Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 11-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,993 Times in 2,596 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation
Default Anxiety

I was listening to a podcast called The Experts Speak from the Florida Psychiatric Society, and while looking for a good place to post it, I couldn't find a thread general enough to address anxiety regardless of specific diagnosis.

The podcast I was listening to was "when anxiety turns into depression" which was put out July 2011 (and can be listened to from the above link.)

A few years back I began researching PTSD and read that a difficult-to-medicate depression can develop as a symptom. This fit in well with the phases in my life which have triggered severe depression. It also fits the patterns I've seen my father to through throughout my life. He will be fine, then he seems to hit a wall of anxiety and then he just shuts down for long periods of time.

Elsewhere I have read that regardless of the underlying diagnosis, anxiety disorders are often treated with the same or similar methods. I am not an expert, but I thought it might be good to have a general thread for those of us with anxiety symptoms to share experience and knowledge. This podcast mentioned anxiety was the most common psychiatric issue in women and the second most common issue among men - just after substance abuse.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

According to the NIMH, the five major types of anxiety disorders are:

Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) - Generalized Anxiety Disorder, GAD, is an anxiety disorder characterized by chronic anxiety, exaggerated worry and tension, even when there is little or nothing to provoke it. People with generalized anxiety disorder can't seem to shake their concerns. Their worries are accompanied by physical symptoms, especially fatigue, headaches, muscle tension, muscle aches, difficulty swallowing, trembling, twitching, irritability, sweating, and hot flashes.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, OCD, is an anxiety disorder and is characterized by recurrent, unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and/or repetitive behaviors (compulsions). Repetitive behaviors such as handwashing, counting, checking, or cleaning are often performed with the hope of preventing obsessive thoughts or making them go away. Performing these so-called "rituals," however, provides only temporary relief, and not performing them markedly increases anxiety. People with OCD may be plagued by persistent, unwelcome thoughts or images, or by the urgent need to engage in certain rituals. They may be obsessed with germs or dirt, and wash their hands over and over. They may be filled with doubt and feel the need to check things repeatedly.

Panic Disorder - Panic disorder is an anxiety disorder and is characterized by unexpected and repeated episodes of intense fear accompanied by physical symptoms that may include chest pain, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, dizziness, or abdominal distress. People with panic disorder have feelings of terror that strike suddenly and repeatedly with no warning. During a panic attack, most likely your heart will pound and you may feel sweaty, weak, faint, or dizzy. Your hands may tingle or feel numb, and you might feel flushed or chilled. You may have nausea, chest pain or smothering sensations, a sense of unreality, or fear of impending doom or loss of control.

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) - PTSD is an anxiety disorder that some people get after seeing or living through a dangerous event. When in danger, it’s natural to feel afraid. This fear triggers many split-second changes in the body to prepare to defend against the danger or to avoid it. This “fight-or-flight” response is a healthy reaction meant to protect a person from harm. But in PTSD, this reaction is changed or damaged. People who have PTSD may feel stressed or frightened even when they’re no longer in danger.

PTSD can cause many symptoms. These symptoms can be grouped into three categories:

1. Re-experiencing symptoms:

Flashbacks—reliving the trauma over and over, including physical symptoms like a racing heart or sweating
Bad dreams
Frightening thoughts.
Re-experiencing symptoms may cause problems in a person’s everyday routine. They can start from the person’s own thoughts and feelings. Words, objects, or situations that are reminders of the event can also trigger re-experiencing.

2. Avoidance symptoms:

Staying away from places, events, or objects that are reminders of the experience
Feeling emotionally numb
Feeling strong guilt, depression, or worry
Losing interest in activities that were enjoyable in the past
Having trouble remembering the dangerous event.
Things that remind a person of the traumatic event can trigger avoidance symptoms. These symptoms may cause a person to change his or her personal routine. For example, after a bad car accident, a person who usually drives may avoid driving or riding in a car.

3. Hyperarousal symptoms:

Being easily startled
Feeling tense or “on edge”
Having difficulty sleeping, and/or having angry outbursts.
Hyperarousal symptoms are usually constant, instead of being triggered by things that remind one of the traumatic event. They can make the person feel stressed and angry. These symptoms may make it hard to do daily tasks, such as sleeping, eating, or concentrating.

It’s natural to have some of these symptoms after a dangerous event. Sometimes people have very serious symptoms that go away after a few weeks. This is called acute stress disorder, or ASD. When the symptoms last more than a few weeks and become an ongoing problem, they might be PTSD. Some people with PTSD don’t show any symptoms for weeks or months.

Social Phobia (or Social Anxiety Disorder) - Social Phobia, or Social Anxiety Disorder, is an anxiety disorder characterized by overwhelming anxiety and excessive self-consciousness in everyday social situations. Social phobia can be limited to only one type of situation — such as a fear of speaking in formal or informal situations, or eating or drinking in front of others — or, in its most severe form, may be so broad that a person experiences symptoms almost anytime they are around other people. People with social phobia have a persistent, intense, and chronic fear of being watched and judged by others and being embarrassed or humiliated by their own actions. Their fear may be so severe that it interferes with work or school, and other ordinary activities. Physical symptoms often accompany the intense anxiety of social phobia and include blushing, profuse sweating, trembling, nausea, and difficulty talking.

WebMD also lists Specific Phobias - A specific phobia is an intense fear of a specific object or situation, such as snakes, heights, or flying. The level of fear usually is inappropriate to the situation and may cause the person to avoid common, everyday situations.

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Per ADAA.org, approximately 50% of adults with AD/HD(which includes "ADD") also have an anxiety disorder.

Per aspergerfoundation.org.uk, a person with Asperger's Syndrome is especially susceptible to high levels of anxiety.

According to Clinical Psychiatry News, Hoarding behavior associated with traumatic life events More than 54% experienced more than one TLE (Traumatic Life Event), and the maximum number reported was five. A motor vehicle accident was the most commonly reported trauma. In addition, hoarders were more likely than nonhoarders to report rape, sexual abuse, and having witnessed a crime, according to a subanalysis of specific TLEs. Pure hoarders reported a significantly greater number of TLEs (odds ratio 2.27), Ms. Cromer said.

(Note: My understanding is that hoarding has been classified in the DSM IV-TR as falling under OCD, but my understanding is the DSM V will re-classify hoarding as a separate diagnosis. Some people who hoard have symptoms of OCD and some do not. Hoarding also happens amongst those with schizophrenia and dementia, and it also happens independent of other diagnoses.)

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
Old 11-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I resemble that.

Subscribing.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Wow this is amazing data.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Heh! Well I have all of the ones on the list!!! My primary is OCD. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has been life saving for me. It is, in my experience, the only therapy that can get to the both the root cause and the behavior to provide relief. That is not to say that I am cured or all better. I do though have the techniques that I have learned to help me when I am in an anxious place.

The CBT treatment of depression is very different than for anxiety and sometimes it is hard for me to identify something as depression and then figure out how to handle it.

Medicine is also helpful but without therapy it would be useless in my opinion. Medicine is what allowed me to actually do the Exposure Respsonse Prevention therapy.
julieisafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
smouldering

How Do You Identify?:
Punky girly girl, glittery femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, etc.
Relationship Status:
Single, Recovering

Thanked 3,974 Times in 924 Posts
smouldering Has the BEST Reputationsmouldering Has the BEST Reputationsmouldering Has the BEST Reputationsmouldering Has the BEST Reputationsmouldering Has the BEST Reputationsmouldering Has the BEST Reputationsmouldering Has the BEST Reputationsmouldering Has the BEST Reputationsmouldering Has the BEST Reputationsmouldering Has the BEST Reputationsmouldering Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you very much for sharing this, definitely an interesting read.
I have always been really shy, especially when it comes to meeting new people but lately I find myself having really bad panic attacks when I have to make phone calls or if I have to go to an appointment of any kind, I mean serious heart palpitations, severe chest pain and high blood pressure and i find myself almost looking for hiding places.. Ive seriously been considering getting a check up because the older I get the worse it seems to get
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smouldering For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

I see Myself in all of that ~ amazing!

Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #9
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

One of my major anxiety downward spirals over the last few years has been invasive, obsessive thoughts and fears regarding my own mental health. When I read descriptions from the dsm, I identify with so many of them 1 some of them so serious. I've figured out that when I've spent hours combing through Ted kazinsky's psychological evaluation that what I need to do is take a pill rather than continue reading. It sucks because i'm fascinated by human psychology and it's a real area of interest if it weren't for the fact that I identify so heavily with everything I read.

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
Old 11-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,739 Times in 644 Posts
Tawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I had anxiety for about 1.5 years. Ended up being the side effect of a med that didn't develop until after I'd been taking said med for 3 months.

Anyway - that was terrifying. I was terrified of everything. That I was going crazy, that I was going to lose my job, that I was going to lose my relationship (and I was working hard at making sure I'd lose said relationship), that I was drinking too much... any and everything was fair game to pull into the mix.

Just being in a situation where I was sitting at my desk - laid back and cool one minute and terrified of *something* the next moment. Not knowing what that something was but that I had to leave work and get outta there immediately or something very horrible was going to happen.

everyone suffering from this for any amount of time has my deepest empathy... it's just horrible.
Tawse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tawse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i'm not sure what i have but i feel like i battle the strong feeling of anxiety.

Like going into a store. Especially being in the back of the store.

i always feel like i am on the verge of a panic attack...

just weird.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
i'm not sure what i have but i feel like i battle the strong feeling of anxiety.

Like going into a store. Especially being in the back of the store.

i always feel like i am on the verge of a panic attack...

just weird.
Stores, expecially grocery stores trigger me too.

Maybe if you are in the back of the store, your subconscious knows you are away from an easy exit? Do you have any claustrophobia?

Sudden movements can get to me if I am triggered (I have PTSD, diagnosed first time in 1986). From the parking lot to inside the store, people move fast and in spurts. Sometimes they get in my personal space too. Often people scream at their children, or allow their children to use the buggies as skateboards or bumper cars. I often just have to grab the essentials and leave.

Another thing I have noticed, is that towards the back of a store the air seems stuffy and I get a slight headache.

Stores are often built like caves, and you can't see outside no matter how deep you are in.

In person, you seem task oriented like I am. I can see where figuratively jumping through hoop after hoop to get what you need, plus getting interrupted over and over might wear on you too.

I could go on....

I can see so many valid reasons to be anxious in stores. Lol.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #13
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

My anxiety has gotten a lot better - it seemed to be at its worst about 3 years ago. I have meds for it now but try not to take them more than necessary.

I think it's helped that I quit drinking, stopped reading the dsm and my environment has become more supportive for the most part.

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl

Last edited by Nat; 07-10-2013 at 05:30 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #14
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Being away from the exit is a concern....

Mistly i feel like the air is being sucked out of the building

Today i have to go to a bug building and deal with US Customs....

Of course i hardly slept a wink
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

I've been working on making sure my home and work environments stew not stressing me put. I've been very anxious this spring. Burning. But I'm taking steps to make it better.

I don't always take care of myself. With a lot of help and encouragement I'm trying to do that.

Glad you are doing Nat!

Dee, that sounds way stressful! I hope all goes smoothly.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #16
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

I have always suffered from anxiety but haven't tried to medicate it yet. I always have the "feeling of impending doom" and have visuals of my house burning up with my dogs inside because I left something on, or other things in that genre. Ugh, I hate it.

I also have social anxiety, which is weird because I am a professional communicator and it doesn't affect me at work at all, in fact people know me as super friendly and social and I am always the get-together planner, event coordinator, speaker at events, etc. I feel most comfortable when I have a role or a duty to fulfill.

If I don't, and have to go into a new situation or around people I am not comfortable around, ugh it sucks. But I hold it all inside and I don't let it show, which might manifest it more, who knows.

I need a psychiatrist. Haha.

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #17
Queenie

How Do You Identify?:
Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,891 Times in 523 Posts
Queenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST Reputation

I use to have awful social anxiety. It was so fucking painful! But over the years I grew out of it. I think what really helped was me moving to london and starting new in a new place with my then soon to be husband. Funny thing is, now I will talk to anyone. I just dont give a crap any longer.

I have anxiety when it comes to the bloody phone tho. Its not with talking to the person on the other end. It's dialing the number. It's like a mental block that makes me unable to punch the numbers into the fucking phone! It is starting to really bug the crap out of me!
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Queenie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalipstic View Post
I've been working on making sure my home and work environments stew not stressing me put. I've been very anxious this spring. Burning. But I'm taking steps to make it better.

I don't always take care of myself. With a lot of help and encouragement I'm trying to do that.

Glad you are doing Nat!

Dee, that sounds way stressful! I hope all goes smoothly.
Apparently i was stressing by the look of all those typos,,

i did good and it was quick,,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I think that identifying your stressors is probably the most helpful thing you can do (at least that has worked for me!). While I don't have terrible anxiety, I do get really stressed out when I feel like I'm losing daylight on projects or my never-ending to-do list.
Knowing this, I will do very simple things like prioritize things with these kinds of categories: things that MUST be done, things I'd like to get done, things that I probably think are important but that really aren't in the grand scheme of things, and things that I can do to help me accomplish the bigger items on my lists.

It's a simple strategy but it works for me.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

I've started listening to meditations on audio dharma when I am anxious. Seems to help.

After a recent move, home situation is better than it has been in years. Work, a work in progress. Lol.