Old 12-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation
Default Sing Off...

So my newest guilty pleasure is the NBC show "Sing Off" where acapella groups face off against each other. A bit American Idol-esque, but with a twist.

Is anyone else watching this? Is anyone else having as much fun with it as I am?
Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Switch, Comedian...G...whichever.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:
I'll take kinky & twisted for $200, Alex!!

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,450 Posts
Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

I read that title as "Signing Off". I was like "where is he going?"

Now, back on topic: Sorry Goofy, I avoid the singing shows.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_G View Post
I read that title as "Signing Off". I was like "where is he going?"

Now, back on topic: Sorry Goofy, I avoid the singing shows.
Sorry G, I'm not going anywhere!

I blame the Diva for getting me hooked on American Idol and by proxy, this new show!
Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Thanked 2,376 Times in 616 Posts
blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation

See, I have a bone to pick with THAT show...

I was dating this super fab guy, but now ALL I hear about is the Sing Off.

I mean, it's like he's obsessed or something...

Any advice before I sing MY swan song?

Old 12-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:

Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

Well, if you ask me, you should just stand in front of the tv and join in on whatever they are singing....but be sure to wear some cute shoes.....possibly ONLY shoes....that is the type of thing that gets my attention and makes me forget my name half the time!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Goofy needs to not blame The Diva for THIS show ......I had such high hopes for the show...the premise is good.....and there ARE groups who CAN sing quite well without instrumental accompaniment (a cappella)...... the Puerto Rican group is good..... innovative.

I'm not a fan of barbershop...........and I wanted spikey-haired-bleached-blonde group to be good, too....the judge who said they sounded "tinny" was dead on. Notice they put their lower voiced girl in the lead the 2nd night? Smart move.

A cappella is difficult at best to pull off. Musical snob that I am, I have a difficult time listening to some of this because it's often out of tune (re: on this show).

My 2 cents....
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:

I sing out of tune in the shower...I can tell because Vinnie howls.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #8
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I watched it last night for the first time, so I missed the premier. I love Nota (the Latin group) and the Beezelbubs (to be known from this point on as the Bubs because I don't want to have to worry about not spelling their name right).

The other groups had some good moments but those are my top two.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Goofy needs to not blame The Diva for THIS show ......I had such high hopes for the show...the premise is good.....and there ARE groups who CAN sing quite well without instrumental accompaniment (a cappella)...... the Puerto Rican group is good..... innovative.

I'm not a fan of barbershop...........and I wanted spikey-haired-bleached-blonde group to be good, too....the judge who said they sounded "tinny" was dead on. Notice they put their lower voiced girl in the lead the 2nd night? Smart move.

A cappella is difficult at best to pull off. Musical snob that I am, I have a difficult time listening to some of this because it's often out of tune (re: on this show).

My 2 cents....
Was it just me or did the pointy haired bleach-blond girl completely go off the cliff with her shrillness when attempting to hit the high notes? Her, I did not care for. The rest of the group was good to me.

I'm misunderestimated.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Was it just me or did the pointy haired bleach-blond girl completely go off the cliff with her shrillness when attempting to hit the high notes? Her, I did not care for. The rest of the group was good to me.

My take on HER is: she's been told she's all that and she thought she was (she IS outrageous, after all, and people are sometimes drawn to that and call it good)....howEVER, I think the judges brought her down a few notches and concentrated on the REAL talent of that group, the lower~voiced blonde, who has a voice which is easier on the ear.....

So all of that to say "no, it wasn't just you"!
The Following User Says Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #11
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

I sing all the time. Inside and out. Heck, my neighbor called the fire marshall on me thinking my deck was on fire when I had my chimnea going, and I was roasting marshmellows and all the furkids were laying on the lounge chair watching the birds, and Dino of course was waiting for his bite.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #12
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
My take on HER is: she's been told she's all that and she thought she was (she IS outrageous, after all, and people are sometimes drawn to that and call it good)....howEVER, I think the judges brought her down a few notches and concentrated on the REAL talent of that group, the lower~voiced blonde, who has a voice which is easier on the ear.....

So all of that to say "no, it wasn't just you"!
Oh, good. I did enjoy the lower-voiced blonde. She was really pretty too.

I think the wrong group went home last night, but I understand it's because they felt the SoCals "lost the song". What the Hell does that even mean? I know the song, have it on cd somewhere, and still recognized it and liked what they did with it. I think the blonde girl with the uneven eyebrows (I notice these things) sang MUCH better than the brunette, even though I liked the brunette's hair better.

Diva? Would you explain in a non-musical knowledge-knowing way for me what they were really saying?

I'm misunderestimated.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Oh, good. I did enjoy the lower-voiced blonde. She was really pretty too.

I think the wrong group went home last night, but I understand it's because they felt the SoCals "lost the song". What the Hell does that even mean? I know the song, have it on cd somewhere, and still recognized it and liked what they did with it. I think the blonde girl with the uneven eyebrows (I notice these things) sang MUCH better than the brunette, even though I liked the brunette's hair better.

Diva? Would you explain in a non-musical knowledge-knowing way for me what they were really saying?

I'm sorry, GemmieLicious....I didn't watch last night.....

But when a group "loses the song" ~ perhaps the judge meant the melody was lost somewhere.

Sometimes ~ whether it's because of nerves or just a poor arrangement ~ the melody gets buried. Stronger voices get toppy (I KNOW You know what THAT means)....maybe the melody has fallen to the weaker part of someone's range, while the harmonizing voice is in the stronger part of theirs.

Sometimes, when nerves take over, various voices might stop listening to their balance.....

So say You've got Your fingers on the keys of a piano and the left hand is hitting the keys harder than the right hand, so those lower notes are overpowering the upper notes.....did that make sense?

It can go the other way,too.....there can be SO much top that the bottom is drowned out, too.....

The a cappella sound is all about balance.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #14
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
I'm sorry, GemmieLicious....I didn't watch last night.....

But when a group "loses the song" ~ perhaps the judge meant the melody was lost somewhere.

Sometimes ~ whether it's because of nerves or just a poor arrangement ~ the melody gets buried. Stronger voices get toppy (I KNOW You know what THAT means)....maybe the melody has fallen to the weaker part of someone's range, while the harmonizing voice is in the stronger part of theirs.

Sometimes, when nerves take over, various voices might stop listening to their balance.....

So say You've got Your fingers on the keys of a piano and the left hand is hitting the keys harder than the right hand, so those lower notes are overpowering the upper notes.....did that make sense?

It can go the other way,too.....there can be SO much top that the bottom is drowned out, too.....

The a cappella sound is all about balance.
That does make sense! Thanks.

They sang "Hazy Shades of Winter" and it was good but there was a spot in the middle that seemed kinda 'messy' to me, but other singers had done the same thing before and didn't get fussed at too much for it.

*shrug*

I'm still not happy about them leaving though. I thought they were better overall than the Voices of Lee. Oh, and WHO is Lee? And why does s/he have all these voices???

I'm misunderestimated.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #15
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
That does make sense! Thanks.

They sang "Hazy Shades of Winter" and it was good but there was a spot in the middle that seemed kinda 'messy' to me, but other singers had done the same thing before and didn't get fussed at too much for it.

*shrug*

I'm still not happy about them leaving though. I thought they were better overall than the Voices of Lee. Oh, and WHO is Lee? And why does s/he have all these voices???

I'm not crazy about Lee, either.....they're too careful and their sound is boring to me......

I'm a real snob, aren't I?
Old 12-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #16
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
I'm not crazy about Lee, either.....they're too careful and their sound is boring to me......

Well, you have the training, so you can be as snobby as you like. I am, and I have absolutely NO training!

I'm misunderestimated.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #17
Pixie

How Do You Identify?:
Equal Opportunity Friend
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girl
Relationship Status:
in service

Thanked 4,104 Times in 1,332 Posts
Pixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Well I think you have total right to be....and I agree with you....I don't like them...I would have much rathered Socal stayed and stepped it up a notch...

-Pixie-

Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:22 AM   #18
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieStars View Post

Well I think you have total right to be....and I agree with you....I don't like them...I would have much rathered Socal stayed and stepped it up a notch...
Me too!

I'm misunderestimated.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #19
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Ok....I just want Goofy & Gemmie to know that I'm watching Sing Off right now.....

This opening number is HAWT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jus' sayin'....<smile>

Old 12-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Ok....I just want Goofy & Gemmie to know that I'm watching Sing Off right now.....

This opening number is HAWT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jus' sayin'....<smile>

I won't see it for a few hours yet. Don't tell me who wins!

I'm misunderestimated.