The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default Why can't common sense and good will be more, well, common?

Seriously. Why are we only polite for a day or two out of the whole year? Why can't we have that kind of generosity and kindness year round (sans the consumerism)? This popped into my head as I was doing research for a course I'm teaching next week. I'm listening to holiday music with the window open (it's fairly mild here in NYC) and cranking the music louder and louder to drown out the cars honking on our little narrow street trying to move forward. And it just struck me as one of those little Why? questions.

I kinda wish I had huge speakers I could aim towards the street in hopes that perhaps people might realize that patience, politeness and good cheer can go a long way to making the day better than honking unnecessarily (seriously if you haven't moved in the last 5 min of honking you've done, it's probably time to change tactics).

Sigh.

Good will and happiness to all, all year long and beyond.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Ohh I so agree!

It seems insane to see people fighting over Christmas presents in store and the blowing of horns really freaks me out.

Peace and Harmony!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
MrSunshine

How Do You Identify?:
The Gardner
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ummmm
Relationship Status:
Nah

23 Highscores

Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,154 Posts
MrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST Reputation

I think people in the world just need more Valium. It's a cure all for every type of assholeyism.
MrSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrSunshine For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

It reminds me of the movie "It's a Wonderful Life".

Some people are happy being evil, nasty, miserable, and mean. I say find joy in life.

Love,
Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2009, 01:05 AM   #5
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadyboy View Post
I think people in the world just need more Valium. It's a cure all for every type of assholeyism.

Yes, I agree.....perhaps cranky assholettes should be issued a valium drip for various levels of asshattery.....

The more one shows their ass, the bigger & more frequent the drip.

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation
Default Paying it forward.....

So, I had to get the oil changed on my car today... had my coupon in my pocket and was ready to go. I go to pull out said coupon to give them a call before I left work - and behold - I lost my damn coupon. So ... I jumped online, found their site and printed two new ones ... thinking Mare needs to get Her truck done too.

I walk into the place and it's just me, and two other men. The older gentleman sat next to the younger one and stirred up a conversation. Turns out the old fella had a bunch of different coupons and gave the guy one for his tire change.

Old fella sits next to me and asks "so ... what are you in for?" After a slight chuckle I reply - "oil change". He says "oh, that's what I am getting done, sorry I only have one coupon for that...." I had my own, it was all good.

I reach in my pocket and hand him my $10 off coupon to replace his $7 off one. Hey, three bucks is three bucks. He was kind enough to share what he had - and you don't see that kind of kindness too often anymore. And ... maybe he can hand his $7 off coupon to someone that doesn't have one.

Reminded me that good will is not long gone, it merely gets lost in the shuffle. It takes the action of one to create a snowball effect.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFemmie View Post
So, I had to get the oil changed on my car today... had my coupon in my pocket and was ready to go. I go to pull out said coupon to give them a call before I left work - and behold - I lost my damn coupon. So ... I jumped online, found their site and printed two new ones ... thinking Mare needs to get Her truck done too.

I walk into the place and it's just me, and two other men. The older gentleman sat next to the younger one and stirred up a conversation. Turns out the old fella had a bunch of different coupons and gave the guy one for his tire change.

Old fella sits next to me and asks "so ... what are you in for?" After a slight chuckle I reply - "oil change". He says "oh, that's what I am getting done, sorry I only have one coupon for that...." I had my own, it was all good.

I reach in my pocket and hand him my $10 off coupon to replace his $7 off one. Hey, three bucks is three bucks. He was kind enough to share what he had - and you don't see that kind of kindness too often anymore. And ... maybe he can hand his $7 off coupon to someone that doesn't have one.

Reminded me that good will is not long gone, it merely gets lost in the shuffle. It takes the action of one to create a snowball effect.
This made me happy and I didn't even GET a coupon, whether $7 off or $10!

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

people are crazy and things are getting crazier
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

I believe in paying it forward, but people are just too sick or crazy nowadays to even do that. Heck, good samaritans are no longer even thinking of being good samaritans any longer. It's sad. Times sure have changed, and not for the better imho.

Personally, I think everyone should volunteer at Christmas or Thanksgiving. And involve homeless children. It opens up hearts and minds.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
SassyLeo
Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Thanked 1,584 Times in 622 Posts
SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I was buying cat food the other day and realized the coupon I had was for the xlarge bag and I only needed the small bag. There was a guy buying the same food as I was in the xlarge bag, so I offered it to him. He said sure and thanked me. $3 is $3!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyLeo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
Vlasta
BFP Sentinels

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 1,002 Times in 286 Posts
Vlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST Reputation

I really must be getting old or ancient . I used to be pissy about a lot of things . For example, I do have a long commute to work and to a school . Not actually so much mileage , but insanity of the Atlanta traffic . I am always trying to beat a time to get to school or work .

Sometimes , I have some slow driver in the front of me . First, I suddenly start thinking come on and then immediately I am thinking what if this person is elderly , not feeling good or have something bad happen at home , a sick family member or whatever ?

Also , I don't think out there are so many people they are crazy , but time we are living in right now are crazy . People lost they jobs , houses in foreclosures , how to place food on table for family and much more .I feel people are so preoccupied with a basic needs right now that for some it's hard to overcome they stresses . By no means I am not saying it's ok to be rude and not to have a common courtesy to others , but a little understanding goes a long way too . ... just my opinion .
Vlasta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vlasta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadyboy View Post
With a Seroquel chaser..

Seriously, this thread is definitely food for thought. I do agree Linus that patience, politeness and good cheer can go a long way. Why stress over things we have absolutely no control over?

Duchess
Old 12-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Good old fashion politeness is something not seen much these days with ppl in such a hurry to go hear and there.My grannie whould haunt me with threats of a good swating with a pecan tree switch if I was rude to anybody.I honestly am not shure ppl are taught maners like they use to..the world is just needing a hugh dose of prozack.
Rockin
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #14
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I went to the store tonight....and in front of me was a woman buying Christmas for her child/children......her card didn't work. She was in tears.....

And it was a card of a friend and she couldn't remember the pin number. And then couldn't reach the friend.

I would have given ANYthing to have been able to afford to buy her stuff for her.......however, having been out of a job myself (my little private school closed and let us all go), I couldn't do it. I don't have small children anymore.....my daughter's getting Spaghettio's and chocolate! lol (And she's happy!)

I felt her pain and hated that I was helpless to do anything for her.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2009, 04:45 AM   #15
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
Why stress over things we have absolutely no control over?
I say this ALL the time. But there are times where one can feel and understand the frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyLeo View Post
I was buying cat food the other day and realized the coupon I had was for the xlarge bag and I only needed the small bag. There was a guy buying the same food as I was in the xlarge bag, so I offered it to him. He said sure and thanked me. $3 is $3!
Right on! lol ... It's the simple gestures in life that really make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
This made me happy and I didn't even GET a coupon, whether $7 off or $10!
Ever try to do something nice for someone and all you get is a nasty or negative response back? It's happened to me many times, and it makes me want to feel that it isn't even worth the effort to try and be nice to people.

I think it's all about response. If people were just a little more receptive in a positive way ... the negativity wouldn't be so contagious.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #16
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Ever try to do something nice for someone and all you get is a nasty or negative response back? It's happened to me many times, and it makes me want to feel that it isn't even worth the effort to try and be nice to people.

I think it's all about response. If people were just a little more receptive in a positive way ... the negativity wouldn't be so contagious.
Perhaps they were embarrassed.....I know that there is a certain amount of pride involved when asking for help. I hate having to ask for help myself. H~A~T~E I~T.

So if You offer help to someone who doesn't know You, perhaps it's the pride speaking, and not their heart at all.

It's worth the effort, NYJ, I know You know this......because someday, You're gonna try that one more time, and be welcomed with tears of thankfulness.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #17
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Perhaps they were embarrassed.....I know that there is a certain amount of pride involved when asking for help. I hate having to ask for help myself. H~A~T~E I~T.

So if You offer help to someone who doesn't know You, perhaps it's the pride speaking, and not their heart at all.

It's worth the effort, NYJ, I know You know this......because someday, You're gonna try that one more time, and be welcomed with tears of thankfulness.

I can understand that - and usually that is the first thought that pops into my head. I hate asking for help, or being put in a position where I NEED help. It's an uncomfy feeling, yes.

*smile* I still do it no matter how they respond to it. It makes ME feel good inside. I usually get the looks, and I just ignore it.

But some days... people just make me wanna go on their ass! lol

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #18
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

I've noticed something a little different this year.

As someone who works a lot with social service agencies, I've found that people coming in and asking for help are especially grateful and humble this year in comparison to past years.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #19
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Mare works in an incredibly busy retail store. On Black Friday, She was amazed how people were actually going out of their way to be extra nice.

She was saying that various people through out the day made it up to the register being short a few dollars/cents ... She said it was refreshing to see people digging into their pockets to lend a helping hand.

The Following User Says Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #20
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

I love seeing the choice to just be kind in action!
My girl reminds me sometimes when I have " lost my manners".. It's kind of a joke with us, but it does make me more conscious of my interactions in the world.
Being one of those butch women who often get stared at.. whispered about, etc. I had found myself pulling away from the world at large, and it sometimes takes a bit of a deep breath for me to be comfortable enough to even offer a helping hand. Even then, I am sometimes just met with a blank stare as i can tell when whoever I am doing something for is "sizing me up".
Sometimes I need to be kind to folks as much for me as for them.

Great thread! Thanks!
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post: