Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

The Complete Works of Guy De Maupassant.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #1182
Massive

How Do You Identify?:
Trans man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
not looking

Thanked 2,383 Times in 765 Posts
Massive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST Reputation

Fingerprints Of The Gods - Graham Hancock

Supernatural - Graham Hancock

Underworld - Graham Hancock
Old 02-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #1183
Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,739 Times in 644 Posts
Tawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

"The Huntress" by Nicole Hamlett. It's 2.99 book that Gillian downloaded into our Archives and I decided to give it a whirl.

I'm about 16% done and I've gotten a good chuckle outta it thus far - problem is I don't believe it's a comedy. The writer utilizes cliches like a Shotgun during a Zombie Apocalypse. Despite the protagonist being 30 years old - her first person narrative was spoken more like a whiny 14 year old.

But it's amusing me - so I shall push through it.

Oh Plot: From what I can gather so far - the Greek (and thus Roman I would assume) gods were really Anaceans (I think that's how you spell it, basically the people who occupied Atlantis) who have an extremely long life and can walk through different planes of existence.

The protagonist is supposedly the first "pure breed" of their kind in 3000 years and is the daughter of the one we knew as Diana. You know, The Huntress. You know, The VIRGIN Huntress... who killed someone just for looking at her..

Did I mention the story is amusing? Yes - so I'm not sure about what else, but I'm going to keep reading just because dammit this author's got some mad skills when it comes to working cliches into a sentence.
Tawse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tawse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #1184
Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Tawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfemme View Post
Stone Butch Blues (for the second time)

I love that book but it's a hard read.

I read it once.. and it was amazing at the time but it was equally disappointing. The blatant anti butch/butch relationships in that book - at a time where I was with a butch... meh. Left a very bad taste in my mouth since everyone DOES consider this a "must read" for Butch/TG/Stone/hellanyone...

Leslie has since apologized for some of the thoughts expressed - but I won't recommend it nor read it again. :/
Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #1185
Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Member Photo Albums

Gave up trying to read The Huntress. Made it 62% of the way through it before I just couldn't handle it anymore.

Last night I started reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman... so far so good - even if his writing style has taken a minute to get used to. I keep picturing the bad guys as being "The Gentlemen" from Buffy... not sure if this is accurate or not. We'll see.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #1186
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

I have about six books on the go right now. But one is fiction, short stories. I just thought I would throw that in, just in case Tawse thought I had no personality and was stuffy from read only non-fiction.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #1187
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

I just read "Pets to the rescue, Brave Norman". It was a book sitting on the desk in the 4th grade class room I work in. It was about a dog who was adopted from the pound and went blind. He rescued a little girl who was drownding at the beach despite his blindness. It's a quick 30 page read with mostly pictures and large font, lol. It was a feel good little story and my eyes got a little misty. Hahaha! :-D

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #1188
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

just finished drag king dreams by leslie feinberg now i'm reading where the streets had a name by randa abdel-fattah.

Thirteen-year-old Hayaat is on a mission. She believes a handful of soil from her grandmother's ancestral home in Jerusalem will save her beloved Sitti Zeynab's life. The only problem is the impenetrable wall that divides the West Bank, as well as the checkpoints, the curfews, and Hayaat's best friend Samy, who is always a troublemaker. But luck is on their side. Hayaat and Samy have a curfew-free day to travel to Jerusalem. However, while their journey is only a few kilometres long, it may take a lifetime to complete.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #1189
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Thanked 3,220 Times in 753 Posts
ScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST Reputation

FINALLY finished book 4 of the Game of Thrones series, now I'm a few chapters into book 5. I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #1190
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Rereading -

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

Still as awed and amazed by the astronomical numbers and the surprisingly understandable writing style.

Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #1191
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Just finished the fifth Game of Thrones book, A Dance with Dragons. I understand that George R. R. Martin is borrowing the narrative arc of Lord of the Rings, where the Fellowship of the Rings (AKA the children of Winterfell) must be scattered far and wide to fulfill their personal quests before they can be reunited for a single purpose. But whereas Tolkien kept his characters separated for one book, Martin is going on five. And didn't I read that there's at least two more books planned?? I can't figure out what I'm more frustrated by: the near-misses and waylaid quests of books four and five, or the fact that I'll no doubt be reading the sixth book as soon as it's out. Arrgh.

Next up: Cruddy by Lynda Barry!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #1192
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading a cute little mystery by Joanne Fluke called Devil's Food Cake Murder

She has a series of these kind of books using the same characters
She even puts recipes in all these books
I've used a few of the cookie recipes and 1 muffin recipe from earlier books

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #1193
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

I just bought:

Curious Gorge
by Scott Cook

Non fiction

"Over 100 Hikes and Explorations in the Columbia River Gorge"

I'm reading and browsing it. So far, great book!
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #1194
PaPa

How Do You Identify?:
GQ Butch Daddy
Relationship Status:
A Very Protective BIG Daddy...

Thanked 5,873 Times in 1,530 Posts
PaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST Reputation

I am currently reading Inside Hitler's Bunker: The Last Days of the Third Reich by Joachim C. Fest. I think the title is self-explanatory especially if you know anything about the ending of the Holocaust and Hitler's reign of terror.
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaPa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #1195
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

i absolutely loved where the streets had a name and would recommend it to anyone. abdel-fattah deals with the occupation in a way that's extremely humanizing and very real, though not heavy-handed or overly political. the book is written in the voice of a young girl and it's at a middle school reading level (possibly even younger), although some of the topics can get a bit emotional.

after i finished that i read accidents of nature, a book by harriet mcbryde johnson, who was a disability rights activist and lawyer. it was amazing it's a young adult book as well, geared more towards teens, and it deals with issues of disability rights and coming of age as a disabled young person, but is set in the 70s. i could relate a lot to it. she also has a memoir, too late to die young, that's awesome too
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #1196
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

okay, I admit I'm actually giddy over the upcoming release of the Hunger Games movie. Just ran across this image, can't resist posting.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #1197
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

reading "journey from the center to the page" now

With wisdom for writers at any level and in any genre, nationally known writing and yoga instructor Jeff Davis shows writers how yoga’s principles and practical tools can deepen their writing practice and increase their versatility writers. A grounded guide to the body-mind-imagination connection, this book shows ways for writers to reconnect with their deeper intentions for writing, sustain concentration and confidence when writing, and write with an authentic voice.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...er_to_the_Page
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #1198
Metro

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,916 Times in 733 Posts
Metro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST Reputation

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

ISBN 1400052181
Metro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Metro For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #1199
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,973 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

"a storm of swords" (book 3 of "a song of ice and fire)

"the seat of the soul", by gary zukav
Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #1200
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

i didn't care for the anti anarchist sentiment that seemed randomly sprinkled throughout but this one is really very interesting
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading