Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
Open to healthy possibilities...

Thanked 1,628 Times in 393 Posts
Elijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST Reputation
Default What Was The Last Movie You Saw? Welcome Cinephiles.

We can start with that. But, also, please feel free to discuss anything movie related. Recommendations, criticisms, feedback, etc.

~Washington Irving
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elijah For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:

Elijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST Reputation

Alright, I'll go first. I watched Milk this afternoon and wondered why I waited this long to watch it. Great movie, very moving. We owe him a huge debt of gratitude for what he did for SF/The Castro and queers everywhere.

~Washington Irving
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijah For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Ms. Tabitha

How Do You Identify?:
Hey Lady
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Married ~ 4-1-13

Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,041 Posts
Ms. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST Reputation

T and I saw "Water for Elephants" at the Cannery.
His mother read the book before she saw the movie. She told me she thought they had left out so much and I should read the book.
T has downloaded the book onto the kindle for our reading enjoyment.

Ms. Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ms. Tabitha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
scootebaby
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
yes dear
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 6,737 Times in 1,777 Posts
scootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputation

my son and i went to see Fast Five on Friday...Last Friday we went to see Madeas Big Happy Family--the most hilarious thus far--i highly recommend it.. Jo and i watched the Lane Frost movie today "8 Seconds"

waiting for Bridesmaids,the new Pirates of Caribbean,and Harry Potter movies to come out
scootebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scootebaby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tabitha View Post
T and I saw "Water for Elephants" at the Cannery.
His mother read the book before she saw the movie. She told me she thought they had left out so much and I should read the book.
T has downloaded the book onto the kindle for our reading enjoyment.

I haven't heard of it. Was it good? What is it about?

~Washington Irving
Old 05-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Ms. Tabitha

How Do You Identify?:
Hey Lady
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Married ~ 4-1-13

Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,041 Posts
Ms. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahRene View Post

I haven't heard of it. Was it good? What is it about?

A veterinary student abandons his studies after his parents are killed and joins a traveling Depression-era circus as their vet. There are so many characters that make the movie interesting, except for Rosie. You fall in love with Rosie. She is the one elephant in the circus, a wise old beast that only understands Polish. She is smart enough to pull up the stake that holds her in place, stick her trunk into the big container of lemonade when no one is looking, then return with her stake and pound it back into the ground. The owner of the circus beats her and his wife throughout the movie yet,she does, in the end, gain her revenge. It's a love story. Good guy, gets pretty girl. Good guy grows old to tell his story. I loved it and after I read the book I will watch the movie, again.

Ms. Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ms. Tabitha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,368 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

On Netflix, a movie called Dangerous Beauty. It's not recent -- 1998. i liked it a lot. It's about a 16th century Venetian courtesan.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
T4Texas

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Ready to play again!

T4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahRene View Post
Alright, I'll go first. I watched Milk this afternoon and wondered why I waited this long to watch it. Great movie, very moving. We owe him a huge debt of gratitude for what he did for SF/The Castro and queers everywhere.

I have a copy of Milk I've never watched and think I will sit down with it this weekend. Lately, Ive been checking a lot of PBS things from the library and watching everything from Mary Pickford to JFK's presidency. I love biography/A&E/American Masters and likeminded productions.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
JakeTulane
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Mr. Prickly Porcupine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Butch - Hy, Hym, Hys
Relationship Status:
She has softened My quills

Thanked 5,264 Times in 2,732 Posts
JakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST Reputation
Default Gran Torino.

I purchased this movie today on a whim (it was also on sale).. normally, I do not purchase a movie until I have watched it and feel I will want to watch it again. I have read about the storyline.. so it seems interesting enough. I more than likely watch it tomorrow and will stop back and let everyone know what I think.

I scrolled back a bit and tried to see if anyone else has seen it and posted their thoughts. I did not find anything (although it is late, and I could have that eyes glazed over insomnia look).

Has anyone else seen it? your thoughts? Thank you in advance.
JakeTulane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JakeTulane For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,785 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation

I have watched Gran Turino. I liked it a lot. I watched it for two reasons. First, I like Clint Eastwood as a director and actor. Second, this movie was filmed in Michigan. Some have thought the storyline is indicative of Detroit, and it's really not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTulane View Post
I purchased this movie today on a whim (it was also on sale).. normally, I do not purchase a movie until I have watched it and feel I will want to watch it again. I have read about the storyline.. so it seems interesting enough. I more than likely watch it tomorrow and will stop back and let everyone know what I think.

I scrolled back a bit and tried to see if anyone else has seen it and posted their thoughts. I did not find anything (although it is late, and I could have that eyes glazed over insomnia look).

Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:

I have also watched it and really enjoyed it. But I am a huge Clint Eastwood fan, post gunslinger phase. I also found it an interesting aside that it was filmed in Michigan, as I live here.

Quote:

~Washington Irving
The Following User Says Thank You to Elijah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,785 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation
Default "It's expensive being gay."

I watched "I Love You, Phillip Morris" last night. Loved it.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
I'mOneToo

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
left of right
Relationship Status:
right of left

I'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST Reputation

I initially resisted watching it because from the trailers it seemed racist. But I was coaxed into it and told it wasn't really anti-Hmong. It being a Clint Eastwood product, I found the race issue treated with due sensitivity. Like most of his movies (even the westerns) it was really a love story -- love of humankind. I liked it. I own it now too, though I don't watch it unless I can pay full attention. There are always new subtle nuances that I didn't pick up before, it's always deeper and more interesting every time.

(dont know how to quote right half the time)

I'mOneToo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I'mOneToo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

It was a good movie and I enjoyed it. I think you'll like it.

ETA: Just read your after=post. See? I told you you'd like it!!

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2016, 10:38 PM   #15
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

The Jungle Book, though I fell half way through and missed the rest! Prior to that we saw The Boss and it was AWESOME!
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bright_arrow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2016, 02:55 AM   #16
CyberStud
Timed Out - Identity Issues

How Do You Identify?:
Stud_elicious
Relationship Status:
Married to the gym..it's true love <3

Thanked 1,232 Times in 334 Posts
CyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST Reputation
Default Triple 9

A film bursting at the seams with class A actors usually goes either way...really good or really bad! This one is a rare example of sitting on the fence of those two choices. Suffice to say I enjoy it, the acting was solid and characters believable but I was left wanting more from the plot which would of made me care a little more if these characters lived or died.
CyberStud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyberStud For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2016, 05:30 AM   #17
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,776 Times in 25,654 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I rented this last night. I thought it would be a good background movie while I did crafts and household chores, plus there's sushi and who doesn't love ?

I thought wrong because neither my crafts nor my chores got more than a minute's attention during the movie.

Though it was a bit slow in the beginning, I felt for the main character right away. She is struggling and I know that feeling. She's got grit and drive and the actress really embodied that. It's two thumbs up from me and a lot of other people too, as it's won many Indie awards.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #18
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,816 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation
Default All Things Must Pass

The documentary is the story of Tower Records, which was founded in 1960-1961 in Sacramento.

They evolved from 45's and albums to cassettes and then onto CD's.

In 1999, they had sales of over one billion dollars.

They expanded to international markets and overextended the business. Then Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc. started selling CD's.

When the digital revolution came, Tower jumped on it "not knowing it would lead to their own demise".

Then came Napster.

"How can you compete with free music?"

In 2004, they filed for bankruptcy.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #19
diamondrose

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,895 Times in 923 Posts
diamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputation

the last movie I watched was " The Girl "
diamondrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diamondrose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #20
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation
Default Serious butt kickin'!!!

The Mechanic

Tags
film, movie