Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation
Default Stuff You Should Know

I saw this CAREERS, WORK, BUSINESS section a while back and didn't see myself every posting here and then my employer started to expand last month and we started to do some interviews.

Preface... I've been in Management for nearly 30 years in a wide variety of industries. There are some basic dos/don'ts and while you may not agree with them but they're true nonetheless.

Coat tailing off a podcast I like called "Stuff You Should Know" ... here's some stuff you... or someone you know... should know...

The Resume

If they have a lot of applicants, the first thing HR or Management is going to do it look for those resumes they have no intentions of reviewing... e.g. they're' too long. If they have 100 +/- applicants... they will toss over two pages. They might even toss those that are two pages depending on how many resumes they get.

Unless you're looking for a very specific type of job that requires very specific types of skills sets... one resume does not fit all. The resume you submit should fit the job description. This means you may have to make more than one resume. In fact, you would do well to notice the similarities in the job descriptions and then tailor your resume to fit the job. This does NOT mean lying, this means to simply use the same words they're using to define the job.

The Interview / Hiring Process

Do not announce your presence to a prospective employer more than five minutes early. A specific time was set for a reason. The time selected worked for you and worked for them. Showing up extra early does not impress. Chances are, you're throwing off your potential employer's schedule and/or demonstrating an inability to follow direction.

When asked a question do not rush to answer it. Actively listen to each question and ask for clarification if necessary. Keep your response on target/on point to answering the question. Once you've answered the question, stop! Of course your nervous... when we're nervous we sometimes start to "ramble," ... it's a natural thing to do ... guard against it.

Don't tell your interviewers that you're nervous. They know you're nervous! Even so... they're looking for the person who appears to be perfectly comfortable and who makes them feel comfortable.

You've only ever had wonderful jobs and wonderful bosses. Naturally, that's may not be 100% but do not dis your previous employer, coworkers and/or bosses. No one wants to hear it

Yes, employers (the HR Department) will Google your name and browse you on every social media platform they can find. Even if you think you're weekend party life is none of anyone's business and you're an excellent employee ... your possible employer doesn't know you and is not likely to take the chance.

You Got The Job

Freedom of speech does not exist within workplace. General topics to void: religion, sex and politics.

Do not FACEBOOK your coworkers. Why mix your professional and personal lives. If things go sour in your personal life, now they can go sour in your professional life too ... and vice versa.

Complete your grooming regime at home. Don't clip, file, whatever your nails at work. Do not finish putting your makeup on at your desk or even in the ladies room. The exception ... if the company has an onsite gym.

That's all I've got for now... questions?
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post: