Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > LGBT Activism, Allies, ETC.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation
Default A World Without Hate~LGBT Community

Just imagine some date in time; the future perhaps the not too distant future. That all laws are struck down that deny us full equality in every country in the world.

There is no doubt in my mind that this will happen. Perhaps not complete equality in the entire world but I predict it in developed countries for sure and probably in my lifetime. It took one session of the Supreme Court to wipe out sodomy laws all across the USA. Many southern states still had these laws on the books and they were being enforced against our community only. It could take a session this year to strike down DOMA.

What do you envision this world to be like? What changes will take place in our community; if any?

Do you think it will change how we see ourselves? Our relationships? How we feel about each other? Our workplaces? What will happen to our elderly? Our youth?

I am interested in what people think about our future.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I love this concept, but I'm more cynical than you are kats. I think the only way that this is going to happen..say... in the next century is if alien life exists, takes an interest in the planet and takes over or wipes us out.

Sad, but true.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

I think it would be wonderful if our community had full equal rights under the law. Rights can be legislated.

One cannot legislate acceptance, understanding, tolerance and such. Im thinking eradicating "hate" in its various forms is likely to be a longer, slower process.

I have seen many positive changes occuring within my lifetime and I expect more and more will happen as time goes on. It will be an interesting process and fascinating to watch as it unfolds.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

In France before WWII; our community was completely accepted. Not so in the US or England either; hence the trials and tribulations of Oscar Wilde early in the 20th Century. In many cultures on our planet we are revered as having healing powers. But all too sadly in other countries we are still hunted down and killed as in a few countries in Africa like Uganda. Still I have hopes.
What I was looking for was to open our imaginations and picture a world were we were just regular people....
Old 10-17-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Okay, how's this?

It would be nice for Organic to be looking up local YMCAs online and broaching a possible Couple membership and for the first question out of my mouth to not be "Would they accept us?"

I'd like a world in which thoughts like that weren't the first to enter my noggin, or be there at all.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsarecool View Post
In France before WWII; our community was completely accepted. Not so in the US or England either; hence the trials and tribulations of Oscar Wilde early in the 20th Century. In many cultures on our planet we are revered as having healing powers. But all too sadly in other countries we are still hunted down and killed as in a few countries in Africa like Uganda. Still I have hopes.
What I was looking for was to open our imaginations and picture a world were we were just regular people....
There is someplace we are revered as having healing powers? Im learning something new. Where is this and what is it we heal?

I think I am missing what you are looking for cuz I do consider myself to be just regular people.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Many Native American people consider or considered gays as holy men. Not sure about women though or the rest of our community.

What I visualize for the future is a place where a person does not even have to come out to others. It won't matter. It does still matter in so many places. I visualize our being able to marry (or not) with all the fanfare and perks straight people receive and the honor and acceptance they receive when they decide to marry.

I visualize families just accepting their children for who they are without condition. We all know this is not happening. I visualize a time when young people do not feel so despondent about their sexuality they feel there is nothing left but to take their own lives. I want to see our families be as open and respectful of our relationships that they receive.

I want to see us being able to work in a stable environment where we don't have to fear the reaction of our co-worker's and superiors. Where we can place photos of our families on our desks with pride and admiration of our families like our straight workers and bosses get.

I believe that when all this comes to pass; we will have stronger relationships with all this undue stress placed upon the relationship. I believe there would be less addictions in our community, depression and suicides.

Perhaps in some parts of the US (and the rest of the world) this is a reality. But in most of the US it is not.

Just a few thoughts on the matter.....
Old 10-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #8
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Okay, how's this?

It would be nice for Organic to be looking up local YMCAs online and broaching a possible Couple membership and for the first question out of my mouth to not be "Would they accept us?"

I'd like a world in which thoughts like that weren't the first to enter my noggin, or be there at all.
Gemme, you get me!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Okay, how's this?

Christie and I had a conversation a couple months ago about this very thing. A popular fitness club based in Richmond had denied a lesbian couple a "family membership", which created a bit of a stir in the LGBT community.

Fortunately, not all of the health and fitness clubs are so close minded about a) what is a family or b) who deserves to be "healthy".

Here is a pretty nifty article about it:

http://www.gayrva.com/2010/08/03/ame...esbian-couple/

Not sure if the YWCA system is operated by different rules in different parts of the country, but at least in Richmond, we are family!
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Christie and I had a conversation a couple months ago about this very thing. A popular fitness club based in Richmond had denied a lesbian couple a "family membership", which created a bit of a stir in the LGBT community.

Fortunately, not all of the health and fitness clubs are so close minded about a) what is a family or b) who deserves to be "healthy".

Here is a pretty nifty article about it:

http://www.gayrva.com/2010/08/03/ame...esbian-couple/

Not sure if the YWCA system is operated by different rules in different parts of the country, but at least in Richmond, we are family!
these are the kinds of issues that was on my mind. For some of us; it can be a daily event and in the end how can it not have an affect on us in some way. I think it does whether it is right there on the surface or down deeper in our subcon mind. And over time, this can have a lasting affect on our relationships with self, family, friends, work, etc.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

It Gets Better Videos from FB friends. Tear jerkers!

http://boldstrokesbooksauthors.wordp...t-gets-better/
Old 12-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #12
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsarecool View Post
Just imagine some date in time; the future perhaps the not too distant future. That all laws are struck down that deny us full equality in every country in the world.

There is no doubt in my mind that this will happen. Perhaps not complete equality in the entire world but I predict it in developed countries for sure and probably in my lifetime. It took one session of the Supreme Court to wipe out sodomy laws all across the USA. Many southern states still had these laws on the books and they were being enforced against our community only. It could take a session this year to strike down DOMA.

What do you envision this world to be like? What changes will take place in our community; if any?

Do you think it will change how we see ourselves? Our relationships? How we feel about each other? Our workplaces? What will happen to our elderly? Our youth?

I am interested in what people think about our future.
It's pretty amazing all the rights us in America have gained since this posting!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #13
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,960 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
It's pretty amazing all the rights us in America have gained since this posting!
But we really haven’t gained more than marriage equality!

People can still refuse services, jobs, housing...children can be thrown out of their homes and no one locks up their parents, our transgender brothers and sisters are being murdered in the streets.

In 8-9 years these things have not changed because of fear; fear of someone different, someone who dares to march to their own drummer. Do you want to know when we will be fully accepted into this world? Ask our citizens of color when they got acceptance, add a hundred years, and maybe we will as well.

Unless people keep waving their bibles at us...and then all bets are off.

***This post is not directed at you homoe, except that it was a starting point for my rant.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #14
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Hate crimes are up and continue to rise further as the "Alt-Right" rears it's ugly reactionary head.

Yes, we can blame Trump, but what was the driving force behind his election? How could the right wing become so powerful without our knowledge?

These thugs aren't some aliens from outer space. They are mostly hometown boys and men who are attempting a push back. I, for one won't go back to the way things were.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #15
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,265 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

So here's my theory: Want change: breed with a homophobe, an antisemite, a racist...seems to me the only way they get it is when it becomes part of family, their price to pay...and even then it's dicey but better than no chance at all.

Bigots seldom if ever change. Like pigs they just bury their ugly snouts deep into the shit hoping no-one notices.

Almost 80 years later and all that breast beating about the Holocaust, "never again" etc, the antisemitism drum beats are every where, even in leftist, Feminist, anti racist movements begun by Jews and heavily supported by Jews.

Ok, think the Jews owe more than anyone else does to making this world just? WTF were you when 6 million Jews were slaughtered and the remainder still cling (against hope ) to creating a rational, sane, equality of human lives?

I am furious about the fucked up support for AntiSemitism. Y'all so eager to expose Trump's lies and yet so ignorant of centuries of lies that have formed so many of your world views about your fellow humans.

I do not believe we would have reached this point in the development of our credo without the "Judaeo" contribution part of it and I cannot understand why Jews are being blamed for the rest of you fucking that up and shitting on each-other.

If someone wants to take me on on this, I'll be happy to engage but I will no longer accept the response "gee, I never saw any of this here".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #16
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

What about the NATIVE Americans that were slaughtered for their land? Because white men are racist?

Stop playing the other cards of one race or religion is worse off, white men commited a gigantic genocide way before any of this other stuff came along. My ancestors were killed off, they were the first to acknowledge and accept trans people aka two spirits, way more accepting than another other race/religion on earth!!!!!!

So yeah the glbt community still has a long way to go but we all know where it starts! Withing ourselves, we have to get along and unite no matter what for the outside world to help us move ahead.

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"

White Elk
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #17
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,151 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
What about the NATIVE Americans that were slaughtered for their land? Because white men are racist?

Stop playing the other cards of one race or religion is worse off, white men commited a gigantic genocide way before any of this other stuff came along. My ancestors were killed off, they were the first to acknowledge and accept trans people aka two spirits, way more accepting than another other race/religion on earth!!!!!!

So yeah the glbt community still has a long way to go but we all know where it starts! Withing ourselves, we have to get along and unite no matter what for the outside world to help us move ahead.

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"

White Elk
Absolutely. The Native American genocide has never been nearly adequately addressed, and in some ways continues to this day. Why do you blame only white men? Many white women were/are complicit in racist acts and policies against Native peoples.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #18
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,265 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Does not responding to someone indicate you agree with them or simply mean
you don't want to be banned for offending someone with a penchant for reporting people?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #19
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post
Absolutely. The Native American genocide has never been nearly adequately addressed, and in some ways continues to this day. Why do you blame only white men? Many white women were/are complicit in racist acts and policies against Native peoples.
Well when I say white men it means men and women. Sorry i was quite upset when posting so I wasn't specific. And you are correct women are just the same as men in being complicit.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 03:18 PM   #20
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,960 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0LLETTE View Post
Does not responding to someone indicate you agree with them or simply mean
you don't want to be banned for offending someone with a penchant for reporting people?
I’m not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I will only answer for myself. When I do not respond to a post it might mean a couple of things...

1. It was off topic and I just skipped it
2. It was far above my mental level and I cannot intelligently answer it.
3. I am not wanting to get into an arguement and open a can of whipass.

In this case, we were discussing a perfect world where we could all come together and sing kumbyah, and I pointed out how far from THAT ideal we still were.

I agreed with the content of your post, but felt unable to form an intelligent response.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post: