christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

I've been done with the Hunger Games - I was surprised at how quickly I blew through them. I've mentioned them to random strangers in airports. Sigh. I am such a nerd sometimes.

I am currently reading "At Risk" by Patricia Cornwell. For those who remember my vehemence about e-readers vs. books... I've surrendered and downloaded the Kindle app on the iPhone AND the iPad.
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #1062
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post
Just finished reading

"Butterbox Babies" by Bette Cahill.

What an amazing and sad stories of babies that were sold and/or murdered in a home for unwed mothers in Nova Scotia.

It's a quick read if anyone is interested.
I read that, it is quite the story.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #1063
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

I need some good reading suggestions, please.

My son gave me an Amazon Gift Card for Christmas, which I am eager to use, and I am done reading all that I had previously downloaded.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #1064
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

What genre do you enjoy?

One of my favorite authors is Jacqueline Carey - the Kushiel series is one that I can re-read over and over.

I also enjoyed "Room".

Sherri Reynolds lives here in VA and is, IMO, a wonderful southern author.

On my Kindle app waiting to be read are:

A Tinker's Damn
Keeper of Keys
Dead Wood
Big Lake
The Collectibles
The Wedding Gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post
I need some good reading suggestions, please.

My son gave me an Amazon Gift Card for Christmas, which I am eager to use, and I am done reading all that I had previously downloaded.
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #1065
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

I like magical realism, mystery, drama, basically anything that is intelligently written and I don't figure out the ending within the first few pages.

I will look those up, thank you.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #1066
Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,739 Times in 644 Posts
Tawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post
I like magical realism, mystery, drama, basically anything that is intelligently written and I don't figure out the ending within the first few pages.

I will look those up, thank you.

I love the Dresden File series... about a PI who also happens to be a Wizard. I believe there are 13 books at this time...
Tawse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tawse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #1067
Maria

How Do You Identify?:
Regular, with sugar

Thanked 1,335 Times in 501 Posts
Maria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST Reputation
Default whole grain, organic, ciabatta, or twinkie. it's all the same.

Still on the food science tip. After Gary Taubes' groundbreaking Why We Get Fat: And What To do About It, Wheat Belly is a quick read.

Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maria For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #1068
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,643 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default Books

Picked-up Haruki Murakami's new book "IQ84"
willl crack its 900 pages open as soon as I finish

Paulo Coelho's "Las Valkiras"

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #1069
ONLY

How Do You Identify?:
well my girl calls me honeybear, sugarbear, sexy beast, hot tamale.....
Preferred Pronoun?:
female pronouns
Relationship Status:
Married to my Rare Beauty with a Beautiful Soul.....SS

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,735 Times in 679 Posts
ONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST Reputation

I am reading I think it is the 11th book of the "Anita Blake" series from Laurell K. Hamilton "Cerulean Sins"

I wanna that my girl for getting me HOOKED on the series

ONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ONLY For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #1070
SoulShineFemme

How Do You Identify?:
All girl. All the time.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Married to my beloved ONLY

2 Highscores

Thanked 1,363 Times in 455 Posts
SoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLY View Post
I am reading I think it is the 11th book of the "Anita Blake" series from Laurell K. Hamilton "Cerulean Sins"

I wanna that my girl for getting me HOOKED on the series
You are most welcome. Now just wait until you REALLY get into the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich.....
SoulShineFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoulShineFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #1071
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Currently reading - 1921: The Yankees, the Giants, and the Battle for Baseball Supremacy in New York
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #1072
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation
Default Intelligent, inspiring, necessary

"Sowing Seeds in the Desert by Masanobu Fukuoka - Chelsea Green

This revolutionary book presents Fukuoka’s plan to rehabilitate the deserts of the world using natural farming, including practical solutions for feeding a growing human population, rehabilitating damaged landscapes, reversing the spread of desertification, and providing a deep understanding of … read more."
SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #1073
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

MockingJay--the third book in the The Hunger Games trilogy
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #1074
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,908 Times in 1,861 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

Empires, Nations & Families: A History of the North American West 1800-1860 by Anne F. Hyde

This book documents the broad family associations that crossed national and ethnic lines and that, along with the river systems of the trans-Mississippi West, formed the basis for a global trade in furs that had operated for hundreds of years before the land became part of the United States. It shows how the world of river and maritime trade effectively shifted political power away from military and diplomatic circles into the hands of local people, and reveals how, in the 1850's immigrants to these newest regions of the United States violently wrested control from Native and other powers, and how conquest and competing demands for land and resources brought about a volatile frontier culture.

I haven't finished this, but it is fascinating and very well written.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #1075
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

The Taming of Chance (Ideas in Context) by Ian Hacking.

Interesting and well written, but I don't love it.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #1076
sanee66

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

sanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputation

13 1/2 by Nevada Barr, pretty good so far.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #1077
PaPa

How Do You Identify?:
GQ Butch Daddy
Relationship Status:
A Very Protective BIG Daddy...

Thanked 5,873 Times in 1,530 Posts
PaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST Reputation

Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls.
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaPa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #1078
Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Tawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

reading "Witch and Wizard" by James Patterson right now. 65% in and I still don't give a damn about any of the characters. Not a good sign. I think I'm just reading it cause I'm 65% done and I may as well finish it... kinda like a Saturday night date...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tawse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #1079
JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Thanked 13,995 Times in 3,685 Posts
JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation

Yesterdays reading selections included Edgar Allen Poe's a Tell Tale Heart, and Ralph Waldo Emerson's The American Scholar.

I just love the early American Authors, they have so much passion, so much drive and such eloquence. If today's activists, or even politicians had even an eighth of their skill and determination and grace, the world would be a far different place.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #1080
Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Member Photo Albums

uhm... didn't Poe have a passionate relationship with Opium? lol

Or is that just an urban legend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLovelyJenn View Post
Yesterdays reading selections included Edgar Allen Poe's a Tell Tale Heart, and Ralph Waldo Emerson's The American Scholar.

I just love the early American Authors, they have so much passion, so much drive and such eloquence. If today's activists, or even politicians had even an eighth of their skill and determination and grace, the world would be a far different place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tawse For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading