femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Thanked 3,220 Times in 666 Posts
femmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST Reputation

Lila Watson

You say you love rain, but you use an umbrella to walk under it.
You say you love sun, but you seek shade when its shining.
You say you love wind, but when its comes you close your window.
So that's why I'm scared, when you say you love me.

-- Bob Marley
femmeInterrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #42
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Emily’s List launches effort to elect female president; hopes for Hillary Clinton

At the kickoff of a six-figure campaign to elect America's first female president in 2016, Emily's List President Stephanie Schriock addressed the question on everybody's mind: Will Hillary Clinton run?

"There is one name that seems to be getting mentioned more than others," Schriock told reporters at the National Press Club Thursday. "We do not know if Hillary is going to run. But we're hopeful that she may."

Schriock, whose group (the name stands for "Early Money Is Like Yeast") works to get pro-choice Democratic women elected to office at the local, state and federal levels, noted there are other women who could run for president in 2016, but that she believes Clinton currently has the best chance to win.

"I think it’s clear if she decides to take this on, she’s in an incredible position," Schriock said in response to a reporter's question. "[But] for us, it’s not about one particular candidate."

Emily's List's effort—which will utilize its network of 2 million members—is called the "Madam President Campaign." It will focus on battleground states such as Iowa, Nevada and New Hampshire, and will include town hall meetings, online events, ads and Internet engagement.

The group says it's armed with data commissioned from political pollsters Anzalone Liszt Grove Research that shows America has reached a "tipping point" and is ready to see a woman as president.

According to the poll, conducted April 3-9, 86 percent of battleground voters in Colorado, Nevada, New Hampshire, Iowa, Ohio, Wisconsin, Florida, Virginia and North Carolina believe the U.S. is ready to elect a woman as president. Nine percent of respondents said America is not ready, and 5 percent were unsure.

Seventy-two percent of those surveyed believe it's likely America will elect a woman as president next cycle, and 24 percent percent say it's unlikely.

At the news conference, Schriock and the pollsters said the polling suggests more voters feel a female president would do a better job at, among other things, bridging partisan politics, and would better understand the challenges facing the middle class. Eighteen percent of respondents said a woman would be better at ending partisan bickering and 6 percent said a man would be better, according to the polling data.

(The data not noted at the conference, shows that a whopping 74 percent of respondents said that overall gender didn't make a difference on ending partisanship, and the same was true for understanding the middle class.)

The poll's margin of error was plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Schriock also noted that the fact that a historic number of women were elected to office in 2012 is evidence of America's readiness for a female president.

Having a female perspective in the nation's highest office, Schriock emphasized, will be helpful to all: “We really want to ignite this national conversation about how it is going to be beneficial to all Americans to see a woman in the White House."

Schriock on Thursday publicly asked polling firms to conduct research on potential female candidates for president as way to drive the conversation about having a woman in office and grant greater visibility to the available bench of female candidates.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/e...145716477.html

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #43
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

femmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST Reputation
Default Are You a "Cupcake Feminist"?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...pcake-feminist

Homeward Bound
Why women are embracing the new domesticity
by Emily Matchar

And the essay the article is based on:

http://thequietus.com/articles/07962-cupcake-feminism

Half Baked: The Trouble With Cupcake Feminism

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
The Following User Says Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #44
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Default Enter the Yoni: The Problem Of Naomi Wolf's Vagina

http://thequietus.com/articles/10179...agina-feminism

Fave Part:

"If you're wondering what the sound you can hear after reading that little snippet is, it's Andrea Dworkin turning so hard in her grave that she's almost tunnelled her way to Tartarus."

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #45
Allison W

How Do You Identify?:
TG Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Loner

Thanked 1,198 Times in 320 Posts
Allison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmeInterrupted View Post
http://thequietus.com/articles/10179...agina-feminism

Fave Part:

"If you're wondering what the sound you can hear after reading that little snippet is, it's Andrea Dworkin turning so hard in her grave that she's almost tunnelled her way to Tartarus."
I got to "gender essentialist" and realized that nothing she writes is going to be worth the paper it's written on right there.
Allison W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Allison W For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #46
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Default Women Active in Feminist Causes Harassed more at Work.

http://www.ns.umich.edu/new/releases...d-more-at-work

"Women openly engaging in activism for women's rights may pose a more obvious threat to the existing gender hierarchy—a hierarchy that grants more power to men than women."

The article is supported by this Psychology of Women article:

When Sexism and Feminism Collide: The Sexual Harassment of Feminist
Working Women

Kathryn J. Holland1 and Lilia M. Cortina1
Abstract
Psychology of Women Quarterly 00(0) 1-17

The current study examined how feminism relates to women’s experiences of sexual harassment—that is, unwanted sexual and sexist conduct in the workplace. We posited that feminism would have both costs (e.g., increasing exposure to har- assment) and benefits (e.g., decreasing harassment-related outcomes). We assessed two indicators of feminism: self- identification as ‘‘feminist’’ and engagement in feminist activism. We also measured two subtypes of sexual harassment: sexual-advance and gender harassment. According to survey data from 424 working women, feminist identification predicted fewer gender harassment experiences; once harassed, however, feminist-identified women reported the greatest decrease in job satisfaction and increase in turnover intentions. In contrast, feminist activism related to greater experiences of both kinds of harassment, and activism attenuated some negative outcomes. We further found that (regardless of feminist identification or activism) women who had faced sexual-advance harassment were over 7 times more likely to attach the ‘‘sexual harass- ment’’ label to their experiences, compared to women who had experienced gender harassment alone. In light of our findings, we recommend that sexual harassment laws, policies, and trainings be broadened to encompass all varieties of sexual harass- ment, including non-stereotypical, non-sexual conduct. Organizations would also benefit from interventions that reduce bias against undervalued persons, including feminists.

The article is too long to re-post, but if anyone is interested in the read, message me and I can email it to you

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #47
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Default And then there's this:

http://www.policymic.com/articles/40...n-you-shoot-it

NRA Vendor Sells Ex-Girlfriend Target That Bleeds When You Shoot It

*Trigger warning*

Sometimes I feel like the NRA is actively just trying to lose all the credibility it has left in this world.

Just when you thought the NRA's annual convention in Houston this weekend couldn't draw any more negative attention, it goes out and casually promotes a company selling a product that can help you practice shooting your ex-girlfriend. You know, just in case you need that to defend yourself one day. We all know them ex-honeys be crazzzzy.

The target, which is delightfully called "the ex," is sold by a vendor who was present at the convention. The company goes by the name of Zombie Industries and market themselves as the maker of "life-sized tactical mannequin targets." It bleeds heavily when you shoot it and eventually looks like this.

Cowboy hat not included, but the promotion of men's violence against women is.

The company has a line of 15 zombies (one of which resembled President Obama so much that it was pulled by the NRA) and only one is a female mannequin. "To discriminate against Women by not having them represented in our product selection would be just plain sexist," the website says. YES, because having the only female character in your line of mannequin targets be "the ex-girlfriend" doesn't reinforce sexist and fatally dangerous stereotypes.
I'm not even sure how to begin unpacking this, so let me start with some stats. Men's violence against women is not a small pickle, it's a huge problem. Not just all over the world and in every society, but particularly here in the United States where "domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women — more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined." One third of female murder victims are killed by an intimate partner.

Gun violence is a gendered issue since it impacts women and men in very different ways. Because women are more vulnerable to violence within the home than men (and men are most often the perpetrators of violence against women), the presence of a gun makes females less safe, not more. How do we know? A woman's likelyhood of a violent death within the home actually increases by 270% when a gun is kept inside the house. Homicide figures don't lie. Having a gun within their possession didn't protect women from murder. In fact, it accurately predicted their higher likelyhood of death.

"Women who were murdered were more likely, not less likely, to have purchased a handgun in the three years prior to their deaths, again invalidating the idea that a handgun has a protective effect against homicide."

Giving women guns will not solve domestic violence. Normalizing men's violence against women with an ex-girlfriend mannequin will not solve domestic violence. It can only make the problem worse.

Every day, at least three women are killed by an intimate partner in the US alone. Let's make sure those numbers go down, not up. Let's make sure companies like Zombies Industries know that we're not buying it.

Let them know what you think on Twitter by pinging them at @ZombieInd and don't forget to use the hashtag #NotBuyingIt. Here's a sample tweet, but feel free to make up your own.

@ZombieInd Stop promoting men's violence against women. 1 in 3 women women murdered were killed by an intimate partner. #NotBuyingIt.

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #48
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

The above has left me speechless and that isn't easy to do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #49
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

The above has left me speechless and that isn't easy to do.
I hear you. I don't actually know where to begin either. Just the representation ( notice, her tits are ALSO hanging out! ) of a bloodied woman is brutal. The normalization of violence against women that this brings is astonishing. Of course, being able to 'purchase' an otherwise already commodified female 'ex-girlfriend' embodies and solidifies that ongoing notion and reality already too.

It's just fucking unbelievable.

This brings to mind the whole https://www.realdoll.com thing from years back.

Shitballs.

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #50
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,151 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I hear you. I don't actually know where to begin either. ...

Shitballs.
The place to begin is signing this petition:

http://act.weareultraviolet.org/sign...QG3VQ&rd=1&t=1

No, I don't think it's pointless to sign a petition. It doesn't have as much weight as a court order, but there is strength in numbers.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #51
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post

No, I don't think it's pointless to sign a petition. It doesn't have as much weight as a court order, but there is strength in numbers.
Signed!!!!

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
Old 05-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #52
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
Old 05-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #53
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post

No only was it NOT pointless-- it WORKED!

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...cry/?mobile=nc

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
Old 05-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #54
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Default Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Large Women

Have you ever wondered why Abercrombie & Fitch doesn't stock XL or XXL sizes in women's clothing?

Well, CEO Mike Jeffries can put an end to your curiosity, though his response may make you never want to shop at the teen retail store ever again.

“In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids,” he told the Salon. “Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely."

Teen retailer Abercrombie & Fitch doesn't stock XL or XXL sizes in women's clothing because they don't want overweight women wearing their brand.
They want the "cool kids," and they don't consider plus-sized women as being a part of that group.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/aberc...#ixzz2SvUPwh1e

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
Old 05-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #55
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,151 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Have you ever wondered why Abercrombie & Fitch doesn't stock XL or XXL sizes in women's clothing?

Well, CEO Mike Jeffries can put an end to your curiosity, though his response may make you never want to shop at the teen retail store ever again.

“In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids,” he told the Salon. “Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely."

Teen retailer Abercrombie & Fitch doesn't stock XL or XXL sizes in women's clothing because they don't want overweight women wearing their brand.
They want the "cool kids," and they don't consider plus-sized women as being a part of that group.

Now I'm speechless.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #56
Allison W

How Do You Identify?:
TG Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Loner

Allison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

...But I bet they stock XL and XXL in men's sizes. (I'd have checked the article, but I can't get it to load. It seems that my neck of the woods has been having DNS problems for the past several days.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allison W For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #57
Allison W

How Do You Identify?:
TG Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Loner

It's too late to edit my last post, but I just looked it up from a Facebook link and they do carry XL and XXL in men's sizes, but "only to appeal to large athletes."

What about women who are large athletes?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allison W For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #58
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

“There are a million rules for being a girl. There are a million things you have to do to get through each day. High school has things that can trip you up, ruin you, people say one thing and mean another, and you have to know all the rules, you have to know what you can and can't do.”

Elizabeth Scott, The Unwritten Rule

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #59
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison W View Post
It's too late to edit my last post, but I just looked it up from a Facebook link and they do carry XL and XXL in men's sizes, but "only to appeal to large athletes."

What about women who are large athletes?
I'm guessing that there are NO large athletic women 'COOL' enough to wear XL clothing.

The whole thing just feeds into SO many terrible and damaging sexist, sizeist, bullshit misogynistic messages and attitudes it makes me nuts.

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #60
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Default Why are you taking this so personally?

Why are you taking this so personally?

This entire piece is an answer to that last question.

When women are bombarded every day from every direction with questions and statements that lessen their worth as human beings, question their judgement, undermine their experiences,
and collectively make the very loud statement that what women say and experience matters far less than how women look and what men think of women, it's damned hard NOT to take it personally,
or to not get upset at yet another person cracking sexist jokes without thinking them through.

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley