StillettoDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady
Relationship Status:
Holding the fort on my own

Thanked 3,847 Times in 1,468 Posts
StillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST Reputation
Default Still reading.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillettoDoll View Post
Still reading this...
Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #1342
chai~

How Do You Identify?:
Self possessed Aquarian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Don't call me baby~
Relationship Status:
Deliciously single and loving it.

Thanked 3,384 Times in 864 Posts
chai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputation

I will be picking up,"The Red Tent" from the library today.
I have wanted to read it for quite some time now.
It's supposed to rain all weekend, so reading the days away will be a guilt free indulgence!
chai~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chai~ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #1343
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,439 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

i love the red tent! hope you enjoy it

just started feminism for real edited by jessica yee and loving it so far.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #1344
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,136 Times in 6,415 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/161218281X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=anisoptera-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creative ASIN=161218281X"]"Getting Dunn" by Thomas Schreck[/ame]. It was a mixed bag for me. Strong female ex combat vet but she cries--all the time. I will want to read the next if there is one. I guess this goes down as one of those summer beach reads.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #1345
TenderKnight

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Poly Transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

TenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST Reputation

Re-reading the Dune series by Frank Herbert.. I am not going in sequence, but have read all of them a few times, so I can pick up on the story pretty quick, lol.. Love the series and am wanting to read more of the prequels, but haven't taken that plunge yet.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #1346
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,582 Times in 4,687 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

and

Old 05-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #1347
G Snap!

How Do You Identify?:
gay. I'm very happy, thank you!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss
Relationship Status:
Chefhmboyrd's seeing eye blonde

Thanked 1,109 Times in 229 Posts
G Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am reading "the Picture of Dorian Gray". I saw the movie on Netflix a couple of weeks ago... This is usually how I stumble across good classic reads.

I love Dune, TenderNight, and have also read Dune Messiah. I have and love the Sci-Fi's version of the Dune movie and won't lend it out to anyone. I need to check out one of the used book stores around here and see if I can trade in for some more of the series. I am currently on a "absolute necessity" with books, as I tried to kill myself moving them last year.
G Snap! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G Snap! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #1348
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,113 Times in 2,325 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Plain Wisdom: An Invitation into an Amish Home and the Hearts of Two Women
Cindy Woodsmall & Miriam Flaud
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #1349
TenderKnight

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Poly Transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

TenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Snap! View Post
I am reading "the Picture of Dorian Gray". I saw the movie on Netflix a couple of weeks ago... This is usually how I stumble across good classic reads.

I love Dune, TenderNight, and have also read Dune Messiah. I have and love the Sci-Fi's version of the Dune movie and won't lend it out to anyone. I need to check out one of the used book stores around here and see if I can trade in for some more of the series. I am currently on a "absolute necessity" with books, as I tried to kill myself moving them last year.
ohhh.. I like "The Picture of Dorina Grey" too! Awesome story.. lol.. It speaks so much now about the gay clubbing community around here in SD. lol

The Dune series is awesome.. Wait until you get to "God Emperor of Dune".. It will blow your mind The scope of the books is HUGE, and it's cool because it all follows along the main story arch.

Enjoy!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #1350
Mr Nice Guy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kind, sweet, loving, romantic and a rare Butch. :)
Relationship Status:
I don't drive a Uhaul. :)

Thanked 4,894 Times in 1,307 Posts
Mr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST Reputation

The Covenant of Genesis by Andy McDeemott

*** it's an adventure series.
Mr Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr Nice Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #1351
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Snap! View Post

Go to McKay's. Or better yet, go to McKay's and make your man buy you a Kindle there. The Nashville Public Library does loans/check out of Kindle books I believe. So you don't even have to spend the money to download them. And it weighs a lotttttt less than those boxes of books.

I'm currently reading Bitterblue, the 3rd book in the Graceling series. I also have the first four books of Fire and Ice loaded on the Kindle when I get done with this book.
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #1352
Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible, but only up to a point.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,701 Times in 737 Posts
Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation

The novella _Albert Nobbs_ by George Moore. This 1913 novella has key elements that were changed for the film with Glenn Close. It is a good quick read.

“Self-plagiarism is style.” Alfred Hitchcock

Formerly known as Graphiteta2s
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julien For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #1353
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,694 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished Let's Pretend This Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir). There were certainly some laugh-out-loud phrases and anectdotes, but overall, I found it lacking. Jenny Lawson is best known as a blogger ("The Bloggess") who writes snarky and self-referential posts about being caught in (and creating) embarrassing social situations. This sounds like the perfect reading material for a David Sedaris enthusiast (me), but Lawson's snippy blog-style writing just doesn't translate to a longer work. I never really got engrossed in the tales of her manic life; instead, it was more like a stand-up comedy act, complete with SENTENCES IN ALL CAPS where she's actually screaming the one-liners from the page. She constantly got detoured off the main narrative, then made detours off the detours... I felt like I needed a flow chart to keep up.

If you love her blog, you'll probably love her book... but the reason the blog-style of writing works for blogs is because they're meant to be short and irreverent, and it's okay to throw in non sequiturs because each post is less than 500 words. But for a 300 page memoir? Time to modify the writing style.

** Warning: Shameless self-promotion to follow**

Now I'm reading Deaf American Prose: 1980 - 2010 (Gallaudet Deaf Literature Series), a collection of essays by Deaf and Hard of Hearing authors. It's a terrific anthology, though I admit I'm biased since I'm one of the authors.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #1354
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,136 Times in 6,415 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

How about what book am I NEVER reading? Anything else by Orson Scott Card. And that's hard because I really liked his work. Until I read this. He's entitled to his opinion. I'm also entitled to mine.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #1355
BrownEyedAngel

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
15 years & still in love....

BrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST Reputation

I am currently reading The Twelveth Transforming by Pauline Gedge......fictionalized Egyptian history.....Child of the Morning is an amazing book by the same author

Last edited by BrownEyedAngel; 05-29-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Misspelling
BrownEyedAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrownEyedAngel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #1356
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

Academically Adrift by Richard Arum it"s a compelling book, that sure clears up alot of nagging questions, reinforces what I already suspected.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #1357
Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible, but only up to a point.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,701 Times in 737 Posts
Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
How about what book am I NEVER reading? Anything else by Orson Scott Card. And that's hard because I really liked his work. Until I read this. He's entitled to his opinion. I'm also entitled to mine.
Arwen,
Thank you for the link on Orson Scott Card, I just had to pull out this quote from the article.

"In fact, the scientific evidence we have points in the opposite direction: Same-sex attraction is not a strait jacket; people's desires change over time; gay people still have choices; a reproductive dysfunction like same-sex attraction is not a death sentence for your DNA or for your desire to have a family in which children grow up with male and female parents to model appropriate gender roles."

The words "reproductive dysfunction like same-sex attraction" caught my eye and then some.

This article is sure to raise some eyebrows and rub people the wrong way.

Julien

“Self-plagiarism is style.” Alfred Hitchcock

Formerly known as Graphiteta2s

Last edited by Julien; 05-29-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: clarification
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julien For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #1358
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,672 Times in 7,650 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Heroes For My Daughter - Brad Meltzer

What a sweet book. Love the people he picked as heroes to teach his daughter about life and the power of the human spirit. Short, to the point, stories of the accomplishments of a wide variety of women, men, and kids.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #1359
SimpleAlaskanBoy

How Do You Identify?:
Bisexual trans guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Daddy to a sweet daisy.

Thanked 1,011 Times in 296 Posts
SimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST Reputation

Trying to finish A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving

<-----Pocky Jedi

"There's only one rule I know of babies-G-d damn it, you've got to be kind."
-Kurt Vonnegut (G-d Bless You, Mr. Rosewater)
SimpleAlaskanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SimpleAlaskanBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #1360
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,231 Times in 3,306 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation

Holiness, Truth and the Presence Of God
~by Francis Frangipane
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading