Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,800 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation
Default Great thread!

Some of these we have already listed but we haven't written about them exactly like this guy.

I think that "He's a riot"! (Another phrase that makes no sense).

I will probably post some more of them "When pigs fly".

Nuff' said, which is also something that should be put to bed.

I will work on that. (I need to stop using this phrase).

1. To say the Least

How about you just tell me the appropriate amount, you lazy bastard. If water is boiling, don't tell me it's warm to say the least, tell me it's boiling.

2. Per Se

If I remember my high school Latin correctly, Per se translates to, "through itself", and means "innately", or "fundamentally". It's proper usage would be something like, "I don't hate all ugly people per se, but I hate when ugly people sit next to me on airplanes.".

Graduate students at Moron University are taught that adding "per se" to the end of any declarative sentence makes that sentence sound 25% more intelligent. They'll say, "I don't think he is lying... per se!" . Such usage is both incorrect and needless- notice I couldn't even bring myself to italicize the incorrect "per se"? That's how badly I hate it.

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn....per se".

3. All I know is...

When you begin a sentence with, "All I know is....", I will take your words literally and assume you know nothing else. Speaking of which....

4. Literally

This can be butchered two ways- the first is when it's already clearly believable, as in- "Usually it takes me 20 minutes to get to work, but today it took me literally- literally, 35 minutes with traffic."- no one was going to ask you if you meant that figuratively, dimwit. Secondly, and more horrifically, is when people use "literally" when it isn't literal, as in, "my jaw literally hit the floor when I heard the news.". So you said, "literally" but meant the opposite. Got it. Which reminds me...

5. "Not to interrupt....." while interrupting

We all hate being interrupted, but saying, "not to interrupt", cushions the blow about as effectively as if I said, "not to kick you in the nuts...." before I kick you in the nuts. Just be honest and say, "to interrupt..." next time. Better yet, wait your turn to talk.

6. Mind if I ask you a question?

You just did, a-hole. Aaaaand you didn't ask if you could. So just go ahead and ask your super humble question already.

7. Easier Said Than Done

Can't we just assume everything is easier to say than to do? If anyone ever heard, "Well that's easier said than done!", and thought, "My God, you're right. I never thought it like that. But, make no mistake.....you are correct. Wow. " they should be put to sleep.

8. Maybe, maybe not

The word "maybe" implies it may not happen, otherwise the speaker would use the word, "definitely".

9. .....if you will

This phrase is also popular for Alumni of Moron University to use in meaningless fashion. Unless you are taking a metaphorical leap of word definitions this phrase is unnecessary. While shameless alumni think per se makes sentences sound 25% more intelligent, most morons agree that "...if you will." adds a mere 10%. Why? B ecause it's ah, well, annoying, if you will.

And I hope you won't.

10. Needless to say

When I hear that preface what I really hear is, "Hey, I know how to waste your time- keep listening....".

11. Not to Mention

That's funny, you are mentioning something you said you weren't. Oh wait I didn't mean 'funny', I meant, 'ignorant'.
___

My father advised me on this list and suggested I improve the first two paragraphs of the Gettysburg Address with the aforementioned phrases. The improved version appears below.

Literally Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation per se, conceived in liberty, and to say the least dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

All I know is, Now we are engaged in a great civil war, if you will, testing whether that nation, or any nation, so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure- maybe, maybe not. We are met on a great battle-field of that war, per se. Needless to say, We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, which is easier said than done, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. Not to mention, It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

http://www.chicagonow.com/lists-that...saythankspops/

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #42
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Thanked 2,683 Times in 562 Posts
Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots_On_The_Rocks View Post
Oh man, my biggest phrase pet peeve is: "That is SOO Gay!" used in reference to something being stupid. I will whup some ass over this phrase for sure.
One of my cousins posted this on Facebook once in reference to where he worked and I asked him if he had confirmed the building was indeed male and if it had made overtures to him of a sexual nature.

I wasn't quite that articulate in my comment but it sent a message without blowing it all out of proportion. Don't get me wrong, I have a problem with this statement because it's offensive but I also look at the intention of the person saying it. Were they really trying to disrespect an entire group of people or were they just tossing it off as just another word for "dumb"?

It needs to disappear from the vernacular, though. Nobody says, "that's so black" or "that's so Jewish" so it needs to go.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:29 AM   #43
Scots_On_The_Rocks

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, them, theirs
Relationship Status:
Owned by a few cats, Loved by one woman, and Looked up to by one child.

Thanked 1,095 Times in 388 Posts
Scots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_On_Fire View Post
One of my cousins posted this on Facebook once in reference to where he worked and I asked him if he had confirmed the building was indeed male and if it had made overtures to him of a sexual nature.

I wasn't quite that articulate in my comment but it sent a message without blowing it all out of proportion. Don't get me wrong, I have a problem with this statement because it's offensive but I also look at the intention of the person saying it. Were they really trying to disrespect an entire group of people or were they just tossing it off as just another word for "dumb"?

It needs to disappear from the vernacular, though. Nobody says, "that's so black" or "that's so Jewish" so it needs to go.

There is an old saying that goes: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"...and well intentions or not...using the word "gay" in place of stupid or idiotic...is rude, ignorant, and just plain uncalled for. As you pointed out...one does not say, "That is so (insert racially/religiously/nationally based term of your choice)"....if something is stupid or idiotic...then just say it is stupid or idiotic....leave the homophobia (or any other phobia) out of it. Just my opinion tho.

-Me

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark." ~ Henri Frederic Amiel
Scots_On_The_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #44
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
The arteest formerly known as musicfemme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Thanked 32,098 Times in 6,125 Posts
candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

"I have a bone to pick with you."

I just don't even know where to begin with that one. I mean. What? Why? Whose bone is picking what exactly? *scratching head*

CONVERSATE!!!!! Enough said.

"Instant classic." Um, yeah because things become classic instantaneously.

My Patreon

My Website
candy_coated_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #45
o'queery

How Do You Identify?:
serviceboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
him, hey boy
Relationship Status:
boyfriend of my joey. <3 Imma lucky bitchboy!

Thanked 1,895 Times in 523 Posts
o'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputation

using the word "ideal" instead of idea..

like.. "That's a great ideal."

UGH!!!!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #46
o'queery

How Do You Identify?:
serviceboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
him, hey boy
Relationship Status:
boyfriend of my joey. <3 Imma lucky bitchboy!

Thanked 1,895 Times in 523 Posts
o'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputationo'queery Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch View Post
"I have a bone to pick with you."

I just don't even know where to begin with that one. I mean. What? Why? Whose bone is picking what exactly? *scratching head*

CONVERSATE!!!!! Enough said.

"Instant classic." Um, yeah because things become classic instantaneously.
We need to conversate about that bone picking. It's an instant classic, don;t you know?

<3
Old 11-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #47
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameonboy View Post
We need to conversate about that bone picking. It's an instant classic, don;t you know?

<3
Oh, I'll make picking your bones an instant classic if you keep it up!

My Patreon

My Website
Old 11-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #48
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

PS: "selfie".

My Patreon

My Website
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #49
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,619 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
OMG! That was my father's favorite phrase.

That one and the craziest one:

"Are you cruising for a bruising?"

I never realized how awful that was before.
This made me think of things my parents would say to me and the things I would think to myself as a kid when I heard them.

A few gems my mother often said to me:

“If you had another brain it would be lonely.”
WTF could that even mean? Who gets another brain? When has this ever happened? I remember thinking to myself as a kid, that’s just stupid. Brains don’t come in pairs why would it be lonely if it was alone. It wouldn’t think anything of it. Being alone I mean. If I ever got another one that is. Which isn’t likely.

“You could talk a glass eye to sleep.”
Well that makes sense anyway. The problem was with her New England accent it always sounded like she was saying “You’d tawk a glass ida sleep.” I have an Aunt Ida so when I was young I thought it meant I would talk her to sleep. And I just figured there was something I didn’t understand about her being made of glass.

“If you had a half a brain you’d be dangerous”
Leave anyone with just a half a brain and I doubt dangerous is the word you would use to describe them. I suppose it depends which half you leave. But I remember wondering why is she thinking about me having only half a brain in the first place?

“Why you see there’s a crowd around?”
She would say that just about every time I asked “what’s the matter.” I figured out what it meant eventually, but to a 5 or 6 year old, it’s just puzzling.

My father’s favorite things to say to me were:

“I brought you into this world and I can take you out of it.”
I remember thinking as a kid, how are those two things even connected? I didn’t ask because I did have a strong survival instinct, but I found it to be one of those particularly weirdly incongruent things that people say. I mean I didn’t bring him into the world, but off the top of my head I can think of a dozen ways I could take him out of it.

“I’m going to beat you to within an inch of your life.”
I always thought that was cutting it kind of close. What if your measurement is off?
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #50
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
vibing

Thanked 21,373 Times in 6,723 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

he "you're amazing"
she"I know"
Old 11-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #51
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

"Basically" - just makes me gnash my teeth. One of our local radio personalities used it 3 times in a single sentence the other day...

"Complete disclosure" - this is right up there with something else I hear all the time at work which is "To tell you the whole truth." Over the years it's been my experience that neither the whole story nor the truth are being told.

"Touch base" - the 90s are over!
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #52
ksrainbow

How Do You Identify?:
Valued

Thanked 2,149 Times in 561 Posts
ksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputation

*Hot Water Heater*

ksrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #53
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

For all intensive purposes – what does that mean? For reasons that have a high degree of emotional excitement or depth of feeling?

Suppository of information – I knew someone who said this. He also had a self defecating sense of humor.

Near miss – do people listen to what they are saying. If it is a near miss then it is a hit. Why would you call a hit a near miss? Just say, it’s a hit. And if you mean it wasn’t a hit but a miss then don’t call it a near miss because that’s a hit. Just call it a miss.

Stoked – please don’t say that.

My jam – I heard someone say this the other day. I thought it was dead. Hopefully that was just a last gasp. I hate that term.

#YOLO - I hate this even more than my jam.

Moot point - I have to mention this again because I just heard it used on a tv show, The Good Wife. Someone said it was a moot point because the bus carrying a particular individual had already left. I found it especially annoying because moot was originally used in law and the show is about lawyers. Moot means debatable. However, like the word nauseous, which means causing nausea, can now be used as feeling nauseous because of popular usage, moot can now be used as having no practical relevance. It is interesting how, in American English, if you keep using a word the wrong way and get all your friends to do it and they get all their friends and so on the word will eventually change to agree with your usage.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #54
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

language evolves.

however, pressurised is NOT A WORD. IT IS "I FELT PRESSURED/I FEEL PRESSURED" NOT PRESSURISED

but the term "you shower of cunts!" should be used far more often.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #55
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybarbara View Post
language evolves.
Or perhaps devolves.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #56
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Quote:
the term "you shower of cunts!" should be used far more often.
I have to agree. You cannot overuse "you shower of cunts!"
The Following User Says Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #57
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

"I couldn't give a rat's ass."

Which is sometimes also said as: "I could give a rat's ass."

Kind of the same phenomenon as the I could care less/couldn't care less issue. However, that is not even my main problem here. Since when did rat's asses become a form of currency against which we measure how much we care?

If I care a LOT--how many rat's asses do I put on the table? 10? 50? 100? It takes time and good money to kill that many rats!

Or, maybe if you CAN'T give a rat's ass, it means you are poor. And if you CAN, it's a sign of prosperity.

My Patreon

My Website
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #58
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Quote:
however, pressurised is NOT A WORD.
I always thought it was a word.

But there are a lot of words I don't know so there are probably some I think I know that aren't words at all. Some years ago when I moved to Mattapan, Ma I worked in Brighton, Ma and on the way to work I would see all these signs that said "Arnold Arboretum" That's all they said. There were quite a few. Finally one day I asked my girlfriend at the time "Who is this guy Arnold Arboretum?" Gave her a good laugh.

I guess if I didn't know what an arboretum was I could easily believe in words that don't exist.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #59
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch View Post
[B]"I couldn't give a rat's ass."
I often say "I couldn't give a fat rat's ass." Maybe it's a sign of the rat's prosperity. I won't be giving up well fed, well maintained rats' asses.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #60
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tick View Post
I often say "I couldn't give a fat rat's ass." Maybe it's a sign of the rat's prosperity. I won't be giving up well fed, well maintained rats' asses.
I think calling the rat's ass fat only adds insult to injury.

My Patreon

My Website
The Following User Says Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:

Tags
annoying, phrases, words