Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > In The News

Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #21
alexri

How Do You Identify?:
-

Thanked 2,799 Times in 468 Posts
alexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputation

Heh. Back to the Nemo storm discussion...

I think some of the overpreparedness comes from PR disasters in the way that the government has handled large storms. People still talk about the Blizzard of 78. Five years ago, we had incidents with businesses and schools doing early dismissals at the same time, clogging the highways in heavy snow. The result was a 20 minute drive home turning into a four hour drive home for many. School kids were stranded on school buses for nine hours trying to get them home.

So now, they cancel all schools in advance. Tthe state government works with local major companies that have over 500 people to coordinate when people get out early so that the roads are not jammed with people getting home and the plows can get out and do their thing. It's just better and safer for everyone if people stay home, and I do appreciate the authorities promoting this.

Of course the media makes a big deal out of everything. This whole Weather Channel naming everything is so stupid. I still can't believe they picked Nemo.
alexri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to alexri For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

I'm new to the NE weather events. So far I've been unimpressed. However, this storm may change my mind. This is our 2nd winter. Last year was to mild to counts s.. hmm...

I am prepared with food, water, candles, provisions. It will interesting.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #23
jac
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
butch stone
Preferred Pronoun?:
masculine ones work best...
Relationship Status:
♥ engaged to spritz ♥

Thanked 16,492 Times in 2,972 Posts
jac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputation

Yeh, well my time will be spent going back and forth to work at the shelter. I live about half a mile away. Even if buses stop running I still can walk it in... Hell I walk it home every night anyway. What's a little snow gonna hurt? Heh...

To be quite frank, homelessness doesn't stop for a nor'easter. many kids will be looking for a warm spot and a safe place to be. Many will walk miles to get to us. Staff will be there... and this weekend I will be one of those staff.

I did buy provisions today and have plenty to survive for a good two weeks. Now granted, my two weeks supplies is most folks' 4 day supply. I can make some food stretch. I'm not concerned with heat. I pay for it in my rent and the landlord runs oil throughout the building. Heat has never gone out in this building since I've lived here. And even more importantly, all medical issues have been resolved for now!! Woohoo bring on the blizzard!!

Snow storms are far better than ice storms... check out the one that hit Bangor in '98. I hadn't moved here yet so I count myself blessed!
http://bangorinfo.com/Focus/focus_ice_storm.html
jac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to jac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #24
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Pansexual/Sapiosexual femmey dyke who likes to crossdress now and then
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her OR ze if I'm crossdressing
Relationship Status:
Floating and walking My path, happy in life.

Thanked 8,694 Times in 2,987 Posts
TheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
Yeh, well my time will be spent going back and forth to work at the shelter. I live about half a mile away. Even if buses stop running I still can walk it in... Hell I walk it home every night anyway. What's a little snow gonna hurt? Heh...

To be quite frank, homelessness doesn't stop for a nor'easter. many kids will be looking for a warm spot and a safe place to be. Many will walk miles to get to us. Staff will be there... and this weekend I will be one of those staff.

I did buy provisions today and have plenty to survive for a good two weeks. Now granted, my two weeks supplies is most folks' 4 day supply. I can make some food stretch. I'm not concerned with heat. I pay for it in my rent and the landlord runs oil throughout the building. Heat has never gone out in this building since I've lived here. And even more importantly, all medical issues have been resolved for now!! Woohoo bring on the blizzard!!

Snow storms are far better than ice storms... check out the one that hit Bangor in '98. I hadn't moved here yet so I count myself blessed!
http://bangorinfo.com/Focus/focus_ice_storm.html

Jac you are so right about homelessness. I can talk all I want about trying to be prepared but I know a lot of people at the other end who will be scrambling to find someplace to even get out of the weather.

Thank you for being there!

I have never had to sleep in my car or outside during a winter storm, though I have at other times over the years. It's so much harder then a lot of people realize. I too don't need a lot to live on. I make things stretch and if I could I would be offering space to anyone who needed someplace warm until the storm passes.

I am keeping everyone in my thoughts. Everyone. Be safe!
TheMerryFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheMerryFairy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #25
jac
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
butch stone
Preferred Pronoun?:
masculine ones work best...
Relationship Status:
♥ engaged to spritz ♥

Thanked 16,492 Times in 2,972 Posts
jac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputation

I mentioned in another thread a week or so ago that I was wanting to hang with a friend who lived out in a cabin in the country... well, she is a true Mainer that's lived here all her life. This woman is older than me by a few years and although not worldly as far as travels go... she has much wisdom to share.

Anyway, she use to tell me stories of when she lived in the nrothern part of Maine and what would happen when a good nor'easter would come through. She said she remembered the snowfalls being so high parents had to teach the children the importance of not touching powerlines. These were not powerlines that had fallen or sagged, these were powerlines still at the tops of the poles. THAT's how high it would pile up back in the 70s and 80s here in Maine.

It reminded me of the scene from Little House on the Prarie where paw had to snowshoe from the second story window of the house to the loft of the barn to get the Christmas presents.

Now that's some snowfall....

Last edited by jac; 02-07-2013 at 09:29 PM.
jac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #26
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

My dad's memories of climbing out the second floor window to walk to school comes to mind. Up State NY.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #27
Mtn

How Do You Identify?:
Stone butch, daddy type
Relationship Status:
sylvie calls me her studmuffin

Thanked 3,834 Times in 617 Posts
Mtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST Reputation

Sylvie lives in the path of the storm, supposed to get 35-45 cm. Prayers to everyone that could be affected. Be safe!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #28
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 6,239 Times in 1,687 Posts
Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation

I'm out trying to find nemo. My company has us working. Not sure what sams club needs that couldn't b rescheduled.

Right now the sky is clear and so r the roads. I'm hoping to b done and home before it gets too bad
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Teddybear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 03:50 AM   #29
LoyalWolfsBlade

How Do You Identify?:
Pre-Op FtM,
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones plz
Relationship Status:
Single but haven't given up on finding the One

Thanked 9,646 Times in 3,123 Posts
LoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST Reputation

Times like this is when I wish my non-tech savvy ex was part of this site so I can get updates on her and the rest of the family. Since I lived there once I am aware that it can be hit or miss but this storm has me concerned for her and my friends on here that are in the area.

So sending positive thoughts and energy to all those in the path....may it turn out to be nothing and if not may you all be safe.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LoyalWolfsBlade For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #30
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Portsmouth NH checking in...

We have snow. Steady snow coming down. It is the fluffy light blows easily type. Winds aren't up yet (not that we expect that until later in the day). Temp at 18.

The General doesn't want to play in it (too cold). And our schedules have been cleared. Ready to relax and drive each other nuts indoors.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #31
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzerJ View Post
Portsmouth NH checking in...

We have snow. Steady snow coming down. It is the fluffy light blows easily type. Winds aren't up yet (not that we expect that until later in the day). Temp at 18.

The General doesn't want to play in it (too cold). And our schedules have been cleared. Ready to relax and drive each other nuts indoors.
Thanks for checking it. What does the daytime forecast look like for you?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #32
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 6,239 Times in 1,687 Posts
Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation

Checking in from Hooksett, NH.

There has been some snow very lite and melting as it hits the roads. I'm hoping it stays this way till I get unloaded and then back to the yard.

I have heard the worst of it will b after noon and into the early hours of Saturday.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Teddybear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #33
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Strangely enough the forecast says it is just cloudy right now. However I am looking at snow falling.

Looks like a break in the snow until 1pm. 1-3pm meaningful snow. 3pm- 11pm heavy snow and wind. 11pm- 2am Saturday Blizzard. 2am- 11pm Saturday snow and wind (of varying strengths).

I am glad we will sleep for the worst of it. That will help The General stay less anxious. If we loose power at night we'll notice less. The light snow has to be a good thing for trees and such. But the wind is going to be tricky.

I am grateful The General and I are both home and not at school. It is a slow start to a big storm. And being inside already seems a bit excessive. Sure we could be running a couple errands. And I still don't really feel like it. We aren't experienced enough NElanders.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #34
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Default Checking in from MA

Just started snowing in West Warren, MA. (central MA) It's a driving snow and yet it feels fairly warm out. Not many cars on the road. People are taking it seriously for sure. Please look out for your elderly neighbors at this time! Stay safe y'all. It can only last so long. Every storm runs out of rain (or snow).
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #35
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Cape Cod, Mass here.

Quiet morning so far. Nothing falling from the sky yet. Winds are picking up. The ocean is looking pretty cranky. Temps holding in mid 30's.

Nasty stuff not expected to hit here until evening.

Last minute prep underway aka lunatics all over the roads.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #36
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 1,653 Times in 298 Posts
Beloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am supposed to drive from central NJ to western MA tomorrow morning. I am not amused. I am a nervous driver.
Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beloved For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #37
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,685 Times in 7,714 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Thanks for the Updates all of you...stay safe & warm.
Sending positive energies to all for this to be much less severe than predicted...
Will be watching this thread for everyone's posts....
Old 02-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #38
Dash
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
FtM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Dash Has the BEST ReputationDash Has the BEST ReputationDash Has the BEST ReputationDash Has the BEST ReputationDash Has the BEST ReputationDash Has the BEST ReputationDash Has the BEST ReputationDash Has the BEST ReputationDash Has the BEST ReputationDash Has the BEST ReputationDash Has the BEST Reputation

Stay safe, very white here in NYC
Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dash For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #39
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,159 Times in 3,019 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Albany area check in: Been snowing for a couple of hours, light snow but steady. Supposed to really pick up around 3 and stay steady through the night bringing 9-14 inches.

I made a pot of soup and a pot of rice and have some root veggies roasting. Played Monopoly with the kiddo for a few hours, now going to do some work and I'm sure more game playing later. Oh, and brownies need to get baked soon!

Stay safe and warm everyone!
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #40
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,618 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

they have compared this storm to the storm of Dec 2007. Yeah. I know New England storms. Their blizzards are not like anything we experience in ohio. I laugh at Ohio people who shudder when they see 4 to 6" on the ground. Thats a small storm in New England. I remember the weight of the ice and snow on the tall trees, bowing them to the ground and some snapping off completely at the base of the trunk. Never saw anything like that before in my life and I am making sure I never do again. It takes a strong person to live in that zone and I simply am not.

I will pray for all of you...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:

Tags
nemo