Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Butch Zone

The Butch Zone For all things "Butch"

Old 07-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #61
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,960 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterfulButch View Post
Thanks for the input.

It feels like I’m inadvertently taking away her choice as to outing herself and for situations like this where it has negative ramifications, that’s something I’m struggling to reconcile.
I'm not butch, so excuse me for butting in on the butch thread. I bolded the part that spoke to me....

The proudest moments in MY everyday life, are the moments when i am on my Kasey's arm (butch/gender male), and i am seen as her wife. I am not "seen" as queer or femme most other times. I won't go into how we deal with the attention, Dapper gave good feedback on that.

Your lady chooses to "out" herself when she steps out with you, enjoy that blessing.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #62
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,816 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

My femme’s pretty savvy and certainly more street-smart than I am so it’s not her ability to deal with such situations that troubles me. I’m just bothered that she’d find herself in that position in the first place. It feels like I’m inadvertently taking away her choice as to outing herself and for situations like this where it has negative ramifications, that’s something I’m struggling to reconcile.

You make an interesting point about cat calls though. I tend not to think about them because they are outside my experience but perhaps this is not as wholly alien to her as I think (and should be to everyone).
I have two observations.

The first is that I have always loved being with my Butch lesbian partners because it is the only time that I am recognized for who and what I am: a lesbian.

As a femme, I have always been mistaken for straight and it has always gotten really old to have that assumption made about me.

My second observation is one that may sound strange. Perhaps it was borne of always feeling that I was not pretty or sexy enough as a woman, starting as a teenager but I secretly liked the subtle (not overt) looks or attention I always got from men. That is hard to admit here but it is true. I always ignored them but on the inside, it felt validating, in some way. Socialized to feel that way, I guess.

I never got that attention from lesbians when I was by myself, because they dismissed me without a thought, as a straight woman.

I felt a real pang inside myself as I began to get older and became one of the invisible older women. On one hand, it was a relief to no longer deal with attention that truly was not wanted but on the other; it was a formal declaration of my own aging process.

Now that I have accepted my older woman status, I notice that my (older) Butch and I get barely a glance out in public.

I don't worry about a potential problem in the same way I did when I was young and with young butches.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #63
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I’m just bothered that she’d find herself in that position in the first place. It feels like I’m inadvertently taking away her choice as to outing herself and for situations like this where it has negative ramifications, that’s something I’m struggling to reconcile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post

The proudest moments in MY everyday life, are the moments when i am on my Kasey's arm (butch/gender male),

Your lady chooses to "out" herself when she steps out with you, enjoy that blessing.
It is true that for the femmes who choose masculine looking butches (who are therefore assumed to be lesbian), they are outing themselves. However, they know that and they are choosing to be with you. What Ms. Tinkerbelly said and what Anya said after her I have heard before from partners. These women feel proud when they are with us. For some femmes they appreciate the visibility that being with a masculine female bodied person affords them.

The bottom line is that your partner knows she is outing herself when she is with you and she knows that things could become uncomfortable at times. It kind of comes with the territory of dating a butch. We are lucky indeed.

Side note, it is kind of weird that you haven't brought this up to her. If you have, and she says it isn't a problem, believe her!

Good discussion. Thanks for bringing it to the thread.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #64
Ascot

How Do You Identify?:
Preppy Butch artist
Relationship Status:
She’s wild about me.

Thanked 2,487 Times in 549 Posts
Ascot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST Reputation

I'm so happy to see that this thread still has a pulse.

Reading the last several posts about Femmes so beautifully choosing to out themselves every time they accompany us has me thinking about how it feels to be the other party in that configuration. I've certainly had the experience of feeling...cushioned. That's the closest word I can find for how it feels. Even as I feel more of everything I am, there's also a softness that seems to hover mere millimeters above everything. I'm pretty sure my walk changes a bit. Sometimes my biceps tighten, my shoulders straighten. I can feel my pride on my skin. Shit that might really annoy me when flying solo often becomes really funny with a partner in crime.

The feeling I don't have to carry is how suddenly people are seeing me differently. Likely no one's perception of me has changed because someone else of a certain sort is by my side. I get to be the same masculinely inclined dyke everyone always sees. I understand how many Femmes love having the validation and enjoy, even knowing the possible risks when being seen with us, finally being seen the way they see themselves. I love that our being with you can afford you that.

Thank you taking that on every time you step out with us.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #65
Tuff Stuff

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,317 Times in 505 Posts
Tuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST Reputation

I always get the typical agnorant stares and suspicious looks,even in this day and age.I have long hair (half way down the back of my neck) today and I still get strangers coming up and asking me if i'm a man or a woman.It does not seem to bother me anymore,of course if I cut my hair extremely short and for my safety,still have to clear my throat everytime I enter a women's restroom.I tell those who are curious that i'm a butch woman and the same to those who are not.Most people accept me (i'm friendy about it) and to those who don't I just ignore.That's all I have for now on this subject.
Tuff Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tuff Stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #66
Daisy Chain

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Hy calls me Hys Kitten

Thanked 1,810 Times in 448 Posts
Daisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascot View Post
I'm so happy to see that this thread still has a pulse.

Reading the last several posts about Femmes so beautifully choosing to out themselves every time they accompany us has me thinking about how it feels to be the other party in that configuration. I've certainly had the experience of feeling...cushioned. That's the closest word I can find for how it feels. Even as I feel more of everything I am, there's also a softness that seems to hover mere millimeters above everything. I'm pretty sure my walk changes a bit. Sometimes my biceps tighten, my shoulders straighten. I can feel my pride on my skin. Shit that might really annoy me when flying solo often becomes really funny with a partner in crime.

The feeling I don't have to carry is how suddenly people are seeing me differently. Likely no one's perception of me has changed because someone else of a certain sort is by my side. I get to be the same masculinely inclined dyke everyone always sees. I understand how many Femmes love having the validation and enjoy, even knowing the possible risks when being seen with us, finally being seen the way they see themselves. I love that our being with you can afford you that.

Thank you taking that on every time you step out with us.
Beautiful post Ascot. Thank you for sharing that.

Daisy
Daisy Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daisy Chain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #67
Ascot

How Do You Identify?:
Preppy Butch artist
Relationship Status:
She’s wild about me.

Thanked 2,487 Times in 549 Posts
Ascot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST Reputation

I think this is a good place for this. Some might find it a tad long, but it is nonetheless interesting.

http://www.afterellen.com/tv/443117-butch-back
Old 07-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #68
Femminator

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine pronouns
Relationship Status:
Married, but not legally in my state!

Femminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST Reputation

Just a few days ago my Butch and I went to the Fair and took our girls for the day. They are teens so they went off to ride the rides and enjoy themselves, leaving just my Butch and myself to shop vendors and enjoy the sites. My Butch carried my packages for me, and we stopped while she got me my favorite, Cotton Candy. We were walking away and she helped to guide me through the crowd with a hand at the small of my back, when I noticed these two guys giving her a dirty look. I put my chin up and strode on past them, not even giving them any regard. I am ALWAYS proud to be with my Butch. It honestly worries her more than it does me, but it's because she fears for my safety. She told me if anything were to ever happen, I was to run and not look back.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:08 AM   #69
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

BUMP BUMP

I brought this topic up for discussion in a facebook group that I belong to, so far not many responses but this thread pretty much has summed up how some butches feel.

Albert Einstein
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #70
Kosmo

How Do You Identify?:
just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
This seat is taken

Kosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST Reputation

Still get stares mostly from older folks. I find it humorous now since I am older also.

I just love being gay. I would go so far as to say I am thankful of it. Told my girlfriend many times that if I were male, I'd want to be gay.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #71
ardentfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Fierce Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
~daydreaming~

ardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Hope y’all don’t mind my reviving this post and adding my two cents.

As a femme, my identity is inherently defined in contrast to butches. I wouldn’t be who I am or love who I love without them. In this sense, I feel completely comfortable stepping out in public with butches because my identity is affirmed in the eyes of passersby and reflected back to me in my butch companion’s smile. Since I am straight-passing, many of today’s hip, anti-butch/femme lesbians don’t accept me because my femininity isn’t considered subversive enough. In a way, being seen with a butch in a public space allows me to feel both empowered by my femininity and subversive of heteropatriarchal values.

Moreover, it gives me the opportunity to reflect on the sacrifices those who came before us made just so we could step out the door together. Butches and femmes fought both literally and figuratively for this right. When I’m out with a butch, I feel the weight of our shared history resting equally on our shoulders. Furthermore, it’s a source of pride for me to walk down the street on a wonderful butch’s arm. It allows me to feel like my truest, most authentic self. And, as I’ve posted about previously, the way in which I navigate the world via my femininity shifts when I’m with a butch. My presentation exists not for male consumption (which I experience in the form of catcalls, harassment, and the like), but for myself and for those I love.

Part of me would have to say I actually enjoy this Otherization – I’m not saying I relish the stares and the derisive comments. Rather, they are a reminder that I have access to something special that my harassers will never understand. These stares and rude comments have made me stronger, fiercer. But they have also made me more empathetic towards others who are different. In short, they have made me a better person.

So, when I get teased or harassed or even threatened when I am seen with a butch (or any gender nonconforming person, for that matter), part of me is grateful because they have molded me into who I am.

I can’t speak for all femmes, but I have met many who have felt this way.

Anyway, here’s to remaining boldly, unapologetically ourselves.
ardentfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ardentfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #72
Kosmo

How Do You Identify?:
just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
This seat is taken

Kosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST Reputation

It's the "otherness" that I embrace. I'm not overtly butch looking. Not the typical gay romance novel butch who's 5'-8", slim, blue eyed, long fingers, deep voice, and on, and on.

Like everyone here, I navigate the straight world every day and my butchness may or may not be recognized or acknowledged. I'm visible to myself and my sweetheart and it's that "otherness" that makes me smile.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:02 AM   #73
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Weird one, my Partner is the calm. cool, collected butch who needs not be in someone's face about (except as it pertains to family), She just has this aura . She will walk into a room (really not meaning to), and be the center of attention without even wanted the attention. It's like a Butch (or I think it's her Alpha bubble) and Her aura just walked in. She never makes anyone else feel any lesser. Often comes in and helps with whatever project is being done.

This was just for comparison. I am the one on T and top surgery. She doesn't seem to need the validations of the world, but encourages me to pursue them for me to validate to myself , the fact of butchness.
cathexis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cathexis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 01:22 AM   #74
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathexis View Post
Weird one, my Partner is the calm. cool, collected butch who needs not be in someone's face about (except as it pertains to family), She just has this aura . She will walk into a room (really not meaning to), and be the center of attention without even wanted the attention. It's like a Butch (or I think it's her Alpha bubble) and Her aura just walked in. She never makes anyone else feel any lesser. Often comes in and helps with whatever project is being done.

This was just for comparison. I am the one on T and top surgery. She doesn't seem to need the validations of the world, but encourages me to pursue them for me to validate to myself , the fact of butchness.

I don't see anything wrong with seeking validation at all. I think its awesome that your partner encourages you to be your true self!
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #75
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,585 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

I suppose in this day and age, Miss Hathaway could be mooning over Ellie May instead of Jethrow...
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #76
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

visibility and attitude a winning combo IMHO
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 05:53 PM   #77
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Visibility with a smile, can't beat that IMHO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #78
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,151 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post

visibility and attitude a winning combo IMHO
Well, now. That's exactly what I wanted to see before I turn in for the night. Thanks, homoe.

DAMN, she's hot.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #79
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post
Well, now. That's exactly what I wanted to see before I turn in for the night. Thanks, homoe.

DAMN, she's hot.
You're most welcome Cheryl...
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #80
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

That's a pose that states confidence IMHO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post: