morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Obamacare Survival Guide ??

what do you think???

the part about more unemployment scares me ... not just for me but for my daughter.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...uide/?page=all

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I suspect it's an opinion piece from a right ring POV and likely has more FUD in it than fact. One of the prominent things that has happened is that American journalism is a facade for the purposes of pushing an opinion along with telling viewers what they should think rather than reporting on facts and letting viewers/readers to decide on their own what to think.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Consider the source. The Washington Times is a far-right wing paper playing at reporting real news. If you read actual economists (I would suggest either Joseph Stiglitz or Paul Krugman both of whom are Nobel laureates in economics) you get a very different picture of health care reform. I will say this, however, regarding your specific concerns re: unemployment. Every time the minimum wage has been raised, every single time, we have been told that the $.50 or $.75 hike will be the very death of the American economy. Every time it has turned out not to be true. Every. Single. Time. We've been told that businesses will stop hiring and that hasn't happened.

The view of economics that one finds in publications like the Washington Times has as much to do with actual economics as a movie like Star Wars has to do with actual space travel. This is, of course, to say nothing at all.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 6,239 Times in 1,687 Posts
Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation

Let me tell y'all what has happened to me since the passing of this "unread" piece of #%??>.

My insurance rates have doubled. I went from paying bout $50 a week for ALL insurance that was offered for a family of 3. Now I'm paying almost $110 a week for just me.

I know ppl whose companies WON'T let them work more then 28 hrs a week so they don't have to offer it to them.

I maybe old fashion but I think before "ANY" law is voted on or passed every page, and line should be read by those voting on it and be available for more then a cpl of days for us who will be affected by the new law, everyone in this case will be.

I think we gave a long way to go before ANY of us really know what we are in for.

Has anyone noticed the new box added to ur paystub?? The one that says either benefits or fringe benefits. We are getting ready to have to pay income tax on the amount of what our company pays as their part of these benefits.

I don't mind paying my fair bur come on

Last edited by Teddybear; 09-04-2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: My phone won't letme edit bur to but
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teddybear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/facts/...tebystate.html

Facts about ACA.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
Open to healthy possibilities...

Thanked 1,628 Times in 393 Posts
Elijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST Reputation

The reality is, I have no idea at all how this piece of legislation is going to effect my life. What I do know is that having the US Government propose to tell us "the facts" about it, is a little like Monsanto telling us "the facts" about Genetically Modified Foods (GMO's). /sarcasm (not really)

The reality is that all change is going to have some growing pains, I just hope the end result is a positive one. I think the premise is a good one, I hope reality can live up to it.

I really wish we would have been provided more information on it, I also wish that after we had said information, that we had some kind of voice in it, but "shit in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up faster."

Now that I am done channeling some Appalachian mountain man....that is all.

Good Day.

~Elijah

*The opinions expressed above are mine all mine and not meant to be divisive or snarky to anyone in particular, just the musings of a madman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post

~Washington Irving
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
The reality is, I have no idea at all how this piece of legislation is going to effect my life. What I do know is that having the US Government propose to tell us "the facts" about it, is a little like Monsanto telling us "the facts" about Genetically Modified Foods (GMO's). /sarcasm (not really)

The reality is that all change is going to have some growing pains, I just hope the end result is a positive one. I think the premise is a good one, I hope reality can live up to it.

I really wish we would have been provided more information on it, I also wish that after we had said information, that we had some kind of voice in it, but "shit in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up faster."

Now that I am done channeling some Appalachian mountain man....that is all.

Good Day.

~Elijah

*The opinions expressed above are mine all mine and not meant to be divisive or snarky to anyone in particular, just the musings of a madman.
If you actually read the facts sheet you may have some notion of what the Law does and how it will effect you. Mad man or not. Your state.

http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/facts/bystate/mi.html
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:

Elijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST Reputation

I know what it "says", but that wasn't the point I was making.

I wasn't attacking you Corkey, I hope you didn't read it that way.

E.

Quote:
If you actually read the facts sheet you may have some notion of what the Law does and how it will effect you. Mad man or not. Your state.

http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/facts/bystate/mi.html

~Washington Irving
Old 09-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
I know what it "says", but that wasn't the point I was making.

I wasn't attacking you Corkey, I hope you didn't read it that way.

E.

If you read it then what point are you trying to make? I don't take it personally, I'm just trying to inform people. From AARP if you distrust the government.

http://healthlawanswers.aarp.org/?CM...5_3280649877_1

Last edited by Corkey; 09-04-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,781 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks for the links Corkey. As a self-employed person, I do think Obama Care will give me much better options for health insurance. I need to start doing more research, and your links will definitely help me.
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
Thanks for the links Corkey. As a self-employed person, I do think Obama Care will give me much better options for health insurance. I need to start doing more research, and your links will definitely help me.
You're welcome BD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:

Yes, that is the point I am making (distrust of the Gov't) . Sorry, I thought that was understood.

Quote:

If you read it then what point are you trying to make? I don't take it personally, I'm just trying to inform people. From AARP if you distrust the government.

http://healthlawanswers.aarp.org/?CM...5_3280649877_1

~Washington Irving
Old 09-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
Yes, that is the point I am making (distrust of the Gov't) . Sorry, I thought that was understood.

LOL nope LOL Hope the AARP link will help you There are many sites, Insurance based, that provide the information.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Here's a calculator to play around with from the Kaiser Family. I threw my numbers in and was surprised as to how cheap it would be for me.

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

ETA: Adding a quote from this page:

"In general, employees who are offered insurance through work are not eligible for subsidized exchange coverage, so long as their insurance meets specified requirements. You would only be eligible for subsidized exchange coverage if your income is between 1 and 4 times the federal poverty level and you would have to pay more than 9.5% of your household income for your own coverage through the insurance offered by your employer. "

TeddyBear, you may find you qualify for a policy that is cheaper than the one at your work.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:

Interesting, so if I did the calculation correctly, I would have to pay at least $400.00 monthly for coverage that I now pay $120.00 monthly for. Ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Here's a calculator to play around with from the Kaiser Family. I threw my numbers in and was surprised as to how cheap it would be for me.

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

ETA: Adding a quote from this page:

"In general, employees who are offered insurance through work are not eligible for subsidized exchange coverage, so long as their insurance meets specified requirements. You would only be eligible for subsidized exchange coverage if your income is between 1 and 4 times the federal poverty level and you would have to pay more than 9.5% of your household income for your own coverage through the insurance offered by your employer. "

TeddyBear, you may find you qualify for a policy that is cheaper than the one at your work.

~Washington Irving
Old 09-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
Interesting, so if I did the calculation correctly, I would have to pay at least $400.00 monthly for coverage that I now pay $120.00 monthly for. Ouch.

If you have insurance from an employer you are probably exempt from applying for the exchanges
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #17
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Glad that you have such a good plan. You said you were concerned about how it would effect you. I assumed you had no insurance.

For someone who is in your financial situation who currently has no insurance, $400 a month may seem a lot cheaper than the ohhhhh, one hospital visit costing them thousands and thousands of dollars they will be paying back for years to come.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

True story.

I didn't have medical care (insurance) for 7 years. I could not get any medical care as I also didn't have any money. I finally get medicare and find out I had a mass the size of a basket ball in my gut. The surgery cost medicare 35 thousand dollars for a 3 day stay in a private room. I paid $400 in copay. Without insurance I would have died. I can not for the life of me understand how giving people the access to healthcare is a bad thing.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:

No, I have health insurance through my employer. However the language I keep coming across is as follows: "If you have health insurance through an employer, you probably do not have to make any changes to your coverage.

I am not sure what that little caveat means, and that makes me apprehensive.

So far, I haven't run across under what circumstances I would have to change my coverage and what that would mean.

E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Glad that you have such a good plan. You said you were concerned about how it would effect you. I assumed you had no insurance.

For someone who is in your financial situation who currently has no insurance, $400 a month may seem a lot cheaper than the ohhhhh, one hospital visit costing them thousands and thousands of dollars they will be paying back for years to come.

~Washington Irving
The Following User Says Thank You to Elijah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #20
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
No, I have health insurance through my employer. However the language I keep coming across is as follows: "If you have health insurance through an employer, you probably do not have to make any changes to your coverage.

I am not sure what that little caveat means, and that makes me apprehensive.

So far, I haven't run across under what circumstances I would have to change my coverage and what that would mean.

E.
It means that as the ACA gets implemented insurance costs will be changing. Insurance companies will no longer be able to put a cap on lifetime coverage. They will no longer be able to discriminate as to who can get covered, nor can they deny coverage for a preexisting medical disease or condition, such as being female. It means that younger healthier people will get excellent rates and those of us who are not so young and healthy will pay a bit more for coverage. It means that insurance companies can no longer charge seniors more for their medications than the exchanges will pay. All in all good things.