Notices

Old 03-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #141
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
The Chicago Flower & Garden Show which takes place at Navy Pier March 20 - 24th. This event has been going since 1847 when the Chicago Horticultural Society hosted its first exhibition of Fruits and Flowers. It boasts a total of 170,000 square footage filled with vendors, landscapers, etc etc

There are also events such as a photography class showing how to use your smartphone to take and share flower pics and a "potting party" class where you can create your own container garden filled with colorful blooms.

Weather permitting, I'll be in Chicago around this time and can't wait to attend this..
Someone informs me also that Macy's has a flower show around this time in March! I'll post when I either research this or obtain more info~
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 07:30 PM   #142
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Yippie it's finally spring! So excited I wet my plants.......
Old 03-31-2019, 07:11 AM   #143
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Helpful tips from Sunset Magazine's April issue..

When plotting vegetable bed group plants with similar irrigation needs:you'll save water and keep crops healthy.

Basil, cucumbers, and tomatoes all need consistent water. Herbs such as rosemary, sage, and thyme need only occasional water once they're established.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #144
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

spring.....

bring May
Old 05-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #145
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default 5 Essential Spring Gardening Tips from HuffingtonPost...

Clean out the garden.

It's time to clean your garden and remove all the debris (leaves, leftover snow, etc.) Get rid of weeds, making sure that you get the roots so they won't grow back.

Revitalize the soil.

Because your soil is likely dried out and packed after winter, it's time to add moisture. Add organic material like compost or manure.

Trim old plants.

Plants that survived the winter will need to be pruned so they'll grow anew in the spring. Make sure to wait until mid-April or May in case there's an unexpected freeze. Blooming plants should be pruned right after they bloom to avoid cutting off future flowers.

Add mulch.

In addition to fertilizers and organic materials, you should think about adding mulch to your flower beds and garden. One to three inches of mulch helps to prevent weeds and diseases. It also keeps the moisture in the garden and maintains the temperature.

Plant new flowers and shrubs.

Once you've gotten the garden in shape and handled all of the old plants, it's time to turn your attention to new plants. Some recommendations for good spring plants include:

Pansies
Snapdragons
Vegetables like lettuce, peas and arugula
Redbuds
Transplanting tomato plants from indoor pots to outside
Lilacs
Tulips
You should lean towards planting more perennials rather than annuals, because annuals have to be replaced every year. This means you're making an investment in plants that will die every year and require replacement. Perennials, on the other hand, last for two to three years.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #146
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Several items we planted are growing like weeds, others not so much.....
Old 06-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #147
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

I still have some Sunset mags my mom saved from the 60's and 70's. They're a hoot... the ladies... wives no doubt... are dressed to the nines... to garden! lol

Quote:

When plotting vegetable bed group plants with similar irrigation needs:you'll save water and keep crops healthy.

Basil, cucumbers, and tomatoes all need consistent water. Herbs such as rosemary, sage, and thyme need only occasional water once they're established.
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #148
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

Ditto here.

I just added a bunch of mulch to the front flower bed. I went with the traditional red much and then saw a house with black mulch! Damn! It looks so cooler... more striking! Any pluses or minuses to black mulch?

Quote:

Several items we planted are growing like weeds, others not so much.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #149
Amulette

How Do You Identify?:
Ma chérie, a sweet thing.
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine
Relationship Status:
Following the scent of flowers.

Amulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST Reputation
Default I would like a night blooming garden!

A lot of people don’t realize you can grow plants and flowers that bloom at night. Cultivating a magical moon garden is a great way to get in touch with nature, and it provides a beautiful and fragrant backdrop for your moonlight rituals in the summer. If you plant these lovelies close to your house, you can open the windows and take advantage of their aromas as you sleep.

Many night-blooming plants are white and give a luminous appearance in the moonlight.

If you plant them in a circle or a crescent shape, when they bloom, you’ll have the moon herself right there “as above, so below.”

NIGHT BLOOMING PLANTS

Moonflower: Yes, it should be painfully obvious, but the Moonflower does bloom at night. It releases a slightly lemony scent when it opens up, and during the day the white flowers are tightly shut. Some species of this climbing plant, a cousin of the Morning Glory, can get up to eight feet long*. The flowers, when open, are around 5 – 6″ in diameter.

Evening Primrose: This perennial spreads rapidly, and can cover a lot of ground for you. The pale pinkish-white flowers open at dusk and release a sweet aroma.

Night Phlox: these pretties open up at dusk, and have a fragrance reminiscent of honey or vanilla.

Evening Stock: the tiny purple and pink flowers aren’t very fancy, but they smell divine when they open at night.

Angel’s Trumpet: Another vine, this annual spreads like crazy. It is trumpet-shaped, white flowers have a bell-like appearance when open.
Night Gladiolus: this plant isn’t nocturnal, but that’s when the creamy yellow flowers smell the strongest — it’s a very spicy scent that’s a glorious addition to any night garden.

Moonflowers only bloom at night, and the bloom is wilted by morning. They have a really sweet, heavenly smell…

by Patti Wigington of www.thoughtco.com
Amulette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amulette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2019, 07:41 PM   #150
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Tip about keeping plants nutrient rich during heat.......

Compost teas help! Companies such as Malibu Compost sell packets that make up to 20 gallons.

We had success using Bu's Brew Biodynamic last year during our unusally hot summer.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #151
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Gardening for fall and winter.......

Sat July 20th Sky Nursey 18528 Aurora Ave N Shoreline WA Free

Wondering what to plant for your fall and winter food harvest

Come enjoy the day receiving tips and advice from the experts...

Sidebar: If you can't make it there perhaps check in your local area..
Old 07-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #152
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Edible Plants Walk.........

Sat Jul 27th 10 a.m. Mercer Slough Environmental Education Center 1625 118th Ave S.E. Bellevue WA

See the difference between blackberry plants, intro to plants that can be eaten.

For more info phone : 1-206-443-2925
Old 07-27-2019, 02:26 AM   #153
Esme nha Maire

How Do You Identify?:
Tomboyish eccentric antique femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 2,091 Times in 541 Posts
Esme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Ditto here.

I just added a bunch of mulch to the front flower bed. I went with the traditional red much and then saw a house with black mulch! Damn! It looks so cooler... more striking! Any pluses or minuses to black mulch?
Lyte, my knowledge is theoretical from the degree I'm taking rather than from experience, but yes. Apparently darker mulches will help absorb heat and warm the ground (so good in cooler climates), whilst lighter ones will cool the ground (better in warmer climates; some plants' roots do not like too much warmth) - and reflect light back up to plants helping their photosynthesis. At night, black mulches will allow heat to escape faster, whilst lighter mulches will retain heat better. Its horses for courses as to what is best for your particular situation.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:57 PM   #154
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

Thank you! Well, it's hot as hell in Texas during the summer time, the time one usually refreshes the layer of mulch. Fortunately, I've got nothing but ornamental grasses growing in that bed so they can stand the heat. Next year... black mulch it is!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esme nha Maire View Post
Lyte, my knowledge is theoretical from the degree I'm taking rather than from experience, but yes. Apparently darker mulches will help absorb heat and warm the ground (so good in cooler climates), whilst lighter ones will cool the ground (better in warmer climates; some plants' roots do not like too much warmth) - and reflect light back up to plants helping their photosynthesis. At night, black mulches will allow heat to escape faster, whilst lighter mulches will retain heat better. Its horses for courses as to what is best for your particular situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #155
Chad
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Loved Caregiver

Thanked 20,326 Times in 5,678 Posts
Chad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST Reputation
Default Gardening

I had a late bloomer show up this week. A beautiful red rose, so pretty and fragrant. I wish that I knew how to post the photo.

Definitely made my day.

Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chad For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 05:05 AM   #156
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Christmas Tree substitutes..........

If you're not wanting to go through all the work of putting up a tree why not consider investing in something that can double as a tree and then afterwards a plant. I found this idea in the Dec issue of Chicago Magazine and stores there where to purchase them but no doubt they'd be nurseries in your area that carried them as well.

Norfolk Island Pine..This is basically a Christmas tree masquerading as a plant. The fronds are not very strong but if you place ornaments (light in weight) closer to the trunk they should hold.

Autograph Tree...Scratch messages into the waxy leaves. Guests can leave wishes of their New Year's goals.

Umbrella Tree...This is a shrubby so if you want more of a tree-like look prune the leaves at the bottom.

Peruvian Apple Cactus...Wrap it in LED lights, which don't produce a lot of heat. You can cover the plant all the way, it's dormant during winter.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:03 AM   #157
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
If you're not wanting to go through all the work of putting up a tree why not consider investing in something that can double as a tree and then afterwards a plant. I found this idea in the Dec issue of Chicago Magazine and stores there where to purchase them but no doubt they'd be nurseries in your area that carried them as well.

Norfolk Island Pine..This is basically a Christmas tree masquerading as a plant. The fronds are not very strong but if you place ornaments (light in weight) closer to the trunk they should hold.

Autograph Tree...Scratch messages into the waxy leaves. Guests can leave wishes of their New Year's goals.

Umbrella Tree...This is a shrubby so if you want more of a tree-like look prune the leaves at the bottom.

Peruvian Apple Cactus...Wrap it in LED lights, which don't produce a lot of heat. You can cover the plant all the way, it's dormant during winter.

Norfolk Island Pine
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 06:08 AM   #158
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Autograph tree
Old 11-23-2019, 06:22 AM   #159
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Umbrella tree........
Old 11-23-2019, 06:29 AM   #160
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Peruvian Apple Cactus..

Tags
community, hobbies, home & gardens, joy