How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Pat Robertson claims Haiti is cursed; earthquake caused by Haiti's pact with the devil.

Pat Robertson claimed on National television that Haiti was struck by earthquake because they are cursed. They made a pact with the devil in 1791for the overthrow of the French occupation, and have been cursed ever since. They need to get right with God or continue to face these disasters.

I can't understand why Christians continue to allow this hate filled man to speak for them. To me this is a hate crime, and he should be arrested. I've been listening to him spew hate for over thirty years, and I continue to be shocked by the things that come out of his mouth.

Comments, please.
Keri

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/01/13/robertson-haiti/

Sorry, forgot to put the link in when I first posted this.

Last edited by iamkeri1; 01-14-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: add link
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
DELSDAUGHTER

How Do You Identify?:
femme , with occasional tomboy tendencies
Relationship Status:
single,just me and the pup...

DELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST Reputation

that doesnt surprise me that someone that claimed to be a man of god would say that....
i have a religious guy at work that said that the china eathquakes were punishment from god for being pagen.....
DELSDAUGHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Rufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST Reputation

Does anyone even pay attention to Robertson any more. He's stuck his foot in his mouth so many times that I think everyone just rolls their eyes and moves on.

Rufus
Rufusboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rufusboi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

What a bunch of shit.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

What a friggen idiot...
Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

I wonder if they have a change of seasons on his planet...
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

To even SUGGEST that a nation of African slaves who rose up against their French captors "made a pact with the devil" in doing so, and that they are now being PUNISHED for freeing themselves so very long ago.......well I just don't know how many ways there are to spell R-A-C-I-S-T fucker !
Old 01-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

The man is a medical miracle....it SHOULD be impossible for anyone with an absence of higher brain function to speak...but look at him go! Amazing!

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufusboi View Post
Does anyone even pay attention to Robertson any more. He's stuck his foot in his mouth so many times that I think everyone just rolls their eyes and moves on.

Rufus
If you think this man is without influence you are seriously kidding yourself. I wasn't able to quickly find the size of their audience in the last year or so, but it is large. There are 20,000 members of the 700 club alone, They have all pledged to send $20.00 per month to support the broadcasting of the 700 club. This membership alone provides an income of almost 5 million to the show. The 700Club gets over 4 Million prayer requests per year. more information is provided lower on the page.

Listed below is income from their income state ment for the year 2007, showing inccome of $467,700,652 for that one year alone. This information is from the Better Business Bureau Website This income/expense information is for just ONE year - 2007.

The following information is based on CBN's audited combined (with subsidiaries and affiliated organizations) financial statements for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2007:

Source of Funds
Ministry support 248,178,057
Gifts-in-kind 212,290,090
Other revenue 5,712,944
Investment income, net 1,519,561
Total Income $467,700,652

Uses of Funds as a % of Total Expenses

Programs: 90% Fund Raising: 6% Administrative: 4%

Total income $467,700,652
Program expenses $424,007,364
Fund raising expenses 30,413,115
Administrative expenses 18,015,861

Total expenses $472,436,340
Expenses in Excess of Income (4,735,688)
Beginning net assets 219,502,393
Other Changes in Net Assets 114,224
Ending net assets 214,880,929
Total liabilities 42,975,645
Total assets $257,856,574

This money is in trust - a holding of money for Pat Robertson and his wife. Not bad for a simple follower of Christ, is it? This is not his annual income. This is a trust. Income is separate.

CBN's auditors have indicated that for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2007, they were unable to apply audit procedures to the stated fair value of the interest in charitable trust of $67,297,000. The charitable trust being referred to was established by CBN's founder, Pat Robertson. According to Note 6 of CBN's audited financial statements for the year ended March 31, 2007, the assets of the trust are not controlled by CBN and will be distributed to the organization in 2010, or upon the the death of the founder and his wife, whichever is later. The value for the contribution receivable from the trust recorded by CBN is based on information originally provided by the trustee and was discounted at the date of the gift to reflect the present value of the estimated future distribution receivable from the trust. The trustee has reported no changes in the value of the trust. Changes in market values or various assumptions could result in material increases or decreases in the present value of the receivable from the trust.

On the Christian Broadcasting Network website I found this information:

Hosted by Pat Robertson, Terry Meeuwsen, and Gordon Robertson with news anchor Lee Webb, The 700 Club is a mix of news and commentary, interviews, feature stories, and Christian ministry.

Seen in 95 percent of the television markets across the United States, the program is carried on ABC Family Channel cable network, FamilyNet, Trinity Broadcasting Network, and numerous U.S. television stations and is seen daily by approximately one million viewers.
WorldReach broadcasts, which include the international editions of The 700 Club, have been viewed in more than 70 foreign languages, can be seen in more than 200 countries, and are accessible throughout the year by more than 1.5 billion people around the world.

This man/company is worth some serious dough, wields enormous influence and has held several of our recent presidents by the balls. Obama seems to be similarly hamstrung gy the Christian right. To underestimate him (Robertson) is a mistake.
Smoooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
Curley

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, hey you lol

Curley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST Reputation

I did'nt know who this was ,so googled him all I can say is that he needs serious anti-psychotic medications. Other words to describe him would not be appropriate for me to put here
Curley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Curley For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #11
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

So. . .

This must be a really slow acting vengeful God, if he waited 200 years to punish Haiti for that. . .
Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Selenay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
canmarielan

How Do You Identify?:
Loud mouth, big hair, spunky Texas Femme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
It's a SHE!!!!
Relationship Status:
PKCL0204

Thanked 1,134 Times in 326 Posts
canmarielan Has the BEST Reputationcanmarielan Has the BEST Reputationcanmarielan Has the BEST Reputationcanmarielan Has the BEST Reputationcanmarielan Has the BEST Reputationcanmarielan Has the BEST Reputationcanmarielan Has the BEST Reputationcanmarielan Has the BEST Reputationcanmarielan Has the BEST Reputationcanmarielan Has the BEST Reputationcanmarielan Has the BEST Reputation

The saddest part is....PEOPLE BELIEVE THE STUFF HE SPOUTS!!!!

I'm serious.

I had this coworker months ago say that Pat Robertson is the only person with courage to say what "God" really wants us to hear.

*sigh*

But, of course....it's alright...after all, the bible did tell me so.

I'm so glad I'm not brainwashed anymore.
canmarielan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canmarielan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Pat Robertson is just doing what he always has done,profit form other ppl..He couldnt hold an honest job if he tryed.There ought to be a law for ppl like him to be put away somewhere so they can leave the rest of the decent folks in this world alone.I know some ppl that are hoodwinked out of there hard earned money would be better off.
Rockin
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post
So. . .

This must be a really slow acting vengeful God, if he waited 200 years to punish Haiti for that. . .

So slow he actually missed the guy who made the pact. I dunno, but seems to me that 200 years late and wiping out generations that had nothing to do with the french imperialism is a tad overkill.

Showoff!
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #15
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
So slow he actually missed the guy who made the pact. I dunno, but seems to me that 200 years late and wiping out generations that had nothing to do with the french imperialism is a tad overkill.

Showoff!
I'm wondering if all the Christian Missionaries over there were really what God had in mind.

Just saying.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #16
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post

Showoff!

Yeah, and at one point is the debt paid?
Do they (all the Haitians alive, now) have to request their souls back? Do they have to ask the French to reinvade?

I'd love to know, Patty. . .
Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #17
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:

Yeah, and at one point is the debt paid?
Do they (all the Haitians alive, now) have to request their souls back? Do they have to ask the French to reinvade?

I'd love to know, Patty. . .
Does Christianity even believe in "curses"?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #18
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

While we're on Pat and CBN... keep an eye on your ballots in Nov...
They don't just hate Haitians...

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2010/J...-Gay-Marriage/
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #19
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
Does Christianity even believe in "curses"?
(I'm not sure if this is rhetorical or not, so I'll answer as though it is not )

According to the bible (proverbs 26:2b), "An undeserved curse does not come to rest." Likewise, Micah 5:12 says that God will, "destroy your witchcraft and you will no longer cast spells." I'm assuming "you" is those dang French, who cursed the Haitians.

Also, if we're talking specifically about Christians who follow the new testament, not those who follow solely the bible, 1 John 4:4 specifies that Children from God don't have to worry, because, "The one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world," meaning that Christ is greater than Satan, so curses are worthless.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Selenay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #20
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Quote:

(I'm not sure if this is rhetorical or not, so I'll answer as though it is not )

According to the bible (proverbs 26:2b), "An undeserved curse does not come to rest." Likewise, Micah 5:12 says that God will, "destroy your witchcraft and you will no longer cast spells." I'm assuming "you" is those dang French, who cursed the Haitians.

Also, if we're talking specifically about Christians who follow the new testament, not those who follow solely the bible, 1 John 4:4 specifies that Children from God don't have to worry, because, "The one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world," meaning that Christ is greater than Satan, so curses are worthless.
It wasn't rhetorical. Thank you Selly for answering.

I am most concerned not with just this (and many others) remark from Roberston, I am concerned that shows like "Meet the Press" regularly have Robertson and other 700 Club correspondents on as pundits. They are not political figures, have no bearing on the inner workings of the USA or other nations. Yet, they are on show after show spouting this rhetoric as though they have a role in things. As though it was fact.

Lots of people are *sheeple* and believe everything on television. That impact is what worries me and scares me in my heart of hearts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post: