Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #21
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandScout View Post
Sun, that's a great idea, so use social media to find homes for the cats.

In New York there are cat rescue organizations and they raise money for catch-neuter-release programs, and other stuff. I'm not really up on what they do except in a general way—the point is, maybe there is something like that where you live, Wolfy?

I talked about my sister doing foster work with dogs but she has a whole network of people behind her who raise money and take turns hosting the dogs, and so on. There has to be something in your state, Wolfy! At least I hope so.
Hiya Scout,

I am actually from NY and recall seeing several groups posting about catch/release programs. You can never have too many of them. The volunteers who work well with social media place many animals so this really is a process that works. Some of the rescue groups are really good at getting a chip-in going on Facebook and even if people pledge $5 it all adds up quickly. It is always good to learn from the people who are having success at placing animals.

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
Petfinder . com is a good site imo
Thank you I had forgotten about them

― Rumi

The Following User Says Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #23
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

I used to always take coworkers unwanted animals, keep them for a while and find them homes. I guess that is considered "fostering". I miss it, and I miss the excitement in finding them a new family. It was hard to let them go, but I knew I couldn't keep them.

I always have wanted to start a deaf animal rescue. My deaf dog is the biggest blessing in my life, and they are some of the most misunderstood animals. I have a house in a residential area, so I know I can't do it at present time, but hopefully in the future at some point.

Justin and I have also been talking about adding a 3rd dog to our tribe. I have always wanted to adopt a deaf-blind dog, and found a few that we are interested in. Of course, they are on the other side of the country which makes transporting difficult (road trip!) one rescue has a brother/sister pair of double dapple dashshunds. One is deaf-blind and the other is blind. I emailed them and they want to place them with us, but I am hesitant in taking both together and having 4 dogs and a ferret (who is sick and is taking all of my attention at the moment). I don't want to separate them, so it is probably not a good fit anyways. If the right one crosses our path, it will be meant to be.

Anyways, kudos to all the rescuers/foster parents. That is a tough job

Smiles

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #24
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation
Default Had to post this here

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #25
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

So things are a mess out there with 50 animals per day being killed in shelters in Dallas/FW area and NYC + 5 boroughs is a mess as well. No ideas on the #. So many animals on death row that need out of Animal Control I am avoiding my Facebook news feed it is that overwhelming.

Then I come across this story and wonder...what is this nation coming to?

This was a baby bear!

Bear Killed in Mountain Air, NC, Angers Activists

― Rumi

Old 11-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #26
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyes View Post
I used to always take coworkers unwanted animals, keep them for a while and find them homes. I guess that is considered "fostering". I miss it, and I miss the excitement in finding them a new family. It was hard to let them go, but I knew I couldn't keep them.

I always have wanted to start a deaf animal rescue. My deaf dog is the biggest blessing in my life, and they are some of the most misunderstood animals. I have a house in a residential area, so I know I can't do it at present time, but hopefully in the future at some point.

Justin and I have also been talking about adding a 3rd dog to our tribe. I have always wanted to adopt a deaf-blind dog, and found a few that we are interested in. Of course, they are on the other side of the country which makes transporting difficult (road trip!) one rescue has a brother/sister pair of double dapple dashshunds. One is deaf-blind and the other is blind. I emailed them and they want to place them with us, but I am hesitant in taking both together and having 4 dogs and a ferret (who is sick and is taking all of my attention at the moment). I don't want to separate them, so it is probably not a good fit anyways. If the right one crosses our path, it will be meant to be.

Anyways, kudos to all the rescuers/foster parents. That is a tough job

Smiles

Good for you for being so willing to take on a pet that is going to have a hard time getting adopted. Awesome.

I will keep my eyes open for one who is blind and deaf.

So glad that I saw this post, I needed some good news today!

― Rumi

Old 11-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #27
Luv

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 1,216 Times in 366 Posts
Luv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST Reputation

I am currently living with an elderly friend of the family who is basically becoming an animal horder... today animal control was here and she has to find home's for 4 chihuahua puppies and a mama dog,,the shelters are full and no one is taking in animals from surrenders but they are picking up animals and because of the over population are putting down alot of animals .. its a shame that people dont get their dogs fixed and lil pups suffer the consequences
Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luv For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #28
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv View Post
I am currently living with an elderly friend of the family who is basically becoming an animal horder... today animal control was here and she has to find home's for 4 chihuahua puppies and a mama dog,,the shelters are full and no one is taking in animals from surrenders but they are picking up animals and because of the over population are putting down alot of animals .. its a shame that people dont get their dogs fixed and lil pups suffer the consequences

Luv, if you are on Facebook, contact Pet Pardons right away. They can usually help. Also there are a ton of rescue groups in your area and some are specific to Chihuahua's.

Also your friend may be able to get a "pass" from the county and be allowed to keep the animals if no one is an any harm due to the Momma and 4 puppies. Especially since she is a Sr Citizen, the law sometimes bends in special circumstances.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

― Rumi

Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #29
Luv

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

Luv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST Reputation

Sun she has wayyyy to many animals...not just 4 but 4 times over and they have been called on her before..I have contacted several organizations on Facebook already and hope to hear something
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luv For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #30
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv View Post
Sun she has wayyyy to many animals...not just 4 but 4 times over and they have been called on her before..I have contacted several organizations on Facebook already and hope to hear something
Do you have pics of the animals that are up for adoption? I can PM you my email and you can send them to me. I will network around for you.

― Rumi

Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #31
Luv

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

yup sure do..there are 5 all together but she could stand to get rid of triple that amount..pm me your e-mail
The Following User Says Thank You to Luv For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #32
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,720 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

I was looking in New york on the 311 site and found that these pets are illegal to have in New York:

The City accepts reports of people selling or keeping wild or illegal animals and issues violations when appropriate. By law, wild or illegal animals may not be sold or kept as pets.

The following animals may not be kept as pets:

Wolf, fox, coyote, hyena, dingo, jackal, other undomesticated dogs
Lion, tiger, leopard, jaguar, puma, panther, mountain lion, cheetah, cougar, bobcat, lynx, other undomesticated cats
Ferret, weasel, mink, badger, wolverine, skunk, mongoose
Squirrel, raccoon, bat
Bear, elephant, zebra, rhinoceros, giraffe, hippopotamus
Tarantula, black widow, other venomous spiders
Iguana, gila monster, many other lizards
Monkey, ape, chimpanzee, gorilla
Viper, cobra, python, anaconda, many other snakes
Alligator, crocodile, snapping turtle, other turtles less than 4 inches in length
Eagle, hawk, falcon, owl, vulture, emu, ostrich, other large or predatory birds
Rooster, duck, goose, turkey
Bee (other than a honeybee), hornet, wasp, other venomous insects
Gopher, woodchuck, beaver, hedgehog, porcupine, other large rodents
Deer, antelope, llama, camel
Sheep, goat, pigs, and most farm animals
Kangaroo, opossum, koala, other marsupials
Dolphin, whale, seal, sea lion, walrus, other sea mammals
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #33
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,579 Times in 2,649 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

illegal in all states
ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #34
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
I was looking in New york on the 311 site and found that these pets are illegal to have in New York:

The City accepts reports of people selling or keeping wild or illegal animals and issues violations when appropriate. By law, wild or illegal animals may not be sold or kept as pets.

The following animals may not be kept as pets:

Wolf, fox, coyote, hyena, dingo, jackal, other undomesticated dogs
Lion, tiger, leopard, jaguar, puma, panther, mountain lion, cheetah, cougar, bobcat, lynx, other undomesticated cats
Ferret, weasel, mink, badger, wolverine, skunk, mongoose
Squirrel, raccoon, bat
Bear, elephant, zebra, rhinoceros, giraffe, hippopotamus
Tarantula, black widow, other venomous spiders
Iguana, gila monster, many other lizards
Monkey, ape, chimpanzee, gorilla
Viper, cobra, python, anaconda, many other snakes
Alligator, crocodile, snapping turtle, other turtles less than 4 inches in length
Eagle, hawk, falcon, owl, vulture, emu, ostrich, other large or predatory birds
Rooster, duck, goose, turkey
Bee (other than a honeybee), hornet, wasp, other venomous insects
Gopher, woodchuck, beaver, hedgehog, porcupine, other large rodents
Deer, antelope, llama, camel
Sheep, goat, pigs, and most farm animals
Kangaroo, opossum, koala, other marsupials
Dolphin, whale, seal, sea lion, walrus, other sea mammals

Iguanas? Really? They're the ubiquitous middle-school science class animal. I personally know of at least one kid whose teacher has one at school.

And zebras—that's funny. Some guy has a zebra and a white pony out in Coney Island, I think? Anyway they got loose and were running all over the city and some guy got it on his cell phone and it was all over the news.

And snakes? I thought only the poisonous ones were banned.

Live and learn!
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #35
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Just want to post a shout out to anyone who knows anyone who does foster care for cats and dogs. Can you please refer them to Pet Pardons on Facebook. There are so many pets that need foster to get off of death row.
This epidemic is so out of control it is heart breaking.

Thank you

― Rumi

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #36
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

The ASPCA has set up shelters in NYC to help with overload of cats and dogs from hurricane Sandy. The shelters will close on Dec 17th, and there will be a flood of pets that need foster and adoption.

Now is a good time to mobilize rescue help to the NYC area. If you are in contact with a rescue from another state please consider taking some of these animals and helping NYC out.

Post here if you can help and I will put you in contact with rescue volunteers in NYC.

Thank you

― Rumi

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #37
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Hey Friends,

I have not posted in here in a while but wanted to update on a few things.

1. New York Animal Rights Alliance has been working hard to lobby for change to the quick kill Animal Control & Care (such a bad name for a slaughterhouse) agency because change needs to happen. Hold times are too short and they do not work well with rescues nor do they invest time in adoptable pets that with a little more time could have homes. The list of complaints goes on and on. Its an awful place. This group is also lobbying for 2 more shelters, one in Queens and I believe one in Staten Island. These communities are very much under served and in need.

Anyway, check them out if you are in the area and please network these people they are really good ones.

NY Animal Rights Alliance

2. This is not news to some of you but there is a new book out called [ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/0939165562/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk"]"Food Pets Die For: Shocking Facts About Pet Food" [/ame]I am including the link but let me say in advance that there is a lot out there on this subject now, apparently dogs and cats are being rendered for pet food. It is a disgusting subject and very upsetting, so please use caution before clicking on any link on the subject. The industry clearly needs reform. Makes sense now why so many pets fail to thrive and even become very sick from commercial grade pet food. So much of it is toxic poison.

This leads me to an idea. For those of you who are making pet food, would you kindly post recipes? I think that more and more people are going to want to make pet food in the future.

Thank you!

Be well.

― Rumi

Old 01-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #38
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks for this!! I have considered putting my dogs on a natural diet because of the horror stories I have heard about pet food as well. I need to look more into this, and come up with a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
Hey Friends,

I have not posted in here in a while but wanted to update on a few things.

1. New York Animal Rights Alliance has been working hard to lobby for change to the quick kill Animal Control & Care (such a bad name for a slaughterhouse) agency because change needs to happen. Hold times are too short and they do not work well with rescues nor do they invest time in adoptable pets that with a little more time could have homes. The list of complaints goes on and on. Its an awful place. This group is also lobbying for 2 more shelters, one in Queens and I believe one in Staten Island. These communities are very much under served and in need.

Anyway, check them out if you are in the area and please network these people they are really good ones.

NY Animal Rights Alliance

2. This is not news to some of you but there is a new book out called "Food Pets Die For: Shocking Facts About Pet Food" I am including the link but let me say in advance that there is a lot out there on this subject now, apparently dogs and cats are being rendered for pet food. It is a disgusting subject and very upsetting, so please use caution before clicking on any link on the subject. The industry clearly needs reform. Makes sense now why so many pets fail to thrive and even become very sick from commercial grade pet food. So much of it is toxic poison.

This leads me to an idea. For those of you who are making pet food, would you kindly post recipes? I think that more and more people are going to want to make pet food in the future.

Thank you!

Be well.

Starry
The Following User Says Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #39
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyes View Post
Thanks for this!! I have considered putting my dogs on a natural diet because of the horror stories I have heard about pet food as well. I need to look more into this, and come up with a plan.
You are welcome. Dr Pitcairn has a few great books about natural health for dogs and cats. I made my dogs food based on one of his recipes for years. It requires time and planning but the dogs thrive on it. Especially if you can do raw protein. That would be the most natural diet.

Whatever I find I will post back here because I am going to be doing some research and some friends who are furious over this topic will be doing some research too. It is very sad that we can not trust the pet food industry but I have had good luck with Wellness, EVO and Blue Buffalo brands. Hopefully none of them are using rendered euthanized pets because I will freak the hell out. Seriously.

― Rumi

Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #40
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Ok, I'll check it out!! Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
You are welcome. Dr Pitcairn has a few great books about natural health for dogs and cats. I made my dogs food based on one of his recipes for years. It requires time and planning but the dogs thrive on it. Especially if you can do raw protein. That would be the most natural diet.

Whatever I find I will post back here because I am going to be doing some research and some friends who are furious over this topic will be doing some research too. It is very sad that we can not trust the pet food industry but I have had good luck with Wellness, EVO and Blue Buffalo brands. Hopefully none of them are using rendered euthanized pets because I will freak the hell out. Seriously.

Starry

Tags
cat, dog, pets, rescue