Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished Medusa's Gaze and Vampire's Bite: The Science of Monsters by Matt Kaplan. I listened to an interview with this author on NPR in October and ordered the book. I finally got to it in the pile last weekend and I loved it. Kaplan takes a look at the history of monsters and what social or scientific themes may have led to their creation. It's interesting, well researched, and wittily written.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #1682
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
Is Russell Bertrand the same dude as the Brit, Bertrand Russell. The philosopher and Nobel lit. winner?

Yes. That's pretty much the basics of what I know of him. That's why I'd like to read his biography. I believe that he was also a mathematician.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #1683
falloutmk

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ze, Zir, or She, her, ect if needed.
Relationship Status:
Single, Poly, and happy.

falloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputation

I am
* listening to The girl With The Dragon Tattoo audiobook.
* finishing up some of the stories from Femmethology Volume II
* reading intelligent GenderQueer smut in Take Me There by Tristan Tarantino
falloutmk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to falloutmk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #1684
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
Yes. That's pretty much the basics of what I know of him. That's why I'd like to read his biography. I believe that he was also a mathematician.
Thank-you.

I think that polymath is the word to describe Bertrand Russell.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #1685
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
Thank-you.

I think that polymath is the word to describe Bertrand Russell.

Nice...Daktari. Exactly.

...Hey, give me some of that encyclopedic learnin' ability...*chuckle*
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #1686
Butterbean

How Do You Identify?:
----
Preferred Pronoun?:
----

Thanked 2,220 Times in 772 Posts
Butterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I just finished "Sante Fe Edge" by Stuart Woods and was riveted by the combo of smut and crime. LOL
Butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butterbean For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #1687
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Omg, that book you mentioned was so good and so obscure, so it was funny to see your post on it. Would you mind linking me to the books you read on BPD and giving your own brief reviews? As a therapist I'm always particularly fascinated by BPD. I also dated someone with BPD in college and that contributed to my interest in lesbians with BPD.

My fave books on Borderlines are:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Need-Tourniquet-Borderline-Personality/dp/158005305X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356198959&sr=8-1&keywords=girl+in+need+of+a+tourniquet"]Girl in Need of a Tourniquet: Memoir of a Borderline Personality: Merri Lisa Johnson: 9781580053051: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

This one is by a woman with BPD. It has an odd writing style and is very quote heavy. At first I decided it wasn't a good book, and then in retrospect I found that aspects of it did have a memorable impact, and I decided I liked it. It's a lesbian memoir.

and

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Borderlines-A-Memoir-Caroline-Kraus/dp/0767914287/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356198999&sr=8-2&keywords=caroline+borderlines"]Borderlines: A Memoir: Caroline Kraus: 9780767914284: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

This is a memoir with a lesbian twist of sorts by a woman who was best friends with and somewhat romantically involved with a woman with BPD. Excellent writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutmk View Post
I am reading Sirens Song: My Marriage to a Borderline. It's a memoir from a medical students perspective of how luring a relationship to someone with Borderline Personality Disorder can be. As weird as it sounds I have been researching BPD since I discovered the ex who I had the longest relationship with had it... This is my 5th book on Borderline Personaility Disorder in 3 months.

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #1688
femmeandstrong

How Do You Identify?:
just me...imperfect but warm-hearted me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I am alright and still smiling - keeping my eyes on what lasts and matters

Thanked 1,040 Times in 279 Posts
femmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputation

reading a txtbook for understanding medical billing and health insurance...
and another course on medical terminology...
LOL
femmeandstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #1689
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,973 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

jus' finished "quail fried rice", by jill carroll (was a decent read)

am now readin' "murder, murder, deja vu", by polly iyer (it's rivetin')
Old 12-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #1690
Dance-with-me

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 1,926 Times in 378 Posts
Dance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST Reputation

"Reading" some fairly crappy mindless romantic novel via books on CD during my commute to work.

Reading two books from the library: "Home" by Toni Morrison, and "I am Forbidden" by Anouk Markovits.

Just finished "The Cross in the Closet" by Timothy Kurek, and "Licking the Spoon" by Candace Walsh.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #1691
falloutmk

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ze, Zir, or She, her, ect if needed.
Relationship Status:
Single, Poly, and happy.

falloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputation
Default To NYCfembbw

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Queer-Pleasant-Danger-Memoir/dp/0807001651"]Here [/ame] is the book that started getting me interested in Borderline.
It is a book by the writer of My Gender Workbook, Kate Bornstein.
Mostly it's about her journey through Borderline PD and her encounters with being a into Scientology.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Buddha-Borderline-Recovery-Personality-Dialectical/dp/157224710X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356217096&sr=1-1&keywords=borderline+and+the+buddha"]Here[/ame] is the only book on BorderlinePD the I didn't breeze through because i wanted to savor every morsel of the book.
The book that chronicles a girls relationships and how she was able to recover from the disorder with Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Activism, and taking refuge in Buddha.

You also said you had interest in Bipolar Memoirs which I have not read many on but I have one last recommendation for a therapist to read.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rage-Against-Meshugenah-Takes-Balls/dp/B00342VERO/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356217484&sr=1-1&keywords=rage+against+the+meshugenah+why+it+take s+balls+to+go+nuts"]Rage Against The Meshuganah: Why it Takes Balls to go Nuts[/ame].
An excellent book on Depression from one mans perspective.

falloutmk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to falloutmk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #1692
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

RE: the previous post right next to this one by falloutmk

Wow, thank you so much for this.

I have the one by Kate but haven't read it yet. BPD AND scientology?! I'm sure to have a literary orgasm! I really liked Kate's other memoir from many years ago: Gender Outlaw and also her book of alternatives to suicide for gay freaks (paraphrasing). Those were both total keepers. She was the guest speaker at our LGBT synagogue this year, and it was my first time seeing her in person. Love her!

I've seen "Borderline and the Buddha" but been on the fence about it. It got great reviews but I was not interested in reading it if a whole lot was on the DBT process because I felt it might feel too much like work to me. Is there a lot of technical stuff on DBT in it?

Haven't read the third book, though I like the title . You mentioned you read some other books that are not on BPD but similar. I'm curious what sort of stuff?

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #1693
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Cool oh mah word...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
Omg, that book you mentioned was so good and so obscure, so it was funny to see your post on it. Would you mind linking me to the books you read on BPD and giving your own brief reviews? As a therapist I'm always particularly fascinated by BPD. I also dated someone with BPD in college and that contributed to my interest in lesbians with BPD.

My fave books on Borderlines are:

Girl in Need of a Tourniquet: Memoir of a Borderline Personality: Merri Lisa Johnson: 9781580053051: Amazon.com: Books

This one is by a woman with BPD. It has an odd writing style and is very quote heavy. At first I decided it wasn't a good book, and then in retrospect I found that aspects of it did have a memorable impact, and I decided I liked it. It's a lesbian memoir.

and

Borderlines: A Memoir: Caroline Kraus: 9780767914284: Amazon.com: Books

This is a memoir with a lesbian twist of sorts by a woman who was best friends with and somewhat romantically involved with a woman with BPD. Excellent writing.
as a mental health professional, i say bpd has to be da most truly challengin' folks to work wit'. they bring out ALL your countertransference shite! i've learnt mo' from bpd individuals than from ana otha major mental illness i've had da privilege to work wit'...
Old 12-23-2012, 02:54 AM   #1694
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #1695
torchiegirl

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 1,605 Times in 545 Posts
torchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputation

this month's Smithsonian magazine

torchiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to torchiegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #1696
Nomad
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme Daddy's girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
disinterested

Thanked 3,745 Times in 734 Posts
Nomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST Reputation

Emotional Blackmail: When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward

A Thousand Mornings by Mary Oliver
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #1697
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Girl-Novel-Gillian-Flynn/dp/030758836X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356274337&sr=8-1&keywords=gone+girl"]Gone Girl: A Novel [/ame]by Gillian Flynn

Seriously twisted (and twist-filled) story; very compelling, I've not finished it yet but I'm finding it hard to put down. If you think you may want to read the book, don't read many reviews because even with the best intentions they are full of spoilers.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #1698
Prudence

How Do You Identify?:
"congratulations, it's a girl"
Preferred Pronoun?:
Woman
Relationship Status:
single

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.
Thanked 1,179 Times in 363 Posts
Prudence Has the BEST ReputationPrudence Has the BEST ReputationPrudence Has the BEST ReputationPrudence Has the BEST ReputationPrudence Has the BEST ReputationPrudence Has the BEST ReputationPrudence Has the BEST ReputationPrudence Has the BEST ReputationPrudence Has the BEST ReputationPrudence Has the BEST ReputationPrudence Has the BEST Reputation

I was given the 50 Shades Trilogy for Christmas. Began reading it Christmas day evening. I am enjoying it. Its turning out to be a sweet love story. I am so tired of self help this and that. This is truly fun, take me away, reading-----
"There is a vitality, a life force, and energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique."---Martha Graham
Prudence is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prudence For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #1699
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

i borrowed the chess machine by robert lohr from the library

i don't know if it's good yet but the description sounds awesome

"Based on a true story, The Chess Machine is the breathtaking historical adventure of a legendary invention that astounded all who crossed its path

Vienna 1770: Baron Wolfgang von Kempelen unveils a strange and amazing invention, the Mechanical Turk, a sensational and unbeatable chess-playing automaton. But what the Habsburg court hails as the greatest innovation of the century is really nothing more than a brilliant illusion. The chess machine is secretly operated from inside by the Italian dwarf Tibor, a God-fearing social outcast whose chess-playing abilities and diminutive size make him the perfect accomplice in this grand hoax.

Von Kempelen and his helpers tour his remarkable invention all around Europe to amaze and entertain the public, but despite many valiant attempts and close calls, no one is able to beat the extraordinary chess machine. The crowds all across Europe adore the Turk, and the success of Baron von Kempelen seems assured. But when a beautiful and seductive countess dies under mysterious circumstances in the presence of the automaton, the Mechanical Turk falls under a cloud of suspicion, and the machine and his inventor become the targets of espionage, persecution, and aristocratic intrigue. What is the dark secret behind this automaton and what strange powers does it hold? The Chess Machine is a daring and remarkable tale, based on a true story, full of envy, lust, scandal and deception."
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #1700
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Member Photo Albums
Cool oy...

some trashy (free) suspense novel on me kindle. and i like it... lol

Tags
books, reading