The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default Linus' House of IT: 15 cents please

Inflation and all that. The tech house is open for those interested.
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Can I just give you five kisses and ten hugs?
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
Can I just give you five kisses and ten hugs?
Sure. That works.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

RAH!

For my first question, what size is your

screwdriver?

Okay. grin. I don't have a question ... yet.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
RAH!

For my first question, what size is your

screwdriver?

Okay. grin. I don't have a question ... yet.
I have a multi-attach version -- Craftsman from Sears. Just plop it in and good to go.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I have a multi-attach version -- Craftsman from Sears. Just plop it in and good to go.

I...

Um....

Well?

Oh never mind! You win this round!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

I have a friend with a problem.

"I have a laptop that wont even boot. numberlock button flashes then the power light goes out"

Do you have any thoughts?

Also my own laptop did something weird today. I turned it off last night and it installed an update.

When I booted up this morning, it told me it could not find the profile. Then it loaded up into a new profile.

I logged off as that user and my normal profile was there then.

Thoughts on that one?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Arwen:

For the laptop that won't power off: try removing the battery and remove the power supply connect, wait 3 min, leave the battery out and then connect via power supply to see if it will boot up. What kind of laptop is this?

For your profile: it may be nothing other than a hiccup but definitely watch it for a little bit.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

What's a good defrag program for macs?

Please and thanks.
Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Arwen:

For the laptop that won't power off: try removing the battery and remove the power supply connect, wait 3 min, leave the battery out and then connect via power supply to see if it will boot up. What kind of laptop is this?

For your profile: it may be nothing other than a hiccup but definitely watch it for a little bit.

It's a Dell Inspirion 1200. I've got a Dell Latitude D600 refurb. I'll tell him. grin! Love you. Thanks! If that works, is it a bad battery?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:

It's a Dell Inspirion 1200. I've got a Dell Latitude D600 refurb. I'll tell him. grin! Love you. Thanks! If that works, is it a bad battery?
Possibly. How long has he had this laptop and battery combo? Rechargeable batteries do a finite life to them (usually 2-3 years) and cost about $50-200 to replace. The Rechargeable Battery industry does have a recycling program in place (check at Radio Shack to see if they have a box) where you can drop off batteries (particularly NiCads) if that is the culprit.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

I have an HP Pavilion, less than 6 months old. My parents don't have high speed internet so when I try to get online there I have to use dialup. It's worked fine in the past, but recently it won't connect. I log on to AOL and can hear the dial tone. I can hear my pc dialing in but it will not connect. Could it be a modem problem or maybe a side effect of a virus? I even uninstalled AOL and reinstalled a newer version, and downloaded new drivers. Same problem.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixielady View Post
I have an HP Pavilion, less than 6 months old. My parents don't have high speed internet so when I try to get online there I have to use dialup. It's worked fine in the past, but recently it won't connect. I log on to AOL and can hear the dial tone. I can hear my pc dialing in but it will not connect. Could it be a modem problem or maybe a side effect of a virus? I even uninstalled AOL and reinstalled a newer version, and downloaded new drivers. Same problem.

It's been a while since I've done modem internet. Since you are getting a dialtone that suggests that the modem is ok. From the time it did work to now was anything installed/added/changed (particular areas to focus on are firewall/AV software)?

Have you also followed the following steps as outlined by AOL itself: http://tinyurl.com/yl3updn
Old 11-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Hrmm...
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #15
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Mac

Hi there Linus! lol

Loving my new Mac but have a couple of questions..

when I highlight to change font color all the HTML code shows.. also shows on other peoples posts etc... i cant find where to change this

there is no backspace button.. the delete button moves backwards and I miss the delete button sitting still while all the crap i want to delete magically gets sucked up into this delete button.

any thoughts?
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #16
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy_dee View Post
Mac

Hi there Linus! lol

Loving my new Mac but have a couple of questions..

when I highlight to change font color all the HTML code shows.. also shows on other peoples posts etc... i cant find where to change this

Do you mean when replying? As for seeing the code, you may need to change the editor being used. Which browser is it? Safari or Firefox?

Quote:
there is no backspace button.. the delete button moves backwards and I miss the delete button sitting still while all the crap i want to delete magically gets sucked up into this delete button.

any thoughts?

I don't understand what you mean by this. Do you mean what the backarrow would do (move the cursor) or did you mean something different?
Old 11-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #17
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
[/COLOR]Do you mean when replying? As for seeing the code, you may need to change the editor being used. Which browser is it? Safari or Firefox?
[COLOR=Navy]

on safari.. should i just use FF? I do like FF

I don't understand what you mean by this. Do you mean what the backarrow would do (move the cursor) or did you mean something different?
There is normally a backspace button.
I dont have one now and use the delete button but it doesn't function the same. THis part is not a biggie
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #18
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post
What's a good defrag program for macs?

Please and thanks.

I'm really kind of starting to feel unloved here, Linus.

Is it cuz I didn't pay upfront?
Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #19
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Ah..

Yes, use Firefox. Safari sometimes doesn't render all HTML properly.

And an extended keyboard might be the answer. You can get a USB external or re-learn life without. I never used it before so I don't miss it (I do miss the page down buttons).
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #20
evolveme

How Do You Identify?:
honeysuckle venom
Preferred Pronoun?:
a pistol and a sugar cane
Relationship Status:
I promise to aid and abet

Location: in between poems where ceilings are floors and joe ghost floats achromatic toward day
evolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputation

Psst.

Will you tell a girl who to properly invisifont in this place?

Please and thank you, Linus.

e