Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 03-14-2011, 03:19 AM   #21
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

"Muriel's Wedding" is one of my favorite all-time movies. Especially delicious because I see it as "queer," although the plot is superficially "straight." Remember those years in the 90s when Australian film was so fabulous?
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #22
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
Oh HELL to the yes on that!
Oh Hell to the yes is soo right, but I get Susan Sarandon!!! She cannot possible be un-hot. I have seen her in roles that played by others would have been gross ... but by her, the are Hot hot hot. mmm mmm mmm

Now give me that fan!!! (Oh! Sorry - forgot to say "please.")
Smooches,
Keri

iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:00 AM   #23
SelfMadeMan

How Do You Identify?:
Transsexual Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married to The Woman of My Dreams <3

Thanked 2,669 Times in 527 Posts
SelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST Reputation

Some must-sees (IMHO) from the Trans genre...

Soldier's Girl - It's hard to watch, it's a true story about a soldier who falls in love with a transwoman, not for the faint of heart, but very well done and an important story.

Normal - I've watched this movie soooo many times and love it. And it makes me get that painful lump in my throat every time. You HAVE to see this if you haven't already - Jessica Lange and Tom Wilkinson are both incredible in this.

Boys Don't Cry - Most of you have probably seen this, but can't make a list without it.

And a wonderful, sad, but important documentary if you haven't seen it.
Southern Comfort, the story of a man killed by an ignorant medical establishment.

SelfMadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SelfMadeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #24
greenheart

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Single

greenheart Has the BEST Reputationgreenheart Has the BEST Reputationgreenheart Has the BEST Reputationgreenheart Has the BEST Reputationgreenheart Has the BEST Reputationgreenheart Has the BEST Reputationgreenheart Has the BEST Reputationgreenheart Has the BEST Reputationgreenheart Has the BEST Reputationgreenheart Has the BEST Reputationgreenheart Has the BEST Reputation

I love this Television soap opera in United Kingdom "Bad Girls" season 1-4. with helen and nikki as the main character. i fall in love with this movie because their acting are natural.i got hooked with this movie. i wish somebody will give me the DVD version of this movie and send it to me here in the Philippines. and i love also the book "Bad Girls The Inside Story."
greenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #25
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation
Exclamation

My favorite is "The incredible True Adventures of Two Girls in Love." I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet. True, it's light weight fun most of the time.

Great writing, and I love that a true hard core butch relative Randy Dean lives with. Representin'
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #26
Pixie

How Do You Identify?:
Equal Opportunity Friend
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girl
Relationship Status:
in service

Thanked 4,104 Times in 1,332 Posts
Pixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST Reputation

Bound
Boys Don't Cry
Soldiers Girl
Tipping the Velvet
Mango Kiss

-Pixie-

Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #27
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #28
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
"Muriel's Wedding" is one of my favorite all-time movies. Especially delicious because I see it as "queer," although the plot is superficially "straight." Remember those years in the 90s when Australian film was so fabulous?
That movie was super great! Toni Collette is a super fun actress. (I love United States of Tara so much). I like her in Connie and Carla a LOT. I don't know how more people aren't obsessed with her.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #29
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

This might not be what you were looking for....but, for me, this one is what it's all about....

Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #30
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

Bound - fanning self -

Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly . I would watch Jennifer watching paint dry. Yum. Still one of my all time favorite movies.

There is a great documentary called "The Celluloid Closet", interesting to see how the gay/lesbain world has been portrayed in movies throughout movie history.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #31
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Oh, and I'm not going to lie. I genuinely LOVE this movie:

And the soundtrack is fucking awesome.

(No, it's not specifically a "lesbian movie". But it IS a really rad movie!)
Quote:
I hated this movie:

Oh god, I remember all of my friends were like "you haaaaave to see this movie! the fingernail clipping scene is soooooo hot." I just really -really- hated it.

But, you know. Clearly lots of people liked it - so there's a chance that you might.
I love, love, LOVED But I'm a Cheerleader. Go Fish was okay. Slow, but okay.

I haven't seen Boys Don't Cry. I've made active choices not to. It's just one of those movies that I know what happened and that's enough. I don't need to see it played out.

I got angry and sad with Southern Comfort. Such a stupid system we live in.

I absolutely LOVED If These Walls Could Talk 2 but couldn't find a trailer so there is a clip from each time frame
:

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #32
uncommondialogue

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian; BEMME: Femme with a Butch brain; think Jill from The REAL L Word
Preferred Pronoun?:
SHE
Relationship Status:
Single and looking

uncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputation
Default Loving Annabelle

Loving Annabelle is a good movie. Some hot love scenes in it, too
uncommondialogue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to uncommondialogue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #33
maryam

How Do You Identify?:
femme-ish
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
taken

maryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queerasfck View Post
My favorite is "The incredible True Adventures of Two Girls in Love." I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet. True, it's light weight fun most of the time.

Great writing, and I love that a true hard core butch relative Randy Dean lives with. Representin'
I think it's really important to plug the fluffy stuff too! Because so much of "our" theater is still so incredibly grim. Every movie mentioned above that I've seen (I haven't seen all of them, mind you) has got these incredibly moving and "important" themes, scenes and stuff. It almost seems like every LGBTQ movie has to have a deeper, meaningful part that Must Be There Or Else. I seriously think it's a hold over from the gay and lesbian pulp fiction era, where the only way to get your book published was if it didn't have a happy ending. I will wrack my brain and try to remember the source for that bit, but, it's been about 20 years since I took the class where we covered it. But basically, from what I remember, the reason that these novels didn't get a happy ending is because they couldn't actively promote an "an unhealthy" or "sick" relationship. If the lesbians fell in love, they had to lose their love in the end. Via murder, suicide or sanitarium or whatever. It's kind of ironic that pulp fiction is one of the places where the BF dynamic appears regularly.

So that's why I think we have so many heavily emotional lesbian movies and television. And it's really quite sad. I think movies like "Boys Don't Cry" and such are a good thing to have around, but I'd love to see a good, BF or lesbian RomCom someday. Bring on the fluff! Loving women doesn't make us tragic, and it's time that media started to understand that as well.

Sorry if I'm not making sense tonight. I'm pretty tired so I'm probably falling into bed soon and I'll come back in the morning and be all "dude, what was I trying to say here?"
maryam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:55 AM   #34
MarquisdeShey

How Do You Identify?:
bent
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her/They
Relationship Status:
Minding my own business.

Thanked 4,726 Times in 921 Posts
MarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST Reputation

I love love this movie.

Not a movie, but a lovely (short) series

This is also beautiful

Oh, wait... one more *S

And I knew I was a lesbian when...

Oh...I know... I will shut up... Last last one *S

The Following User Says Thank You to MarquisdeShey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 04:15 AM   #35
alexri

How Do You Identify?:
-

Thanked 2,799 Times in 468 Posts
alexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputation

Want to see but I have not seen yet.

I grew up with Go Fish. I remember when Go Fish, Desert Hearts, etc. was all we had for a while. I worked at a Blockbuster Video and there was a knowing look, a smile and a nod whenever I rang up anyone with these movies.

Another one that overall is funny, but I have mixed feelings about the ending for the lead character.

To help find movies, here is the YouTube movie trailer thread for Wolfe Video, a major distributor for LGBT films: https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfeVideo/videos?view=0
alexri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alexri For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #36
GretaGable

How Do You Identify?:
Xena femme
Relationship Status:
Single

GretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST Reputation

Some of my faves:

1. Desert Hearts--I think it's just one of the most beautiful love stories ever made. I showed it to an ex-girlfriend and she thought it was very sexy--and she royally cracked up when Vivian said, "I'm not taking my bathrobe off." (Yeah, we all know how long that lasted)

2. Saving Face--Adorable story of Asian lesbians.

3. But I'm a Cheerleader--Adorable and wryly humorous at the same time. True story: In college I worked at a video store that rented this title; a lady brought it back demanding a refund because, in her words, "I thought it was about cheerleading, not lesbians!"

4. Cynara--A lot of lesbians hate this, but I love Victorian films and culture and I loved the words and imagery presented in this very unique film.

5. When Night is Falling--Beautiful, sexy and very arty.

One I hated:

1. The Killing of Sister George: This perpetually drunk older actress loses her job on a TV show, as well as her hot but really cray cray girlfriend, who carries a doll around with her and talks to it a lot. Yeah, I've heard that this film was one of the earliest depictions of lesbian life; but groundbreaking doesn't equal remotely enjoyable. It gave me nightmares, I hated it.
GretaGable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GretaGable For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #37
GretaGable

How Do You Identify?:
Xena femme
Relationship Status:
Single

GretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST Reputation
Default Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkeri1 View Post
Oh Hell to the yes is soo right, but I get Susan Sarandon!!! She cannot possible be un-hot. I have seen her in roles that played by others would have been gross ... but by her, the are Hot hot hot. mmm mmm mmm

Now give me that fan!!! (Oh! Sorry - forgot to say "please.")
Smooches,
Keri
Such an amazing, sexy woman. When I watched Bull Durham I wanted to see her hook up with her young female protégé--I loved it when she told her, "We all deserve to wear white." When I watched Thelma and Louise I wanted her to hook up with Geena Davis. When I watched Stepmom I wanted her to hook up with Julia Roberts, OK, just kidding on the last one.
GretaGable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #38
MsBluem

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones are fine
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 1,845 Times in 372 Posts
MsBluem Has the BEST ReputationMsBluem Has the BEST ReputationMsBluem Has the BEST ReputationMsBluem Has the BEST ReputationMsBluem Has the BEST ReputationMsBluem Has the BEST ReputationMsBluem Has the BEST ReputationMsBluem Has the BEST ReputationMsBluem Has the BEST ReputationMsBluem Has the BEST ReputationMsBluem Has the BEST Reputation

But I'm a Cheerleader is a perennial favorite for me.

I also really enjoy Better than Chocolate. Haven't seen it in years though.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #39
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Facing Mirrors is one of the most intense films I've ever seen and I definitely recommend it. It's the story of an Iranian transguy, his friendship with a female taxi driver and his struggle with family.

Oh! and this year at Inside Out we saw this Lesbian Shorts thing that had a sports theme. All the short films in it were good, but there was this great one called Aquaporko that was about a queer fat femme synchronised swimming group from Australia. It was a lot of fun and really cool, and would definitely recommend if it tours a queer film festival near you.
"Aquaporko! is the story of Melbourne's fat femme synchronized swim team who are sculling, egg-beating and high-kicking toward their first-ever live performance. Filmmaker and fat activist Kelli Jean Drinkwater follows the team and uncovers a world of sisterhood, queer community and radical body politics."
http://www.insideout.ca/torontofesti...rts-body-break
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 10:42 PM   #40
gotoseagrl

How Do You Identify?:
old-fashioned queer stone submissive girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
mermaid, *very* lucky babygirl
Relationship Status:
Saltwater mermaid ♡

Thanked 6,116 Times in 1,726 Posts
gotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputation

Cloudburst

gotoseagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gotoseagrl For This Useful Post: