Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Thanked 2,683 Times in 562 Posts
Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation
Angry Ohio Catholic School Teacher Fired for Coming Out in Her Mother's Obituary

This is infuriating and illegal!

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/1...moms-obituary/
Old 04-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

This is so wrong,if we had leagle marriage this would be not a problem,BUT being it the catholic church nothing surprises me.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

If one wants freedom of religion, this is what will happen. Why she chose to work for the homophobes is beyond me. To publicly acknowledge her partner in the paper, baffling. The church isn't going to change, it has a track record of discrimination and it doesn't look like it will ever accept people based on their love for each other. She wont win in court because the church has a right to employ whom they wish. Does it make me angry, yes. But in reality perhaps she should have chosen to either teach somewhere else, or kept it to herself if she wanted to continue to teach in a catholic institution.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation

There's a petition if anyone is interested in showing support for Carla Hale's cause: https://www.change.org/petitions/dio...JqX_RLUwamNXDF
Old 04-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

From what the article stated, she will win, if she files a lawsuit, due to Ohio's laws. I hope that she sues, and wins her job back, as well as damages, both actual and punitive.
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Allison W

How Do You Identify?:
TG Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Loner

Thanked 1,198 Times in 320 Posts
Allison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST Reputation

I gotta line up with Corkey on this one. It's bullshit, but I don't like the idea of giving these people ammo for their "THEY'RE TRAMPLING ON OUR FREEDOM OF RELIGION" whining. Moreover, I'm inclined to believe that a Catholic school is not going to be a good environment for an openly LGBT person to work in even if it's illegal for them to discriminate on such a basis. Then again, we are in a shitty economic environment where jobs are practically nonexistent, so... shit. That was really unfortunate.
Allison W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allison W For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Honestly, I can see if from both sides. I don't know why a lesbian would come out when she works at a Catholic school. However, the entire point of the GLBT uprising is to make all people equal no matter where they work. Yes, it's a church. Yes, it wasn't the best of choices. But life isn't a buffet table. When you're accepted most places (as this woman may have been), on the surface, everything "feels" fine.

She may not have really thought the repercussions of what she'd done through before coming out the way she did. This could make her a pioneer though. Why should it be "understood" that if you work in a Catholic school that you have to be silent? We need to shine that rainbow light into EVERY dark corner and in no place is that corner darker than in the church.

I'm interested to see how this plays out.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison W View Post
I gotta line up with Corkey on this one. It's bullshit, but I don't like the idea of giving these people ammo for their "THEY'RE TRAMPLING ON OUR FREEDOM OF RELIGION" whining. Moreover, I'm inclined to believe that a Catholic school is not going to be a good environment for an openly LGBT person to work in even if it's illegal for them to discriminate on such a basis. Then again, we are in a shitty economic environment where jobs are practically nonexistent, so... shit. That was really unfortunate.
I agree about the hostility of working for a catholic schools.I worked for an agancy that hires out disabled folks to work part time,where do they send me but to a catholic hospitial hear,I ask to be reasinged but I was stuck there for a year till a new owner bought the place.The VOA bounced me right out the door within a week,no matter if I had a perfect work record,had my certifications or not.U can bet I wont go back to work for any religious based organization...it was a hard year of takeing crap from them because they could get away with it.Yeah,I kow they arent suposed to to that but when they all gang up with the same story the head of the place went with the people who have been there for years.The place that sent me to work there knew what was going on,I could hope for an opening to happen so I could transfer or quit then not have a job or pay check,I needed the check so I just stayed for the check tho I was glad to leave when I did.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:

Tags
carla hale, glbt discrimination