Old 03-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #41
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Smile Just bought my weekend pass!

London Lesbian Film Festival
North America's Only Lesbian Film Festival

The films look really interesting this year but this one looks especially intriguing.

Gender Troubles: The Butches
USA, 2016, 54 Min
Butches are not trying to be feminine and failing. They are not going through a rebellious stage or imitating men. Rather they are lesbians who, while being true to their authentic selves, challenge society’s assumptions about what it means to be female.

There are other events too (a dance and brunch w/comedian). Should be a great weekend and passing it along in case anyone is in the area and would like to meet up!
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 01:19 AM   #42
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon View Post
London Lesbian Film Festival
North America's Only Lesbian Film Festival

The films look really interesting this year but this one looks especially intriguing.

Gender Troubles: The Butches
USA, 2016, 54 Min
Butches are not trying to be feminine and failing. They are not going through a rebellious stage or imitating men. Rather they are lesbians who, while being true to their authentic selves, challenge society’s assumptions about what it means to be female.

There are other events too (a dance and brunch w/comedian). Should be a great weekend and passing it along in case anyone is in the area and would like to meet up!
I know it is most likely true but it was a bit of a surprised that this is the only Lesbian Film Festival in North America; that is sad.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #43
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
I know it is most likely true but it was a bit of a surprised that this is the only Lesbian Film Festival in North America; that is sad.
It's not true. Unless they are talking about "at this very second".

I have been to more than one lesbian film festival here in the U.S.

And of course, there are annual queer film festivals all over the U.S. Two of them near me.

Maybe they just did a "quick and dirty" google search?

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #44
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post

And of course, there are annual queer film festivals all over the U.S. Two of them near me.

I'll have you know, Dapper, the investigation is underway--getting to the bottom of this festival's annual claim has become a top priority!

P.S. I'm pretty sure they don't mean "at this very second."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #45
SaltyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Old School Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/she/hey you.....
Relationship Status:
open to the possibilities

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 5

Thanked 1,635 Times in 301 Posts
SaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST Reputation

This is the one of the more renowned film festivals in Canada otherwise known as North of America, it is I have heard quite an enjoyable event for anyone who may be near London.
SaltyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SaltyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #46
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Talking Who is Right: LLFF or Dapper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post

Dapper,

I forgot to get back to you on this, and I'm sure many others have also been waiting with bated breath to hear the results of my investigation after your disputing this event's yearly claim of it being 'North America's Only Lesbian Film Festival.'

I did write the organizers to ask them for verification of the claim, but, unfortunately, I haven't received a response back. I do plan on asking about this yearly claim to an organizer when I attend the event next weekend.

However, after an EXTENSIVE online search (and I do admit the fallibilities of Google), I did not find ONE solely LESBIAN film festival. There were LGBTQ (or some variation of) and Queer and even ones identified as Women's film festivals; however, this is the only one I can find that is solely identified as a LESBIAN FILM FESTIVAL in North America.

Dapper, what were the names of the SOLELY lesbian film festivals you attended? Maybe that will help. As you know, LGBT or QUEER or Women's film festivals will not be allowed as contradicting the London's festival's claim. It must be designated as a soley LESBIAN FILM FESTIVAL in order for your opposition to their claim to be warranted.

P.S. Tickets are still on sale!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #47
Candelion

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her/you
Relationship Status:
He can till my field.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 897 Posts
Candelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Candelion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Candelion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #48
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I'll have you know, Dapper, the investigation is underway--getting to the bottom of this festival's annual claim has become a top priority!

P.S. I'm pretty sure they don't mean "at this very second."
Quote:
Dapper,

I forgot to get back to you on this, and I'm sure many others have also been waiting with bated breath to hear the results of my investigation after your disputing this event's yearly claim of it being 'North America's Only Lesbian Film Festival.'

I did write the organizers to ask them for verification of the claim, but, unfortunately, I haven't received a response back. I do plan on asking about this yearly claim to an organizer when I attend the event next weekend.

However, after an EXTENSIVE online search (and I do admit the fallibilities of Google), I did not find ONE solely LESBIAN film festival. There were LGBTQ (or some variation of) and Queer and even ones identified as Women's film festivals; however, this is the only one I can find that is solely identified as a LESBIAN FILM FESTIVAL in North America.

Dapper, what were the names of the SOLELY lesbian film festivals you attended? Maybe that will help. As you know, LGBT or QUEER or Women's film festivals will not be allowed as contradicting the London's festival's claim. It must be designated as a soley LESBIAN FILM FESTIVAL in order for your opposition to their claim to be warranted.

P.S. Tickets are still on sale!
Not Canadian but my curiosity was piqued so I hunted, too. I found no other strictly lesbian-identified film festivals besides the one you listed Soon.

If you found an additional one, you were a better investigator than I!

There are tons of film festivals but they are all-inclusive: LGBTQ.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #49
Stone-Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 8,417 Times in 2,607 Posts
Stone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Canadian

Lived in Toronto most of my life and love it. Just celebrated Victoria Day long weekend with lots of fireworks. Canada, we do stand on guard for thee. I love this country. I do hope we have a get together somewhere I can attend. I met many American and Canadian lesbians at our last meet in Toronto. Nice bunch of women.
Stone-Butch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stone-Butch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2016, 10:07 PM   #50
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,363 Times in 6,715 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

if Trump wins, I want to move to Canada..his way of doing things is very scary
kittygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 04:17 AM   #51
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Smile Hi Anya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
Not Canadian but my curiosity was piqued so I hunted, too. I found no other strictly lesbian-identified film festivals besides the one you listed Soon.

If you found an additional one, you were a better investigator than I!

There are tons of film festivals but they are all-inclusive: LGBTQ.

This is a new one running this year for the FIRST time. They bill themselves as 'The ONLY All LESBIAN FILM FESTIVAL in the USA!'

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 05:43 AM   #52
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
This is a new one running this year for the FIRST time. They bill themselves as 'The ONLY All LESBIAN FILM FESTIVAL in the USA!'

Love it!

None in California but one in Kentucky!

As the Brits say: brilliant!

Good hunting Soon.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #53
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone-Butch View Post
Lived in Toronto most of my life and love it. Just celebrated Victoria Day long weekend with lots of fireworks. Canada, we do stand on guard for thee. I love this country. I do hope we have a get together somewhere I can attend. I met many American and Canadian lesbians at our last meet in Toronto. Nice bunch of women.
Let me know when your next get together is--maybe I can attend (it's about a four hour drive/train ride for me).
The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #54
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,363 Times in 6,715 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I would love to live in where it rains the most..rain every day would be grand..
kittygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #55
Mel C.
Long-time Member

How Do You Identify?:
WIB - woman identified butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your choice...not really a button for me
Relationship Status:
♡ married 1/1/2019♡

Thanked 6,841 Times in 1,621 Posts
Mel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST Reputation

I'll be in Toronto August 19th-22nd. Anyone up for a get-together?
Mel C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #56
SaltyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Old School Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/she/hey you.....
Relationship Status:
open to the possibilities

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 5

Thanked 1,635 Times in 301 Posts
SaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel C. View Post
I'll be in Toronto August 19th-22nd. Anyone up for a get-together?
I think I might be able to make it....
SaltyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SaltyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #57
A. Spectre

How Do You Identify?:
Butch dominant lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Baby Boi
Relationship Status:
She is my sunrise and sunset.

Thanked 10,781 Times in 1,440 Posts
A. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST Reputation

*Warning! Spoiler Alert. Wimbledon Mens Finals Results

Congratulations to Milos Roanic! The ONLY Canadian mens finalist at Wimbledon.Ever.

A few fun facts about Milos:

1. He’s True To Canada: Despite not being born in Canada (Raonic was born in what is now Podgorica, Montenegro and moved to Canada with his family when he was three years old), he has remained loyal to his Canadian ties. “It’s important to me to defend the Canadian colors. And I don’t just do it in tennis. I might not follow hockey as much as the average Canadian, but I support several Canadian teams,” he said. “Basically, it’s a country with a lot of great things. And so yes, I’m proud to be Canadian.”

5. His Idol Is Pistol Pete: Raonic is very open about the fact that Pete Sampras was his idol growing up, and their similarities are uncanny. Raonic was able to meet him for the first time in San Jose last year and described the moment as “surreal,” saying “It was nice to connect the man to the game that I watched for so many hours. I taped most of his matches and watched them over and over again. If he was playing in Melbourne, my parents would let me stay up. Sampras was the person to study, the model to learn from. It's something else meeting someone you've always looked up to.”

You'll get 'em next time Milos!
A. Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to A. Spectre For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2016, 04:05 AM   #58
MitchM42

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married

MitchM42 Has the BEST ReputationMitchM42 Has the BEST ReputationMitchM42 Has the BEST ReputationMitchM42 Has the BEST ReputationMitchM42 Has the BEST ReputationMitchM42 Has the BEST ReputationMitchM42 Has the BEST ReputationMitchM42 Has the BEST ReputationMitchM42 Has the BEST ReputationMitchM42 Has the BEST ReputationMitchM42 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
if Trump wins, I want to move to Canada..his way of doing things is very scary
Totally agree. However, it is not easy to find work in Canada as an American. Been there, tried that.
MitchM42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MitchM42 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #59
Candelion

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her/you
Relationship Status:
He can till my field.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 897 Posts
Candelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default LIVING IN CANADA IS A PRIVILEGE, NOT A CONSOLATION PRIZE

With the U.S. election less than a week away, the number of celebrities, public figures and everyday people threatening to migrate north should Donald Trump land in the White House are multiplying.

I guess we should feel flattered that our American neighbours consider us a suitable alternative. Like we're the best friend who takes you in after a terrible fight with your boyfriend. Yet, I can't help but feel like a jilted lover reduced to sloppy seconds. Or like first runner-up in a Miss USA pageant. Second choice doesn't really sit well.

Netflix chat show host Chelsea Handler rattled off a roster of celebrities on her show this week who intend to move to Canada should Trump prevail. "I'm going to need to go to Canada if he [Trump] gets elected," she said. "I don't know what the rules are to move there but a lot of us are feeling that way. A lot of us are going to want to leave the country."

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Girls creator Lena Duhnam has set her sights on the West Coast. "I know a lovely place in Vancouver, and I can get my work done from there," she said.

Actor Bryan Cranston has also said he'll move to Canada if Trump is elected president. "Absolutely. I would definitely move. It's not real to me that that would happen. I hope to God it won't," Cranston told the Bestseller Experiment podcast when asked if he would take an extended holiday to Vancouver if Trump is elected.

"It wouldn't be a vacation. I'd be an expatriate," Cranston added.

Actress and fashion darling Chloë Sevigny says she's moving to Nova Scotia, which I'm sure confused a lot of people who perhaps were not aware that it's a Canadian province.

Even beloved American songtress Barbara Streisand told Australian journalist Michael Usher, "I'm either coming to your country, if you'll let me in, or Canada."

While the thought of Babs donning a toque and sharing a plate of poutine with husband James Brolin is completely and utterly appealing, I have bad news for our famous friends. Immigrating to Canada isn't that simple. In fact, unless you marry a Canadian citizen, it's damn near impossible.

Much like Canadians looking to immigrate south, there is no open door policy between our two nations. Swing by for up to six months on a visitor visa, sure. But during that time you are not permitted to work or have access to health care or any other social services. You're simply a tourist.

I'm wondering if Prime Minister Justin Trudeau should hold a press conference to reinforce our immigration policies to ensure there isn't any confusion come November 9. Perhaps another Vogue spread is in order to drive home the message?

More than anything, Americans need to know that living in Canada is not a consolation prize. Living in Canada is like hitting the cultural and geographical jackpot. A country rich in diversity, where natural resources abound and the scenery will take your breath away. A country whose musical contributions include Neil Young, Joni Mitchell and Drake. While we sympathize with our American friends, we're busy opening our borders to refugees who really need it, not privileged people with a lousy Republican candidate.

I have faith in my American friends. I have faith that they'll make the right decision on election day. And I'm all about telling America it's already great, because I live there and I see it for myself every day. But let's be clear -- Canada isn't a second-rate alternative. Living in Canada is a privilege.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/heather...cahpmg00000001
Candelion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Candelion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #60
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

I agree with you. Living in Canada is a privilege, not a consolation prize. I have wanted to live in Canada for many years now, but it is not in the cards for me. I am aware that my American vote or lack of voting resonates globally. I do take this into consideration when i vote at the national level and at the State level. (I live in California and I know California also has a huge sphere of influence in trade and various other matters.)

I have a great deal of respect for your country and it's people. My hope is that Canada and the USA will forever be allies. As for the rich people who can buy their way into almost anything, it must be nice. However most of us cannot. I do care about the fate of my country and I will continue to vote and do what I can to maintain a democracy and work to be a conscientious global and national citizen.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:

Tags
butch, canada, femme