Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > FUN > The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat

Notices

Old 03-24-2018, 09:28 PM   #3021
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Just got and just started Jacque Barzin's From Dawn to Decadence: 1500 to the Present
Old 03-25-2018, 05:47 AM   #3022
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,321 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

What Happened - Hillary Clinton (audio book read by the author)

I’m glad to be listening to this book as read by Hillary, because it adds a depth of understanding about her as a person through her own voice and her own words that I don’t think I would have gotten otherwise.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #3023
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Why liberalism failed / Patrick J. Deneen

"Of the three dominant ideologies of the twentieth century--fascism, communism, and liberalism--only the last remains. This has created a peculiar situation in which liberalism's proponents tend to forget that it is an ideology and not the natural end-state of human political evolution. As Patrick Deneen argues in this provocative book, liberalism is built on a foundation of contradictions: it trumpets equal rights while fostering incomparable material inequality; its legitimacy rests on consent, yet it discourages civic commitments in favor of privatism; and in its pursuit of individual autonomy, it has given rise to the most far-reaching, comprehensive state system in human history.Here, Deneen offers an astringent warning that the centripetal forces now at work on our political culture are not superficial flaws but inherent features of a system whose success is generating its own failure."

---------------------------

Have no clue where this guy is going with this but my brain is intrigued.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #3024
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-ish, tomboy lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Together a really long time

Thanked 12,915 Times in 3,079 Posts
Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation

I’m re-reading God on a Harley again for personal reasons.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #3025
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

The past week or so, I've been reading from 3 books, which I've nearly finished all three: Strange Justice (it's a dry read, bit there's fascinating information concerning key players in the Anita Hill story which covered little known facts about her case against Clarence Thomas), The Girl Who Wrote in Silk (it's is an fairly good read), and of course, Love in the Time of Cholera, which I like this book so very much. I'd recommend LITTOC as an very good book to read!).

Today, I got a couple of articles in the mail from a good friend which one else article was a book review on two books: 1) Celeste Ng --- Little Fires Everywhere, and 2) The Italian Teacher, by Tom Rachman. Both look like good stories to read. I'm particularly interested in the Rachman book for its take on redemption (family relational issues). Also, they clipped am great news article from The Seattle Times on foods that lower blood sugars, so that was very interesting and gave me some great alternative ideas for meals (breakfast, lunch and supper).

I might find myself taking a break from reading new books and just read from an big collection of books I've got here at home, if I feel led to read from a good book I've enjoyed before.

This week I had an serious spinal exam, so I'll be waiting to read the test results from three different doctor's specializing in Orthopedic medicine and Neurology. I've got my fingers crossed for the best outcome possible.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2018, 05:38 AM   #3026
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default Violet to Vita........

by Mitchell Leaska & John Phillips

After just posting in one of the many movie threads about a movie being released concerning the affair between Woolf and Vita I came across this book. I've just started it and although it was hard getting through the lengthy introduction, once the letters start they are fascinating!

More than a decade before her love affair with Virginia Woolf, English author Vita Sackville-West fell in love with another woman, the writer and socialite Violet Keppel. The two embarked upon one of the most intense and turbulent affairs in literary history. The exquisite epistolary records of their relationship, which was later fictionalized in Virginia Woolf’s groundbreaking novel Orlando, span more than a decade and are captured in Violet to Vita. The letters are preserved at Yale University’s Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library. They bare some of the most urgently, breathtakingly passionate uses of the English language.
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2018, 07:39 AM   #3027
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,857 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading Song Yet Sung by James McBride. It's a book for school but I have previously enjoyed a book by the same author, The Color of Water. That book was more auto biographical, and it has been my experience that a great biographer isn't necessarily a great author. Mr. McBride very adeptly leaves my theory in the dust.

synopsis:

In the days before the Civil War, a runaway slave named Liz Spocott breaks free from her captors and escapes into the labyrinthine swamps of Maryland’s eastern shore, setting loose a drama of violence and hope among slave catchers, plantation owners, watermen, runaway slaves, and free blacks. Liz is near death, wracked by disturbing visions of the future, and armed with “the Code,” a fiercely guarded cryptic means of communication for slaves on the run. Liz’s flight and her dreams of tomorrow will thrust all those near her toward a mysterious, redemptive fate.

Filled with rich, true details—much of the story is drawn from historical events—and told in McBride’s signature lyrical style, Song Yet Sung is a story of tragic triumph, violent decisions, and unexpected kindness.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:42 AM   #3028
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,321 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Shakespeare: The World as Stage
By Bill Bryson

First, I enjoy Bill Bryson’s writing style, storytelling ability, and how he draws humor out of massive amounts of information (I.e. A Short History of Nearly Everything).

Second, as a theatre nerd, fact or fiction or anything in debate about Shakespeare draws my attention.

This fun little romp of a book does not disappoint. :-)
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #3029
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default The common good / Robert B. Reich

Former U.S. secretary of labor (1993-97) Reich examines what he sees as a divided America. His takeoff point is the call made 50 years ago by President John F. Kennedy for Americans to contribute individually for the common good. Reich despairs that instead Americans have become increasingly selfish. He harshly criticizes the freebooting of CEOs, the self-first philosophy of Ayn Rand, and the divisive presidency of Donald Trump. He chronicles societal changes that he says have resulted in national disunity, distrust, and hopelessness. Reich concludes that pulling together as a society is the only strategy for longterm mutual prosperity and that leaders must act as trustees for the common good. That those who do the right thing should be honored, and those who gain by underhanded means shamed, that fact-based truth must be demanded, and citizens must be both educated and engaged. Very timely with discussion of the sexual harassment scandal in Hollywood and NFL kneeling protests, Reich's work is an important call for reform that should appeal to a wide audience disaffected with the status quo.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #3030
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
A cantankerous curmudgeon who's lost his wife and job, both of 40 some odd years and want nothing more than to end his, a horrible crippling accident on a dream vacation, a cat on the verge of its demise after nearly freezing to death, a young gay lad being turned out by his father after revealing his lifestyle, government attempted intervention to separate a wife from her husband and place him in a facility for those suffering from Alhemizers, and an ending which one might assume you'd be in tears over.. could actually be one of the most uplifting books I've read in ages!

I highly recommend A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. One of the best books I've read in some time!!!!
Today I helped Mary with the huge project of going through her books! We came across an extra used copy of this and are more than willing to send it to a good home! Please let me know if you're interested. First come first served!
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #3031
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
must be love on the brain

Thanked 4,250 Times in 1,297 Posts
cricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputation

i enjoyed this book as well, and was very surprised i did not cry more (the cat part made me cry) so i was very happy when i found his next book on audible

cricket26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cricket26 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #3032
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

I read this shortly after A Man Called Ove. I liked it, but it might not be everyone's cup of tea!
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #3033
Breathless
Brat Extraordinaire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Happy

3 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 23

Thanked 4,101 Times in 958 Posts
Breathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST Reputation

Just finished John Grisham "The Chamber" and now on to Margaret Atwood "Alias Grace"... and all these great reviews on "The Girl Who Wrote in Silk.. I have downloaded that one for next read.

Last edited by Breathless; 04-20-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Breathless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Breathless For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #3034
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Rite of Wrongs by Mica Stone
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bright_arrow For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #3035
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless View Post
Just finished John Grisham "The Chamber" and now on to Margaret Atwood "Alias Grace"... and all these great reviews on "The Girl Who Wrote in Silk.. I have downloaded that one for next read.
You will NOT be disappointed in The Girl Who Wrote in Silk! It was a fantastic read...
Old 04-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #3036
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Just finished Leonard Cohen: A Remarkable Life
by Anthony Reynolds. If you're a Cohen fan or even if you're not you will enjoy this most interesting book.

Next I am starting Chasing Hillary: Ten Years, Two Presidential Campaigns, and One Intact Glass Ceiling
Book by Amy Chozick
Old 05-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #3037
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
by Anthony Reynolds. If you're a Cohen fan or even if you're not you will enjoy this most interesting book.

Next I am starting Chasing Hillary: Ten Years, Two Presidential Campaigns, and One Intact Glass Ceiling
Book by Amy Chozick
I enjoyed Chasing Hillary.........

It includes some of the author's problematic issues dealing with fellow co-workers (men) who were less than welcoming and some issues of male's behavior in Hillary's campaign camp.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #3038
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry.........Gabrielle Zevin

I am on page 156 and although I'm enjoying this book immensely, it's a book about books and a book seller, it's nothing like I was expecting!
Old 05-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #3039
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
I enjoyed Chasing Hillary.........

It includes some of the author's problematic issues dealing with fellow co-workers (men) who were less than welcoming and some issues of male's behavior in Hillary's campaign camp.
This is a new hardcover book released about a week or so ago and if anyone is interested in it, I'd be willing to pass it along!
My theory has always been books are meant to be shared on sit on dusty bookshelves!
P.S. As always first come first served.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #3040
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:

Book by Amy Chozick
This is a used (the Cohen book) copy but is in very good condition! If you're interested I'd be happy to send it to a new home as well.

Tags
books, reading