Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

Old 02-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default The FILIBUSTER: Should the US Senate Modify or Get Rid of It Entirely?

This thread is aimed at discussing the pros & cons of the filibuster rules in the US Senate and recent discussion of these rules being modified or the total eradication of the filibuster.

Let it rip!

************************************************** ******Filibuster: the use of irregular or obstructive tactics by a member of a legislative assembly to prevent the adoption of a measure generallyfavored or to force a decision against the will of the majority. (a common definition).

Last edited by AtLast; 02-18-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: goofed
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

How about this............

Keep the filibuster and make the opposing party actually filibuster...........as in 24/7 talk.........bring in the cots and the phones books and the dictionaries.

The threat of filibuster is very different from actually caring it out. Call them on it...........make them filibuster in the true sense of the word rather than threatening a filibuster. If the opposing party wants to actually grind governing to a halt then make them do it...........talk, talk, talk, talk,..........

Let the voters see first hand what filibuster means. Come the next Nov elections, the voters will have a clear cut choice.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

I heard a snippet of this discussed on NPR yesterday and the person being interviewed basically shares the same idea as Toughy. I agree.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
How about this............

Keep the filibuster and make the opposing party actually filibuster...........as in 24/7 talk.........bring in the cots and the phones books and the dictionaries.

The threat of filibuster is very different from actually caring it out. Call them on it...........make them filibuster in the true sense of the word rather than threatening a filibuster. If the opposing party wants to actually grind governing to a halt then make them do it...........talk, talk, talk, talk,..........

Let the voters see first hand what filibuster means. Come the next Nov elections, the voters will have a clear cut choice.
I know, I have thought about this too. Call them on it!! It seems to me that would be the last straw for people (no matter what party). Would demonstrate just how , destructive, and counter-productive the filibuster (or, threat of it) can be. It has a place, but, the GOP has stopped Senate business 112 times since Obam took office!

I am so frustrated with these idiots (both sides - neither is my side). And now that corporations will be able to buy elections (even in secret - plans of how to hide their edge are in the works), my faith in our legislative institutions is just gone.

Argh.. don't even get me started on the opening day of the CPAC Convention.... thinking a 2012 presidential ticket will have another Cheny - Liz Cheny!!! But, I digress...
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: