Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Gender fluid for me became clear by learning more about Native American Two-Spirit foundations. This brought me personally to a peaceful place about my female-masculinity- my butchness.

We all get there in whatever way we fits for us individually. A spiritual journey away from Christianity was mine. It also brought me to allowing myself some balance with all of the things I am where butch is one part. When I have had the negative (sometimes, plain cruel and bigoted) things happen to me that we go through as masculine women or butches, male & female identified and all of our transgendered, transsexual or intergendered formations, these concepts have given me a much less stressful emotional state of being. Every one of us does this differently, which makes it all the richer.

One book (there are many) that I got a lot from is-

Two-spirit people : Native American gender identity, sexuality, and spirituality

Sue-Ellen Jacobs; Wesley Thomas & Sabine Lang (snippet from an ad about the book).

This landmark book combines the voices of Native Americans and non-Indians, anthropologists and others, in an exploration of gender and sexuality issues as they relate to lesbian, gay, trans-gendered, and other "marked" Native Americans. Focusing on the concept of two-spirit people - individuals not necessarily gay or lesbian, transvestite or bisexual, but whose behaviors or beliefs may sometimes be interpreted by others as uncharacteristic of their sex - this book is the first to provide an intimate look at how many two-spirit people feel about themselves, how other Native Americans treat them, and how anthropologists and other scholars interpret them and their cultures.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #22
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rope View Post
I'm not quite sure why being interested in your gender identity as a butch makes one obsessed.
It doesn't. I don't think that's what any of us meant.

What I *personally* find tiring and annoying is a constant reference to one's gender (femme or butch or man or woman) included in everything that is talked about. I have had evening with people who do this kind of thing.

for example inki gave this shy girl a compliment on her dress when we were at a genderqueer event, to acknowledge how much work she had put into her outfit and because she was standing next to us and she wanted to at least acknowledge her being there and to possibly draw her into the conversation.

M, who was standing next to inki said "when a butch compliments you, that means she wants a compliment back."
inki: "actually I don't care why you do things M, but leave me and my gender out of it, would you?"
everything M does is somehow in comparison to being butch. That's obsessed in my books.

when people constantly encase everything they do in their gender - which M does. As does one of our friends who is femme. femme femme femme femme this femme that.

But I'm getting off the topic of fluidity. apologies.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #23
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rope View Post
I'm not quite sure why being interested in your gender identity as a butch makes one obsessed. Some of us took AND take a lot of shit for looking male and trying to "trick" straight people. We took a lot of shit for being who we are from the lesbian community back in the day. These things color your world. Being butch isn't something we put on for the day or when we feel like it, it's just there.

The discussion of butch and all it's stuff (tranny butch, femmy butch, queer butch, feminist butch, butch that's female id, butch that's male id, including the fluidity that some butches feel around their gender, ETC) is just the interesting mutations of a shared experienced on some level that we get to talk about.

Rope--
Hey Rope, right and I can't see where anyone's really said anything different... but I took things more like referencing specific experiences like I did.

And just for posterity sake, I took AND take a whole lot of shit for looking male and from parts of the lesbian and feminist and hetero community community as well (including almost 90 stitches on my face from the latter).

I Id'd as butch for over two decades, not for a day or when I felt like it, but right I haven't identified with butch as an ID for a some time even know I'm a masculine queer female... but for a long time it was the available nutshell language I had for myself. Not using that exact word now doesn't mean I don't feel, live, and and have that shared experience things very much as other masculine female bodied queer people. I've personally shared these life stories here for years and probably started more sex/gender conversations here than 98% of the peeps on the forums, including this conversation.

And because I feel a sense of "us and you" in your post (and b/c you didn't quote I'm not sure who it's directed at) I feel the need to say, I didn't separate myself from the B-F community, I would hope the B-F community wouldn't separate me from it because I feel more in sync with a cousin identity (not referencing being gender fluid, that's not so much an ID to/for me) more than butch. Though I suppose that could be a reality I didn't foresee...

And btw there's no animosity in this post, I'm just not quite sure where your coming from with all this, but then again I'm not even though my first cup of coffee...

Metro

Last edited by Jett; 08-15-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Jett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #24
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I didn't separate myself from the B-F community, I would hope the B-F community wouldn't separate me from it because I feel more in sync with a cousin identity (not referencing being gender fluid, that's not so much an ID to/for me) more than butch. Though I suppose that could be a reality I didn't foresee...
I haven't either. I have many many friends who ID as butch and femme (among other genders) and I myself still ID as femme.

There has been described gender fluidity mentioned with butch and femme since I fist joined the communities in 1998/9

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ropes misunderstanding of what was said (sorry rope, it appears to be a misunderstanding. I shouldn't assume, but I'm confident you'll let me know!) may be coming from the assersion Atlast made about the difference between North American Queer Gender concepts and UK ones. I think that's a valid assertion of difference.

I also note that North Americans *in comparison* are far more "obssessed" with their teeth. To what seems amsuing an absurd levels by people here. And? So what? It's just a difference. I'm nervous about returning to greater consumerism, focus on a longer work week and less holidays as well.

I don't think it's unfair to point these differences out and to voice my hesitation and nervousness about return to North America when there are some cultural markers I won't feel very comfortable about and will have a hard time re-adjusting back into. it's a valid fear.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not aware of a division between genderfluid or butch and or femme. Like you Met, I don't personally ID by my gender fluidity. it's just a traight like being blue eyed. Some people are. some people are not.

I'm personally having a gender/sex neutral day today so my tits are *REALLY* getting on my nerves. Some days I really do wish I could bind comfortably to get them the hell out of my own face. This doesn't stop me from being femme (a softwear program that constantly runs in the background at the same time). I know some people will have a problem wrapping their heads around that. it's not important though. Their brain math isn't my problem and I understand that occationally things don't make sense to others in personal core realms- it happens to me too. As long as I'm still accepted for me, that's all that really matters.

But the above isn't something that would occur to me to really talk to people about. It just kinda is, I'm used to it. it's sort of like talking to someone about my bowel movements. In context, it's fine. but it would be wierd to keep putting everything around me in my life in context to my bowel movements.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #25
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

Ok, thanx yep totally I get that and can see where Rope may have taken Atlast's post slightly differently then (I believe) it was meant.

And for the general record I do believe butch and femme etc. just as likely or not to be gender fluid (I think I mention that in my OP but I'm to lazy to look). I can only speak for me but my not taking "butch" any further in my life really doesn't have a lot, well perhaps a little, but not a great deal to do with my gender fluid-ness (nor feeling anything negative toward the butch femme community, on the contrary I have big family type luvs for many peeps and friends here and in my r/l)

For me it's more in my own intellectual understanding of myself coupled with there being more expansive queer terminology choices out there today than there used to be and I have found synchronicity with other gender identities more closely aligned with who I am and what I feel. In other words I found rather than remaining a bit of an "exception to the rule" every time I turned around in butch, more apropos place and terminology had become apparent where I'm not an exception. (which does not mean I think butch is limited)

And really, I'm not especially fond at this point of outwardly needing to define myself anyway, but the "software program that constantly runs in the background", (thank you HB I love that) the center balance of my fluidity if one must have a nutshell term is just more aligned with Boi and in looser GQ identities than in Butch (Boi having zero to do with maturity, age, or Leather roles to be clear).

Ok, before I ramble too much off topic... I just wanted to be a bit more clear on that, I suppose people can either get it or not but that's just the way it is.

Last edited by Jett; 08-15-2010 at 12:10 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #26
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Fluid: changing readily; shifting; not fixed, stable, or rigid.....

For me, butch has a rich and long history, yet has come to a time in which it appears to have shifted to allow for the changes in gender that were masked for a very long time. I don't feel this degrades butch at all, it opens up new avenues for us to experience. I see this as a way to not remain in a rigid state of being. I feel that for others that are trans, this is a way to extend butch foundations - which is why I don't question anyone that is transitioning and keeps their butch identification.

As Met has brought up, my hope is that the B-F community can also have room for those of us that for various reasons, just don't find butch to really fit our gender fluidity. I have just made some shifts that work better for me. And I certainly don't get riled-up with being called butch. It is a part of me, but doesn't cover the whole of me.

Something else that struck me was HB talking about behavior being defined via one's gender. I don't do certain things because of my B-F identity, I do it because of who I am as a whole based upon my history, experiences and all of the other cultural parameters that have shaped me.

I see the very same kinds of behavioral assumptions made of femmes all the time. Sometimes this just feels like being boxed-up and packaged to me with preconceived notions about how I am (and femmes) are to act.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #27
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
Fluid: changing readily; shifting; not fixed, stable, or rigid.....

For me, butch has a rich and long history, yet has come to a time in which it appears to have shifted to allow for the changes in gender that were masked for a very long time. I don't feel this degrades butch at all, it opens up new avenues for us to experience. I see this as a way to not remain in a rigid state of being. I feel that for others that are trans, this is a way to extend butch foundations - which is why I don't question anyone that is transitioning and keeps their butch identification.

As Met has brought up, my hope is that the B-F community can also have room for those of us that for various reasons, just don't find butch to really fit our gender fluidity. I have just made some shifts that work better for me. And I certainly don't get riled-up with being called butch. It is a part of me, but doesn't cover the whole of me.

Something else that struck me was HB talking about behavior being defined via one's gender. I don't do certain things because of my B-F identity, I do it because of who I am as a whole based upon my history, experiences and all of the other cultural parameters that have shaped me.

I see the very same kinds of behavioral assumptions made of femmes all the time. Sometimes this just feels like being boxed-up and packaged to me with preconceived notions about how I am (and femmes) are to act.
Hey Atlast, I think... I may have to make a clarification b/c what I highlighted there feels a bit off like it maybe could be misread as to what I'd said earlier.

My choice that butch wasn't the best fit for me was more a personal thing and doesn't rest solely on my gender fluidity as I kind of explained in my last post. I know you're speaking for yourself and what you meant but just want to keep clear on my personal perspective. No offense I hope...

Peace,
Metro

Last edited by Jett; 08-15-2010 at 10:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #28
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolis View Post
Hey Atlast, I think... I may have to make a clarification b/c what I highlighted there feels a bit off like it maybe could be misread as to what I'd said earlier.

My choice that butch wasn't the best fit for me was more a personal thing and doesn't rest solely on my gender fluidity as I kind of explained in my last post. I know you're speaking for yourself and what you meant but just want to keep clear on my personal perspective. No offense I hope...

Peace,
Metro
No offense at all taken! I see where you have carved your personal expansive niche. Clarification is always a good thing. Actually, it is the expansiveness that interests me, but, probably in my own manner.

Hummmm... I might need to clarify some things, too- my earlier post(s) were not mean't as negative. I have a deep appreciation of butch history/herstory and feel honored to have found this community. There have been quite a few people (on and off-line) that have enriched my life from here. The social network of B-F folks here is very active and commited to our community. That has been invaluable to me. Due to some physical restraints, I can't participate as much as I used to and like everyone, particular sub-groups become one's comfort zone. LOL, especially when you have less time and umph to participate!

I have just never been someone that fit into anything constraining. Not a good rule follower when I think about it. Never would have made it in the military. Nor would I ever have been good at being something like an accountant with strict protocols to follow. Just not in me. So, for me, trying to fit neatly into one specific identity doesn't work. This comes with its own set of stressors and at times, conflict. I don't have any negative judgements of others being able to do this at all. In fact, differences among us is one of my favorite aspects of the B-F dynamic and community. I know we can have our spats, etc., but, when I look at the diversity around me, I feel joy. At times, I do feel like I may not fit in, but, I think we all go through this at times. It has been hard to be the masculine female I am (butch as it applies to me in many ways). But, I know this is home, too. I also have always felt a bit out of step with every population/community I have ever explored. so, I think this is about me, not this community.

Last edited by AtLast; 08-16-2010 at 12:19 AM. Reason: stuff to add
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #29
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

omg I need to get my eyes checked. I could have sworn the title said "gender futility". Thought what an odd conversation. I must check this out! What a dufus.

Now back to our regularly scheduled conversation......

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2010, 01:08 AM   #30
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Lady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST Reputation
Default Re: me and me and me and...

Great thread! I have some gender fluidity in my own life. For instance, when I was little and about until age thirteen. I insisted I was a boy. I played exclusively with boys, made fun of "icky girls", etc. It was until my let me know that I was wrong that I began to reluctantly acknowledge that I was a girl. I've been told that this was a case of my having jumped the guff (I was a 3 month preemie) too soon. I had not truly made the transition from one incarnation to another. But it left me confused as to who and what I was.
For a long, long time I dressed as an androgyne. I had extremely short hair (still do), wore clothing that could be worn by any gender, and was ambiguous in my attitude and actions. Until I spoke, one did not realize I was in fact a girl. And even then was left somewhat wondering.
The only thing I knew for sure was that I was attracted to butches. Was I a fag? I did not know. They surely were attracted to me! Yet I had femmes chasing me, too. (No interest for me there, sorry.) But I never wore dresses or any other femme things. I DID enjoy mixing things up, like camo pants and Doc Martens with a laced, ALMOST femme shirt. I liked to keep people guessing.
Then one day I wandered into a boutique. NOT my normal habitat! The salesperson persuaded me to try on a Flax dress. I liked it. So I bought it and gradually acquired more and more femme items. I let my fingernails grow and began polishing them. I began wearing lipstick. Gradually I morphed into a femmy femme.
This process took place over time and soul-searching. Just wh/what was I? Did it matter to me? I decided that it did, and embraced my femme identity. Yet traces of my androgenous self remain. I wear my hair extremely short, though now for religious reasons. I think of myself as a "Taoist monk", rather than a bhikkhuni. Somes I find myselg longing after men;s clothing. For instance, I would LOVE to dress like Ellen sometimes! Though I would femme that up with jewelry, nail polish, lipstick, ect. I still have my Docs and will occasionally wear them with a dress. I can do anything around the house a butch can do, though would rather not.
The one thing I have never, would never do is act the part of a butch in bed. There I have always been a stone femme! Perhaps that is why I sought out butches! I still don't know why this is so but do not question that anymore. I am who I am, whatever that is. For me that is a femme, with power and the abibity to live on my own terms!
Lady_Wu

Old 08-16-2010, 02:07 AM   #31
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Lady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST Reputation
Default Theme song

Sigh. Tried to embed "Miskakes Like Me* by Melody Guy from YOU TUBE. Can't figure out why. Anyway that's my theme song. I'm the Yin in the Yand and the Yang in the Yin.

Last edited by Lady_Wu; 08-16-2010 at 02:15 AM. Reason: tried You Tube but failed
Lady_Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady_Wu For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #32
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
omg I need to get my eyes checked. I could have sworn the title said "gender futility". Thought what an odd conversation. I must check this out! What a dufus.

Now back to our regularly scheduled conversation......
ROLF!!!

Great Freudian slip!!! Too much!! Love it.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #33
Converse

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy
Relationship Status:
Married

2 Highscores

Converse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post

I have just never been someone that fit into anything constraining. Not a good rule follower when I think about it. Never would have made it in the military. Nor would I ever have been good at being something like an accountant with strict protocols to follow. Just not in me. So, for me, trying to fit neatly into one specific identity doesn't work. This comes with its own set of stressors and at times, conflict. I don't have any negative judgements of others being able to do this at all. In fact, differences among us is one of my favorite aspects of the B-F dynamic and community.
Kinda feels like you are saying to be a Butch is to step into some sort of box with limitations and rules. I’m curious do you see other genders (I subscribe to the third gender theory) just as constricting or is it only Butch that you see as having “protocols’? The inference that Butches are “followers” is something that I am reading from your post- would appreciate if you could expand before I jump to any conclusions. Thank you
Old 08-17-2010, 01:13 AM   #34
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
Kinda feels like you are saying to be a Butch is to step into some sort of box with limitations and rules. I’m curious do you see other genders (I subscribe to the third gender theory) just as constricting or is it only Butch that you see as having “protocols’? The inference that Butches are “followers” is something that I am reading from your post- would appreciate if you could expand before I jump to any conclusions. Thank you

No, that isn't what I am saying at all. My post was really from a personal space. I have found that there seems to be many preconceived notions of what a butch is. Other butches (or however one identifies) may have a different experience. Actually, due to how fluid I view gender to be, I just have a hard time when it feels like I am supposed to act a certain way, dress a certain way, cut my hair a certain way, etc. in order to fit into some category of butch. I (and I bet many others) don't follow some butch book of regulations. We are all individuals. And as I said, I have never been one to follow strict guidelines about anything. Sometimes this can be good and at other times, not so (like the example I gave about not being good in any kind of job, profession that requires a lot of structure- where other people can do this). There is no value judgment in what I was attempting to say.

I am just who I am which includes a female-masculinity that is part of a whole range of what is butch (which comes from what an individual chooses).

My comment came on the heels of HB talking about the whole thing of there being some specific butch meaning behind a compliment (her example) which is based upon the gender of butch. I think we are all individuals and have a multitude of things we could mean when complimenting a femme (part of her example). Not all butches have the same motivations or reasons behind their behavior.

Don't read too much into what I said because I was talking about my own personality and gender dynamics. I don't view butches as followers. Yes, I have felt that butches (and femmes) get stereotyped often within our own dynamic and community. There have been times in various threads that it feels like there is some ultimate butch behavior that makes one a butch. That has gotten to me for the very reason that there is a whole host of identity variables in butch and in gender identification all around. Third gender is one of these along with transgendered and transsexual, and intergendered as well as female gender blended (and a host of others!). I can't speak for anything other than my identification as a butch (for me) being a female gender-blended person. This is how I identify presently and feel like it fits into somewhere along the entire spectrum of butch. This is my comfort zone.

I hope I am making sense, but it is hard because as I said, this is about me, not anyone else. I may some gender commonalities with others here along with dissimilar gender variables. All are valid.

I talked about two-spirit gender and sexuality and myself in #21 and hummm... it must have been in the Male vs. Masculinity thread I posted about my feelings about the female gender blended person concept.

Last edited by AtLast; 08-17-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #35
lisa93

How Do You Identify?:
femme

lisa93 is on a distinguished road

someone who identifies with more than 1 gender.
lisa93 is offline   Reply With Quote