Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible, but only up to a point.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,701 Times in 737 Posts
Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation

The novella _Albert Nobbs_ by George Moore. This 1913 novella has key elements that were changed for the film with Glenn Close. It is a good quick read.

“Self-plagiarism is style.” Alfred Hitchcock

Formerly known as Graphiteta2s
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julien For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #1342
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished Let's Pretend This Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir). There were certainly some laugh-out-loud phrases and anectdotes, but overall, I found it lacking. Jenny Lawson is best known as a blogger ("The Bloggess") who writes snarky and self-referential posts about being caught in (and creating) embarrassing social situations. This sounds like the perfect reading material for a David Sedaris enthusiast (me), but Lawson's snippy blog-style writing just doesn't translate to a longer work. I never really got engrossed in the tales of her manic life; instead, it was more like a stand-up comedy act, complete with SENTENCES IN ALL CAPS where she's actually screaming the one-liners from the page. She constantly got detoured off the main narrative, then made detours off the detours... I felt like I needed a flow chart to keep up.

If you love her blog, you'll probably love her book... but the reason the blog-style of writing works for blogs is because they're meant to be short and irreverent, and it's okay to throw in non sequiturs because each post is less than 500 words. But for a 300 page memoir? Time to modify the writing style.

** Warning: Shameless self-promotion to follow**

Now I'm reading Deaf American Prose: 1980 - 2010 (Gallaudet Deaf Literature Series), a collection of essays by Deaf and Hard of Hearing authors. It's a terrific anthology, though I admit I'm biased since I'm one of the authors.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #1343
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

How about what book am I NEVER reading? Anything else by Orson Scott Card. And that's hard because I really liked his work. Until I read this. He's entitled to his opinion. I'm also entitled to mine.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #1344
BrownEyedAngel

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
15 years & still in love....

BrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST ReputationBrownEyedAngel Has the BEST Reputation

I am currently reading The Twelveth Transforming by Pauline Gedge......fictionalized Egyptian history.....Child of the Morning is an amazing book by the same author

Last edited by BrownEyedAngel; 05-29-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Misspelling
BrownEyedAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrownEyedAngel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #1345
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

Academically Adrift by Richard Arum it"s a compelling book, that sure clears up alot of nagging questions, reinforces what I already suspected.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #1346
Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
How about what book am I NEVER reading? Anything else by Orson Scott Card. And that's hard because I really liked his work. Until I read this. He's entitled to his opinion. I'm also entitled to mine.
Arwen,
Thank you for the link on Orson Scott Card, I just had to pull out this quote from the article.

"In fact, the scientific evidence we have points in the opposite direction: Same-sex attraction is not a strait jacket; people's desires change over time; gay people still have choices; a reproductive dysfunction like same-sex attraction is not a death sentence for your DNA or for your desire to have a family in which children grow up with male and female parents to model appropriate gender roles."

The words "reproductive dysfunction like same-sex attraction" caught my eye and then some.

This article is sure to raise some eyebrows and rub people the wrong way.

Julien

Last edited by Julien; 05-29-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: clarification
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julien For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #1347
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Heroes For My Daughter - Brad Meltzer

What a sweet book. Love the people he picked as heroes to teach his daughter about life and the power of the human spirit. Short, to the point, stories of the accomplishments of a wide variety of women, men, and kids.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #1348
SimpleAlaskanBoy

How Do You Identify?:
Bisexual trans guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Daddy to a sweet daisy.

Thanked 1,010 Times in 295 Posts
SimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST Reputation

Trying to finish A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving

<-----Pocky Jedi

"There's only one rule I know of babies-G-d damn it, you've got to be kind."
-Kurt Vonnegut (G-d Bless You, Mr. Rosewater)
SimpleAlaskanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SimpleAlaskanBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #1349
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation

Holiness, Truth and the Presence Of God
~by Francis Frangipane
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #1350
Daktari

Mein Kampf
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #1351
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
Mein Kampf
Yowza!....nice little lite reading, eh?
Old 06-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #1352
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson

...sometimes I just grab this to reread for inspiration. Her words never fail to move me.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 AM   #1353
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
Yowza!....nice little lite reading, eh?
Not one for that's on the bedtime list that's for sure

MK is not a particularly riveting stand-alone read. If it I didn't *have* to read extracts for research then I wouldn't be reading it (again - I read it as a teenager just because I could! )
Old 06-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #1354
Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

Passionate Detachments: An Introduction to Feminist Film Theory by Sue Thornham. Just a re-reading for the nuances I may have forgotten from earlier reads.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julien For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #1355
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

How To Teach Physics To Your Dog - Chad Orzel

One way or another, I will learn physics.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #1356
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
Not one for that's on the bedtime list that's for sure

MK is not a particularly riveting stand-alone read. If it I didn't *have* to read extracts for research then I wouldn't be reading it (again - I read it as a teenager just because I could! )
What a rebel...*chuckle*

I needed something light-hearted and funny after the last book, so I'm reading "BABY LAUGHS" by Jenny McCarthy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #1357
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,639 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default Books

"DAYS OF DESTRUCTION DAYS OF REVOLT"

by Chris Hedges and Joe Sacco

Just came out finally...real direct intelligent truthful

"HOME"

by Toni Morrison

skimming seems redemptive story looking
forward to this read as well

and after the intensity of the previous books
diving into tender poetry

"SWAN POEMS AND PROSE POEMS"

BY Mary Oliver her latest

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #1358
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading the new book by Augusten Burroughs-- This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.

I'm not sure how I like it yet. I expected a spoof on self-help books (even the title suggests this), with his usual biting insight on the dark and quirky side of human behavior (mostly his own). He does this, but more often, he seems to be offering real advice. It's like he doesn't know which direction to go. Still, the writing is good, and besides, you never know when advice on "how to be a good mental patient" might come in handy.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #1359
ONLY

How Do You Identify?:
well my girl calls me honeybear, sugarbear, sexy beast, hot tamale.....
Preferred Pronoun?:
female pronouns
Relationship Status:
Married to my Rare Beauty with a Beautiful Soul.....SS

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,735 Times in 679 Posts
ONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST Reputation

Last night I started, "The Harlequin", the 15th book in the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton
I will be picking up "To The Nines" from the library this weekend, the 9th book in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

The series are very different from each other but I have really gotten into them since SS has introduce them to me. Anita Blake series, I think it has been 2 years since I first started and Stephanie Plum series, this past Christmas. Thank you baby

ONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ONLY For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #1360
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Let me know what you think when you finish it. I was so torn about this book, as the reviews I read were similar to what you wrote. I am such an intense fan of Burroughs that I wanted to read it but it doesn't sound like his usual style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JD View Post
I'm reading the new book by Augusten Burroughs-- This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.

I'm not sure how I like it yet. I expected a spoof on self-help books (even the title suggests this), with his usual biting insight on the dark and quirky side of human behavior (mostly his own). He does this, but more often, he seems to be offering real advice. It's like he doesn't know which direction to go. Still, the writing is good, and besides, you never know when advice on "how to be a good mental patient" might come in handy.
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading