Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 01-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #41
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

When you dropped the carbs did you increase your essential fats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
Hey Jesse (and other people)

I was wondering if you could tell me (if you remember) if you got headaches when you first cut the carbs way down? And if so, how long they lasted?

I started on January 1st, and the only bad carb I've allowed myself is Triscuits (I can't help it, they are my favourite thing on the planet - but I'm limiting myself to 6 of them in total a day) and starting yesterday I've gotten some really blinding headaches.

I'm pretty sure that cutting out the sugars is where the headaches are coming from (since I'm not sick, stressed, tired, or injured in any way). Are they going to stop soon?
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #42
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
When you dropped the carbs did you increase your essential fats?
I've been snacking on black olives (which I do anyway, because I love them) and walnuts (although I am not supposed to eat nuts because of some medical thing I don't want to tell you about). So...maybe? But possibly not enough.

I haven't really been eating any fruit, so I'm wondering if that's part of my issue. I'm about ready to take on the 6 kiwi that are in my fridge to see if that helps.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #43
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Yeah if not eating carbs you do not want to eat much fruit and only certain types really when you do.

I personally did not get any headaches, my roommate did but they upped their intake of protein and essential oils and the headaches stopped.

For me I know I am not getting enough protein/essential oils when I start craving carbs/sweets.

Quote:
I've been snacking on black olives (which I do anyway, because I love them) and walnuts (although I am not supposed to eat nuts because of some medical thing I don't want to tell you about). So...maybe? But possibly not enough.

I haven't really been eating any fruit, so I'm wondering if that's part of my issue. I'm about ready to take on the 6 kiwi that are in my fridge to see if that helps.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #44
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Yeah if not eating carbs you do not want to eat much fruit and only certain types really when you do.

I personally did not get any headaches, my roommate did but they upped their intake of protein and essential oils and the headaches stopped.

For me I know I am not getting enough protein/essential oils when I start craving carbs/sweets.
I'm thinking for myself I probably should have eased into it instead of just jumping in. Before January 1st I was drinking energy drinks at work (and you KNOW what is in those fuckers!) so to totally cut out everything including the stuff that mother nature made has probably put my body into some sort of shock.

Maybe I should eat a piece of fruit every day until my body stops throwing tantrums because I won't buy Rockstar? (Not bananas, though. Those are the devil.)
Old 01-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #45
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Yeah or else just make sure you are getting 30 or 40 carbs a day for a while before dropping further down. Just remember to eat the essential fats because they are what replaces the carbs for this type of eating plan.

Quote:
I'm thinking for myself I probably should have eased into it instead of just jumping in. Before January 1st I was drinking energy drinks at work (and you KNOW what is in those fuckers!) so to totally cut out everything including the stuff that mother nature made has probably put my body into some sort of shock.

Maybe I should eat a piece of fruit every day until my body stops throwing tantrums because I won't buy Rockstar? (Not bananas, though. Those are the devil.)
Old 01-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #46
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,950 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Many energy drinks are high in caffeine, including Rockstar. That could also be part of the problem. Caffeine withdrawal can cause ugly and/or chronic headaches.
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #47
Joe Mario

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
'He' will be fine.
Relationship Status:
happily involved

Joe Mario Has the BEST ReputationJoe Mario Has the BEST ReputationJoe Mario Has the BEST ReputationJoe Mario Has the BEST ReputationJoe Mario Has the BEST ReputationJoe Mario Has the BEST ReputationJoe Mario Has the BEST ReputationJoe Mario Has the BEST ReputationJoe Mario Has the BEST ReputationJoe Mario Has the BEST ReputationJoe Mario Has the BEST Reputation
Default Recipe

Thanks for the recipe, Jess. I noticed there is no flour in the recipe. Is this correct?

I made Peanutbutter Cookies last month with Soy Flour substituted for the wheat flour in my family recipe. I also added some flax meal to add a bit more fiber and further reduce the net carbs .

Soy flour has 1/3 (or less) the carbs of wheat flour plus more fiber. It also has protien, which is absent in wheat flour. I don't know why bakeries don't make (100%) Soy Flour baked goods; they'd make a fortune.
Quote:
Lo Carb Peanut Butter Cookies

I have been making these for years, not knowing when I first started baking them that they are lo carb. I use only organic peanut butter. The ones that just have roasted peanuts on the ingredient list. The ones with sugar and other stuff in them, are not lo carb and the texture of the cookies will be very crumbly and they will fall apart.

• 2 cups peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup raw sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Note: These cookies do like to spread out a bit while baking, so leave space between each cookie. Also for even lower carbs, exchange the sugar with a sugar substitute of your choice.

Ciao,
~Joe Mario
Joe Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Mario For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #48
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Scarlett View Post
Many energy drinks are high in caffeine, including Rockstar. That could also be part of the problem. Caffeine withdrawal can cause ugly and/or chronic headaches.
I'm drinking tonnes of coffee still. I have no intention of giving -that- particular vice up...so I really don't think I'm having caffeine withdrawl. Haha, unless I'm so far gone that 6+ cups of coffee a day isn't good enough for me.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #49
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,382 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Subscribing..

Good to find this thread, I am doing basically a paleo routine and really enjoying how I feel on it. Sticking to an all organic macronutrient ratio of 20% protein, 70% fats (half mono, half saturated), and 10% carbs from high water content sources.

Enjoying reading how other folks are taking this on.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #50
citybutch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to "hey you" (either works for me!)
Relationship Status:
19 years together- Very Married for 10 years

Thanked 1,195 Times in 355 Posts
citybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputation

Going to make this tonight! Sounds yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebon View Post
Thanks for starting this thread I'm a big fan of high protein/low carb eating.

I made this once when I was doing the Atkins thing and it was delicious!! I found this recipe online it might be different from the actual atkins one. The Peanut Butter Coconut Sauce turns out delicious.

# 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
# 1 cup coconut milk
# 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
# 2 tablespoons soy sauce
# 1 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
# 1 teaspoon ground ginger
# 2 garlic cloves, chopped
# 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
# 2 lbs chicken cutlets
# 30 wooden skewers, soaked for 30 mins

1. 1 mix first 8 ingredients, remove 3/4 and refrigerate.
2. 2 cut chicken into strips and marinate in remaining sauce for 1 hour.
3. 3 heat broiler, thread strips onto skewers and broil about 6 minutes.
4. 4 bring refrigerated sauce to room temp and use as a dip for the chicken.

Take care of your body, take care of your health... You never know when the walls cave in and it all changes for good.
citybutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to citybutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #51
WingsOnFire

How Do You Identify?:
Queer..femme.. .babygirl...girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female Ones...
Relationship Status:
Enjoying life but ready to meet someone

Thanked 12,476 Times in 3,357 Posts
WingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

subscribing for later...

Previously known as MidnightBlueEyes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://gailsforum.files.wordpress.co...-psd340941.png
WingsOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WingsOnFire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #52
citybutch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to "hey you" (either works for me!)
Relationship Status:
19 years together- Very Married for 10 years

Thanked 1,195 Times in 355 Posts
citybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputation

Am a total coffee nut... but I keep it to no more than three cups in the morning... (OK, the third is really a grande from Starbucks or our local Persian coffee place... YUM!)

Quote:
I'm drinking tonnes of coffee still. I have no intention of giving -that- particular vice up...so I really don't think I'm having caffeine withdrawl. Haha, unless I'm so far gone that 6+ cups of coffee a day isn't good enough for me.

Take care of your body, take care of your health... You never know when the walls cave in and it all changes for good.
citybutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to citybutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #53
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hey Jesse (and other people)

I was wondering if you could tell me (if you remember) if you got headaches when you first cut the carbs way down? And if so, how long they lasted?

I started on January 1st, and the only bad carb I've allowed myself is Triscuits (I can't help it, they are my favourite thing on the planet - but I'm limiting myself to 6 of them in total a day) and starting yesterday I've gotten some really blinding headaches.

I'm pretty sure that cutting out the sugars is where the headaches are coming from (since I'm not sick, stressed, tired, or injured in any way). Are they going to stop soon?
When I hop back on low carbs, I always have headaches the first 3-4 days. I find that increasing my water intake seems to help ramp them down.

I still consume vast amount of coffee (usually accompanied by nicotine) and don't likely see that changing.

Best of luck to you. You might want to try an OTC pain med taken with a full glass of water and backed with a cup of coffee. The caffiene seems to "jump start" the meds for me (or I just use Execdrine Migraine which has caffiene in it).
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #54
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybutch View Post
Going to make this tonight! Sounds yummy!
It was delicious. I hope you enjoy it.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #55
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation
Default My "sweet treat"

I have been low-carbing for years (on and off) and always just feel so much better when I am not elbow deep in a bag of Doritos.

For the days I need a sweet, I use the following recipe:

1/2 c. whole milk ricotta cheese
1 pkt Splenda
1 TBS vanilla extract

Whip it all in a bowl and its almost like pudding.

I've also used other extract flavors - almond, orange, coconut.

Here is a link to the nutritional value of the ricotta:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-products/35/2

I have found that website to be a godsend when looking for nutritional value information.
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #56
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by christie0918 View Post
When I hop back on low carbs, I always have headaches the first 3-4 days. I find that increasing my water intake seems to help ramp them down.

I still consume vast amount of coffee (usually accompanied by nicotine) and don't likely see that changing.

Best of luck to you. You might want to try an OTC pain med taken with a full glass of water and backed with a cup of coffee. The caffiene seems to "jump start" the meds for me (or I just use Execdrine Migraine which has caffiene in it).
Thanks, Christie

So I found out that the headaches were TOTALLY sugar withdrawl. I ate two Kiwi shortly after posting last night and the headache went away.

Mind you, it came back at 4am.

I'm surprised that I'm having so much difficulty with this, to be honest. I have never been much of a starch eater to begin with (I don't eat pasta because it gives me a stomache ache, I hate potato, I don't keep bread in the house, and I only ate rice once a week). I guess between the energy drinks, and the fruit (I always ate a LOT of fruit) there was a lot of sugar going into my body.

Mmmm, fruit.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #57
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
It also has protein, which is absent in wheat flour.
Wheat flour has protein in it. Soy flour has more protein than wheat flour. Wheat flour has gluten. Soy flour has no gluten.

A couple of links:

wheat flour http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_flour

soy flour http://www.soyfoods.com/soyfoodsdesc.../soyflour.html

Don't forget your veggies and fruits.

I generally eat higher protein and less carbs. I do love potatoes.
Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #58
Nikki

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Doesn't Matter
Relationship Status:
very attached

Nikki Has the BEST ReputationNikki Has the BEST ReputationNikki Has the BEST ReputationNikki Has the BEST ReputationNikki Has the BEST ReputationNikki Has the BEST ReputationNikki Has the BEST ReputationNikki Has the BEST ReputationNikki Has the BEST ReputationNikki Has the BEST ReputationNikki Has the BEST Reputation

Hi
It's been awhile since I have posted around these parts. I just recently found an amazing new soda that has stevia in it and wanted to share in case no one has seen it.

http://www.zevia.com/index.html

ZEVIA Cola

Made with hints of citrus and pure kola nut, ZEVIA Cola is a crisp and refreshing beverage perfect for anytime of the day or night.
0 calories, net carbs and sugars. Very low in sodium.

Ingredients Include:

- Triple Filtered Carbonated Water
- Erythritol
- Caramel Color
- Tartaric Acid
- Stevia
- Fumaric Acid
- Caffeine
- Natural Flavors
- Citrus Oil
- Kola Nut Extract
- Citric Acid
Always 100% Natural

We care about what we drink and know you do too. ZEVIA sodas contain only the highest quality, 100% natural ingredients.

They have 6 different flavors. The taste is pretty good. I have not drank any sodas for about a year and a half and since I have only drank ice tea products, I have become rather bored.

Namaste!
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nikki For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #59
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Joe,

Correct, no flour in these and I have no problems with them falling apart unless I use a cheaper PB.

I for one do not use soy flour due to the estrogen properties. If I need flour, I use an almond flour, but find that I rarely if ever actually need it for anything. Sometimes, I will add flax meal to these as well as other baked goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mario View Post
Thanks for the recipe, Jess. I noticed there is no flour in the recipe. Is this correct?

I made Peanutbutter Cookies last month with Soy Flour substituted for the wheat flour in my family recipe. I also added some flax meal to add a bit more fiber and further reduce the net carbs .

Soy flour has 1/3 (or less) the carbs of wheat flour plus more fiber. It also has protien, which is absent in wheat flour. I don't know why bakeries don't make (100%) Soy Flour baked goods; they'd make a fortune.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #60
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Hi Kelt,

I am mostly sticking to an eating plan consisting of 20-30 complex carbs daily, 30 protein and 40-50 essential fats. My carbs come mostly from raw asparagus and spinach, cauliflower etc. Sometimes I skim a little and eat some healthy carb pasta or have a slice of lo carb bread, but that is actually not very often anymore. With protein I aim for the high purine meats and now eat only organic dark meat as well. I eat fruit only on rare occasions now due to the high sugar in it. My goal is to lower my carbs to 10% daily.

I find I have much more energy eating this way, and am also losing inches steadily. I also do not feel lethargic after eating a big meal like I did when eating carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
Subscribing..

Good to find this thread, I am doing basically a paleo routine and really enjoying how I feel on it. Sticking to an all organic macronutrient ratio of 20% protein, 70% fats (half mono, half saturated), and 10% carbs from high water content sources.

Enjoying reading how other folks are taking this on.

Tags
carbs, healthy fats, high protein, low carbs, paleo