Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Religion, Spirituality, Mysticism

Old 06-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #81
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I too believe the simplier the life, the better. I also believe in nature, animals, and the role of the environment. There is a time for everything. And in everything is a purpose. No matter how small. There is meaning.

As for the cycle of life...the life and living; the moment of death; the separation of the body & soul; reincarnation. For me it is just this simple. But that is just my understanding of the Buddist thinking.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #82
oblivia
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married, treasured, and adored

Thanked 1,430 Times in 359 Posts
oblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputation

I've not been updating daily but I saved these to post as I really liked them:

June 22, 2010
Tricycle Daily Dharma
The Joy and Pain of Close Relationships

You do not learn non-attachment by disengaging and avoiding the intensity of relationships, their joy and their pain. It is easy to disguise as non-attachment what is not non-attachment at all, but your fear of attachment. When you really care about someone and you are willing to commit to that friendship, then you have fertile ground to learn about both attachment and non-attachment. That is what makes the marriage relationship so rich.

-Judy Lief, "Tying the Knot" (Spring 1998)

June 24, 2010
Tricycle Daily Dharma
All You Have To Know

Lord Buddha says that all you have to know is what you are, how you exist. You don't have to believe anything. Just understand your mind; how it works, how attachment and desire arise, how ignorance arises, and where emotions come from. It is sufficient to know the nature of all that; that alone can bring you happiness and peace. Thus, your life can change completely; everything turns upside down. What you once interpreted as horrible can become beautiful.

Lama Yeshe, "Your Mind is Your Religion"
oblivia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oblivia For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 07:07 AM   #83
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Lady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST Reputation
Default Re: The Daily H.H The Dalai Lama

In the final analysis, the hope of every person is simply peace of mind.
(H.H. The Dalai lama)

I think this is a good place for me to start: do I have peace of mind? If the answer is no, then I need to examine my life to find out why not. And fix it. This finding out can only be done by some type of introspective thinking: journal writing is a good place to start. This allows me to have a conversation with myself. This gives me a place to call home-MY home, that I don't have to share with anyone, unless I choose to do so. I get to know myself. Do I truly have peace of mind where I am and just not realize it? That is something I can determine over the course of several weeks of writing. I just might not know it. If I truly don't, then what can I do about it? Can I change my point of view, so that I have it where I am? Can I change the situation where I am. so that I will have peace mind? If the answer is no, then I need to determine what will give me peace of mind and find it. I suggest solitude for a time after leaving a situation. This lets me get to know myself again as I am now. I am probably not the person I thought I was. So some time meditating, have more conversations with myself (journal writing again), and making new friends lets me find out both who I am and who I want to be in order to simply have peace of mind.
Lady_Wu
Old 06-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #84
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Lady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST Reputation
Default Re: the daily Daode Jing

which is more important, your honour or your life
which is more valuable, your possessions or your person
which is more destructive, success or failure

because of this great love exacts great cost
and great wealth a greater loss

knowing when you have enough avoids dishonour
and knowing when to stop will keep you from danger
and bring you a long happy life
(Laozi)
Old 06-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #85
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Re: The Daily H.H.Dalai Lama

The only purpose of religion is to control yourself, not to criticize others. Rather we must criticize ourselves. How much am I doing about my anger? About my attachment, about my hatred, about my pride, my jealousy? These are the things we must check in daily life.
(H.H.The Dalai Lama)
Namaste
Old 06-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #86
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Re: The Daily Daode Jing=Tao Te Ching

when the world follows the Tao
horses run free to fertilize the fields
when the world does not follow the Tao
war horses are bred outside the cities

there is no greater transgression
than condoning people's selfish desires
no disaster greater than discontent
no greater retribution than for greed
(Laozi)
Old 06-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #87
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Re: The Daily H.H.Dalai Lama

Not to identify oneself with something, or to associate things with the "me," and to see that the idea that there is a "me" which is distinct from things is a delusion-that is true wisdom.
(H.H.The Dalai Lama)
Old 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #88
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Re: The Daily Daode Jing=Tao Te Ching

without opening your door
you can know the whole world
without looking out your window
you can understand the way of the Tao

the more knowledge you seek
the less you will understand

the Master understands without leaving
sees clearly without looking.
(Laozi)
Old 07-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #89
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Four kinds of generosity (Tibetan Buddhism)

Trungpa Rinpoche says that genrosity is the giving up of privacy and inviting all sentient being as one guests...
Four kinds of generosity are mentioned in the Tibetan tradition:
1. Giving material things to those who are in want.
2. Giving protection to those who need it.
3. Giving love.
4. Giving dharma.
Namaste,
Lady_Wu
Old 07-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #90
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Re: The Daily H.H The Dalai Lama

The first step in seeking happiness is learning. We first have to learn how negative emotions and behaviors are harmful to us and positive emotions helpful.
(H.H.The Dalai Lama)
Old 07-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #91
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Re: the daily Daode Jing

if i understood only one thing
i would want to use it to follow the Tao
my only fear would be one of pride
the Tao goes in the level places
but people prefer to take shortcuts
Old 07-06-2010, 05:30 AM   #92
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Happy Birthday!

H.H.The Dalai Lama
Turns 75 today!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:33 AM   #93
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Anger

Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else. You are the one getting burned,
(Buddhist saying)
Old 07-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #94
SFFemmePrincess

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Lesbian Princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female Pronouns
Relationship Status:
Single but also non negotiably non monogamous

SFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST Reputation

I'm so happy that this thread has continued. I was sort of on hiatus, but I am going to try and be back now, as much as I can. And after seeing that Linus and others are reading Buddhism for Beginners, I decided to take it off the shelf and read it again, this time the whole way through. I will be checking back and posting more often...
SFFemmePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #95
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Re: The Daode Jing=Tao Te Ching

Good to have you with us, Rainbow! I have been absent for awhile due to illness. I try to post a saying for the Tao Te Ching everyday and a quote from H.H.The Dalai Lama everyday, and perhaps something of my own that is related to one or the other. I am primarily Taoist and secondarily a Buddhist.
Namaste,
Lady_Wu

there is an old saying
it is better to be passive
in order to see what will happen
it is better to retreat a foot
than advance an inch
(Lao-Tzu)

This is related to wu wei, one of the central Taoist concepts. "Wu" translates as "no" . "Wei" translates as "to do". So wu wei literally means "to do no" whatever. This is generally translated as "nonaction".
Old 07-21-2010, 06:26 AM   #96
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Smile Quote from the Buddha

You yourself, as much as anyone in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:10 AM   #97
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Re: H.H.Dalai Lama

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples, for complicated philosophies. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple, the philosophy is kindness.
(H.H.The Dalai Lama)
Old 07-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #98
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Re: The Daode Jing=Tao Te Ching

the Tao of Heaven works in the world
like the drawing of a bow
the top is bent downward
and the bottom is bent upwards
the excess is taken from
and the deficient is given to

(Laozi)
Old 12-31-2010, 02:01 AM   #99
Camo Eagle

How Do You Identify?:
FTM in these communities. Male in everyday & public life.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Camo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST Reputation

Im a practicing Buddhist of the Mahayana & Tibetan school. Ive also started the Shambhala Warrior Training as well. Im currently working on my Ngondro. Ive taken my Rufuge Vows, and hopefully this yr will take my Bodhisattva Vows.

Ngondro
http://turtlehill.org/khen/tersar.pdf
www.ngondro.net

Shambhala
www.shambhala.org

I also practice equal parts Paganism, & Santeria, although as pretty much a Solitary in my area. I also still study Catholicism. So yes I believe you can blend them. I also know when its wise to discuss & not.

Ive been studying religions since I could read, both informally & formally. I think they all have something to offer & so much in common. We only need look with both open eyes & open minds.
Camo Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 AM   #100
Camo Eagle

How Do You Identify?:
FTM in these communities. Male in everyday & public life.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Camo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST Reputation

This is a lesson from my Temple. I give credit to the author, but I dont want to name him here w/o his permission.

The Buddha and Christmas

Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede
“A Wal-Mart worker died early Friday after an "out-of-control" mob of frenzied shoppers smashed through the Long Island store's front doors and trampled him, police said.
The Black Friday stampede plunged the Valley Stream outlet into chaos, knocking several employees to the ground and sending others scurrying atop vending machines to avoid the horde. When the madness ended, 34-year-old Jdimytai Damour was dead and four shoppers, including a woman eight months pregnant, were injured._”
BY Joe Gould, Clare Trapasso and Rich Schapiro
DAILY NEWS WRITERS .Updated Friday, November 28th 2008, 10:46 PM
According to one witness that spoke with the New York Daily News "When [other employees] were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling, 'I've been on line since Friday morning!' They kept shopping." The term "senseless death" gets bandied around a good deal in the media but Jdimytai Damour's was beyond senseless. It was an unnecessary tragedy.

While this particular episode happened two years ago, in 2010 we still had people camping overnight outside stores, waiting for super deals and also trampling other shoppers on Black Friday. Do we ever learn? Is this what Christmas is all about?

Needless to say, or at least in my humble opinion, I doubt that The Buddha would be up at 5:00 AM on Black Friday trying to fight his way to the first Nintendo Wii, large screen LED TV or other gadgets for himself. If The Buddha were with us today I think he would appreciate the core values of the Christmas season without getting swept up by the frenzy that sometimes surrounds it. While not a Christian, he could celebrate the life of Jesus and the example he left us of compassion and wisdom. He could help a friend decorate her tree in order to bring a sense of warmth and good cheer to her home. I bet he would even think of a great Secret Santa present for a co-worker. If The Buddha were exchanging presents he would not get gifts for the sake of crossing someone off a list or spend days trying to get the best deal on an item but he would likely take the time to truly think through how to help improve the lives of his friends and family.

We too can take a step back from the holiday craziness and reflect on how we can help other people. Such reflection may lead to the perfect gift but more likely will lead to a sense of appreciation for all that we have been given. We should not get too hung up on a perfect gift but focus more on the act of giving itself. When we extend our generosity to others we also grow as a person. When we reflect on what the individual we're giving to means to us we are literally extending our heart to them while offering a token sign of appreciation for our connection.

When we meditate about the season and take the time to connect with the heart of compassion, then we develop a gift that is truly meaningful both to the recipient and to our self. For our niece with a lot of energy and a smidgen of grace maybe we can give her dance lessons. For our sibling who is going through a rough time at home we can take them out of town for a weekend. It is not so much what we give this time of year, but that we give with warmth and compassion in our heart. And when you give, give without expecting anything in return, that would take away so much value to your act.

When you extend yourself selflessly to others, you reconnect with the spirit of this holiday and to all sentient beings, with or without a gift. When you practice Bodichitta, when you feel compassion and offer the gift of your heart, it is the sort of Christmas present The Buddha could get behind.
Camo Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Camo Eagle For This Useful Post: