The Butch Zone For all things "Butch"

Old 03-21-2014, 05:06 AM   #1
tiaras-and-books

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
in a relationship with someone wonderful. :)

tiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputation
Default Butches: how do you like to be treated on a date?

There's a thread asking femmes how we like to be treated on dates, but I didn't see one for the butches to chime in on how you like to be treated on dates. Inquiring minds want to know!

What makes a good date for you?
tiaras-and-books is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tiaras-and-books For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
ForeverMe

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Feminine ones please

ForeverMe Has the BEST ReputationForeverMe Has the BEST ReputationForeverMe Has the BEST ReputationForeverMe Has the BEST ReputationForeverMe Has the BEST ReputationForeverMe Has the BEST ReputationForeverMe Has the BEST ReputationForeverMe Has the BEST ReputationForeverMe Has the BEST ReputationForeverMe Has the BEST ReputationForeverMe Has the BEST Reputation

I am interested in hearing the responses on this. I am so glad that you asked.
ForeverMe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ForeverMe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
bokster

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Single

bokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputation

On a first date, I'd expect some jitters on my part when I pick up my date. EVEN if I tell myself to play it cool.

I would really appreciate it if you greet me with a warm smile to let me know that you're relaxed around me - that would help.

Or you can give me a naughty smile. I'd appreciate that, too.
bokster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bokster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
MysticOceansFL

How Do You Identify?:
Butch,
Preferred Pronoun?:
People call me by my nic name.
Relationship Status:
Not Single, Not Desperate.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,720 Posts
MysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST Reputation

I would have to say both parties on the first date shouldn't really be expecting anything from each other except polite and honesty.

It is said, " Some lives are linked across time.....

Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages "......
MysticOceansFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MysticOceansFL For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
Hey You

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single and waiting :)

Hey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST Reputation

I like to do the gentleman thing- opening doors and stuff. I like to pay, even though I'm not exactly rich. I feel uncomfortable if anyone who isn't a really good friend or well-established girlfriend pays for anything for me. But I enjoy paying on dates and stuff. So I like to do that.
Some physical contact. Just spending time and talking is nice, but it's not enough. I want to cuddle if we're in a cinema or sitting somewhere close together. Hold hands while walking or across the table. A kiss goodnight if it went well.
The whole dinner and stuff is nice but I also really like simple dates. A couple of the nicest dates I've ever been on we walked along the walkway by the river after dinner.

As for specifically how I like to be treated- As an equal but with an acknowledgement that I am at the butch end of the scale. Don't try to 'treat me like a lady', I want to do that for you and I will be annoyed and probably offended if you try it on me. I'm not going to mother you, but let me take care of you a bit. Let me pull my phone out for the purpose of showing you pictures of my animals and probably my motorbike. I love those things. Pull your phone out to show me pictures of the things or people you love the most. Have an intellectual conversation with me, challenge me mentally. Give me something to think about after the date. I will enjoy your presence more if you stimulate my mind as well as my body. Having said that, discussions about sex (although probably not the real thing on the first date) are welcome at any time. Lol. People with dirty minds are much more interesting than people with clean minds.

It's really late. Depending how this thread goes I may come and contribute again. But I hope this much helps
Hey You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 AM   #6
Hey You

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single and waiting :)

Hey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST ReputationHey You Has the BEST Reputation

Anyone else care to comment? This is actually a really interesting question.
Hey You is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hey You For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
Angeltoes

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Nunya

Thanked 5,525 Times in 1,386 Posts
Angeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST Reputation

Recently I had a butch tell me they felt like a 'loser' when I opened the door for them. I honestly wasn't trying to prove a point. I got to the door first, so I opened it and held it open. I'm totally out of practice and don't remember the 'rules' anymore. How do other butchers feel about the door thing?
Old 01-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #8
Chad
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Loved Caregiver

Thanked 20,326 Times in 5,678 Posts
Chad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeltoes View Post
Recently I had a butch tell me they felt like a 'loser' when I opened the door for them. I honestly wasn't trying to prove a point. I got to the door first, so I opened it and held it open. I'm totally out of practice and don't remember the 'rules' anymore. How do other butchers feel about the door thing?
If you opened the door for me I would think you were very sweet and we may even chuckle about it later.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chad For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #9
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

With some respect even if we don't agree on everything!
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2016, 09:15 PM   #10
Tuff Stuff

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,318 Times in 506 Posts
Tuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST Reputation
Default Personally

Quote:
I like to be the one to reach the door first and open it for her..i've always did that for women and I will do it for men also...its a habit of mine.*shrug*

I don't know why it is but I just don't like people opening doors for me.
Tuff Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuff Stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #11
Angeltoes

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Nunya

Angeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff Stuff View Post
I like to be the one to reach the door first and open it for her..i've always did that for women and I will do it for men also...its a habit of mine.*shrug*

I don't know why it is but I just don't like people opening doors for me.
I don't mind people opening doors for me, but it's definitely a habit for me to reach for it as well. I hold the door for men, women, and children.

There is another thing. Some guy was staring at us holding hands in a department store and the butch started to chuckle and stare him down. I mean, don't you think that's a dangerous thing to do? I don't feel like getting assaulted or worse because someone was staring at us.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #12
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
It would make me/has made me, uncomfortable, but I know that it shouldn't.

Quote:
I don't mind people opening doors for me, but it's definitely a habit for me to reach for it as well. I hold the door for men, women, and children.

There is another thing. Some guy was staring at us holding hands in a department store and the butch started to chuckle and stare him down. I mean, don't you think that's a dangerous thing to do? I don't feel like getting assaulted or worse because someone was staring at us.
I don't know exactly how the butch did it, but I would just smile at the guy as if I didn't notice he was staring...but he would also know on some level that I knew that he was staring and that I thought he was a douche. It is kind of hard to explain.

Was it dangerous? My experience as a butch over the last 25 years is that I am very good at quickly deducing if it is a safe situation to "stare back", or an unsafe situation. You were in a department store. More likely than not, the guy was not going to come at your butch, right? It is all situational what you can do and still be safe. NOW, if my partner did not feel safe if I gave back a big ole, "fuck you" kind of smile, then I would not do it, and just pretend like I didn't notice the guy. There are really a number of variables to the "butch response" to people looking at them with disgust/anger they are with a femme.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 03:23 AM   #13
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I was taught to open doors for everyone-- but that is because I was raised as a workingclass girl -- taught to serve everyone. When I am dating a Femme and open doors for her, that is just ONE of MANY ways to show her I see her, and want to please her. It's one of many ways, so I don't have to get to weird about that one piarticular action.

Regarding the incident in the store, I believe part of power dynamics is: Who gets to decide WHEN there is a power dynamic happening? I wouldn't choose to engage in a power struggle with some unstable fool in a store. I would ignore him (probably not even notice him.) i do think it could get dangerous to upset someone who is threatened by other Shoppers in a STORE. An unwell person like that needs professional help. I would also caution you, Angeltoes, how much reinforcement does this butch need, and are you willing/able to give it?

Remember that scene from Game Of Thrones, where Joffrey says "I am THE KING!" And his father the badass Lannister says "Anyone who really IS the king would NEVER feel they have to say that." That can be applied to butches, transmen (and performed masculinity by cis men) - if someone has to earnestly draw attention to all that they are trying to be, and all the ways they "prove" it, they arent really secure in whatever it is. That's unattractibve.
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #14
Tuff Stuff

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,318 Times in 506 Posts
Tuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST Reputation
Default People Stare

Quote:

If some guy stared at me & the wife like he wanted trouble..believe me,he found it.My stare is loooong and hard...actually,my wife is the dangerous one.
Tuff Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuff Stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #15
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

bumping this because I see so many femmes posting in theirs
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2016, 10:43 PM   #16
TL1

How Do You Identify?:
Butch of stone
Preferred Pronoun?:
The guy kind

Thanked 3,461 Times in 1,006 Posts
TL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
People are quick to get hung up on roles and how things should be. We all have our ideas... Even I do.
of course my natural instinct is to open a door for my date but it doesn't define who I am if someone opens the door for me. To each their own but I find it a bit petty when someone has a fit over such things.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:19 PM   #17
Angeltoes

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Nunya

True. I don't think a couple has to stick to their so-called roles to be romantic with each other.

This butch also likes to pull out my chair when we're going to eat and that's very sweet, but I think it may get old after awhile. Sometimes a girl just wants to pull out her own chair and sit down...
Old 01-12-2016, 06:17 AM   #18
NitroChrys_Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married

NitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I would be a gentleman and thank you. I am confident enough to let a woman open a door for Me. And even if I did feel annoyed about (not happening), I sure wouldn't tell her about it.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #19
NitroChrys_Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married

NitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST ReputationNitroChrys_Butch Has the BEST Reputation

Do you like being flirted with? Of course. It lets Me know she is into Me.
How much? I like My women classy.
How forward? If she decides that she needs to lace everything sexually or come on strong to get and keep My attention, she is wrong. Sometimes it is all in what she doesn't say that keeps My attention.
Do you prefer someone to go all out in their own way or do you prefer a girl that just is completely casual? I want her to be her. I don't want to wonder on a second date where that woman went. There was a reason I asked her on a date and if she feels like she has to "up her game" to keep Me interested, that never lasts for too long and then it jig is up. It also depends on the date. I will admit a first date might be a 4 star restaurant so I expect her to know how to behave there. OR it might be a picnic on the beach looking for sea glass. Bottom line: she should just be her. I wouldn't have asked her out if she was someone else.
Do you like to be asked out? I am confident enough to be flattered.
Do you like your arm being touched and leaning in or do you prefer to do all the work? I don't want to do all the "work" ... she should let Me know she is glad to be with Me. That calls for interaction and engaging Me in conversation and by her actions.
Do you like her to be agreeable or do you like her playful and sassy? Can I choose both?
How would she behave on a date that would pop your clogs? All depends on if I want My clogs popped. LOL. I have no idea what that means so I will need clarification.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:35 AM   #20
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
True. I don't think a couple has to stick to their so-called roles to be romantic with each other.

This butch also likes to pull out my chair when we're going to eat and that's very sweet, but I think it may get old after awhile. Sometimes a girl just wants to pull out her own chair and sit down...
Given the initial post about the holding of the door, it sounds like this butch may be old school. If so, that's a part of them and is likely not going to change. If you don't like it or can't deal with it, then you need to have that discussion with them.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: