Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 11-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #621
tuffboi29

How Do You Identify?:
Queer..in the queer deffinition of the queer meaning of the queer word...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. SuperTuff
Relationship Status:
Things happen...

tuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I am so sorry your are having such a difficult time, I am too ugh.
I do have a therapy appointment tomorrow though.

The holidays freak me out more than I care to admit. I know its silly but a lot of my PTSD is family related.

Could you put on some fun music. watch something silly or call someone to take your mind off things?

My head hurts really bad, if I think of anything I will be back.

many hugs to you!

I want nothing to do with the holiday season...And for some reason if you disappear for it half the county comes lookin for you.

I've been on and off the puter..Mostly playing with my Labrador..He's my main stress-reliever.
Hope your head feels better soon..
"Today we would pass through the scenes of our youth like travelers. We are burnt up by hard facts; like tradesmen we understand distinctions, and like butchers, necessities. We are no longer untroubled - we are indifferent. We might exist there; but, should we really live there?"

~Erich Maria Remarque "All Quiet on the Western Front"

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4605968_n.jpg
tuffboi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tuffboi29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #622
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffboi29 View Post
I want nothing to do with the holiday season...And for some reason if you disappear for it half the county comes lookin for you.

I've been on and off the puter..Mostly playing with my Labrador..He's my main stress-reliever.
Hope your head feels better soon..
Awwe, dogs are the best therapy ever!

I am so glad you are not alone!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #623
tuffboi29

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. SuperTuff
Relationship Status:
Things happen...

tuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Awwe, dogs are the best therapy ever!

I am so glad you are not alone!

My roommate made it home...but has NO keys...I fired her as my key keeper 'cause she keeps as good a track of it as I do.

The keys will be delivered soon; ironically by a pizza guy.

Thanks, though, for coming back in and checking up with me.

How's your headache?
"Today we would pass through the scenes of our youth like travelers. We are burnt up by hard facts; like tradesmen we understand distinctions, and like butchers, necessities. We are no longer untroubled - we are indifferent. We might exist there; but, should we really live there?"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuffboi29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #624
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
My roommate made it home...but has NO keys...I fired her as my key keeper 'cause she keeps as good a track of it as I do.

The keys will be delivered soon; ironically by a pizza guy.

Thanks, though, for coming back in and checking up with me.

How's your headache?
Maybe a key hook by the door?

My head still hurts, I am so nervous about what to do about Thursday. UGH.

Any better?
Old 11-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #625
tuffboi29

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. SuperTuff
Relationship Status:
Things happen...

Quote:
Maybe a key hook by the door?

My head still hurts, I am so nervous about what to do about Thursday. UGH.

Any better?

You have a therapy appointment Thursday? Mine is every Wednesday.
Some days I am happy to go..others..smeh..

I'm doing a bit better.

And no..A key by the door is asking for trouble. My pills include some very street wanted stuff and I would rather it stayed in my box.
It's not that I have people around that I *can't* trust...It's that I don't trust anybody.
'Cept maybe my roomie...

Even then..I know where she sleeps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuffboi29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #626
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

How is everybody today?

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #627
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

Just wanted to come in and catch up with everyone, I hope your all doing well and I promise to come in more often

Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #628
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
You have a therapy appointment Thursday? Mine is every Wednesday.
Some days I am happy to go..others..smeh..

I'm doing a bit better.

And no..A key by the door is asking for trouble. My pills include some very street wanted stuff and I would rather it stayed in my box.
It's not that I have people around that I *can't* trust...It's that I don't trust anybody.
'Cept maybe my roomie...

Even then..I know where she sleeps.
Mayeb a hidden place for keys then, same place always and tell no one? That's the only way I keep up with things.

Therapy is tomorrow, Thanksgiving is Thursday. I am supposed to go to G/F's family's house but I dread it to my core....the holidays trigger deep sadness, resentment and some of my PTSD symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
How is everybody today?

Sad,confused.

Wishing I were perfect so I coud be thrilled and happy about the holidays.

I decided that I wanted to maybe make some of the food my Mom used to make when I was little instead of just having to experience someone else's traditions..and if I have to stay home to do that, so it will be. So tonight after I tutor in Spanish I am going to find some fav recipes and make a grocery list for tomorrow.

I am keeping busy and trying to take your advice and keep things as normal as possible.

How are you?
Old 11-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #629
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Traying to not make any hasty decisions while I am this upset.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #630
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

So sorry to those that are suffering with PTSD. I had a bad day too today. Fighting with the trustee about money and jobs. I have applied to many jobs but no one calls. And I have sleep apnea which I just starting to get used to the mask slept maybe for six hours which is good but still tired and on antibiotics for a sore throat and asthma. I don't want to fight any more about jobs and renting issues anymore with her. She just doesn't understand about being me and my health issues!!
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lipstixgal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #631
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstixgal View Post
So sorry to those that are suffering with PTSD. I had a bad day too today. Fighting with the trustee about money and jobs. I have applied to many jobs but no one calls. And I have sleep apnea which I just starting to get used to the mask slept maybe for six hours which is good but still tired and on antibiotics for a sore throat and asthma. I don't want to fight any more about jobs and renting issues anymore with her. She just doesn't understand about being me and my health issues!!

So sorry you are going through this. I hope your evening gets wayyy better!

you would think anyone would understand finding jobs right now is really difficult. She needs to watch the news. Grrr.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #632
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
So sorry you are going through this. I hope your evening gets wayyy better!

you would think anyone would understand finding jobs right now is really difficult. She needs to watch the news. Grrr.
I have no food I applied for food stamps today in NJ hopefully that will help some. but really jobs are hard to come by. She is a republican and very stubborn about me renting the basement which is illegal and comes with many problems..I really don't want to go to her house for Thanksgiving I'll stay home with my dogs and rest, really don't feel good with the asthma issues and what not. I really need money which I can't get from her..she does need to watch the news and wake up..
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lipstixgal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #633
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I am keeping busy and trying to take your advice and keep things as normal as possible.

How are you?
Hi apocalipstic. I am going through the most horrible time ever, truth be told. But no matter how grim or hopeless it seems, I still do everything in my power to move through as normally as possible. I get up and meet each day, shower, keep my home clean, wash my things, cook and grocery shop and I attend to matters at hand. I have bought everything I need for Thanksgiving and I intend to treat myself.

Normalize.

I do not sit in a corner, drink the days away, wallow in self pity, do drugs or anything that would make matters worse or seal my death. I am enduring things unspeakable. And with that, I have met every complication you can imagine; fucked up Rx meds, fucked up MRIs, hardships, constant setbacks, a frightening state of affairs, incredible fears from memories, terror and shock. Because of the nature of my PTSD nothing has ever helped—hospitals, support groups or medication (other than to sedate for brief periods at a time.) Reality...I am totally in the hands of God and, trust me, my faith is a thread that I am hanging on to.

I live hour by hour, many days, and manage to hang on to anything positive even for moments at a time. This keeps me going. Today, something wonderful in the smallest of ways—my dad. We spoke for about an hour and a half about many things and it brought back memories of me—the way I used to be and the ways I used to feel. Terrific memories that took me out of my pain.

My take for anyone from experience....face the reality of your PTSD, where it's brought you, what's it's stolen—years, opportunities, progress, happiness. You will be out of denial and will have taken the first most important step toward progress. There absolutely cannot be any illusions or denials of any kind at any time. Not saying this is you, but just saying in general. Accepting our state instead of sidestepping our selves or our realities is when God begins to work. He doesn't take it way in the twinkling of an eye, he makes us face it in his strength and through our human nature.

Thoughts in general...

Forge through dark days and try everything you can to recognize any gifts, light moments, reprieves and any positives in your life. Do that so you know and can reaffirm that your trauma has not claimed everything. Know that you are child of God no matter what belief system you have. PTSD can send us to dungeons and unimaginable darkness and depravity in our minds and hearts. But it is not impossible to break through if you are committed to facing and reclaiming your life. Have faith (even as small as a mustard seed, as it goes); do everything you can to self-nurture to keep sane. Send despair, darkness, hardships and anything that seems hopeless to your higher power however you perceive your God to be.

I've had to accept that my life as I knew it is gone. My person as I knew me, is gone—forever or how long is anyone's guess. Recognizing the severity of my PTSD and my state is imperative. Because now, all the cards are on the table. For me, it is do or die and my life is truly in God's hands. And I didn't used to be a prayin' man if you know what I mean. I'm sharing this with everybody to say that darkness and hopelessness and sickness can get unimaginably worse, so do everything to normalize..medication, prayer, support, if you have it, and everything in your space and daily living to make you feel comfortable at all times. I'm still standing and I think you will/can too. So fight like hell.

Try to see the light that you do have. See any positives, every day and never buy into negativity and despair that could lead you into darker spaces. They could just be memories, body flash backs and your trauma trying to get out. Mine feels like a pressure cooker getting ready to blow even though my trauma happened years ago.

I am a victim and survivor of severe trauma and PTSD that has lingered for 18 years. I post openly as someone who can relate from experience. And I contribute my thoughts and experiences for the benefit of you who have actually been diagnosed with PTSD or related conditions such as diagnosed multi-personality disorder, bi-polar or schizo-affective disorder. I don't have a lot of patience outside of this because as a general rule, we don't know how bad bad really is until we have experienced it on mental, physical or spiritual levels. In my case, all three are affected or compromised. My trauma came out of nowhere and to such a degree that I still experience it as my personal 9/11. That's how bad it is and I'm sure that many of you may relate.

I hope we can maintain this thread soley to retain its integrity and intention and as a connection between those of us who have been diagnosed and who suffer on a daily basis. Healthcare can't always be there for various reasons. So to be able to exchange here because we get each other is a nice piece to have.

I wish everyrone the best no matter how varied the nature or to what degree our PTSD

Last edited by Jet; 11-23-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #634
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Its difficult for me to remember when it all began. here are these pictures of this happy little princess, then suddenly I turn serious and dark maybe around 6 years old...the thing that started it all is vague, but so many things have happened since then. I want to know that sweet little Innocent girl, but I can't reach her.

As I have said, I was doing great until 2 years ago January when my father I had not spoken to in many years died. The memories came crashing back and I saw and heard him everywhere. Actually hallucinating.

Because my father was an evangelist & missionary, I have been very anti God, but recently in addition to therapy I have joined a Wisdom Circle with good results in thinking about a higher power, no matter what that means to each of us.

The holidays are especially difficult. But I go to work every day, the house is pretty clean, most of the laundry done and I am tutoring Spanish one night a week. If I can somehow make it through this week with grace and dignity I will be so proud of myself, because what I want to do from the time I get out of work tomorrow is sit in a closet banging my head on the wall alternating with enough Valium to sleep a week.

I have been going through my Mom's old recipes and I may stay home and fix myself her favorites on Thursday. Every once in a while I will find a letter in her things that let me know how horrible her life was before her death and make me happy somehow that she is not here to be suffering too.

I wish you all the best!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #635
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

I hope that everyone is doing better today, I know I've been having one of those days that I just wanna go crawl in a dark room and hide for awhile

Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #636
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I hope that everyone is doing better today, I know I've been having one of those days that I just wanna go crawl in a dark room and hide for awhile
I'm having the same day...hmmmmm

But in the middle of today's chaos I realized that the strong reaction I have when I make mistakes is directly connected to the abuse I experienced at the hands of my Mom when I was growing up. You learned not to mess up and make Mom mad, otherwise you were "gonna get it but good."

Example - Something happens at work, either I forget to do something or was unaware it needed to be done, and my boss says something about it. I spend the rest of the day completely on edge waiting for her to come back and say something else, repeat, repeat, repeat... When Mom would lose it she would hit until she was tired and then walk off. In a little while she would come back and do it all over again, repeat, repeat, repeat...
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #637
tuffboi29

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. SuperTuff
Relationship Status:
Things happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Scarlett View Post
I'm having the same day...hmmmmm

But in the middle of today's chaos I realized that the strong reaction I have when I make mistakes is directly connected to the abuse I experienced at the hands of my Mom when I was growing up. You learned not to mess up and make Mom mad, otherwise you were "gonna get it but good."

Example - Something happens at work, either I forget to do something or was unaware it needed to be done, and my boss says something about it. I spend the rest of the day completely on edge waiting for her to come back and say something else, repeat, repeat, repeat... When Mom would lose it she would hit until she was tired and then walk off. In a little while she would come back and do it all over again, repeat, repeat, repeat...

Have our mother's met? Maybe related?
I hear you hon. I had to move out because of that. The never ending mind game of "guess when I'm going to get you".

I am up because my sleep schedule got messed up.
I'm going to try again in just a few.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:57 AM   #638
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Have our mother's met? Maybe related?
I hear you hon. I had to move out because of that. The never ending mind game of "guess when I'm going to get you".

I am up because my sleep schedule got messed up.
I'm going to try again in just a few.
Makes you wonder doesn't it?

My Mom's death in 2007 was devastating. To my surprise it was oddly liberating too. The doctor monitoring my weight loss asked me to be his guinea pig and started me on a combination of 5HTP/Carbidopa back in March and finally convinced me to try counseling which I started at the end of May. (The 5HTP/Carbidopa, prescibed to combat stress eating, also treated what he and my counselor diagnosed as mild depression.) My counselor and I are working through, among other things, the abuse by my Mom.

No wonder I went away to college even when I wasn't ready or was even interested in studying what my parents decided I was to study. No wonder I put an ocean (literally) between us when I was 19 and, except for a couple of short periods of time, did not live in my parents home again. No wonder I was drawn into and stayed in some abusive relationships in my younger years. I'm now 51.

It was bad but not what I call "Sybil-bad" - on the level/type/frequency seen in that Sally Field movie. Mom suffered from pretty severe post-partum depression resulting in a couple of stays in hospital when I was about 4. She had a lot of frustration and anger that resulted in explosions of temper. She could spank or discipline the 4 of us within reason and most of the time she did. But it was the other times, when she'd lose it over something not particularly serious, that she'd turn into a monster. She'd hit and hit and hit; not caring where, how or how hard she hit you. She'd hit until she couldn't hit any more and leave the room. Then she'd come back again and again - pulling me out from under the bed, desk, from in the closet or where ever I was trying to hide/get away from her. I was in high school the last time she did this to me - at that time she also used her fists and kicked me when I was balled up on the floor in the corner of the kitchen.

My brothers were also on the receiving end of Mom's temper as was my Dad - though I only know of her trying to hit him once or twice. My brothers don't talk about it much and Dad refuses to. He wasn't there for the majority of it and I don't think he wants to know about it now.

Interestingly enough when she was able to go back to college and then on to law school her tempered evened out. We got to know each other better, became very close and she actually had respect for me. I worked for her for over 10 years and there was only one incident early on when she tried to hit me. I pulled away before she made contact; stood my ground and told her that she better not try it again or I would have her arrested and her law career would be over.

Mom's gone but her "legacy" lives on and I will conquer this.
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #639
swagger

How Do You Identify?:
butch daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
i dont care.
Relationship Status:
happy

swagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputation

LGBTQI PTSD - sometimes I think I should add those to my business card ahhh I'm so sorry to read all the sad, brave, sore stories in this thread. Me? Well there's abuse, then there's stuff I witnessed that was too much...details maybe one day, I don't know. The flashbacks have been ferking me up badly lately, but I've maintained most of my good little routines and only pounded my head once in the past rough fortnight. Sometimes I think it isn't the trauma anymore, but simply all the aftereffects and scars. Like the wound healed, but in a dirty, jagged, mismatched way.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #640
tuffboi29

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. SuperTuff
Relationship Status:
Things happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Scarlett View Post
Makes you wonder doesn't it?

My Mom's death in 2007 was devastating. To my surprise it was oddly liberating too. The doctor monitoring my weight loss asked me to be his guinea pig and started me on a combination of 5HTP/Carbidopa back in March and finally convinced me to try counseling which I started at the end of May. (The 5HTP/Carbidopa, prescibed to combat stress eating, also treated what he and my counselor diagnosed as mild depression.) My counselor and I are working through, among other things, the abuse by my Mom.

No wonder I went away to college even when I wasn't ready or was even interested in studying what my parents decided I was to study. No wonder I put an ocean (literally) between us when I was 19 and, except for a couple of short periods of time, did not live in my parents home again. No wonder I was drawn into and stayed in some abusive relationships in my younger years. I'm now 51.

It was bad but not what I call "Sybil-bad" - on the level/type/frequency seen in that Sally Field movie. Mom suffered from pretty severe post-partum depression resulting in a couple of stays in hospital when I was about 4. She had a lot of frustration and anger that resulted in explosions of temper. She could spank or discipline the 4 of us within reason and most of the time she did. But it was the other times, when she'd lose it over something not particularly serious, that she'd turn into a monster. She'd hit and hit and hit; not caring where, how or how hard she hit you. She'd hit until she couldn't hit any more and leave the room. Then she'd come back again and again - pulling me out from under the bed, desk, from in the closet or where ever I was trying to hide/get away from her. I was in high school the last time she did this to me - at that time she also used her fists and kicked me when I was balled up on the floor in the corner of the kitchen.

My brothers were also on the receiving end of Mom's temper as was my Dad - though I only know of her trying to hit him once or twice. My brothers don't talk about it much and Dad refuses to. He wasn't there for the majority of it and I don't think he wants to know about it now.

Interestingly enough when she was able to go back to college and then on to law school her tempered evened out. We got to know each other better, became very close and she actually had respect for me. I worked for her for over 10 years and there was only one incident early on when she tried to hit me. I pulled away before she made contact; stood my ground and told her that she better not try it again or I would have her arrested and her law career would be over.

Mom's gone but her "legacy" lives on and I will conquer this.

I have a bad habit of trying to sugar-coat the relationship between my mother and I.
It's only been recently that I have acknowledged that habit.
Well damn it..it sucked...it hurt as she wielded her weapons in her power play game.
It still hurts.

Not too much for chatting it up tonight. Rolling with flashbacks bad. It took me over 20 minutes to type this I'm rolling so bad.
Gonna try sleep

Last edited by tuffboi29; 11-24-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: smeh...