Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > LGBT Activism, Allies, ETC.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Women's Music: love songs, political songs, reverent or irreverent songs, instrumentals ... whatever moves you.

I was cruising youtube tonight looking for "Sister", an old song by Chris Willliamson that I have always loved. As I went from one song to another, it became at first a trip down memory lane. Then I came across some powerful music that I had never heard before. Some I listened to over and over again.

Here on the Planet, I love the "dedications" thread because I can get to know some of what you are thinking and feeling by the songs you choose.

I thought it would be good (wonderful? educational? stimulating?) to have a thread just for women's music. (Which I am defining as music perhaps written by women, but at least performed by women for women listeners.)

I can remember the first time I heard a love song sung by one woman for another woman. So many many feelings stirred by that music.
"Lavendar Jane Loves Women" was the very first album of women's music that I owned. So many talented beautiful women performing in those days, the early days, the beginning of women's music. Meg Christian, my personal favorite to this day, Chris Williamson, Teresa Trull, Holly Near, Sweet Honey and the Rock, Janis Ian, and so many others.

For the first time we had good music, well produced, not just back porch music (though that is also wonderful.) I was at the first four years of The Michigan Womyn's Music Festival. It was one joyous high after another. Well, then life got in the way, hubby decided to transition and was no longer welcome at the MWMF, so I didn't go either. My life became more and more that of a straight woman, and I lost touch with women's music for a good little while. So I have a lot to learn, a lot to catch up on. That sounds like so much fun.

Will you share with me your own favorites? If you want to tell us a lititle bit about the music, the performer, the history, or the way the music affects you, that would be fabulous.

Smooches,
Keri

"Sister" by Chris Williamson, was one of the songs she wrote to be included in a play about the life of Amy Semple McPherson.

iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

Here's another by Chris WIlliamson. I heard it for the first time tonight. It is hauntingly beautiful. It made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. It is about native women singing together at the end of day.
Smooches,
Keri

"like the power of a woman's voice when she whispers your name"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

This one is by Holly Near with Emma's Revolution - also not new, but I never heard it before.
A funny scary song.
Smooches,
Keri

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

A personal favorite of mine by Meg Christian. I couldn't find a video of her performing it. If you can find one, please post it
Smooches,
Keri

The Following User Says Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

okie dokie..........I am going to be lost in 'filling up and spilling over' and 'kumbya'

however I do find women's music speaking to me for many years.....

try Walela,,,,,,,,,,,

my personal favorite is 'turn my radio on'

I'll Turn My Radio On
All alone and quite contrary
No one to help share my worry
Nothing more I can do
All alone and sometimes blue
I'll turn my radio on
My radio on
When there's one you love dear
Disappear you know not where
Nothing more I can do
I'll turn my radio on
My radio on
I'll turn my radio on
My radio on
Sometimes up, sometimes down
Sometimes going around
And around
Nothing more I can do
I'll turn my radio on
My radio on
Yes I travel over the highway
And I travel in the air
Couldn't find him anywhere
Nothing more I can do
I'll turn my radio on
My radio on
I'll turn my radio on
My radio on
There's no one I can blame
All alone and bear my name
Nothing more I can do
I'll turn my radio on
My radio on
From the mountains to the valley
From the deserts to the plains
From the deepests caves of ocean
I've traveled over a canyon again
Nothing more I can do
I'll turn my radio on
My radio on
I'll look forward to the day
When the right one comes my way
Nothing more I can do
I'll turn my radio on
My radio on
I'll turn my radio on
My radio on
I'll turn my radio on
My radio on
I'll turn my radio on
My radio on

I could not find a utube of it but I did find this.....another of my favorites of these women lead by Rita Coolidge:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRFuc9bVO4M&feature=BFa&list=PL1AD9F68A7BC 2EC97&lf=results_main"]Wash Your Spirit Clean (Song in Cherokee and English by Walela) - YouTube[/nomedia]
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,624 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

I love Teresa Trull. Can't find much of her on youtube.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Fun idea for a thread.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #9
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

I really didn't post this just because of the "spit on my snatch" line.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

mary chapin carpenter is like the mother teresa of song.
a singer, writer, musician. she has moved me many times with her writing.

and another is catie curtis. she's real. she captures humility.
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
NorCalStud

How Do You Identify?:
gaea's Daddy and Fiance
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ours
Relationship Status:
Engaged with gaea:-)

Thanked 1,465 Times in 359 Posts
NorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST Reputation

Margie adams. I loved Sweet Honey and the Rock. It seems like it is down to Etheridge and Lang now. Are there new groups...are there anymore festivals ever. Had my nose to the grindstone last 20 Yrs. Im way out of the loopage

Che
NorCalStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #14
Starbuck

How Do You Identify?:
Soft Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,148 Times in 756 Posts
Starbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST Reputation

Fiona Apple - Slow Like Honey

Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
sanee66

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

sanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputationsanee66 Has the BEST Reputation
Default alix dobkin lesbian code

http://youtu.be/yKEHdSB8PXQ

lesbian code

http://youtu.be/sVb-Upncr2s

the women in your life

Last edited by sanee66; 12-06-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: added link
sanee66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:42 AM   #16
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Just found this one. It sounds pretty current. It's very graphc! It rocks!
Smooches,
Keri

The Following User Says Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #17
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Old 12-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #18
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Old 12-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #19
Truly Scrumptious

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
She's my mirror twin, my next of kin

2 Highscores

Thanked 1,859 Times in 564 Posts
Truly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST Reputation

Truly Scrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Truly Scrumptious For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #20
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalStud View Post
Margie adams. I loved Sweet Honey and the Rock. It seems like it is down to Etheridge and Lang now. Are there new groups...are there anymore festivals ever. Had my nose to the grindstone last 20 Yrs. Im way out of the loopage
Ah ya, Sweet Honey and the Rock.

Here's a video of Bernice Johnson Reagon from Sweet Honey and the Rock with her daughter.

Just Toshi