Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #61
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Pansexual/Sapiosexual femmey dyke who likes to crossdress now and then
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her OR ze if I'm crossdressing
Relationship Status:
Floating and walking My path, happy in life.

Thanked 8,694 Times in 2,987 Posts
TheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST Reputation

I love documentaries of all sorts. Can I ask how you post youtube links?
TheMerryFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #62
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,247 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerryFairy View Post
I love documentaries of all sorts. Can I ask how you post youtube links?
First, on the YouTube video, you'll see a link like "blahblah=blahblah. You highlight and copy everything after the "=".

Then come back here and in the response page, you'll see an "Youtube" icon. Click this and it comes up . Paste the link (remember, everything after the =)in between the borders. This should bring up the video link when you hit "post".
Old 12-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #63
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Pansexual/Sapiosexual femmey dyke who likes to crossdress now and then
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her OR ze if I'm crossdressing
Relationship Status:
Floating and walking My path, happy in life.

Thanked 8,694 Times in 2,987 Posts
TheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by guihong View Post
First, on the YouTube video, you'll see a link like "blahblah=blahblah. You highlight and copy everything after the "=".

Then come back here and in the response page, you'll see an "Youtube" icon. Click this and it comes up . Paste the link (remember, everything after the =)in between the borders. This should bring up the video link when you hit "post".
Thank you! I hate feeling so new lol I'm sure it has its perks. I really need to take more time to look around, but I'm more of the "jump in" type.
TheMerryFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #64
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Paul Goodman Changed My Life

Author of the legendary Growing Up Absurd, poet, out-queer family man, pacifist, visionary, co-founfer of Gestalt Therapy, and moral compass for the burgeoning counterculture of the 1960's.

Never heard of this guy. A lot of his stuff is geared toward disenfranchised young males. Cant say the documentary made me like him either.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #65
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

ABOUT THE FILM

Hollywood has made over 4000 films about Native people; over 100 years of movies defining how Indians are seen by the world.

Reel Injun takes an entertaining and insightful look at the Hollywood Indian, exploring the portrayal of North American Natives through the history of cinema.

Travelling through the heartland of America, Cree filmmaker Neil Diamond looks at how the myth of “the Injun” has influenced the world’s understanding – and misunderstanding – of Natives.

With candid interviews with directors, writers, actors and activists, including Clint Eastwood, Jim Jarmusch, Robbie Robertson, Sacheen Littlefeather, John Trudell and Russell Means, clips from hundreds of classic and recent films, including Stagecoach, Little Big Man, The Outlaw Josey Wales, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, and Atanarjuat the Fast Runner, Reel Injun traces the evolution of cinema’s depiction of Native people from the silent film era to today.
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #66
Fatale

How Do You Identify?:
Not your average babe in the woods.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Singular

Fatale Has the BEST ReputationFatale Has the BEST ReputationFatale Has the BEST ReputationFatale Has the BEST ReputationFatale Has the BEST ReputationFatale Has the BEST ReputationFatale Has the BEST ReputationFatale Has the BEST ReputationFatale Has the BEST ReputationFatale Has the BEST ReputationFatale Has the BEST Reputation

I think I've probably listed this film before in this thread, but I'm just so fond of it.

"I Like Killing Flies". It's about the smallest restaurant you have ever seen and the cantankerous, philosophical, greasy guy who cranks out amazing cuisine, scattering gems all the while.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #67
PearlsNLace

How Do You Identify?:
queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
They/Them & her/she
Relationship Status:
Lucky, very lucky

Thanked 1,286 Times in 315 Posts
PearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST Reputation

The Gulabi gang is the subject of the 2010 movie Pink Saris by Kim Longinotto and the 2012 documentary Gulabi Gang by Nishtha Jain.

The first is more film than documentary but the story is powerful and reminds me how strong women are.

It is about women who, at 20,000 strong, have banded together to fight against abuse, rape, and child brides.

Things are changing in India, I am confidant that these women warriors are fundamental, if not direct instruments, to that change.

AND your not alone. thetrevorproject.org
PearlsNLace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PearlsNLace For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #68
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Thanked 3,221 Times in 666 Posts
femmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST Reputation

I Errol Morris.

Love most of his work.

LOVE watching stuff like BBC's Blue Planet, and Human Planet. BluRay makes it spectacular!

Haven't seen The Invisible War, although it's come highly recommended--need to sort of gear up for that one.

Really liked Cave of Forgotten Dreams by Werner Herzog.

Lila Watson

You say you love rain, but you use an umbrella to walk under it.
You say you love sun, but you seek shade when its shining.
You say you love wind, but when its comes you close your window.
So that's why I'm scared, when you say you love me.

-- Bob Marley
femmeInterrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #69
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Thanked 2,683 Times in 562 Posts
Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation
Default Pink Ribbons, Inc.

Pink Ribbons, Inc. is a very eye-opening documentary about the dark side of the pink ribbon campaign for breast cancer.

Has anyone else seen it?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #70
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,927 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Searching for Sugarman (Sixto Rodriguez)

My day began very early with going out shopping for groceries before the sun came up and by the time I had called for a cab to bring me home (with food in tow), I had no idea how that ride would change my plans today. My cab driver had an interesting pair of shades on and I asked him if they were late 60s Vaurnet shades and our conversation, as he drove me home, led to me finding out about a documentary that was only in town for today.

I went to see: Sugarman

It was such a great story about a lesser known man from Detroit - an indie artist, I guess one might say - who apparently was so talented that no one took notice of him. Yeah. Anyway, woven throughout the hour and a half film, I learned about how his recordings ended up in South Africa and for years, he had such a huge following - cult-like, almost.

It really opened my eyes to how the music industry is such a cut-throat business and that artists who are well-known stars by today's standards, are not even half as talented as Sixto Rodrigues (Sugarman).

The film had only three showings today and I happened to be able to walk into the late morning showing of this documentary. I have a feeling it will earn some awards this year at Sundance... it's that good.

Here's a trailer I found for the film on YouTube:

PS/ if you get the chance to see it in your town, I say go see it!
I haven't said much about what a person finds out in the film:
I don't want to spoil it for people.... But seriously, it's very good.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #71
Jean_TX

How Do You Identify?:
via driver's license
Preferred Pronoun?:
Jean
Relationship Status:
Not available

Jean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST Reputation

There are two documentaries that I found remarkable:

The first was presented on the PBS show Nova and was entitled "Dimming The Sun". It described the effect of air clarity on global warming and, surprisingly, explained that some of our efforts to reduce air pollution have been counterproductive.

The second memorable documentary was presented on the PBS show Frontline and was entitled "The Jesus Factor". This program described the rise in political power of the evangelical movement and the manner in which George Bush used this power to attain the presidency.
Jean_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jean_TX For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #72
maryam

How Do You Identify?:
femme-ish
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
taken

maryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_ View Post
There are two documentaries that I found remarkable:

The first was presented on the PBS show Nova and was entitled "Dimming The Sun". It described the effect of air clarity on global warming and, surprisingly, explained that some of our efforts to reduce air pollution have been counterproductive.
I haven't seen it, but I'm going to see if we can get it on the Roku via one of their services. It's interesting that you bring it up because I was talking with a group of people about where we were on 9/11. Both myself and a younger cousin (who was in kindergarten at the time) said that one of our strongest memories of that time was no planes. They had grounded planes worldwide and the atmosphere got so clear that it affected the average temperature that year. We both remember really blue skies and I remember going out to the observatory nearby with my telescope to take advantage of the incredibly clear skies that week.

Okay, in an effort to stay on topic.... I love Ken Burns but was disappointed in the Dust Bowl. I think he kinda phoned that one in. Jazz was much better! But the best one I've seen lately was the Machine that Made Us, which is about Johann Gutenberg. It was interesting to see what he went through. People were really freaked out by what he was doing and one of the biggest, scariest things about it was that parts of the ruling classes realized that more books, made cheaply would put more more information in the hands of the poorer classes. An educated populace was a scary thing!
maryam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #73
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

Himalaya with Michael Palin. I watched this on PBS, but it is available in parts on Youtube:

weatherboi posted on FB today, about how this country is striving to be the first country to have organic farming practices. I love that their country values "Gross National Happiness over Gross Domestic Product".
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #74
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

The Day Carl Sandburg Died

Fascinating movie. Fascinating man. Sandburg’s radical free verse poetry, best known in Chicago Poems, changed 20th century poetry. The two-time Pulitzer Prize winner was also a biographer, a journalist, children’s storyteller, folk song collector, novelist, and autobiographer. He was a captivating performer, entertaining audiences on stage, radio and television enjoying the kind of fame, fortune and recognition that is rarely, if ever, afforded a poet.

Yet, what interested me most was his social activism (women, children, POC) and political activism.

And, they did a wonderful job highlighting the influence of his wife and children on all that he did.

Interesting stuff.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #75
Jean_TX

How Do You Identify?:
via driver's license
Preferred Pronoun?:
Jean
Relationship Status:
Not available

Jean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST ReputationJean_TX Has the BEST Reputation

A new documentary that I think is very worthwhile is "MAKERS: Women Who Make America", which recently aired on PBS. I highly recommend it to anyone who was not around in the '70's and is not fully aware of the struggle for women's rights. The promo blurb:

MAKERS: Women Who Make America tells the remarkable story of the most sweeping social revolution in American history, as women have asserted their rights to a full and fair share of political power, economic opportunity, and personal autonomy. It’s a revolution that has unfolded in public and private, in courts and Congress, in the boardroom and the bedroom, changing not only what the world expects from women, but what women expect from themselves. MAKERS brings this story to life with priceless archival treasures and poignant, often funny interviews with those who led the fight, those who opposed it, and those first generations to benefit from its success. Trailblazing women like Hillary Rodham Clinton, Ellen DeGeneres and Oprah Winfrey share their memories, as do countless women who challenged the status quo in industries from coal-mining to medicine. Makers captures with music, humor, and the voices of the women who lived through these turbulent times the dizzying joy, aching frustration and ultimate triumph of a movement that turned America upside-down.

P.S. The show can be viewed online at http://video.pbs.org/program/makers-...-make-america/
Old 03-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #76
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default The men who built America

Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, Carmegie, Morgan, Ford, the Men Who Built America. Meet the titans who forged the foundation of modern America and created the American Dream. The mini-series shines a spotlight on the influential builders, dreamers and believers whose feats transformed the United States. a nation decaying from the inside after the Civil War, into the greatest economic and technological superpower the world had ever seen.

----------------

3 disks, 6 hours of utter fascination.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #77
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

I can't wait to see this!!!

Beauty in Truth <-- link

Alice Walker has long been an icon to me.

This year's WOW (Women of the World) Film Festival included the world exclusive premiere of 'Alice Walker: Beauty In Truth', a feature documentary film directed by Pratibha Parmar about the life and art of the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of 'The Color Purple'.

After the screening, Mariella Frostrup chaired a Q&A discussion with Alice Walker and Pratibha Parmar.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #78
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Thanked 2,683 Times in 562 Posts
Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation

Just saw this one yesterday:

Very interested. I already knew "Faux News" was a crock but it really gets in depth and connects some of the dots you may have missed. Interesting.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #79
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_On_Fire View Post
Pink Ribbons, Inc. is a very eye-opening documentary about the dark side of the pink ribbon campaign for breast cancer.

Has anyone else seen it?

I ordered it after you posted this. Was an excellent movie containing much information to ponder about the treatment of cancer, the cancer/medical/corporation industry, the marketing of fund raising etc. Interesting and disturbing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #80
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Teddy Roosevelt.....an American Lion.

Another of those movies about a politician with a social conscience who saw, understood, fought for, and brought about changes in government, and redefined its purpose in the lives of the everyday person.

TR was quite a character who had no qualms taking on the captains of industry and loosening their stronghold on the American way of life. Fascinating man, fascinating philosophy, fascinating history.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post: