Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

Old 09-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #21
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am mad as hell about what happened in the senate yesterday!

Ferfucksakes, they held up resources for our troops serving based on the politics around DADT!! But it is just fine for gays and lesbians serving to be killed and injured!

I am so tired of thr right wing GOP! And the fact of the matter is that I bet I personally fall on a pretty moderate scale on many issues overall. I'm not all that radical to the left most of the time. I also deeply support those in the military. No, I don't like war, but, these people are putting their lives on the line for us.

This just makes me sick on a human level.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #22
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
I am mad as hell about what happened in the senate yesterday!

Ferfucksakes, they held up resources for our troops serving based on the politics around DADT!! But it is just fine for gays and lesbians serving to be killed and injured!

I am so tired of thr right wing GOP! And the fact of the matter is that I bet I personally fall on a pretty moderate scale on many issues overall. I'm not all that radical to the left most of the time. I also deeply support those in the military. No, I don't like war, but, these people are putting their lives on the line for us.

This just makes me sick on a human level.
I totally agree with "not liking war", hell, my old motto was " if they don't want gays to serve, then don't draft them" or denied for not being flat foot but "light in the loafer".
When I hear stories of folks actually willing and desirous to risk all for my rights ( whether I have them all or not) I have to place my support with these men and women.
I am pretty moderate also and do actually try to research my candidates and issues as I get older and try to become more informed.
I don't think anyone thought this would really pass on to the debate stage because why? Mid term elections.... Everything has to wait until then. Unfortunately, any decent politicians will only have about nine months to get anything done before what? 2012 elections....

I am only 46, but I swear, our system could not have always been this party driven, could it? Wasn't there a time when our representatives actually placed THAT responsibility first?

Perhaps we need a radical movement such as the Tea Party for those of us simply fighting for human rights. Maybe the Disco Party. I think it is time our electorate realizes that they can be voted out as easily as they were voted in. I would love to see the fat cats replaced with truly grass roots candidates who don't spend millions on ads or channels running 24/7 with their "message".

It becomes more difficult to retain hope for our future when our present is so crappy and doesn't seem to be heading into a brighter direction. Sorry for sounding so glum.

Thanks, At Last!
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #23
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I totally agree with "not liking war", hell, my old motto was " if they don't want gays to serve, then don't draft them" or denied for not being flat foot but "light in the loafer".
When I hear stories of folks actually willing and desirous to risk all for my rights ( whether I have them all or not) I have to place my support with these men and women.
I am pretty moderate also and do actually try to research my candidates and issues as I get older and try to become more informed.
I don't think anyone thought this would really pass on to the debate stage because why? Mid term elections.... Everything has to wait until then. Unfortunately, any decent politicians will only have about nine months to get anything done before what? 2012 elections....

I am only 46, but I swear, our system could not have always been this party driven, could it? Wasn't there a time when our representatives actually placed THAT responsibility first?

Perhaps we need a radical movement such as the Tea Party for those of us simply fighting for human rights. Maybe the Disco Party. I think it is time our electorate realizes that they can be voted out as easily as they were voted in. I would love to see the fat cats replaced with truly grass roots candidates who don't spend millions on ads or channels running 24/7 with their "message".

It becomes more difficult to retain hope for our future when our present is so crappy and doesn't seem to be heading into a brighter direction. Sorry for sounding so glum.

Thanks, At Last!
Disco Party? Please tell me that polyester suits (ala Travolta in SNF) and those hideous hairstyles aren't required? I'm also opposed to sequins.

I think something like the "Has some Goddamn&d Sense" Party might be nice.
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #24
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

All I got to say.. is NO FAG, NO FLAIR!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #25
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Default President Obama: End the Military Discharges

An on line petition from GET EQUAL. It only takes a second to send!

http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/...tition_KEY=666
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #26
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Default more DADT related stories...

Judge Orders Lesbian Reinstated To Air Force

by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
September 24, 2010
A federal judge ruled Friday that a decorated flight nurse discharged from the Air Force for being gay should be given her job back as soon as possible in the latest legal setback to the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

The decision by U.S. District Judge Ronald Leighton came in a closely watched case as a tense debate has been playing out over the policy. Senate Republicans blocked an effort to lift the ban this week, but two federal judges have ruled against the policy in recent weeks.

Maj. Margaret Witt was discharged under the "don't ask, don't tell" policy and sued to get her job back. A judge in 2006 rejected Witt's claims that the Air Force
violated her rights when it fired her. An appeals court panel overruled him two years later, leaving it to Leighton to determine whether her firing met that standard.

Witt, of Spokane, joined the Air Force in 1987 and was suspended in 2004 just short of retirement after her commanders learned she was in a relationship with a civilian woman. She was a flight nurse with an aeromedical evacuation squadron responsible for transporting and caring for injured soldiers.

Her attorneys, led by the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington, insisted that Witt was well respected and liked by her colleagues, that her sexuality never caused problems in the unit, and that her firing actually hurt military goals such as morale, unit cohesion and troop readiness. Several members of the squadron testified to that effect and said they would welcome Witt back to the unit.

Lawyers for the Air Force said such evidence was irrelevant.

Military personnel decisions can't be run by unit referendum, they said.
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````
Former Marine Sees 'Long Way To Go' For Equality

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4516989

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #27
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

I am totally jazzed by this decision. There is little likelihood that it will ne over turned in appeal since it was referred b the appellate court back to the lower courts for reconsideration. The talk on the news could be that this will bring an end to DADT since the court ruled that each person could only be fired following proof that they caused harm to the goal of the military or to the morale of the unit.

A little bit of progress made today
We shall overcome,
Smooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2010, 07:24 AM   #28
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,864 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Here's the decision of Maj. Witt's case as covered by Rachel Maddow.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908...52146#39352146

I'm totally thrilled with this. I look at each one of my own Drill Instructors from Parris Island, SC, (1979) who were discharged for simply being gay (all but one of 4) and I wonder where they are now. I know they're watching this and I can't help but feel that they are smiling. After 31 years, change is coming and justice is finally on the way.

I also wonder if they, like so many others who were discharged for no more cause than who they love, were among those who received administrative discharges that were "under conditions other than honorable". That was common back then, and it stripped these good people of all VA benefits and marred their records for life.

When DADT is finally overturned and things are put to right, I hope these past heroes will be able to submit application to correct their military discharges that will allow them full benefits as United States Veterans. I will keep these honorable men and women in my thoughts and prayers for justice and final resolution of this terrible wrong.

~Theo~
Old 09-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #29
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanks for the link Theo! What amazes me is that even after her discharge, this woman chose to work with vets. It says a great deal to her integrity and her loyalty to our armed forces.

Thanks again. I am also excited beyond words at the progress being made!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #30
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,864 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Thanks for the link Theo! What amazes me is that even after her discharge, this woman chose to work with vets. It says a great deal to her integrity and her loyalty to our armed forces.

Thanks again. I am also excited beyond words at the progress being made!

I agree, Jess.

Speaking to the point you bring up about working with Vets.....there are many, many of us Vets out here who have chosen to work with other Vets. I, like Maj. Witt, was discharged against my will, though I was discharged for a reason related to my medical condition and not specifically because of my sexual orientation.

I think there is something "healing" about working with Vets, at least for me. I think Maj. Witt would understand this, if not feel similarly, herself. I wasn't able to complete my service contract for reasons I had no control over, either, but working as I do now with Vets, has helped to fill that void. In a strange sense, I feel like my employment with the VA has allowed me to serve in a capacity which I am able, even if it is not in uniform. The Veteran community is *my* community, a part of me. I've met and talked to a few other Vets, over the years, who have found themselves in similar circumstances, for whatever reason. I totally understand why Maj. Witt would and has *chosen* to put her skills, professionalism, heart and soul into working with Veterans. American Veterans are simply second to none.

I can't find the words to express how very happy and proud I am for Major Witt and the many, many proud service members and Veterans whom this case will affect in a lot of very meaningful and healing ways.

~Theo~
Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #31
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Default The Fight Isn't Over! Tell Holder: Don't defend "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"

Petition to Eric Holder to allow fed court ruling that DADT is unconstitutional to stand!

http://gayrights.change.org/petition..._ask_dont_tell
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #32
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default DADT Repeal being signed by President now on CNN

Quote:
Petition to Eric Holder to allow fed court ruling that DADT is unconstitutional to stand!

http://gayrights.change.org/petition..._ask_dont_tell

I sit here watching it live on CNN.

Tears stream down my face for those who know, and those who do not. For those who ended their careers and their lives for coming out in the military.

For those who fought for this for years, and for those that have risen above and know our truth. Now we can serve openly and proud.

Honorably Discharged, but by the grace of God.

Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #33
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #34
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #35
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Lt. Dan Choi gets his West Point ring back from Sen. Harry Reid

In a vivid moment of political theater at a conference last summer, Lt. Dan Choi -- a combat vet discharged from the Army after acknowledging he's gay -- handed his West Point ring to Sen. Harry Reid. The majority leader promised to return it when "don't ask, don't tell" was repealed. After dropping a Twitter hint this week, Choi scored an invitation to President Obama's bill-signing Wednesday... then closed the loop that afternoon in a meeting at Reid's office, where the senator gladly handed him his ring. Story over? Not for Choi: "The next time I get a ring from a man," he tweeted later, "I expect it to be for full, equal, American marriage."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/rel...to_dadt_s.html
Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 PM   #36
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

21 gun salute for Lt. Dan Choi!!!
Smooches,
Keri

Old 12-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #37
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

I am 63 years old and I can't even begin to tell you how glad I am that I have lived to see this legislation passed. I cried when it came to cloture, I cried when it passed the Senate and the House of Representatives, and I cried when President Obama signed the bill earlier today. I never believed I would live to see any of the freedoms we have achieved so far. Each step has been hard fought and joyfully won.

Still what tempers my joy is the knowledge that while "we" are now being given permission to die for our country, the legislation to ensure that we will be able to live freely in that same country is yet to be achieved.

Smooches,
Keri
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #38
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

The real question is: WHEN will it be implemented? It will be no sooner than 60 days and more than likely will be several months before folks can actually serve openly.

Anybody on active duty had best NOT come out yet.....you can still be discharged under less than honorable conditions. And if you are going to enlist now, don't tell!
Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #39
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

That the actually repealed DADT is a huge step forward. I am hoping that goes for trans people too, but no mention was made about transfolks in the military. Anyone know what that policy is?
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #40
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiczombie View Post
That the actually repealed DADT is a huge step forward. I am hoping that goes for trans people too, but no mention was made about transfolks in the military. Anyone know what that policy is?
My answer is purely my opinion. I have not done research to confirm it. I suspect the policy does not allow for Transexuals. I doubt if the military uses the nomenclature, Transgender.

In previous LGBTQ proposed legislation coming before Congress the "T" was a point of conteniton and debate. (Even among our LGBTQ Community. Not just with the mainstream.)

I am willing to bet there is no allowance, protection or legal recognition of "Transfolk" of any kind in the Armed Forces of the USA.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post: