Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default When will America turn "Blue" ?

I've had something on my mind, for the past few years, concerning cartography depicting much of America sitting in "Red", rather than a majority of states as depicted in "Blue."

Anybody ever notice how it's a major section in the middle of America that is "Red," rather than "Blue"?

I saw a map online, over on the NBC news website, and there it was, this big stretch of "Red" in practically all the mid-section of the US, with "Blue" sections sparsely situated on the west coast and a few handful of "Blue" states on the east coast.

I've always wondered why that is because what has the GOP (or a GOP-centric president) ever done for the people who live in states where people have farmed for several generations? Remember the horrible flooding that damaged tons of farming communities and those very people were hurt by current DC admin policy? There was a huge outcry about how these people had bills to pay, couldn't pay there bills and didn't have time to replant and possibly lost everything they had, financially, due to the way they've been stranded by a very corrupt way the government has handled farming communities and disasters that have ruined not only their crops but affected their ability to generate any revenue to support themselves.

Not one peep in the news about how FEMA helped these people out, which makes me think that FEMA probably never allocated enough money to help farmers address the complications they faced this calendar year or in the past three years.

But it's not just farming communities who occupy the mid-section of America. There's also the great lakes region: The dying 'rust belt' communities who have long been ignored by corrupt politicians who govern these particular states. I think of Michigan's toxic water issue in Detroit and other surrounding communities affected by lack of employment because there's no work to be found, anywhere. People stuck in horrifying situations with no way to be liberated from the financial devastation they've been slogging through for years. People losing their homes, their credit record sitting in a pile of ashes, with no hope of ever being liberated from that which has left them little to no hope of ever being corrected in their favor.

How is it that people affected the most can abide a "Red" state of politics?

I know I couldn't handle it at all and I worry that my own state on the west coast will bleed entirely "Red" this year. The only part of my state that is "Blue" is the metro area I live in. But I have been seeing signs of that horrible mentality espoused by those who think in terms of "Red" and I worry that my state won't be strong enough in "Blue" based politics.

I thought I would start a thread tonight that talks about this type of phenomena in the US. The fact that maps of the US depict more states as "Red" rather than "Blue."

I often wonder when maps will turn into a sea of "Blue".

If any member reads my post and has any sort of ideas or has come across any sort of information about why this is, I would appreciate any dialogue about this particular thing because I seem to observe this whenever it comes time for an election. I often wonder why people tolerate "Red" politics when that brand of thinking or politics has never really helped them address long standing issues, which become worse over time (generation after generation).

If you've made it this far with reading my post, I thank you.

And thanks in advance for any discussion offered about this particular subject of interest.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 03:31 AM   #2
A. Spectre

How Do You Identify?:
Butch dominant lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Baby Boi
Relationship Status:
She is my sunrise and sunset.

Thanked 10,781 Times in 1,440 Posts
A. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST Reputation

A poignant topic.

Red state folks have been hand fed misinformation for decades, ala Rush Limbaugh, being on air spewing garbage for over 35 years in mostly rural America. Did you know Rush and his manure were offered up free of charge to thousands of small stations in its infancy?

Reagan killed "The Fairness Doctrine" in 1987

"The Fairness Doctrine was a policy of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC), introduced in 1949, that required the holders of broadcast licenses to both present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was, in the Commission's view, honest, equitable and balanced."

Republicans have been working on dismantling democracy for a long time, thei fruits of their shenanigans are ripening. They started placing hand picked ideologues in local elections, placing Federalist judge types on the lower ballot and so much more.

They have out maneuvered Democrats, but with what is good, moral and righteousness on our side, we will prevail.
A. Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to A. Spectre For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Spectre View Post
A poignant topic.

Red state folks have been hand fed misinformation for decades, ala Rush Limbaugh, being on air spewing garbage for over 35 years in mostly rural America. Did you know Rush and his manure were offered up free of charge to thousands of small stations in its infancy?

Reagan killed "The Fairness Doctrine" in 1987

"The Fairness Doctrine was a policy of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC), introduced in 1949, that required the holders of broadcast licenses to both present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was, in the Commission's view, honest, equitable and balanced."

Republicans have been working on dismantling democracy for a long time, thei fruits of their shenanigans are ripening. They started placing hand picked ideologues in local elections, placing Federalist judge types on the lower ballot and so much more.

They have out maneuvered Democrats, but with what is good, moral and righteousness on our side, we will prevail.
Thank you A. Spectre*, your post is timely and it makes my day.

When that horrid dictator in DC awarded Limbaugh that medal for deceiving the public for years and years, I screamed every cuss word on my mind. That award is reserved for people who don't lie, cheat, steal, etc etc etc.

I had forgotten all about Reagan killing the Fairness Doctrine (FCC's golden rule). No wonder propaganda and mis-/dis- information runs rampant across media outlets. Have you noticed what I think marks a "Red" brand of politics, espoused and supported by correspondents covering news for NPR? I carefully listen and assess what passes for legitimate news when I listen to NPR news broadcasts and their radio shows. I might be wrong in my assessment, but I have noticed that the NPR of yesteryear is not the NPR we hear on the airwaves today.

Thank you for your post: I appreciate you greatly.
Thanks for reminding me of how this all came about.

_____ ______
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 10:19 PM   #4
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Almost 6 months later...

Nearly six months ago, I couldn't help but wonder when America would turn "Blue." It's been years, decades even, since America was more "Blue" (Democratic), except for the years when the Clinton's held office or the years when the Obama's held office. I'm not much of a history buff and or a politics buff, but I long for our country to be more "Blue" in its political stance.

Just today, Joe Biden and Kamala Harris made their first address to the nation as the Democratic ticket nominees for POTUS and VPOTUS. Their message was inspiring and for the first time in a few years, I now feel like American constituents will finally take a stand and renounce the toxic politics of the political party (The GOP) that has brought America to the brink of near ruin.

I came across Nate Silver's political page over on ABC's news website: The FiveThirtyEight. They've got an interesting interactive map for the 2020 Election Forecast. Toward the middle of the page, one can see the interactive map. One side is red (GOP-TP) and the other side is blue (DEM: Biden-Harris). Each side has little dots. If you use the mouse to hover over any one of the dots, one sees the numerical value of electoral votes given for a presidential win. The FiveThirtyEight team simulates the election 40,000 times to see who wins the election. It's pretty interesting. Of those 40K times they simulate the election results, Biden-Harris are favored winners. In fact, by simulating the election 40 thousand times, Biden-Harris win in 71 of 100 times. That is a pretty strong outcome and I hope that in the end, it turns out even stronger than the FiveThirtyEight team analysis.

If anyone else is interested in perusing the interactive map and wants to see how it works, follow this link to the interactive map: FiveThirtyEight-2020.

_____ ______
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2020, 08:43 PM   #5
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default 1932

Tonight, after learning earlier today that Arizona was called for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, and Georgia too!, that I'd try to find an election map image for this tumultuous election and for comparison purposes, find an election map of Obama's landslide victory and the landslide victory of FDR's presidential win (s).

2020 Map: Joe Biden and Kamala Harris Win for P/VP of the United States

LINK to CNN Presidential Map

2008 Map: Barack Obama and Joe Biden Win for P/VP of the United States.

1932 Map: Franklin Delano Roosevelt Win for the P/VP of the United States.

It's an interesting fact (to me) that it was back in 1932 that America was nearly Blue.
This was what I was thinking about when I thought of the title for the OP When Will America Turn Blue?

_____ ______
Old 11-13-2020, 10:32 PM   #6
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,130 Times in 4,735 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

"When will America turn blue "? I would have to say ~ holding their breath for TRUMP to concede ? lol I couldn't resist !
Old 11-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #7
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

The use of colloquial phrases or social idioms can sometimes be useful, but I think it's important to note differences or notice differences in Election processes by examining yesteryear elections to present day election processes for clues that could help others understand interesting aspects of any election process.

I think the last time we honestly had a blue tidal wave of enormous support was back during the depression era, when FDR won by landslide counts.

Back then, unemployment stood at 24%, people lost their ability to earn a living or buy food or pay their bills or keep a roof over their heads. In many ways, what American's are dealing with right now, even with a global pandemic, is nearly the same as back during the great Depression of the late 1920s to the decade of the 1930s.

Back in April of this year (2020) the unemployment rate stood at approximately 14.7%. And just last week, I read where millions more of Americans lost their jobs and won't be getting any economic relief due to a number of reasons not easily explained or known. For example, I just read in our local news yesterday that people who filed for unemployment last spring and were turned down or never helped were suddenly approved but nearly four months later are being notified to return thousands of dollars of unemployment benefit income due to somebody changing the unemployment codification of rules (...).

People are hurting in America. Everyday a new terror arises in people's lives. Loss of income, loss of life, loss of property, losses upon losses (health insurance and access to medical help, is but one I can think of for this general category) and to me, it just feels as horrible as what people endured during the Depression.

Was it loss of great magnitude that caused people to vote Blue and deliver a landslide victory to FDR?

I think there are comparable losses across our country that invigorated people to turn out in droves for the Democratic party, so that the Biden Harris Administration can get to work on important social policy that will hopefully alleviate and help American's but also restore trust in Building Back Better what the opposing regime destroyed over the past few years.

These are just my thoughts, though.

_____ ______
Old 09-06-2022, 08:22 PM   #8
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Smile Did Florida turn Blue today???

I see that Charlie Crist (DEM), a former Republican who switched political party affiliation to become a Democrat, has become Florida's Governor?

If so, that is freaking AWESOME! Whoooo-hooooo for everybody voting out DeSantis and chosing Charlie Crist!!!!!

MSNBC link: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...vernor-results

_____ ______
Old 09-07-2022, 08:26 AM   #9
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,672 Times in 7,710 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Charlie Crist is running, but he has not been voted in as Governor...YET!! Being positive! DeSatan is still ruining Fl all he can!!! Come November elections we will see!! Crist is the projected winner over Nikki Fried thus far....to face DeSatan....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
I see that Charlie Crist (DEM), a former Republican who switched political party affiliation to become a Democrat, has become Florida's Governor?

If so, that is freaking AWESOME! Whoooo-hooooo for everybody voting out DeSantis and chosing Charlie Crist!!!!!

MSNBC link: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...vernor-results
Old 02-29-2024, 10:55 AM   #10
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Bump, bump

I was listening to news videos over on MSNBC earlier and came across the Mitt Romney interview on who he will vote for (thankfully, not T—-p). I thought Romney made a great point that it’s not about policy for him. It’s about…. Character. The person who is being handed the GOP nomination is NOT the person who should be elected President. Romney is casting his vote for Biden because … Character matters. Amen, is what crosses my mind. T——p does not represent American values. And apparently the stacked Supreme Court does not represent my character or values either.

The Romney interview is sitting near the top of CNN news page right now, should people want to hear that interview.

Now is the time to vote for FREEDOM (Democratic values). Hopefully 2024 is the year Americans turn out in record numbers to vote BLUE as we part ways with the proverbial Red Sea of mind numbing stupidity.

_____ ______
Old 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM   #11
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,364 Times in 6,715 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Perhaps(w the caveat, of including myself)when all the baby boomers die out and quite a few of the preppers...i know, it's a dark pov but having been 'acquainted' w some of the early militias...they believe 'peace' by violence & chaos is patriotic and they have no sympathy for the collateral damage('you') who get in the way
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post: