How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation
Default hey

I'm Irish!!!!!!!!! And Scottish.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #22
StillettoDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 3,879 Times in 1,484 Posts
StillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST Reputation

I'm not Irish. but Blaze is half Irish. , we like going to the celtic festival here in Houston . I love everything Irish especially the music and dancing stuff. . .. The festival only serves lemonade , tea and whiskey.. seriously.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #23
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillettoDoll View Post
I'm not Irish. but Blaze is half Irish. , we like going to the celtic festival here in Houston . I love everything Irish especially the music and dancing stuff. . .. The festival only serves lemonade , tea and whiskey.. seriously.
Usually, the options are just whiskey and tea at these sort of events. The presence of lemonade is a sign of debauchery and creeping liberalisation .....

I'm next back home to the island this weekend and very much looking forward to it.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #24
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm adopted, but I found out my heritage is Scot/Irish.....my adoptive family is Welsh....I know.

Maybe I said this already......

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:13 AM   #25
chrisbutch

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Relationship Status:
single

chrisbutch Has the BEST Reputationchrisbutch Has the BEST Reputationchrisbutch Has the BEST Reputationchrisbutch Has the BEST Reputationchrisbutch Has the BEST Reputationchrisbutch Has the BEST Reputationchrisbutch Has the BEST Reputationchrisbutch Has the BEST Reputationchrisbutch Has the BEST Reputationchrisbutch Has the BEST Reputationchrisbutch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
I'm adopted, but I found out my heritage is Scot/Irish.....my adoptive family is Welsh....I know.

Maybe I said this already......

I just knew it!!!!! Well you will have to come over and search for your Irish roots!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #26
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

I am Scots/Irish on my poppas side of the family. We are from the MacKay Clan.
My Moms fathers people where from Spain.

I hope to travel to Scotland and Ireland one day.
Cowboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:16 AM   #27
cheekyali

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Happily single

cheekyali Has the BEST Reputationcheekyali Has the BEST Reputationcheekyali Has the BEST Reputationcheekyali Has the BEST Reputationcheekyali Has the BEST Reputationcheekyali Has the BEST Reputationcheekyali Has the BEST Reputationcheekyali Has the BEST Reputationcheekyali Has the BEST Reputationcheekyali Has the BEST Reputationcheekyali Has the BEST Reputation

Nice to see a few more Irish people in here!

*claps hands excitedly*
cheekyali is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheekyali For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #28
Sky_femme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, girly girl, babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single and looking

Sky_femme Has the BEST ReputationSky_femme Has the BEST ReputationSky_femme Has the BEST ReputationSky_femme Has the BEST ReputationSky_femme Has the BEST ReputationSky_femme Has the BEST ReputationSky_femme Has the BEST ReputationSky_femme Has the BEST ReputationSky_femme Has the BEST ReputationSky_femme Has the BEST ReputationSky_femme Has the BEST Reputation

I've been to Dublin a month ago and absolutely loved it!!! Will definitely come back again.
My gf is a plastic paddy
Sky_femme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #29
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,115 Times in 2,999 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Curly headed pale skinned Irish femme checking in!
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #30
GraffitiBoi

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male ones
Relationship Status:
Playing around and having fun

Thanked 3,663 Times in 824 Posts
GraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingfemme View Post
Curly headed pale skinned Irish femme checking in!
100% Irish guy here... Although there have been some rumors that there may be some Norwegian lurking in my genes.
GraffitiBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #31
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,115 Times in 2,999 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraffitiBoi View Post
100% Irish guy here... Although there have been some rumors that there may be some Norwegian lurking in my genes.
I'm not a purist- have some German and Native American (Mohawk) blood. Interesting blend in my family...
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #32
thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 4

Thanked 11,662 Times in 2,292 Posts
thedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

<--- O'Sharry clan here.

My grandmother traveled back to the Old Country to trace our ancestry. Turns out we are descended from Celts.

I'm mixed with a bit of German and English since my family has been in America since the 17th century.
thedivahrrrself is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #33
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,973 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Thumbs up yup...

o'donoghue clan. i'ma 4th generation irish boi. (me great grandfather migrated to new york from county kerry)

i've got a fair bit o' lumbee indian in me as well. ('splains a lot!)

ni ceart go cur le cheile
Old 06-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #34
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Thanked 12,786 Times in 2,431 Posts
Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

my wife is beautiful Irish lass married to a very German Danish boi
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #35
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Those who have passed by this thread recently to advise that they are Irish or part-Irish .............

I'm interested to learn more and understand what you mean by being Irish. In other words, the sense of Irishness you have seems to be inter-generational and may not be related to an actual link to Ireland nor may you have lived in Ireland or even visited there.

So what is it? What makes you Irish?

ps - not a deliberately provocative post but specific to, for me, the Irish dysphoria question.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #36
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,247 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

If it's in the U.K., I have it (plus a fraction of Bavarian German). My grandmother was Scottish, born on the Mull of Kintyre that McCartney sang of. Of the counties in Northern Ireland, the only one I haven't found any definite ancestry in is Fermanagh. However, for some ancestors, the birthplace on the census or other records is only "Ireland", which is too vague. I know it's North, but not where. At the other extreme is "Bleachgreen, Londonderry", which is a pretty definite location!

As for what makes me Irish-I haven't been there, true. We're talking pretty far back, too: all the Irish in my family emigrated during the first big wave of the mid-1700's, a century before the potato famine. Many of my family pretty hastily beat it to Canada after the Revolution, and my parents were the first generation born in America. That's a long way of saying that going by length of time in a location and recent ancestry, I should have stronger ties to Canada than my own country or Ireland.

I know this sounds very woo-woo, but listening to "real" Irish music (not the Americanized forms) or just seeing pictures stirs some kind of ancestral pull or voice. It's a sense of something familiar. I think my father (of Scottish mother and Irish father) also felt that pull. He would sing of the mountains of Mourne to me with such emotion, atypical for him. He got to go back to Scotland but not to Northern Ireland for obvious reasons, so I will go.

Sorry for length, and I hope that's what you were asking for .
Old 06-30-2013, 02:44 AM   #37
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gráinne View Post
If it's in the U.K., I have it (plus a fraction of Bavarian German). My grandmother was Scottish, born on the Mull of Kintyre that McCartney sang of. Of the counties in Northern Ireland, the only one I haven't found any definite ancestry in is Fermanagh. However, for some ancestors, the birthplace on the census or other records is only "Ireland", which is too vague. I know it's North, but not where. At the other extreme is "Bleachgreen, Londonderry", which is a pretty definite location!

A large number of paper records were destroyed in fire during the Irish civil war in the early 1920s which can make tracing family heritage particularly challenging.

Interesting re lineage to Northern Irish counties excluding Fermanagh. The eyes of the world were on Fermanagh two weeks ago as it hosted the G8 summit - something that would have been unimaginable even a few years ago. We also had Obama visit Belfast on that trip and speak to a large audience of schoolchildren at our Waterfront Hall. For right or wrong, Northern Ireland has become something of a 21st century model for conflict resolution.

I often wonder what I would think of Ireland if I wasn't Irish and lived in the States as there are Irish stereotypes there, both good and bad, that don't mirror reality. I remember visiting San Francisco in March 2007 and walking the streets on St Patrick's Day. The amount of garish green outfits and leprechauns was enough to have me running to the nearest bar (not that I usually need much excuse anyway).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #38
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,247 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post

I often wonder what I would think of Ireland if I wasn't Irish and lived in the States as there are Irish stereotypes there, both good and bad, that don't mirror reality. I remember visiting San Francisco in March 2007 and walking the streets on St Patrick's Day. The amount of garish green outfits and leprechauns was enough to have me running to the nearest bar (not that I usually need much excuse anyway).
I've wondered the same, if I wasn't American and lived somewhere outside the USA/Canada. I suspect many of the stereotypes and images of "America" wouldn't be very flattering. There are Americans who magically become Canadians when overseas.

Thank Walt Disney for the little men in green suits and hats speaking in what is supposed to be a soft brogue. That was my idea of all Irish accents-wrong again . Somehow they got glommed onto St.Patrick's Day and became a mascot for a popular children's cereal.

I'm not interested in Ireland as shown through Hollywood, cheesy greeting cards every March, or green beer. To the best of my ability, I want to understand this land and its people from whom I descend, both the tragedy and the good.

(Obama has Irish ancestry, from Moneygall).