Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 6,239 Times in 1,687 Posts
Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation
Default Interview questions?

Ok I have a never been in this situation before. I applied for a job a month ago and then I got a call from the company I applied to. He and I spoke for almost 45 mins and then he asked me to come in for an interview. Now here is where I get confused.

The interview wasn't for the job I applied for but one in upper management I was NOT prepared for that at all nor was I prepared to have an interview that lasted almost 3.5 hrs and I spoke to the person who would be my direct supervisor.

I spoke to them today and was told that within the next couple of weeks I will be coming back for another interview with the head man.

I have had many interviews in my time but always for the job I applied for not a different job completely, and it has never lasted more then 30 mins if that long. Of course I am looking to get out of the truck and into a driver support position but I have never heard of anything like this before

Is this the way the rest of the work world works? Is there any other protocol I should know about? I can tell you that the hiring process of drivers is different then this and I have never experienced it before so If anyone can help me out with this process I would greatly appreciate it
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Most management interviews can be long processes. You may be shuttled to many interviews with in the company. Just be yourself as that is what they are looking for. Consistency is the name of the game.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,399 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

You may have several interviews and you might even be interviewed by several people at the same time. Sort of like a tag team interview.

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

follow your gut and good luck!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you everyone. The first in person interview was like a tag team event. I spoke to the head of the department then to the person who would be my direct supervisor.

I'm looking at it as a positive experience.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

It sounds like it is going well. There are so many non-traditional ways to interview. I once interviewed for a position while having dinner with the interviewers. It was an odd one-they each had their kids there so it did not surprise me when I was not hired. After all, with four young children needing attention, who can actually hear what someone has to say.

It was for the best

Old 08-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

Does your company have a management training program. Maybe they liked what they've seen and decided to consider you for that. Like said above, half-day, multi-level, interviews are not uncommon for corporate management positions.

Either way, the interview sounds like it went great. And they've called you back. I'd say you just have to decide is this new position they are now interviewing you for something you want?

Good luck!
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Katniss

How Do You Identify?:
Dame, doll, twist, dish
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ladylike ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,391 Times in 2,094 Posts
Katniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST Reputation

First off congratulations on being selected to interview for a position you did not directly apply for as that speaks to me that they are serious!

From what I read you had the first (long) round and now you are awaiting the next step? If I read that correctly and you have yet to do so then please;

1. Send thank-you follow up e-mails to the folks you interviewed with and the direct supervisor. Doesn't have to be long, just a "thank you for your time" and then mention something you learned about the position that you think would match your skill set.

2. If you know someone in a position similar to what you are being interviewed for then ask them about their day to day job description. I am assuming you have already researched the company but if not then please do so.

3. When you are called back for the next (and probably final) interview please bring copies of your application and your current c.v. or resume. Yes, the head guy probably has this already but it is always nice for the candidate to offer copies they brought as it shows forethought and organization.

As to the length of the interview that isn't unusual at all. I usually have my team vet the applicant before I meet them and it can take several hours to interview/meet/greet etc. When you are called back to the "head guy" (<---sorry, that phrase always cracks me up but then I am such a mind in the gutter gal) I expect your final interview will be rather short and he/she will merely be verifying what they were already told and read about you. Don't be afraid to ask questions but steer clear of salary/benefits until you are made an offer. Otherwise be yourself as clearly they saw something special and worthwhile in your application or they would not have spent the time on you.

Good luck!!!

Katniss~~
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Katniss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajama View Post
Does your company have a management training program. Maybe they liked what they've seen and decided to consider you for that. Like said above, half-day, multi-level, interviews are not uncommon for corporate management positions.

Either way, the interview sounds like it went great. And they've called you back. I'd say you just have to decide is this new position they are now interviewing you for something you want?

Good luck!
They will train me for the job once it had been created.

I spoke to them again this past week and was told of some issues they are having at one of the satellite businesses that would be part of what I would over see. They asked me if it was too far for me to consider to go there and help get it up and running hire and train someone for there. I told them I could di that.

I was told they need to rework some stuff for that to happen and they would get Back in touch with me next week.

There is the possibility that I would be there permanently and not where we first talked about.

I was told they can't wait to work with. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 4

Thanked 11,662 Times in 2,292 Posts
thedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybear View Post
Ok I have a never been in this situation before. I applied for a job a month ago and then I got a call from the company I applied to. He and I spoke for almost 45 mins and then he asked me to come in for an interview. Now here is where I get confused.

The interview wasn't for the job I applied for but one in upper management I was NOT prepared for that at all nor was I prepared to have an interview that lasted almost 3.5 hrs and I spoke to the person who would be my direct supervisor.

I spoke to them today and was told that within the next couple of weeks I will be coming back for another interview with the head man.

I have had many interviews in my time but always for the job I applied for not a different job completely, and it has never lasted more then 30 mins if that long. Of course I am looking to get out of the truck and into a driver support position but I have never heard of anything like this before

Is this the way the rest of the work world works? Is there any other protocol I should know about? I can tell you that the hiring process of drivers is different then this and I have never experienced it before so If anyone can help me out with this process I would greatly appreciate it
I've conducted about a million interviews. When interviewing for upper management, expect a lot of situational questions. "Tell me about a time when...." The best thing you can do to prepare for this is DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Know the company inside and out, and expect questions that pertain to current troubles in their industry. Read the "news" section of their website. Read their press releases. Google the company and see if they've made the news for anything recently.

Go to LinkedIn, and research the person you'll be meeting with. Where did they work before? Do you have anything in common? Do you have some of the same industry contacts?

Come up with REALLY good questions to ask them, preferably related to what you found doing your homework. If you didn't find much, here are some nice generic ones:

In 6 months/1 years time (whichever seems more appropriate), how will I know I've been successful in this position?
What is the greatest challenge I would have to tackle off the bat?
Do you have any concerns about my knowledge, skills or abilities?
If you're managing a team, what does this team look like? What challenges do they face?

You get the point. Anyway, good luck!
thedivahrrrself is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,603 Times in 3,972 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I use to teach people how to be interviewed..and have taught people how to interview others.

The only thing I want to add with what others have said, was to approach this interview as though you are interviewing them as well. You need to know if this position is the right fit for you. You need to know their expectations of you, from the start, to six months down the road, to where they see you in five years. You want to know about who you are going to supervise and what their strengths and weaknesses are. You want to know the history of why this position was created and why there wasnt a need for it before now. What changed? Ask them what the worst day would be like or what the worst scenario would be? Ask how the company recognizes their employees and how would you play a part in that. Ask them to tell you a success story about an employee.

Above all, be professionally relaxed. Make THEM comfortable. One thing people dont think of, is that the person who is doing the interview is often not trained to do interviews and are sometimes just as uncomfortable as you are being interviewed. That professional relaxed aura will show them you are confident but not arrogant and if you can relax them, they know you will be able to work well with others, too.

good luck and I hope if this job proves to be one you want, you get it!