Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Domme
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
Engaged 10/12/18

Thanked 28,303 Times in 6,989 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Just found a really great condition nearly 50 year old hardback edition of O'Henry's....titled Tales of O'Henry!

I love the Gift of the Magi esp!
Old 06-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #3102
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,071 Times in 6,757 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I just started.reading The Revenant by Michael Punke.

Its.the book version of the very excellent Leonardo diCaprio movie.. The book is also excellent and I'm half way through it already

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #3103
Kätzchen
~*~*~*~*~

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 23,805 Times in 7,567 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Talking A Naked Singularity (Sergio De LaPava, 2008).

Casi, an child of Columbian immigrants, lives in Brooklyn and is an brilliant public defender who practices law in Manhattan.

I will be reading this crime novel, when I go over to my BFF's, to house sit the pets and property, while they vacation in Maui.

To learn more about this book, I've included an link to the book from Powell's Books (see link no. 1), and an exceptionally well written review published by The Guardian (see link no. 2).

Link no. 1:
http://www.powells.com/book/a-naked-...226141794/72-1

Link no. 2:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...io-pava-review
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #3104
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 17,759 Times in 3,901 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I didn't know where to put this, so I am choosing here. There is an article in today's NY Times about Stone Butch Blues called "The Best Book for 2018 Is 25 Years Old." https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/2...years-old.html

I should reread it. I follow Minnie-Bruce Pratt on FB. It's worth it. She publishes poems most Thursdays and has a lot of links to working class and union politics.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:48 AM   #3105
dark_crystal

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 23,838 Times in 4,136 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post

I have now started GNOMON, by Nick Harkaway
To call Gnomon a work of genius is not entirely a compliment. Nick Harkaway’s epic, unwieldy, unpredictable new novel is outwardly brainy and pridefully digressive, and the distance it projects from its reader feels excruciatingly deliberate. Harkaway (Tigerman) wears his deep, fabulous vocabulary on his sleeve, and he’s unafraid to ruminate on the seemingly irrelevant in great detail. The sheer intelligence of the book feels almost beside the point; it’s to be taken as something of a given.

If Gnomon is not exactly a departure from Harkaway’s previous work, it’s at least his rawest effort, a window into his writerly impulses and motivations — into what separates him from the pack. It’s why, at first glance, Gnomon nicely stands out as a dystopian novel that manages to approach the genre uniquely and push it forward. The book arrives stateside after a year in which 1984 and The Handmaid’s Tale skyrocketed on best-seller lists and found popular adaptations in theater and television, respectively. More broadly, the genre has felt appropriately ubiquitous in a tumultuous and unsettling political era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Ooooh, I just read a good book review about Gnomon by Mark Harkaway, in The Guardian.

It looks like an good book to read and I hope to find it at Powell's.

LINK: https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ment-110011379
I finished GNOMON last night. It was loooooooong and a little confusing and got a little slow toward the end but i enjoyed it. I have read at least one of his other novels that i liked better, though

Now i am reading FORGED IN CRISIS (Nancy Koehn) for book club and FADING DUSK (Melissa Giorgio) for fun.

FORGED IN CRISIS:
This “engaging, unusually rewarding book…[which] will foster a new appreciation for effective leadership and prompt many readers to lament the lack of it in the world today” (Kirkus Reviews, starred review), by celebrated Harvard Business School historian Nancy Koehn, examines five masters of crisis: explorer Ernest Shackleton; Abraham Lincoln; abolitionist Frederick Douglass; Nazi-resisting clergyman Dietrich Bonhoeffer; and environmental crusader Rachel Carson.
FADING DUSK
In the gritty city of Dusk, seventeen-year-old Irina makes her living as the street magician Bantheir’s assistant. The job isn’t glamorous, but she loves the crowds, the shows, and most of all, the illusion of magic. But Irina’s world is shattered the night she is arrested and charged as Bantheir’s accomplice to murder—murder by magic.

Real magic, the kind that’s been forbidden since the old wars.

Irina finds the idea of flashy showman Bantheir using actual magic to kill someone laughable, but she’s the only one who sees how ridiculous the claim is. But how can she convince everyone Bantheir is innocent when they’ve already made up their minds?

i am reading that second one because the author is a friend of a friend. I like to support indies and that friend has good taste so i bought it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dark_crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dark_crystal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 07:03 PM   #3106
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 23,478 Times in 10,293 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default re-reading My Abandonment..

A father and his 13 year-old daughter are living in a paradisiacal existence in a vast urban park in Portland Oregon when a small mistake derails their lives forever.

Today the movie Leave No Trace opened to rave reviews and it's based on this book...
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 07:13 PM   #3107
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Engaged to JD.

Thanked 42,324 Times in 7,777 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I just finished "The Outsider" (the new Stephen King) and it was entertaining...Classic King but a good background listen while cleaning the house.

Also just wrapped "Barracoon: The Story of the Last Black Cargo" by Zora Neale Hurston. VERY good read.

I just downloaded a new audiobook and one for the Kindle since I have 2 going almost all the time.
The audiobook is "Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis"

And one for the Kindle: "Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg"

OMG! "Hillbilly Elegy" was so good!! Highly recommended! Tough to read in some parts but very familiar and on point.

I am making my way through "Notorious RBG" but just started "The Woman in the Window" by AJ Finn and it's very reminiscent of Alfred Hitchcock and film noir. Love it!
Buy ButchFemmePlanet Merch Here:

Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #3108
RebelDyke

How Do You Identify?:
OSB, cisgender woman, Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her/Hers
Relationship Status:
single. and that is not a lie either!

Location: Your guess is as good as mine. Hopefully westcoast soon!
RebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST Reputation

hands you my Special Education Law books..both federal and state governments...lol

you want hitchcock??? there ya go
RebelDyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:27 PM   #3109
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
A father and his 13 year-old daughter are living in a paradisiacal existence in a vast urban park in Portland Oregon when a small mistake derails their lives forever.

Today the movie Leave No Trace opened to rave reviews and it's based on this book...
I don't recall how I had heard of this book ( My Abandonment) originally perhaps someone posted it this thread even, but it's a quick read at only 240 pages and very interesting..

The movie is directed by Debra Granik and stars Ben Foster AND Thomasin Harcourt Mckenzie.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:35 PM   #3110
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
must be love on the brain

Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,218 Posts
cricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputation

cricket26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:51 AM   #3111
MissItalianDiva

How Do You Identify?:
Miss Twiggy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and that shit doesn't sound atrocious!
Relationship Status:
divorce happens..all that glitters ain't gold

Thanked 7,147 Times in 1,788 Posts
MissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST Reputation

Think Differently Live Differently by Bob Hemp
MissItalianDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissItalianDiva For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #3112
Tuff Stuff

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Creatures at Play

Thanked 1,207 Times in 471 Posts
Tuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST Reputation

Anything by David Paulides. Also checking out his stuff on YouTube.
I have been very interested about missing people lately ever since a woman that I knew disappeared without a trace a few months back. She had been walking a route she normally took every other evening,this time with a friends dog.She never made it home this time.There was a huge search for her and lots of media attention.The dog came back home a couple days later. The case went cold after a few weeks and now everyone that knew her calls it a tragic mystery because the missing woman was friendly and did lots of charity work in the community and who would want to hurt such a person.Sad when I think about her because I knew her for ten years.No body, no clues, she just vanished off the face of the earth.It disturbs me greatly what happen to her.
Tuff Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #3113
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Default Sharp Objects....

because the mini series starts Sunday and most times the book gives more detailed information than the television production! Even tho this book ended up on the New York Times best sellers list, I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy it or not..time will tell!

Reporter Camille Preaker returns to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls; Camille finds herself identifying with the young victims while trying to solve a psychological puzzle from her past.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #3114
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

The Hundred-Year House by Rebecca Makkai

The novel begins in 1999 and moves backwards through the history of Laurelfield, a large stately home belonging to the Devohrs. The house has morphed over the years from family residence to a beloved art colony and back again. The first and longest section of the novel deals with Laurelfield's most contemporary permutation.

I am about half way in and I'm enjoying this book immensely............
Old 07-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #3115
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,194 Times in 2,340 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

The Happiness Curve: Why Life Gets Better After 50

By Jonathan Rauch

https://g.co/kgs/v9F91r

Interesting, but still too early to give it a thorough review.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #3116
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,071 Times in 6,757 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I started.reading Hiking Through by Paul Stutzman

It's about a man's travels on the Appalachian Trail and his reasons for making the journey.

He's a little preachy and God-dy but I think the story is worth the side bars.

cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #3117
Kätzchen
~*~*~*~*~

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 23,805 Times in 7,567 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

Mamen Sánchez, author of NYT's bestseller Under The Tuscan Sun, recently had her book The Altogether Unexpected Disappearance Of Atticus Craftsman, translated from Spanish to English, two years ago.

I loved the first book I read, so I picked up TAUDOAC @ Powell's today, for my next summer beach read.

Here's an link to an review of her latest book:

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...ce-of-atticus/
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #3118
Reach

How Do You Identify?:
With An ID
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy
Relationship Status:
Single/Daddi to one.

Thanked 1,782 Times in 571 Posts
Reach Has the BEST ReputationReach Has the BEST ReputationReach Has the BEST ReputationReach Has the BEST ReputationReach Has the BEST ReputationReach Has the BEST ReputationReach Has the BEST ReputationReach Has the BEST ReputationReach Has the BEST ReputationReach Has the BEST ReputationReach Has the BEST Reputation

Title: Lust & Wonder

Author: Augusten Burroughs

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/b...burroughs.html

A great memoir by one of my favorite authors. If you like memoirs, this is a wonderful read.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #3119
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
witchy
Relationship Status:
his favorite

Thanked 16,615 Times in 4,529 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

i'm about to begin "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks"

by Rebecca Skloot
The Following User Says Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 04:50 AM   #3120
dark_crystal

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 23,838 Times in 4,136 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

With eyes:
THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST, a coming-of-age teen novel by Emily M. Danforth published in 2012. The novel's protagonist is Cameron Post, a 12-year-old Montana girl who is discovering her own homosexuality. After her parents die in a car crash, she is sent to live with her conservative aunt. She develops a relationship with her best friend and is sent to a conversion camp.

According to author Emily Danforth, the novel was influenced by the 2005 Zach Stark controversy, where teenager Zach Stark was sent to a de-gaying camp run by Love In Action after coming out to his parents.
With ears:
WEAPONS OF MATH DESTRUCTION is a 2016 American book about the societal impact of algorithms, written by Cathy O'Neil. It explores the how some big data algorithms are increasingly used in ways that reinforces preexisting inequality. It was longlisted for the 2016 National Book Award for Nonfiction.

dark_crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dark_crystal For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading