Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Mike Huckabee

http://www.upi.com/blog/2012/12/14/M...5121355523408/
Old 12-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #2822
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I worked in a high school in a very dangerous neighborhood. A continuation high school. Our metal detectors were broken. The doors were never locked.

If you are going to solve this with security, it's going to be very expensive. And guess what, once again, the U.S. will show by its actions that the lives of poor kids don't matter.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #2823
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Not all public schools in the US are locked up...........It depends on the paranoia level of the school officials. I would suggest if someone wants to kill someone in a school they will find a way in......
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #2824
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I worked in a high school in a very dangerous neighborhood. A continuation high school. Our metal detectors were broken. The doors were never locked.

If you are going to solve this with security, it's going to be very expensive. And guess what, once again, the U.S. will show by its actions that the lives of poor kids don't matter.
I have belief that we are a much better nation and much more carring than you feel we are.

The kids in Conn. were not poor and they had a security system set up that failed.

This issue is not just about the poor it is about children.
The Following User Says Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #2825
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
I have belief that we are a much better nation and much more carring than you feel we are.

The kids in Conn. were not poor and they had a security system set up that failed.

Do we know the security failed? The guys mother worked in the school and he may have visited her many times. My sister was a teacher and I went in and out of her school/classroom all the time.

So no one should get in a school except the teachers and the kids?
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #2826
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,346 Times in 2,667 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

When I first started teaching, I saw a documentary about how many weapons were found inside a school with metal detectors. I swore I would never teach in a school with metal detectors or a police officer with a weapon. I still feel that way.

I am very sad about what happened in Connecticut, and I am definitely feeling the weight of the huge responsibility, not only to teach math, but to keep my students safe.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #2827
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Okiebug, I too believe there are many caring and good people in our country. I see it almost daily because I look for them or else I would be greatly disheartened overall by what is on the news daily.

I do believe that the majority of Americans care about our children (even if they are not related to us). We can care and have the best of intentions and still not grasp the totality of things happening in our nation every day.

I cannot help but wonder why as I watch this latest tragedy unfolding why our nation does not react with such magnitude when everyday a brown, black or poor white child is killed. It is as if we accept it on some level. That is the way things are and the best we can do is distance ourselves from such lives and neighborhoods.

When it happens in a community that is much like the community many of us live in or aspire to live in, then we are shocked and outraged. I don't think most Americans conciously realize that this reaction or lack there of is in fact collectively our responce to everday gun violence and violence in general.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #2828
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 6,239 Times in 1,687 Posts
Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
Okiebug, I too believe there are many caring and good people in our country. I see it almost daily because I look for them or else I would be greatly disheartened overall by what is on the news daily.

I do believe that the majority of Americans care about our children (even if they are not related to us). We can care and have the best of intentions and still not grasp the totality of things happening in our nation every day.

I cannot help but wonder why as I watch this latest tragedy unfolding why our nation does not react with such magnitude when everyday a brown, black or poor white child is killed. It is as if we accept it on some level. That is the way things are and the best we can do is distance ourselves from such lives and neighborhoods.

When it happens in a community that is much like the community many of us live in or aspire to live in, then we are shocked and outraged. I don't think most Americans conciously realize that this reaction or lack there of is in fact collectively our responce to everday gun violence and violence in general.
IMHO I think we do react with the same intense feelings however since it was a MULTITUDE of children or adults killed it doesn't get reported nationally as these stories do.

To me some of the blame for how somethings r reported as to do with the shock factor. Over the yrs our news has gotten this shock them fully mentality. The bigger they make it the better the ratings. What happened to reporting what wad known and NOT making a media circus out of it.

Again IMHO I think if it wasn't reported like the next coming of Christ maybe ppl who r planning this would see their 15 mins of fame isn't going ro happen
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #2829
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybear View Post
IMHO I think we do react with the same intense feelings however since it was a MULTITUDE of children or adults killed it doesn't get reported nationally as these stories do.

To me some of the blame for how somethings r reported as to do with the shock factor. Over the yrs our news has gotten this shock them fully mentality. The bigger they make it the better the ratings. What happened to reporting what wad known and NOT making a media circus out of it.

Again IMHO I think if it wasn't reported like the next coming of Christ maybe ppl who r planning this would see their 15 mins of fame isn't going ro happen
I disagree TB. I do think race and class makes a huge difference when things get noticed and acted upon in our country. In part the magnitude of yesterdays tragedy and because it was primarily children was reported widely. Also our colletive reaction to it.

I am willing to bet you are white or perceived to be white. I don't think being white makes you a bad person but it can give you a perspective that is completely divorced from the perspective of POC and the things that happen daily in a poor urban environment.

I don't expect what I am saying is going to be heard easily. I understand. Some of the realities of our nation are not pretty nor easy. That goes for all races and cultures.

Last edited by Greyson; 12-15-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #2830
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
In the last couple weeks there have been several photos on the front page of the New York Times showing dead or bleeding children in Syria and around the world.

The distance you refer to closed when it was children in the U.S.

But it should never be there.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #2831
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandScout View Post
In the last couple weeks there have been several photos on the front page of the New York Times showing dead or bleeding children in Syria and around the world.

The distance you refer to closed when it was children in the U.S.

But it should never be there.
Good point. I am referring to the children in the U.S.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #2832
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I disagree TB. I do think race and class makes a huge difference when things get noticed and acted upon in our country. In part the magnitude of yesterdays tragedy and because it was primarily children was reported widely. Also our colletive reaction to it.

I am willing to bet you are white or perceived to be white. I don't think being white makes you a bad person but it can give you a perspective that is completely divorced from the perspective of POC and the things that happen daily in a poor urban environment.
Grayson

My race or perceived race has nothing to do with my perspective. I went and listened to a lady whose son committed suicide in the talk she addressed issue she told us that many times she had been asked the question if she thought that the latest person who committed suicide after being bullied was getting more attention then the death of her on since she wax white and he wasn't. She told us that he still gets attention years after his death and that there was and still is the same amount of coverage.

I think the shear numbers of ppl killed really plays into how something is reported.

I can and do appreciate ur opinion on this
Old 12-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #2833
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybear View Post
Grayson

My race or perceived race has nothing to do with my perspective.
I can and do appreciate ur opinion on this
Wrong. You may be unable to realize it, recognize it but it does not make what you believe, a fact.

I too have appreciated your willingness to post your opinion. We need to hear all opinions in order to have a conversation and hopefully change.I wish you well but we are going to continue to disagree on this one.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #2834
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I could have quoted many posts. For brevity I choose this one.

We do have many in this nation that care.

The security of children in SOME places is in place.

The inequalities exist. Children in poor schools/districts or that are poor are at more risk. Do we address their needs adequately when it comes to safety? I believe we do not. I believe race, income and how we view children in our society is reflected in the media's presentation and our reaction. The context of our personal realities can't be denied as part of how we react, talk and perceive this event.

Can we send children to fortresses to protect them from every possibility no matter their income level? I think that won't address the issue of safety in society. Nor do I think that is the learning environment I'd want for children.

On another tangent... The perprator, while we have limited information about him... was affluent and an adult. Yet, I note the mother shaming happening in the news. I am horrified.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #2835
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,659 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I don't expect what I am saying is going to be heard easily. I understand. Some of the realities of our nation are not pretty nor easy. That goes for all races and cultures.

I do agree with Greyson on this. This tragedy took place in an affluent white neighborhood, affecting rich white kids.

Take a look at the massive law enforcement response and the length of time it took to mount that response.

Keep an eye on the media coverage and how long it is likely to go on. Look at how many news stories were supposedly quoting "state and federal officals who were not authorized to divulge information."

Even Obama felt the need to weigh in on this.

Take a look at how long it is taking to process the crime scene.

Take a look at the responses of the general public on news forums and elsewhere. Read the stories where the Conn shooting has reached the international community.

Taegedy is never pretty, but even in tragedy, there are perks for being white and rich.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #2836
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Quote:
Wrong. You may be unable to realize it, recognize it but it does not make what you believe, a fact.

I too have appreciated your willingness to post your opinion. We need to hear all opinions in order to have a conversation and hopefully change.I wish you well but we are going to continue to disagree on this one.
Let me inform u and others I LOOK white however part if mt family is native American. No I don't feel the need broadcast my heritage. I was raised outside looking in so my perspective isn't typical by no means. So please understand that to me race isn't what I focus on when we r talking about a group ANY group.

I like u can't tell other ppl how they believe we r or should
. To me and my family color of ur skin isn't what makes u WHO u r or ur worth to us. I wish others would could realize just that. What a more understanding place it could b
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teddybear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #2837
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,659 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Victims in Connecticut shooting are identified

****Trigger Warning******

By NEW YORK TIMES NEWS SERVICE
December 15, 2012

All of the children killed by a gunman at a Connecticut elementary school were shot multiple times, according to the state's chief medical examiner, who said that it was worst scene he had witnessed in three decades examining crime scenes.

“This is a very devastating set of injuries,” said Dr. H. Wayne Carver II, the chief medical examiner for the state.

Carver said that parents were shown photos of their children to spare them from seeing the gruesome results of the shooting rampage, which left 20 children dead, along with six adults at the school. The gunman, identified by law enforcement officials as Adam Lanza, 20, shot and killed his mother at his home before going to the school, then killed himself after the rampage. Carver said that they had not yet completed examinations of Lanza and his mother.

Carver that in the seven autopsies he himself had performed, the victims had from three to 11 wounds.

With the examinations complete and the families informed, the authorities released the names of those killed.

They ranged in age from 6 to 56. Among the children, there were 12 girls and eight boys; all were in the first grade, officials said, and all were 6 or 7 years old.

As families began to claim lost loved ones, there were new and tragic details about what took place in Sandy Hook Elementary School.

The principal and the school psychologist were shot as they tried to tackle the gunman “in order to protect her students,” the school superintendent said Saturday.

The superintendent, Janet Robinson, said teachers and staff members who were caught up in the nation's second-deadliest school shooting had managed to save students' lives with “incredible acts of heroism.”

But it was not enough: First responders described a scene of carnage in the two classrooms where the children were killed, with no movement and no one left to save, everything perfectly still. On Saturday, a police spokesman, Lt. J. Paul Vance, said Lanza had forced his way into the school, which had a security system requiring visitors to be buzzed in.

President Barack Obama, meanwhile, used his weekly radio and Internet address to mourn the victims, saying that “every parent in America has a heart heavy with hurt.” Republicans, who normally prepare a reply to the president's address, did not do so this time.\

Children:
Charlotte Bacon, 6
Daniel Barden, 7
Olivia Engel, 6
Josephine Gay, 7
Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 6
Dylan Hockley, 6
Madeleine F. Hsu, 6
Catherine V. Hubbard, 6
Chase Kowalski, 7
Jesse Lewis, 6
James Mattioli, 6
Grace McDonnell, 7
Emilie Parker, 6
Jack Pinto, 6
Noah Pozner, 6
Caroline Previdi, 6
Jessica Rekos, 6
Avielle Richman, 6
Benjamin Wheeler, 6
Allison N. Wyatt, 6

ADULTS
Mary Sherlach, 56
Victoria Soto, 27
Anne Marie Murphy, 52
Lauren Rousseau, 30
Dawn Hocksprung, 47
Rachel Davino, 29

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #2838
LeftWriteFemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Daddy's good girl

Thanked 12,321 Times in 5,198 Posts
LeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Gay Employee Led Customers To Safety in Oregon Mall Shooting

(make sure to watch the video at the bottom)

http://www.advocate.com/crime/2012/1...regon-shooting
Please take a look at my work
Click on flashing smilie to see my website

To look at my Daddy/girl erotica book Click on pompom girl to see Elbows on the Table, Palms Flat
LeftWriteFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LeftWriteFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #2839
Wolfsong

How Do You Identify?:
Aw man....another label?
Preferred Pronoun?:
Boys will be boys
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,031 Times in 418 Posts
Wolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST Reputation

Westboro Baptist Church to picket funerals of Newtown shooting victims

Vile
Wolfsong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wolfsong For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #2840
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsong View Post
Westboro Baptist Church to picket funerals of Newtown shooting victims

Vile
............ WHY?? ...........
I HOPE THE POLICE INTERVENE AND KICK THEM OUT OF TOWN

this is too upsetting

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaking news, news