Old 07-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up Lesbians and Politics

LPAC – First of Its Kind Lesbian Political Action Committee – Launches Today

PAC to elect pro-lesbian, pro-women candidates to public office in 2012

July 11, 2012—Today a group of activists and donors launched LPAC, the first of its kind lesbian political action committee. The values-based committee sets out to positively influence policies that impact women by electing candidates who champion issues that impact lesbians and their families.

“This year we have seen politicians repeatedly support policies that harm women,” said actress and supporter Jane Lynch. “It is important to me to elect leaders who care about issues that impact women and their families. That’s why I support LPAC.”

After decades of being a small subset of players in women’s rights and LGBT rights political efforts, the women of LPAC are stepping up to get organized like never before, aiming to give lesbians a real and meaningful seat at the table. With significant resources, LPAC plans to make a true impact for lesbians in the 2012 election cycle and beyond.

“Frankly, we created LPAC because we were shocked by this past year,” said LPAC Chair and Treasurer Sarah Schmidt. “Lesbians could no longer stand by and witness continued attacks on reproductive freedoms, marriage equality, and be immersed in a political sphere where women are not given a meaningful voice in politics.”

LPAC plans to take advantage of the dramatic window of opportunity that exists to counter this onslaught of attacks by electing strong pro-women candidates to office.
LPAC will support candidates who champion a range of issues that impact lesbians and their families, Democrat or Republican, male or female, gay or straight. These values include:

-Ending discriminatory treatment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals and their families;
-Protecting access to reproductive freedom and quality healthcare; and,
-Furthering social, racial, and economic justice for all Americans.

“Members of the LGBT community are inspirational leaders and role models in every aspect of American life—from education to entertainment, from sports to science,” said sports icon and social justice pioneer Billie Jean King. “The formation of LPAC provides lesbians and the entire LGBT community a new, stronger voice and a real and respected seat at the table when politicians make policy that impacts our lives.”

LPAC will give directly to federal candidates and will also engage in key city, state, federal, and ballot campaigns through independent expenditures. LPAC is working with both women’s and LGBT political organizations in order to be most strategic and effective with its resources.

“I support LPAC because courageous elected officials who support women’s rights, fairness, and equality for all of us deserve our unconditional support,” said Laura Ricketts, LPAC advisory board member and director and part owner of the Chicago Cubs.

Longtime LGBT movement leader, and LPAC advisory board member, who helped spearhead the effort, Urvashi Vaid, said: “I’m involved in starting LPAC because I want to create fresh politics, one in which the lives of ordinary working women and men, LGBT people and people of color matter, and because I believe lesbians must step up and lead in solving our country’s challenges.”

For a full list of advisory board members, see below.

LPAC is a political action committee dedicated to one goal: influencing elections by giving lesbians a meaningful seat at the political table. www.teamlpac.com
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,372 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

What an awesome thread topic! Thank you, I am subscribing.
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,659 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

I think this is wonderful and long overdue.

Yet, a part of me has to wonder why a group concerned about women and lesbians has one value definition that is woman/lesbian specific and the other 2 are generalized.

[What is a pro-lesbian candidate?

LPAC will support candidates who champion a range of issues that impact lesbians and their families, a pro-lesbian candidate is someone who supports:

Ending discriminatory treatment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals and their families;

Sexual and reproductive freedom and women’s access to quality healthcare; and,

Furthering social, racial, and economic justice for all Americans. ]

It seems odd to me how stuff supposedly geared toward women seems to get routinely watered down to include all people, thereby taking the focus off women/lesbian. Is there some reason women just cant focus on what is good for women? Is there some reason we have to sandwich this between what is good for everyone else?

And, where the heck is any mention of feminism and sexism? Or, are those on par with Voldemort i.e. that-which-must-not-be-named?

This just seems, to me, to be part of the internalized and operationalized patriarchial programming where women must always be mindful of others, place others needs on equal par or better yet above our own, etc.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,435 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

i had the opposite reaction kobi...in my experience, many initiatives that choose only to focus on women's issues pretty much erase the needs/experiences/presence of marginalized women. because they don't address the fact that we can't even get to the table to talk about sexism half the time because of colonialism, poverty, racism, etc. and that these other issues have deeply shaped what sexism looks like in our communities. so to me...any women's initiative that is going to be inclusive of us has to deal with that. it's not about watering it down...it's about making sure that initiatives to address sexism go beyond middle/upper class white women's communities and needs.

this is compounded by the fact that many women with disabilities, poor and rural women, and women of color who are descriptively lesbian or queer cannot or will not identify that way politically because it can threaten their access to community and resources, among other things. for many people it's a life or death issue and they won't have the freedom to identify this way politically because those other issues are not usually included or addressed at the political queer table.

since the political sphere is dominated by middle and upper class white folks...before i read that part of the initiative i had serious concerns about the possibility that this could be at all inclusive or address the needs of a more diverse group of women. i still have concerns but that at least gives me some hope that they are keeping this in mind as they move forward.

this is really awesome thanks for sharing about it howsoonisnow!
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Longtime LGBT movement leader, and LPAC advisory board member, who helped spearhead the effort, Urvashi Vaid, said: “I’m involved in starting LPAC because I want to create fresh politics, one in which the lives of ordinary working women and men, LGBT people and people of color matter, and because I believe lesbians must step up and lead in solving our country’s challenges.”
Urvashi being involved gives me hope.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default #ThisIsWhatALesbianLooksLike in Response to LtGv. Jennifer Carroll (FL)

Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll Denies Lesbian Relationship Claims

Florida's Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll is on the defensive after former staff member Carletha Cole claimed that she caught Carroll and her female travel aide in a "compromising position" in Carroll's capitol office.

"Black women that look like me don't engage in relationships like that," a giggling Carroll, who was attending the opening of a Mitt Romney campaign office in Orange Park, told Tampa 10. Watch the video above.

She told reporters that she's been married for 29 years, while her accuser, is "the one that's been single for a long time."

-----------------------------

In response to the bolded statement above: Twitter#ThisIsWhatALesbianLooksLike and in the comments section below.

Slideshow on HP of women who have sent pictures of their lesbian selves.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

Thanked 10,606 Times in 1,477 Posts
Dude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST Reputation

very nervous faux laugh
if you ask me

as if , looks , being married or being single have anything to do with anything.
how lame.

I'm amused by all the comments so far
but
decadent lifestyle?
Straight people are so convinced we get our freak on so much more than them.
Like bunnies , it really is , ALL we think about. right?
Nobody works or has a real life , just like the soap operas...
oh wait "some" of the soap opera stuff is true
but we could say that about "some" straight relationships also.

I say it takes a lot of courage to go public and tell the truth
(assuming that it is the truth.) Could a person that has been
fired or scorned make up something like that? Absolutely.
I want the details of the compromising "position"
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
Deborah

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babydoll is a start....
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Livingston 4/20/2013

Thanked 1,454 Times in 276 Posts
Deborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST Reputation

What does she mean women that look like her don't have relationships like that....

I disagree we certainly do....everyday. That comment doesn't make me believe or disbelieve her it just makes me think she thinks we aren't that smart...smoke and mirrors perhaps....

"The Good Within Me Honors The Good Within You"
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deborah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Default LPAC

$50k Match for Tammy Baldwin

Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin is running for Senate. She needs our help immediately. This is an important and historic campaign: if elected, she would be the first openly gay member of the US Senate.

---Tammy is under attack from anti-women, anti-choice, and anti-equality forces.
---Secret groups funded by the Koch brothers, the US Chamber of Commerce, and Karl Rove have already spent millions of dollars attacking her.
---Every dollar you give to help Tammy's campaign, the LPAC Board will match, up to $50,000.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thumbs up Oh Canada!

Ontario's openly gay premier hopes to be example for others

TORONTO (Reuters) - Ontario's new premier, the first openly gay head of a Canadian province, said on Sunday it would be "wonderful" if her victory can help society be more accepting of young gay people.

Ontario's Liberals chose Kathleen Wynne, 59, on Saturday to become the head of the minority government ruling Canada's most-populous province, which is grappling with a huge deficit and tenuous growth.

Wynne told a post-victory news conference on Sunday that her priorities would be to heal wounds in the provincial legislature so the parties can work together to tackle spending and improve the education system.

"The rancor and the viciousness of the legislature can't continue," she said. "We absolutely have to continue to work out our disagreements."

Responding to a question on what it meant to be the first openly gay premier in Ontario, Wynne said that while she was not an activist, she hoped she could be a role model for young gay people uncertain of their place in society.

"If I can help people to be less frightened, then that is a wonderful, wonderful thing," she said.

In her acceptance speech at the weekend leadership convention, Wynne, 59, a former Ontario education minister, thanked her partner, Jane, for her support during a three-month campaign. Ontario was one of the first Canadian provinces to allow same-sex marriage.

Wynne's victory means Canada's four most powerful provinces will be led by women. British Columbia, Alberta and Quebec already have female premiers. Women are also at the helm in the Atlantic province of Newfoundland and Labrador and in the thinly populated Arctic territory of Nunavut.

Wynne replaces Dalton McGuinty, who stepped down in October as controversy mounted over costly cancellations of two natural gas power plants and battles with teachers over the government's cost-cutting efforts that included freezing wages.

The center-left Liberals have been in power for nine years in Ontario, home to most of Canada's banks and a large part of its manufacturing sector. But the party lost seats in the 2011 provincial election and needs support from at least one other party to stay in power.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #11
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,816 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation
Default Republican Senate candidate: I have a lesbian daughter, but I oppose gay marriage

Maryland Politics

By Rachel Weiner March 24 at 3:04 PM

Republican Richard J. Douglas, a candidate for Maryland’s open Senate seat, said Thursday that while his daughter is gay, he opposed the state’s legalization of same-sex marriage.

“I have a lesbian daughter,” Douglas said at a primary debate that aired on Fox 45 on Thursday afternoon. “I love my daughter, I want no harm to come to her, but our traditions matter, and tolerance is a two-way street.”

When gay marriage was legalized in Maryland in 2012, he said, “I didn’t celebrate it. . . . I didn’t agree with the result; I didn’t like it.”

One of his rivals for the Republican nomination, Chrys Kefalas, who works for the National Association of Manufacturers and is openly gay, said that while he thinks same-sex marriage “is an issue of individual liberty, equality and dignity,” it’s also not what matters to voters.

“ISIS is beheading people,” Kefalas said, referring to the terrorist group Islamic State by its other name. “People are losing their jobs.”

State House Minority Whip Kathy Szeliga (R-Baltimore County), who is also seeking the nomination, agreed. “This was a divisive issue in the past,” she said, “but it’s definitely been settled. What Marylanders care about now are taxes, jobs and the economy.”

In a state where there are more than twice as many registered Democrats as Republicans, whoever wins the April 26 primary faces very long odds in the general election. All four of the candidates on stage Thursday tried to balance conservative positions with a moderate appeal

They said they believed in climate change but did not want to deal with it in a way that would hurt U.S. workers. Most said they would meet with Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland but probably would not vote to confirm him. Only Kefalas warned that it might make sense to hold hearings before the November election, given the possibility that Democrats will take both the presidency and the Senate next year.

“Let’s have hearings, let’s vet the nominee, let’s find out how this nomination stands,” he said.

Each candidate made the case for his or her particular appeal in a blue state.
Douglas said only he had worked with the last Republican senator from Maryland, the late Charles McC. Mathias Jr., who was in office when Douglas was at the State Department.

Candidate Joe Hooe, who owns a local tire company, said his relationship with customers and his novel immigration plan would give him a leg up. That plan is to charge undocumented immigrants and their employers each $1,000 a year for temporary work certificates.

Kefalas noted that he had worked as a speechwriter in the Department of Justice under President Obama. His Greek American immigrant background, career in business and government, and status as a gay Republican would help him appeal to Democrats, he said.

Szeliga argued that she knows how to win as a Republican in Maryland, having worked with Gov. Larry Hogan (R) both in office and on the 2014 campaign that put him there.

Polls show a wide-open race for the nomination, with few voters paying much attention a month before the April 26 primary. In a recent Baltimore Sun poll, Szeliga led the field with 6 percent of the vote. Seventy-nine percent of voters were undecided.

In all, 14 candidates are seeking the nomination. Those who participated in the debate Thursday were chosen by the Maryland Republican Party, which required contenders to have raised at least $10,000 by March 9.

By the end of last year, Kefalas had raised the most money, but Szeliga had more cash on hand. Both had raised and spent less than $200,000 — sums dwarfed by the multimillion-dollar Democratic primary.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...7153&tid=ss_tw

Rachel Weiner covers local politics for The Washington Post.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #12
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,892 Times in 9,889 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Not sure how many people know this, but Gov. Kate Brown (D-Oregon) is open about her identity status as being Bisexual, and she's the second woman to be governor in my state, after Governor Barbara Brown. I'm kind of worried about who will take her place because as most might not know, Oregon is essentially a Red State. If it weren't for the long held status of the democrats in Multnomah county (other wise referenced after Carl Sagan's catch-phrase, title of a science book and philosophy -- The Pale Blue Dot), our state would bleed red - politically. Which would make all the red-neck, right wing, white nationalists hiding in the woodwork in every town in Oregon happy, is what I am guessing.

I heard a tiny bit about someone in the greater metro area community on the radio, the other day, speculating about who will take her place. The GOP in our state is nearly on the brink of becoming more unhinged than usual, so I'm very worried. Not one peep out of the Democrat party in our state and no other long term serving democrat in our state is rippling the water on whether they plan to run for governor, in the near future.

<<<<<<<<~~ is very concerned about politics in my own home state and metro area, and the ever encroaching White nationalism that has been pervasive in this state, for as long as I can remember.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: