JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Thanked 13,995 Times in 3,685 Posts
JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation

The Sound and the Fury... for American Lit... Someone save me...
Old 02-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #1142
Melissa

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
married

Melissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST Reputation

Shiver by Lisa Jackson. I just started it. Very creepy.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melissa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #1143
ONLY

How Do You Identify?:
well my girl calls me honeybear, sugarbear, sexy beast, hot tamale.....
Preferred Pronoun?:
female pronouns
Relationship Status:
Married to my Rare Beauty with a Beautiful Soul.....SS

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,735 Times in 679 Posts
ONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST Reputation

I am now reading the 12th novel in the Anita Blake series "Incubus Dreams" by Laurell K. Hamilton. Thanks again to my girl, SS , for getting me hooked on the series

ONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ONLY For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #1144
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,603 Times in 3,972 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I am starting the hunger games today...I want to read it before I see the movie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #1145
gotoseagrl

How Do You Identify?:
old-fashioned queer stone submissive girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
mermaid, *very* lucky babygirl
Relationship Status:
Saltwater mermaid ♡

Thanked 6,116 Times in 1,726 Posts
gotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputation

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy ... lots and lots of pages.

gotoseagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gotoseagrl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #1146
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

A Mercy
by Toni Morrison

True poetry in the writing, but gut wrenching and sad.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #1147
LeftWriteFemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Daddy's good girl

Thanked 12,321 Times in 5,198 Posts
LeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Stoneheart by Charlie Fletcher
Please take a look at my work
Click on flashing smilie to see my website

To look at my Daddy/girl erotica book Click on pompom girl to see Elbows on the Table, Palms Flat
LeftWriteFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeftWriteFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #1148
wolfsgirl

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
Firmly attached...

wolfsgirl Has the BEST Reputationwolfsgirl Has the BEST Reputationwolfsgirl Has the BEST Reputationwolfsgirl Has the BEST Reputationwolfsgirl Has the BEST Reputationwolfsgirl Has the BEST Reputationwolfsgirl Has the BEST Reputationwolfsgirl Has the BEST Reputationwolfsgirl Has the BEST Reputationwolfsgirl Has the BEST Reputationwolfsgirl Has the BEST Reputation

Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children by Ransom Riggs.
wolfsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfsgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #1149
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

finished the hunger games trilogy. i can relate a lot to what katzchen wrote about it, being a survivor myself. i was kind of underwhelmed by the writing and found a lot of things frustrating (the ends of the books felt rushed, as though the author wanted to explain the plot tie-ups rather than actually writing them, the beginning of the last book is corny and boring, etc.). some of the violence wasn't written very believably. (some of it was.) i did really like the world creation and dystopian aspects, though, and i think by the middle of the final book the characters were all very realistic to me - especially the main character - not always likeable but very realistic. i enjoyed the last 2/3rds of the final book a lot. the rest was kind of meh.

think i'm going to read drag king dreams next.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #1150
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

actually i lied, i promised my friend i'd read forty rules of love first, so that's next
The Following User Says Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #1151
Estella

How Do You Identify?:
Straightforward Femme. What you see is what you get.
Preferred Pronoun?:
We
Relationship Status:
Sadie, Sadie ... married lady.

Estella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST Reputation

Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips. Fluffy & funny ...
Old 02-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #1152
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

I am going to upload The Hunger Games to my Nook...I am looking forward to reading them since 9 our of 10 people I have spoken with have loved them. I was also told about The Wheel (s) of time series going to look into this series. Has anyone read this series?

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #1153
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
I am going to upload The Hunger Games to my Nook...I am looking forward to reading them since 9 our of 10 people I have spoken with have loved them. I was also told about The Wheel (s) of time series going to look into this series. Has anyone read this series?
The Wheel of Time series starts out really well, but was dragged out far too long. Probably should have ended after about 3 books....
Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #1154
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
i agree with justjo - wheel of time is one of my favorite fantasy series but it's very long and sometimes boring/frustrating in parts. a song of ice and fire by george r.r. martin is another great epic series though. and if you're looking for something more along the lines of the hunger games (shorter ya fantasy) check out the wolves of mercy falls trilogy by maggie stiefvater
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #1155
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,984 Times in 9,936 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishah View Post
actually i lied, i promised my friend i'd read forty rules of love first, so that's next
"Forty Rules of Love First" has got to be the next book I get at Powells
(for summer reading).

Thank you, aishah.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
-x-x-x-x-x-x-
x-x-x-x-x-
-x-x-x-x
x-x-x
-x-

I am about a quarter of the way into the newest book I've been reading lately.

Boo, Catherine (Jan 2012). Behind the beautiful forevers. New York, NY: Random House Publishers. NYTs review (LINK).

When I'm through reading this book, I'm taking a break from reading books that are new to me. I like to sit and meld with them. I record notes in mine (thoughts I have while reading certain passages)... What about any of you here: do you find yourself doing that too?
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2012, 02:17 AM   #1156
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

it's just called "forty rules of love" and it's by turkish author elif shafak (i said 'first' because i meant i have to read it first before i read drag king dreams...hehe!) i started it earlier this evening though and it's really wonderful! and you're welcome.
http://www.elifshafak.com/kitaplar/the_frol.asp

how do you like "behind the beautiful forevers"?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2012, 05:17 AM   #1157
Daktari

• Memoirs of Munich by Jones.T, Cooper.D, and Butler.R.A.
  • The Origins of the Second World War by Taylor.A.J.P.
  • Munich, The Appeasement Crisis by Faber.D
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #1158
Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,739 Times in 644 Posts
Tawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

here's my take on The Hunger Games...

I start with a disclaimer. I like stuff that makes other people roll their eyes. I LIKE Keanue Reeves acting. I can easily get immersed into moves and books and even if I notice problems - as long as you don't assault me - I'll work with you. Heck even if you do assault me, if like the way you write - I'll still work with you.

What I really liked about The Hunger Games is the IMO more realistic portrayal of someone who is put into traumatic experiences - particularly the end of the book. I don't want to spoil it for anyone so I'll just leave it at that and the ones who have read it will hopefully understand what I'm talking about. If not, rep or pm me and I'll explain

I enjoyed falling in love with Katniss. She was young, she was fallible, she wasn't the uber hero - she was a girl who just so happened to do the right thing under pressure. The more time she had to think - the worse off she was. lol I can relate to that.

For me, THG is the series to beat in regards to YA Dystopian Fiction.
Tawse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tawse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #1159
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
"When I'm through reading this book, I'm taking a break from reading books that are new to me. I like to sit and meld with them. I record notes in mine (thoughts I have while reading certain passages)... What about any of you here: do you find yourself doing that too?
I really like to re-read books. I make notes in mine and underline and star and heck I even bend pages. When I reread books I am often struck by what I skimmed over, and what I thought was important at that time. I like to learn something *again*.

I primarily read non-fiction, but I do confess a love for collections of short stories in the fantasy realm. My two favorite editors are Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow. If their names are on it, I am going to like it. I also like some of Jeffrey Ford's work. He has one short (I am sure it was him) called "Kate the Lion Tailed Girl" that I retold at a Pagan Festival in the fall... the audience loved it. I just wish I had a costume befitting it...

Like you Katzchen I meld with my books. If they are super good, and not on loan from the library, they will stay by my bedside for weeks. Sometimes they get covered by other books, but buried underneath, is a warm feeling wrapped up in pages and words.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #1160
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,984 Times in 9,936 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow * Good Morning *

~>> aishah & foxyshaman: when reading any particular book or article, I generally set aside my internal wiring (biases, etc) and read what is before me; as neutrally as possible with the eyes of a child (a child like wonder - Rachel Carson). After I have read the entire book or article, I then go back and re-read with whatever particular application of lens is necessary to help me understand the authors' particular views or other pertinent issues within that particular context of writing (genre, style of writing, method of claim delivery, etc).

When I finish my first reading of Catherine Boo's book on life in a Dubai slum, I'll go back and re-read in a critical fashion as I examine issues set forth in her text and make notes on things that may share sets of interests I study at an academic level. Usually by the time I have read a book for the fourth or fifth time, it's for pleasure - which by then, I've almost memorized the entire contents of said book or article.

~>> Tawse: I could identify with Katniss (re: the more time she had to think about things, the worse off she was. That is soOoOOOooo me, at times). I don't read enough dystopian material to know if THG is the series to top; but if THG is the series to top, then this might explain why I don't read material in this particular genre.

Best Lines Ever (in your post): "as long as you don't assault me - I'll work with you. Heck even if you do assault me, if like the way you write - I'll still work with you" (Tawse).
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading