Old 09-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #1
Ender

How Do You Identify?:
Male (trans)
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/him
Relationship Status:
Single

Ender Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST Reputation
Default What do you do for a living?

I'm almost graduated from University and I'm not getting any full-time, permanent jobs at the moment in my field, and I can't live off the temp./part-time jobs.

What kind of jobs/careers do you guys have?
(If you went to college/univeristy), did you get a job in your field? Or did you go a completely different route?

Last edited by Ender; 09-10-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ender For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-ish, tomboy lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Together a really long time

Thanked 12,912 Times in 3,079 Posts
Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation

I’m a certified nursing assistant in a nursing home. Been one for over 20 years. Also do some cleaning on the side and occasionally work at a dog boarding kennel.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,987 Times in 9,938 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I hold several State Board certifications and licensures, in an variety of fields of interest; but currently, since about two years ago, my primary job is taking care of me.

ETA: both higher-Education degrees I have earned have not necessarily played an role in obtaining employment. Most of my prior work experience has been in some form or role in working with the public. I would say that in most cases, it's not what you know or what degree you have earned, but more like who you know (social capital, for example).
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
WheatToast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her

WheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
I hold several State Board certifications and licensures, in an variety of fields of interest; but currently, since about two years ago, my primary job is taking care of me.

ETA: both higher-Education degrees I have earned have not necessarily played an role in obtaining employment. Most of my prior work experience has been in some form or role in working with the public. I would say that in most cases, it's not what you know or what degree you have earned, but more like who you know (social capital, for example).
"Who you know"...exactly.
I've had many careers that always spun off from some other job I had before. Networking is the art of connecting good employees with good companies.
I was blessed to retire early, and now I work more than I did when I was employed full time, but I only choose fun clients, with whom I like spending time.
Right now, my business card says I'm a PR and marketing consultant. I work with restaurants and bakeries to help them maximize their profits without breaking their always meager advertising budgets.

If people are having trouble finding work in their specific field, sometimes it helps to get their foot in the door--any door--and keep moving forward. Even volunteer work in a field close to your chosen occupation will get your face known and help you make valuable connections.
WheatToast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to WheatToast For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #5
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I was a director for many areas like IT, Performance Improvement, Licensure, and Accreditation among other things for 12 years at a Nonprofit. I resigned back in April. Best decision ever. Very toxic environment. I’m currently in graduate school so I can finally do what I’ve always wanted to do. I plan to be back working no later than November. I’m just looking for something now that is a straight 9-5 Monday thru Friday rather than being on call 24/7, even on vacation. I cannot wait to be doing something that I love and not just something I am good at.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 08:52 PM   #6
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Currently I am owner and operator of my own green cleaning business. I have worked previously as a CNA/PCA with emphasis on dementia/Alzheimer’s patients.

I also have a small “from home” organic dog biscuit making business.

I have considered both nursing and social work as careers. I have an associate’s degree in Liberal Arts and at least 20 credits towards my bachelor’s. With my mother’s recent illness and passing, I’m leaning towards returning to health care. I would love to be like the comforting hospice nurses who were SO good to mom...and to us.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalizingfemme View Post
I was a director for many areas like IT, Performance Improvement, Licensure, and Accreditation among other things for 12 years at a Nonprofit. I resigned back in April. Best decision ever. Very toxic environment. I’m currently in graduate school so I can finally do what I’ve always wanted to do. I plan to be back working no later than November. I’m just looking for something now that is a straight 9-5 Monday thru Friday rather than being on call 24/7, even on vacation. I cannot wait to be doing something that I love and not just something I am good at.
Well, November is here and I am starting a new position next week. I will be the Director of Compliance and Risk Management for a non-profit. I have enjoyed my time off but am ready to challenge my brain beyond school.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 03:18 AM   #8
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
I'm almost graduated from University and I'm not getting any full-time, permanent jobs at the moment in my field, and I can't live off the temp./part-time jobs.

What kind of jobs/careers do you guys have?
(If you went to college/univeristy), did you get a job in your field? Or did you go a completely different route?
I am finishing up my last class currently to get my Associates in Administrative Assistance, and am looking at a certificate in Human Resources.

I am a Front Desk Coordinator at a public accounting firm in SF. General tasks are handling phone calls, greeting guests, ordering and stocking kitchen and office supplies, distributing mail. We're a small firm - 80 employees - so I also assist with a lot of other tasks... Mostly being right-hand to our HR Manager and collaborating on office tasks with our Office Coordinator.

Always learning new skills, expanding current ones and helping anyone who asks - I love my job I am well compensated and often joke I am a glorified envelope stuffer come end-of-month billing.
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bright_arrow For This Useful Post: