Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > BUTCHFEMMEPLANET.COM NEWS AND INFORMATION > Questions from Members/ Troubleshooting

Old 12-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Reputation System - How, Exactly, Does it Work?

Okay, I give in. I've been trying to figure it out for the past couple of weeks now but alas, it's beyond me.

Linus? Medusa? Anyone?
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Words For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words View Post
Okay, I give in. I've been trying to figure it out for the past couple of weeks now but alas, it's beyond me.

Linus? Medusa? Anyone?
Will join you in the head scratch.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

*laughing* I can't figure it out either--and I thought it was just me!--but I wonder if it might be tied to the Thanks button somehow.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

I'm scratching too.

Um, my head, that is ....

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Rook

How Do You Identify?:
A.G - Stone Butch - GenderFuck
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hym, Hyz...or, just b respectable, it's not that hard..

Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,287 Posts
Rook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST Reputation

u see the scales?
by the Blue/green dot, between the Sign, bottom left of a persons mini profile?...
U click that...
However, I've received quite a few Reps ( Im guessing the Reps are a heads-up thumbs up with a small approval opinion, or question in private added}, only have maybe a single green cube...
So, yeah..hmm

Old 12-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

I think the "thanked post" system has kinda usurped the rep system.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

Location: where the road goes on forever and the party never ends
Thanked 1,533 Times in 437 Posts
little man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersuebee View Post
I think the "thanked post" system has kinda usurped the rep system.
you said "usurped." *swoon*

i'm a rambling man
i ain't ever gonna change
i got a gypsy soul to blame
and i was born for leaving

--zac brown band (colder weather)
little man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to little man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

*heh*

The reputation system (also sometimes referred to as the "Karma System") is a way for user to indicate support or dislike of a post. You can hit the little scales (found at the bottom of left of each person's post) and choose either "I approve" or "I disapprove". You can also include a comment.

This adds to your reputation provided that the person hitting the scales has reputation to offer (must be a value over 50 points). You can see your points when you go to UserCP. That value will appear just above the reputations and Thanks you receive. The higher the number of points, the greater the number of "green balls" you'll get.

How much reputation you get from someone hitting those scales will depend on how many points someone has (the value is a percentage of their points).

Now, the Thanks Button is a variation of the Rep in that it allows individuals to give a quick "positive" rep and quick thanks for a post. This was created to lessen the simple "Thanks" posts for information. In this very supportive environment, it's taken off like wildfire (far greater than I would have imagined). I am contemplating creating a modified version of it that would be a "Hugs" (for those times you want to show support for someone when down, facing a challenge, etc.).

That said, it's up to you if you want to use it. That really is a personal choice and just because you receive "Thanks" or a positive rep from someone doesn't necessarily mean you need to do so in return.

Let me know if that helps any and if you have more questions, need something clarified or if I didn't quite answer what you were looking for.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Here is a small explanation from vBulletin:

"User Reputation in its simplest form is a ranking of your user's benefit to your forum. Its basis comes from the opinions of all of your forum users that choose take part in it.

Users gain and lose reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation, will either give or take aways points by approving or disapproving with a post's content."

A few notes here:

* Nobody on BFP can leave a negative reputation except for the Admins or mods (I doubt this would ever be used)

* Every user starts out with a level '10' reputation.

* Your reputation points determine how many points you give to someone when you "rep" them.

* For every year that you are a member, you get a rep point.

* For every 1000 posts, the user gets 1 rep point.

* For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. (meaning, if I have 200 rep points, then I can give 2 points to a user by repping them)

* Users must have 20 posts before reputation hits count on other users

* Users can give unlimted rep comments over a 24-hour period.

* Users do NOT have to spread rep around between other people before repping the same person.

When we started looking at the rep system, we wanted to make it be much less about how many points a person had than the communication that comes with it, hence unlimited reps

I apologize for being late in providing an explanation of how it works.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by little man View Post
you said "usurped." *swoon*
I got more where that came from bay-
Old 12-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks Linus and Medusa, I'm still unclear as to how it works but it's late and I'm tired so I'll just have to take another look at what you wrote in the morning.

Thanks though for the responses - much appreciated
Old 12-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #12
TeaPartyTart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I think "cupcake" has a nice ring to it
Relationship Status:
shackin' up

TeaPartyTart Has the BEST ReputationTeaPartyTart Has the BEST ReputationTeaPartyTart Has the BEST ReputationTeaPartyTart Has the BEST ReputationTeaPartyTart Has the BEST ReputationTeaPartyTart Has the BEST ReputationTeaPartyTart Has the BEST ReputationTeaPartyTart Has the BEST ReputationTeaPartyTart Has the BEST ReputationTeaPartyTart Has the BEST ReputationTeaPartyTart Has the BEST Reputation

In case anyone cares, I belong to the Barbie school of "Math is Hard!" (pout!). I appreciate the detailed explanation from both Linus and 'Dusa but please don't ask me to explain it back to anyone.

Personally I get a kick out of the comments on the repped posts. They make me feel like I'm not the only weirdo out there who has issues with stuff (like feet). Points aside, I love the love!

Tootles,
Tart
TeaPartyTart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeaPartyTart For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I just have to say I love all the options to send positive vibes.

Yeayy!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaPartyTart View Post
In case anyone cares, I belong to the Barbie school of "Math is Hard!" (pout!). I appreciate the detailed explanation from both Linus and 'Dusa but please don't ask me to explain it back to anyone.

Personally I get a kick out of the comments on the repped posts. They make me feel like I'm not the only weirdo out there who has issues with stuff (like feet). Points aside, I love the love!

Tootles,
Tart

Me too. I could care less about points, but I like the clever, sweet, crazy shit people say in their reps. The "Thanks" falls flat to me.

Also, sometimes I worry that the "Thanks" can become sort of alienating, as when a bunch of people "Thank" a member after they take another to task. I don't know if I'm being very clear...but there's ust been something that's felt sort "off" about it to me from the get go.

(There are disapproving reps? Is that another paid option?)

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post

Me too. I could care less about points, but I like the clever, sweet, crazy shit people say in their reps. The "Thanks" falls flat to me.

Also, sometimes I worry that the "Thanks" can become sort of alienating, as when a bunch of people "Thank" a member after they take another to task. I don't know if I'm being very clear...but there's ust been something that's felt sort "off" about it to me from the get go.

(There are disapproving reps? Is that another paid option?)
I'm very curious about the part that I've highlighted. Could you explain it using an imaginary example (you can use me as the "bad guy")? I never thought of this and want to get it clear in my head so I can understand where you're coming from.

As for disapproving reps, when you assign reps you have the option to choose "I Approve" or "I disapprove". The system defaults to the "I approve" and Medusa (correct me if I've misunderstood, bossy lady! ) has made that only available to mods and such to keep the site about supporting each other.

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

I too have issues with the thanks system as is. And yes, I do think it has the potential to alienate.

Say two folks were discussing a 'hot' topic and I thanked one. It might be because I agree with them and appreciate their speaking up. It could also be, however, because I disagree with them but still appreciate their offering an alternative point of view. The problem is, the other person, who has no way of knowing why I am thanking them, could easily assume that I'm taking sides, which in turn could make them feel alienated.

Make sense?

Words
Old 12-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #17
NotAnAverageGuy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Trans

NotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the rough

No wonder when I hit 1,000 posts my rep went from 2 to 3

so basically it takes 100 rep points and thanks to get up to another rep power level

*puts out more cookies for admin and linus*
NotAnAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #18
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Okay, so that I understand.

Thank you!

(And thanks Linus for mentioning that the negative feedback option doesn't actually exist...not being able to find it was driving me nuts)
Old 12-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #19
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I'm very curious about the part that I've highlighted. Could you explain it using an imaginary example (you can use me as the "bad guy")? I never thought of this and want to get it clear in my head so I can understand where you're coming from.

As for disapproving reps, when you assign reps you have the option to choose "I Approve" or "I disapprove". The system defaults to the "I approve" and Medusa (correct me if I've misunderstood, bossy lady! ) has made that only available to mods and such to keep the site about supporting each other.
Words described one relevant scenario.

Another might be when moderation occurs in a thread and one user is specifically targeted. While many may agree that it was necessary and want to support the mod's efforts, half a dozen people publicly "approving" of the moderation has the appearance of a dog pile. (I can PM you with an example of the sort of thing to which I refer.)

"Thanks" may show support and show appreciation for another's words, but isn't that why there are reps (and replies)?

It's not a huge deal, just something that's been niggling at me a bit, and that maybe deserves a little more consideration.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #20
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words View Post
I too have issues with the thanks system as is. And yes, I do think it has the potential to alienate.

Say two folks were discussing a 'hot' topic and I thanked one. It might be because I agree with them and appreciate their speaking up. It could also be, however, because I disagree with them but still appreciate their offering an alternative point of view. The problem is, the other person, who has no way of knowing why I am thanking them, could easily assume that I'm taking sides, which in turn could make them feel alienated.

Make sense?

Words
It does make sense. But at the same time, I've seen people quote a whole post and say something like, "great post" at the end and that's it. Doesn't add much to the conversation (which is why I suggested this to Medusa -- kind of a way to alleviate those and hopefully encourage more discussion).

At the same time you could thank both for their posts at giving you alternate views of things, whether you agree or don't agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post
Words described one relevant scenario.

Another might be when moderation occurs in a thread and one user is specifically targeted. While many may agree that it was necessary and want to support the mod's efforts, half a dozen people publicly "approving" of the moderation has the appearance of a dog pile. (I can PM you with an example of the sort of thing to which I refer.)

"Thanks" may show support and show appreciation for another's words, but isn't that why there are reps (and replies)?

It's not a huge deal, just something that's been niggling at me a bit, and that maybe deserves a little more consideration.

Well, the concept of the "Thanks" button was to thank for information or providing a post that was useful. As I mentioned above, it was more to address those simple "thanks for a great post" responses that can appear after one post and nearly kill a discussion. I think the usage here is beyond that.

The "dog pile" affect (and I have seen those elsewhere) can even happen in replies. I actual detest that. Yes, sometimes we need to be reminded to play nice with each other (doesn't mean agree; just respectful) but everyone else continuing to echo it (kinda like kids in playground) is a bit much. Perhaps disabling for the mods and admin to avoid that effect?

This definitely gives me more food for thought as I never really realized that this was being used in that way. As much as I like it, I wonder if perhaps it would be better to remove it given that it may have an adverse effect (creating more divisiveness than supporting each other).