Candelion

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her/you
Relationship Status:
He can till my field.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 897 Posts
Candelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default If You're Ever There...Go Here!

Since we are in the middle of summer and people are likely travelling, I thought it might be fun if people posted about places they've been and things they've seen that might not be found in the regular tourist brochures. Perhaps you've found a great secluded beach, a funky restaurant, a cool club, an interesting museum....whatever.

One of my favourite places in the world is Vancouver Island (I lived there for a time, as a child). As you arrive at Departure Bay on the ferry from Horseshoe Bay you will find yourself in Nanaimo...home of the famous Nanaimo Bars and less famous Bathtub Races. Sure, Nanaimo may not be as beautiful or quaint as Victoria but it holds some hidden treasures.

PIPER'S LAGOON: When I was a child this lagoon was almost unknown to anyone but the locals. It still rarely gets too crowded and it's the perfect place to take children for a day's hike, swim, and picnic. From the many cliffs you are likely to see seals frolicking in the sea. It's an even better place for a romantic stroll and an intimate picnic dinner with that special someone. There are so many secluded little nooks and crannies, you are likely to find privacy.

The lagoon is fairly large and you will be able to find your own private piece of Heaven. You park at one end and walk along a narrow, straight dyke between the lagoon and the restless surf. The waves from the open water have created a marvellous pebbly beach with a great deal of mermaid's tears (a beautiful product of beach glass). Then it gets rocky; there is some non-technical rock-climbing for those who desire it, and one larger hill covered in arbutus and Garry Oak, eagles, driftwood and views of the Strait. Remember, this is not a California beach it's a typical PNW beach. Google Piper's Lagoon, Nanaimo BC Canada for map and directions.

Piper's Lagoon

The beautiful Arbutus tree
Candelion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Candelion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
Trev

How Do You Identify?:
Just a good ole boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male ones
Relationship Status:
She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy

Thanked 10,142 Times in 2,400 Posts
Trev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST Reputation
Default Louisville, Kentucky

Visiting Churchill Downs is one the most recommended places in Louisville. If the horses aren't running on the track, Churchill Downs has museum to visit for the horse racing enthusiast. Churchill Downs officially opened in 1875, and held the first Kentucky Derby and the first Kentucky Oaks in the same year. Churchill Downs has also hosted the renowned Breeders' Cup on eight occasions, most recently in 2011. Churchill Downs Incorporated owns and operates the racetrack. The capacity of Churchill Downs is 120,000.

Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trev For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
MysticOceansFL

How Do You Identify?:
Butch,
Preferred Pronoun?:
People call me by my nic name.
Relationship Status:
Not Single, Not Desperate.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,720 Posts
MysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST Reputation
Default Places I've been to while in the Military and Montana where I used to live before moving back to Florida

Here are a select few places I've been and will always remember and that hopefully you'll enjoy and go there also. South Korea, Hawaii, Japan, German, France, Ft Riley Kansas, and Ft Gordon Ga.

It is said, " Some lives are linked across time.....

Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages "......
MysticOceansFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MysticOceansFL For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Candelion

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her/you
Relationship Status:
He can till my field.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 897 Posts
Candelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default The Bovine Sex Club 542 Queen Street West Toronto, ON Canada

I've never been much for the bar scene, but the Bovine Sex Club is one of my favourite local hangouts. Known as The Bovine to locals, this is a bar that's all about the music. This is the place to be to hear independent musicians and artists, playing everything from rock to punk to alternative to rockabilly. Bonus: It's in a cool part of town (and they still let me in).

Candelion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Candelion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Trev

How Do You Identify?:
Just a good ole boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male ones
Relationship Status:

Trev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST Reputation
Default Kansas City, Missouri

Harley Davidson factory tours offer the chance to extraordinary people channel their pride and expertise into machines.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trev For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Trev

How Do You Identify?:
Just a good ole boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male ones
Relationship Status:

Default Lake Cumberland, Kentucky

A personal favorite of mine.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trev For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #7
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
Harley Davidson factory tours offer the chance to extraordinary people channel their pride and expertise into machines.

The also used to offer tours at the Milwaukee plant. Not positive if they still do or not, but if so I highly recommend it.
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,247 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

If you're ever through Little Rock, stop and see the Old Mill. If you've seen Gone With The Wind, the mill in the credits isn't in Atlanta or even Georgia-it's in North LR. It was moved and reassembled at the current park, but the flooring and wheel are authentic.

Actually, if you go to the Quapaw Quarter of historic houses, you will see Ville Marre. Those of you of a certain age will recognize it as the Sugarbaker house from Designing Women.