Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation
Default How do you save money!

Saving money can be a challenge and I am always interested in how others put away for a rainy day. Here is what we are currently doing. What's your saving tips?

Red and I are always thinking of fun ways to save money. We are currently on the $5.00 savings plan which means every time we get a $5.00 bill in change we have to put it in our hiding place. We did this for 4 months before fall break in October and had an amazing $700.00 saved for our vacation.

Here is another one we decided to also start for our Christmas spending money for next year.

http://savingabuck.com/
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

One way I save a few pennies is to keep my eye on the discount meat bin at super one store so by doing this I have gotten lots of great bargains on steaks roast and other cuts,today I found some thick cut pork chops and a whole pork shoulder.The chops were marked down to $5.99 and the shoulder from $35.00 for $12.75 I will get plenty of pork roast after I cut it up.I also get the store brand as I have found it's not much diffrent from the major brands.As I only eat whole wheat bread I found at the dollar store they sell the same bread for a dollar I would normaly pay $3.50 for,I get ten loaves then freeze it so when it thaws to us it is just as good as it was when I bought it.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

I'm someone who is bad at saving money so i will definitely be reading this thread for ideas and tips

Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Jar

How Do You Identify?:
TG Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, da bomb...
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,340 Times in 534 Posts
Jar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST Reputation

I never spend change. I hate digging for it so I put it in a jar until it adds up and then I wrap the coins and put it in my savings. I also have an online savings account and every pay check I have an amount automatically transferred to it from my checking so I don't really see it. I do the same with my 401.

I also try to only buy food that's on sale. I make a list every Thursday and stick to it. Anything that's on sale I stock up on, divide up and freeze into individual portions.

I also have an excel spreadsheet with a 5 year budget but so I can see times that I might run short on cash

Ok now that's just crazy

No matter what life brings you, always learn a lesson from your dog ... kick some grass over that shit and move on
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,565 Times in 3,960 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

little things add up. I learned to make open faced PBJ sammiches. I turned off lites when I wasnt in a room. I reused plastic bags until I could afford to buy the plastic sammich keeper.

Some of it is to stop compulsive buying or buying into compulsive shopping gimmicks. such as

I dont supersize my meals. That helps with the diet too. In fact, when i can, I split a meal with someone. If we are still hungry, we can order dessert! Now thats nice!

I turn down offers of home demo parties. Or if they insist I go, I leave all my money, cards and check books at home and tell them I am going to do this. Thirty One bags are such a grossly overrated group of bags. I dont want to offend anyone but really? Fifty bucks for a bag that I can get in the dollar store for $5? Tupperware is another money eater. Nice product, hefty price. And then you see them at garage sales for a quarter in about 5 years..with no lids

I buy used everything. Clothes to furniture. I consign also, to other stores. It GIVES me money. Not alot but $5 is $5.

I make a list of all the things I wish i had, when I need them. If I end up not getting them before summer, I take that list with me and give it to some friends, for garage sale hunting.

I buy after holiday sales. LOTS of Christmaswares. Cards, paper, tags, stockings, trees, bulbs, etc. I can consign some of these too!

I go to cheap movies or not at all. If its a MUST SEE, I will go to a matinee.

There is just Chrissy and I...so buying bulk foods is a waste...but we have found some items we can buy in bulk and split w friends of ours. Like dog food. Cereal. Toilet paper.

I no longer buy most magazines. If I need to read one, I go to the library. Or I ask freecyclers to give me theirs when they are done with them. A few I have to buy because of my trade or because its important to me. But most I can live without

I use freecycle..its a group on yahoo and there is one for every area. The purpose is to recycle and reuse rather than throw it in a landfill. I have gotten furniture, clothes, books, magazines, purses, planting containers, urban rubble, tents, car parts, etc

There are also Buy Sale Trade groups on FB and Hand ME Down groups on FB. I watch carefully...I can get some pretty good buys on there. Most of my Christmas presents have come off of there

I mention consigning...if you do it all year and dont collect your money from the sales, you can pick it up for a lump sum. PLEASE tell the shop owner you want to do this, because you might catch her off guard and not have the funds at hand Its a nice way to plan ahead for a holiday, a graduation, a vacation, etc
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
One way I save a few pennies is to keep my eye on the discount meat bin at super one store so by doing this I have gotten lots of great bargains on steaks roast and other cuts,today I found some thick cut pork chops and a whole pork shoulder.The chops were marked down to $5.99 and the shoulder from $35.00 for $12.75 I will get plenty of pork roast after I cut it up.I also get the store brand as I have found it's not much diffrent from the major brands.As I only eat whole wheat bread I found at the dollar store they sell the same bread for a dollar I would normaly pay $3.50 for,I get ten loaves then freeze it so when it thaws to us it is just as good as it was when I bought it.
We hit the reduced meat sales every week! It is a great way to save!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 7,641 Times in 1,657 Posts
VintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST Reputation

LoLoLoL !!!

Saving money? Whaaaaaaaaaat? What is this madness???
Old 11-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,310 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

Staying away from Home Depot and Lowes helps a great deal.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I use to have a bad habit of see it, buy it cause I just wanted it,I finealy stopped doing that by thinking do I really need it or do I just want it.So now I save for the things I would like to have then watch for it to come on sale somewhere or get a diffrent brand that is the same in doablity for a lot less.I also have a change jar because I really hate to haul change around so in the jar it goes till it's filled then I pour it all into a one gallon plastic jar till it's full I have several jars so it's an on going process.Also as I use to ride a lot I often pick up used saddles hear and there for a refit project so when it's finished I put an add in the livestock journal then sell it for way more than I paid for it.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
Mopsie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female ones
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Thanked 8,588 Times in 1,857 Posts
Mopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
Saving money can be a challenge and I am always interested in how others put away for a rainy day. Here is what we are currently doing. What's your saving tips?

Red and I are always thinking of fun ways to save money. We are currently on the $5.00 savings plan which means every time we get a $5.00 bill in change we have to put it in our hiding place. We did this for 4 months before fall break in October and had an amazing $700.00 saved for our vacation.

Here is another one we decided to also start for our Christmas spending money for next year.

http://savingabuck.com/

1. Great thread

2. I like this five dollar bill saving idea I'm going to try it!

3. For me saving is about budgeting ahead of time. For example, I do my best to never spend more than $2 per meal. So I take advantage of sales and only enjoy certain foods when they're on sale.

4. I also saved my change.
Mopsie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mopsie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #11
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I collect loose change and it goes into a giant glass pickle jar. When full, it goes to my bank and they ship it off to be counted and deposited into whatever account I want.

I have it set up with my bank so any debit from my account that is has change attached ($11.41 for example) would deposit the rounded up change into my savings (in that example, $.59 would go into my savings account).

I have a 401K.

I keep an eye on sales and try to get stuff that's a better deal.

We buy real food to make meals out of and try to limit the junk that's so easy to pick up on the road. That stuff adds up really quick!

Some of my furniture is a bit worse for wear and we're fixing it up instead of purchasing new.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar View Post
I never spend change. I hate digging for it so I put it in a jar until it adds up and then I wrap the coins and put it in my savings. I also have an online savings account and every pay check I have an amount automatically transferred to it from my checking so I don't really see it. I do the same with my 401.

I also try to only buy food that's on sale. I make a list every Thursday and stick to it. Anything that's on sale I stock up on, divide up and freeze into individual portions.

I also have an excel spreadsheet with a 5 year budget but so I can see times that I might run short on cash

Ok now that's just crazy
Jar your 5 Yr budget planned out is awesome. It is much easier to plan when you know where you are.

Red and I are not brand specific when it comes to a lot of different foods, so we will use coupons on top of sale items to purchase items for less.

I recently downloaded Ibotta and just yesterday alone I collected an additional $6.50on items they had listed that we bought and the money was deposited into my pay pal account before I even got home.

The stores on Ibotta have the exact same offers so you do not have to drive across town to purchase an item. All of our stores on our list are pretty much with in a 3 -4 mile radius so we do take advantage of a sale item that is at our Homeland grocery store because they have double coupons up to $1.00. There have been many items for the holiday meals that we ended up paying pennies compared to the normal price and they are on my ibotta.

I have all of my store reward cards on an app called keyring making it so easy to use them all.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Jar

How Do You Identify?:
TG Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, da bomb...
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,340 Times in 534 Posts
Jar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
Jar your 5 Yr budget planned out is awesome. It is much easier to plan when you know where you are.

The stores on Ibotta have the exact same offers so you do not have to drive across town to purchase an item.

I have all of my store reward cards on an app called keyring making it so easy to use them all.
I've budgeted this way by hand even before excel. I wouldn't know how to manage money without this plan

I'll have to check out Ibotta and keyring. Haven't heard of those two.

No matter what life brings you, always learn a lesson from your dog ... kick some grass over that shit and move on
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

because I SUCK at daily budgeting.

I kick ass when it comes to retirement savings and larger vision savings (paying towards my mortgage every week instead of once a month to pay it off faster), but the daily stuff, I just don't...well, just don't do it.

I have some weird things, like I always get water with any meal out, will NEVER EVER under any conditions get "delivery", I buy generic/no name brand items in most cases, but the daily, "I always bring my lunch to work" type stuff I don't do.

I will eagerly read this thread for ideas from you all. I know the first step is more awareness as to what I spend/what I spend my money on, but I avoid this first step (so that I don't have to change my behavior).

This is another thread those here may enjoy: http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...ead.php?t=5819

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFemme View Post
LoLoLoL !!!

Saving money? Whaaaaaaaaaat? What is this madness???
It is a madness you are welcome to sit back and enjoy the ride!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Staying away from Home Depot and Lowes helps a great deal.
We actually take advantage of Lowes deals. Bought our washer and dryer set and dishwasher this year at 0%. Paid them all off early!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #17
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
I collect loose change and it goes into a giant glass pickle jar. When full, it goes to my bank and they ship it off to be counted and deposited into whatever account I want.

I have it set up with my bank so any debit from my account that is has change attached ($11.41 for example) would deposit the rounded up change into my savings (in that example, $.59 would go into my savings account).

I have a 401K.

I keep an eye on sales and try to get stuff that's a better deal.

We buy real food to make meals out of and try to limit the junk that's so easy to pick up on the road. That stuff adds up really quick!

Some of my furniture is a bit worse for wear and we're fixing it up instead of purchasing new.
We needed to replace our theatre seating and spent an entire weekend sitting in every chair we thought we might like! As always the ones we liked we could not justify the cost! One Sunday we were shopping at Big Lots and found a love seat on sale with an additional rewards member discount and walked out with a new leather loves seat for $253.00 bucks! We love it, it fits our needs and saved us big bucks! Red and I have learned not to buy on emotion and that has saved us a lot of money!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #18
Bad_boi

How Do You Identify?:
Transman (male)
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His ect.
Relationship Status:
Handsome bastard.

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,824 Times in 499 Posts
Bad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST Reputation

I punch people and take their lunch money and keep it in a jar.
Bad_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad_boi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #19
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,473 Times in 10,186 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

Oh, I have apps to all my fav stores, so I will always have a coupon.

Now, where do I go, what do I do, to save time?

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #20
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueswtfemm View Post
Oh, I have apps to all my fav stores, so I will always have a coupon.

Now, where do I go, what do I do, to save time?

We save time by having everything thing we need monthly set up on Amazon. I have not shopped for any paper products in over a year. I make sure to check my subscribe and save items the week before the cut off. If any prices have raised to much then I switch the brand. I have only had to do this a couple of times. Amazon has always been spot on with my items and if anything has arrived damaged they replace it without having to return the damaged item at no charge. Now if I could get the drone delivery they showed on 60minutes that would be awesome. We also stock up on non perishable items which saves us time having to shop.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post: