Old 05-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #41
TickledPink

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Girly Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss Pink
Relationship Status:
Shacked UP

Location: The Holt-Mason Chateau Decherd/I'm a NashVegas Girl!
Thanked 1,998 Times in 607 Posts
TickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST Reputation

I cringe when I hear the word "straight woman" only because I'm sick of everyone assuming I am. I've heard it over, and over, "but you look straight." WTF does straight look like????

As far as butches with straight women, femmes with straight women, straight women with straight women, whatever floats your ducky!

Welcome to BFP!
TickledPink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TickledPink For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #42
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Knight in shining armour.
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Merlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST Reputation

Here the bf community isn't as good as there,it's a really small community. Alot of it has been aided through the net. Due to the distance between cities bf folk live things are very fractured.

I've tried to date mainstream lesbians but they shun me. I guess my look and any whiff of testosterone puts them off.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #43
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Merlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST Reputation

For the record am fed up of being a joke to the mainstream lesbian community,it's amazing what homophobia is rife in the gay community xx
Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #44
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Merlin,

I believe I saw someone else make this same suggestion to you that I am making now. Often times, it is best to check out the forum, read the various threads, and get a feel for the general terminology used, mentality, personalities etc. on the forum.

I've witnessed a few come charging in on forums before starting thread after thread without realizing that they may be speaking in ways that are offensive to the group at large and then they get their feelings hurt and are embarrassed because the group takes them to task. Slow down, give everyone an opportunity to get to know you, and you us.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #45
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Noted.

Like I said ice breaker.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #46
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Here the bf community isn't as good as there,it's a really small community. Alot of it has been aided through the net. Due to the distance between cities bf folk live things are very fractured.

I've tried to date mainstream lesbians but they shun me. I guess my look and any whiff of testosterone puts them off.
I think the same or similar can be said for most places in the world. The bf community as well as other less visible communities in the LGBT spectrum have definitely benefited a lot from internet communication.

Since it came up at the end of this post as well, you might find that what many people (whether b/f or others within the spectrum who take interest in gender issues and how sexism and heteronormativity can be damaging) will take issue with the equation of masculinity with being male. For example, in your first post you ask whether "straight women" might like butches as having the "best of both worlds" with "male looks" and "female anatomy." I think that kind of equation of masculine = male is something some might react negatively to, and admit it got a bit of an eyeroll from me as well. A butch woman who sees masculinity as unique from male probably isn't going to consider her own masculinity a "male look." Same with others who might id as genderqueer, third gender or who generally consider sexuality and gender as fluid rather restricted to a specific set of binaries.

Like others have suggested, it might be best for you to do a bit of reading, not just on this forum but in general on gender issues within the queer spectrum. Not sure if you've read Judith Halberstam's Female Masculinity but a good briefer on the subject if you're interested.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #47
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

The BF community is not that great here either, we find each other through the web here too.

Quote:
For the record am fed up of being a joke to the mainstream lesbian community,it's amazing what homophobia is rife in the gay community xx
It really is sad I agree.

I do have to say I have been to London 7 or 8 times, and never seen a Butch on the street (and I look lol), which I do in my wayyyy smaller city here in the US. No, I have not been to the Lesbian bar, was not sure what the Femme reception would be like. It's gotten better here over the past few years, but one never knows.

Yes, it becomes tiresome to be looked at as a freak by mainstream Lesbians. My "straight" friends seem to understand way better than my Gay friends.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #48
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

I don't see the issue with us talking about straight people, I mean, they talk about us. Every young female star that matters is talking about going bi and its 'cool' now for straight men to snog. Talking about straight people is no.big.deal.

Statistically a homosexual woman is only 75% gay or more. This says to me that a straight woman can be 75% straight and still call herself a 100% straight woman, even if she's shagging dykes. I don't assume any straight woman who sleeps with a femme, boi or butch is secretly on the verge of coming out, sometimes they just want a bit of variety.

I was a straight girl once and slept with loads of boys, my first real 'lesbian' crush was with a bisexual girl who preferred boys. I ended up with a 60% lesbian and she ended up with a boy, yet I still wonder why straight women see lesbians as being under the radar.

As for the looking straight thing *sigh* What does that even mean?? I look straight to straight women, bisexual to straight men and bi/gay/queer/straight to lesbians and gay men. I figure people just see what they wanna see.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #49
Daktari

Quote:

Where do you live mate? I think the bf community isn't as bad or as small as you're painting it here. I have loads of bf mates... ok so I don't see them all the time and keep in touch via the bf sites and facebook but they are there if you seek them out. I'm lucky I guess in that I live an hour or so away from one of the massive (Northern) cities (Manchester) where there's a bf and kink community to go play out with whenever I want.

Not sure why you're not finding bf folks, have you signed up to the UK bf sites - of which there are 3 to my knowledge.

apocalipstic - sometimes I feel my straight male mates understand where I'm coming from much better than my mainstream lezzer mates too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #50
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
Female Masculinity but a good briefer on the subject if you're interested.
Oh. I would add to read this with an open mind! S/he has some really debatable things to say about FTM's and femmes.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #51
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintease View Post
I don't see the issue with us talking about straight people, I mean, they talk about us. Every young female star that matters is talking about going bi and its 'cool' now for straight men to snog. Talking about straight people is no.big.deal.

Statistically a homosexual woman is only 75% gay or more. This says to me that a straight woman can be 75% straight and still call herself a 100% straight woman, even if she's shagging dykes. I don't assume any straight woman who sleeps with a femme, boi or butch is secretly on the verge of coming out, sometimes they just want a bit of variety.

I was a straight girl once and slept with loads of boys, my first real 'lesbian' crush was with a bisexual girl who preferred boys. I ended up with a 60% lesbian and she ended up with a boy, yet I still wonder why straight women see lesbians as being under the radar.

As for the looking straight thing *sigh* What does that even mean?? I look straight to straight women, bisexual to straight men and bi/gay/queer/straight to lesbians and gay men. I figure people just see what they wanna see.
I love the word "shag", makes me grin! ")

Some of us look like straight women and have been told so all our adult lives. I get told I look like I teach Sunday School. lol. No matter what I wear or do I look really feminine.

Now, I do get your point about how does gay or lesbian look! A lesbian must look like me, since I am one! lol But, its usually a shock to people and I have to tell them in weird awkward ways like "pass the salsa, I'm a Lesbian".

ps. no prob talking about straight people from me lol
Old 05-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #52
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
How does gay or lesbian look?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #53
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
We can look any and every way!

But some of us get told we look straight non-stop. It is annoying. lol.

Maybe if I got the Bieber haircut and hat? thought at 47, it would probably look silly on me.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #54
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Oh. I would add to read this with an open mind! S/he has some really debatable things to say about FTM's and femmes.
In a Queer Time and Place: Transgender Bodies and Subcultural Lives is a great read in addition to Female Masculinity. It clarifies her current thoughts on some of those issues. She writes an awesome analysis of Boys Don't Cry and other trans films.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #55
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Thanked 11,917 Times in 2,700 Posts
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

It's a Fascination ~ It's an Infatuation

Women who identify as straight are not immune to attractions of all sorts.

Being attracted to someone does not mean ya wanna 'shag' em.

Appreciating the aesthetics of another Human Being; I just don't that because
I'm a biggo Queer ass, slow shuffling, Gender Neutral Butch ~ frosted
with Hippy and Sprinkled with cannabis n bubbles...that my instincts
automatically hone in only on the attractive
features of non-straight folks.

There are some purty Mens out there, I'm secure enough to let em know
that *
insert evil 'hood of mah truck' twinkle in the eyes*. Don't mean I wanna
fuck em, unless they have been bad and bend over the Impala hood.

heehee.

Straight women can be attracted to a Butch,
without equating them to the category of straight Male.

Also...doesn't mean they wanna 'shag or be shagged'.

Hell I forgot where I was going with all this.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #56
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

True!

I am a Lesbian, but I do think some men are attractive.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #57
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
True!

I am a Lesbian, but I do think some men are attractive.
Me too, particularly when I'm ovulating (tick, tock and all that..) They have to be very pretty to catch my eye however.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #58
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Never had any sort of clock counting down internally.
sorry if anyone has been offended ..

I am a stubborn ass Aries .. Gob goes into gear and brain still asleep.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #59
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Me too, particularly when I'm ovulating (tick, tock and all that..) They have to be very pretty to catch my eye however.
Very very very very very!
Old 05-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #60
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

I truly find the dilemna over what one looks like to another quite humorous at times. Who the heck cares what you look like to anyone else, straight, queer, bi, trans, etcetcetc? Who cares? What ever happened in being secure enough in yourself to know what/who you are and to hell with what anyone else thinks? I personally don't give a heck what anyone comes to decide who/what I am by the way I look, I KNOW what I am, their opinion matters not, it doesn't concern me, they have nothing to do with my life. If they do have something to do with my life then they either accept me for who I am and who I say I am or they move the heck on, life is too short to worry over such trivial matters.

It's funny, my wife id'd as a soft butch before we got together, then we got together, then she realized that was not who she thought she was and she id'd as femme and changed her whole appearance (and not at my hedging either), then after we were together 6 months or so she came to me and told me she no longer id'd as a lesbian but as a "straight" woman in relation to who I am. That was her evolution, her chosen evolution. I loved her no matter how she id'd. We couldn't have cared less how anyone else saw us and pre-determined how we id'd. It simply isn't that important if you are secure in who you are and how you id, straight, queer, bi, trans, what have you. Just being the best you that you can be is the best revenge on society as a whole. Society doesn't define me, I do. So therefore I have no issue talking about straight, queer, trans, lesbian, etcetcetc.

But I know how you feel Merlin, lol, the lesbian scene around here totally ignore, reject me and I'm fine with that. When they come with their hand out I just laugh and go on.
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post: