Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Religion, Spirituality, Mysticism

Old 04-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #21
gracefaith

How Do You Identify?:
me

gracefaith will become famous soon enough
Default Neale Donald Walsch

I've never heard of Neale Donald Walsch... I seach him online http://www.nealedonaldwalsch.com/

Wow on his website I learn he invites 12 people or less to stay at his home for 5 days...

This is what it says on his website...

SPEND 5 DAYS WITH NEALE AT HIS OWN HOME...

Twice a year Neale Donald Walsch invites a tiny handful of people (12 or less) to his home for an ongoing informal conversation exploring, more deeply than he can in any other setting, all of the messages of CWG---what they mean and how they can be overlaid upon our moment-to-moment experience. Called THE HOMECOMING, this very special time with Neale is only for those who are deeply committed to learning and applying CWG at a very high level in their daily life.

Here is an opportunity of a lifetime…

…to dine, to play (there are parlor games in the evenings), to swim in the grotto-pool, and most of all to sit quietly and to talk uninterruptedly with the author of the worldwide bestseller Conversations with God about how the messages affected his life and how they can affect yours. An intimate and personal visit with Neale and his wife, the American poet Em Claire, these five days on a hilltop home in beautiful Ashland, Oregon will prove to be...

…A SPECIAL TIME THAT YOU WILL NEVER FORGET.

Wow that's something else about how the author invites people to his home and spends time with them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybutch View Post
Thanks for sharing Andrew. I have a very similar experience. I was in a really tough relationship, my brother was dying of colon cancer... and I was struggling in my career. I had a very difficult time finding my center. I was flying back East once a month to be with my brother and family. A couple things brought me to some level of peace:

Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsch was sitting on my Mother's coffee table and I picked it up and never put it down...

My good friend Mary Daly was on the Roseanne Show (talk show) and a bunch of us were there in the Green Room with her and the audience as well... And Mary's words were basically "Get OUT of the Fear"...

And a transformative drive back to San Diego after the taping of that show... I literally had to stop on the side of the highway with what felt like an A-HA moment. I also identify it as a spiritual touch.

My relationship ended shortly after this... My brother died a few months later... But I had my center... somehow I made it through.

By the end of the year I had met the woman who would become my wife, made Comeback of the Year award from my company, among a few other stand out events.

I seek out my spiritual center at many points every day of my life. Although I find guidance from the words of Jesus and the Christ within me... I also draw direction and guidance from many different spiritual traditions.

There is no one path to God....
gracefaith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gracefaith For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #22
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

I am very wary of when famous people or celebrities invite the public to their homes. I have too many experiences of the above, with negative outcomes. For me and me alone, it is a matter of trust. Remember you just do not know what happens behind the closed doors of a home. There are just too many risks involved with that in my opinion.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #23
gracefaith

How Do You Identify?:
me

Default vent it went to I guess

I read what you wrote...

you've gone through so much.

I too have gone through a lot...

There's times though I had found me so angry at God though., but it seems then eventually God and I talk about my anger... its like God is still teaching me about anger... I have a ways yet to go about anger...

I can at times trust God even when it doesn't make anysense, but other times its as if I need to let my anger out towards God...

now how did I go towards this word anger... I don't know, but it seems there's this hope, purpose, desires, and when its taken away, I have deep emotions and there's times I'll try to suppress these emotions and all it does is it gets worse...

But its like I can't suppress my emotions for long as I eventually dirrect my emotions at God.

But the part I'm learning is my relationship with God is: eventually through my allowing God, then the very emotions that I dirrect to God is renewed and God teaches me more about the emotions...

I guess what I'm saying is: there's no way I can be nice 100% to God at all times... It seems that God gets my all, all of me, just as I am...

And I really am learning and in my learning, its so personal and yet, if someone was going to observe me, actually my own folks, looks down on me, for the type of relationship I have with God., as my folks are more church looking good type with so many laws they try to keep...

I can't do that, keep any image...

There's so manythings that happens that brings me down that I dont' know how people can actually always have a nice image with God...

I can't have a nice image with God, and in this, as I'm real with God, ...

I went to God when so down, and it wasn't pretty, but it was then I learn first hand from God.

God is my friend and there living in me,

thankyou for sharing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

Dear Citybutch,

Thank you for your kind post. It made me smile ear to ear. Yes, the path to God is not a one way street as alot of folks believe it is or would like to think it is.

I have come to learn from others visually like Shirley MacLaine, Roy Rogers and his wife Dale Evans, plus those who have a gift like Damon Brinkley. God has always drawn me from an early age because of the abuse I endured, and I asked for help from God. However, the spirits are very obvious to me. I think because I am not like most people. I don't have a voice like others. My voice is internal. I hope this makes sense.

I feel that there is more to life than what we know it to be. There are those who feel like they have to eat fish on Friday end of story. Then you have those people who have other views. The God I know to be is of love. For example someone said that God is punishing Japan so He caused the earthquake and the tsuami and now the nuclear nightmare. It makes me very nervous so I don't watch the news now. But I know God did not have anything to do with that mess. It is the same with my sister dying of skin cancer. God had nothing to do with that. She died from cancer. Cancer is horrible. It makes me sad, and want to scream at the top of my lungs. I pray for a cure every day. I hope to see that happen one day.

It is my faith and belief system that knows my sister is safe, happy, and healthy now. She isn't suffering. What most people don't know online is that I was the last person to see her alive. She died 45 min. later after I left her. I went directly to St. Jude's Shrine. I prayed to Mary and Jesus to take her. I would rather suffer missing her, and the pain involved, than to witness her suffering.

What I don't understand is why folks want to start a pissing battle online over who is right or wrong on someone's faith? It makes no sense to me. It doesn't matter what site it is on because I have seen it time and time again. That to me is just a reflection of how much this still a big controversy. Again, like someone wants to debate who is/is not psychic, orbs, ghosts, spirits, the knights of Templar, Mormans, and so on. It is what it is.

Now before my sister died from cancer, I had to endure my adopted step father dying from bone cancer, then my adopted mother dying from Altzheimer's Disease. My older adopted gay brother read the book you mentioned. He got alot from the book. I read a few pages and put it down. It went in one ear and out the other. I have no clue as to what I read. Nodda.

I just wish others would have an open mind and heart to this. I just see so much hatred and opinions that it has to be one way only. It isn't. Life is not like that.

Thank you again for your post. I very much enjoyed it.

Namaste,
Andrew
Old 04-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #24
gracefaith

How Do You Identify?:
me

Default This is an awesome group

This is an awesome group...

Thank you for sharing spiritually...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gracefaith For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #25
gracefaith

How Do You Identify?:
me

Default Andrew me learning direct while onto God

That's awesome Andrew me and you keep our eyes on the Lord... Yes yes yes...

however there's times I don't have my eyes on the Lord and I really feel it in my spirit... However I'm learning... Learning how to keep my eyes on the Lord...

Um, as strange as this may seem; but let me run this across you ok...

(first I must let you know, at times I struggle with communication ok, I'm improving a lot so maybe its not noticeable...)

ok, um, there's times I have needs yet I'll dismiss my needs in order to align to someone else's idea of what they think is right.

In this I've been learning from God, that I need to align not on someone's so call what is right but actually align on doing what direction I was planning on and doing that direction onto God...

I wonder if this sounds so confusing... But this group is about spiritual learning and well this is the latest thing I've been learning...

Let me see if I can sum this up...

for you see, I have difficulties directing myself as I tend to be a people pleaser, or shall I say very passive...

anyways, I've been learning lately in order for me to do the area that I'm week in which is directing myself in a decision, I can't lean on if it looks good or right in anybodies eyes, but instead, to go lean on doing it onto God...

What happens is I'll get my eyes off of God and onto how others feels as a reverence for my direction.

so this I'm learning is in-spite how my own mind trips me up through analyzing how others feels, I'm doing a direction onto God and its ok to be look upon as wrong or bad, as I do it onto God,

ok do you see what I mean how its difficult for me to communicate?

if non of this makes sense; um, I guess maybe it'll take me time to find words;

to do onto God and not serve others emotions, but go in a direction onto God while other emotions happens while I do nothing about other emotions, but just do onto God my direction plan.

when I do nothing about other emotions, it allows me not having other emotions as my false god.

for when I do for others emotions I then no longer do onto God but I have my eyes off of God and have my eyes on others emotions...

this is what I'm learning... Lately...

I tend to want to make everyone happy and this in it self traps me to have my eyes off of God and onto other emotions...

When I wonder if someone is not happy I go crazy and want to fix it... This keeps my eyes off of God and onto a false god called emotions...

so I'm a baby in this learning and stumbling all over; but for me to keep my eyes onto God, I'll allow God teach me in the midst of the two things happening; any pulls that pulls me towards a false god called others emotions, while in the midst allowing God teach me how to continue my direction doing onto God;

its as if to be in it yes while allowing God teach me how; yes; be in it and allow God teach me;

not to run from but be in it, and allow;

yes yes yes...

allow; I feel God's peace as I'm in it, I'm in it, the pull... I won't run; but instead allow God teach me how...

how to do it onto God a direction yes,

any typing error please then interpret it in your mind to how it should be. Cause this is a long post I wrote...

Quote:

Gracefaith,

Thank you for your post. I too keep my eyes on the Lord. "My eyes are ever fixed on the Lord, for He releases my feet from the snare. O look at me and be merciful, for I am wretched and alone." Ezekiel 36:23-26

Then I think of the psalm that we sing in Mass - "If today you hear His voice, harden not your hearts."

Old 04-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #26
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Dear Grace,

Let me start by stating I appreciate your posts. I enjoy them.

One of the questions you asked me is about my life from what I gather. I look at my life like this. I would love for everyone to get along, and to be a part of our whole community as 1. However, there are people who have different personalities, and different cultures/regions/religions/identities that separate us. Again, we don't know what the masterplan is that God has for us, individually or as a whole.

There is a huge difference between being sensitive, taking things personally and defending one's honor vs gossip. It is risky letting people into your life. But God tells us to love each other, help each other, take care of each other, and grow with each other. Over time you learn who is trustworthy and who is not. Who is this or that, and they know the same of you. Same with God. Are you a spectator for God and working on the sidelines? OR a disciple for God?

Now my house is built on a firm foundation. It isn't built on sand or dirt. The rains will come, and the floods have come. Winds, tornados, winter storms, heat, and on and on. I believe that most people want to do what is right, but deciding to do what is right is hard for them. They want to be a part of a click. That power of emotion is so great. The rock of my foundation comes from God. Pure and simple. I pray, I used to fast, before I was diabetic. I go to Mass. I read/listen to God's Word (Bible). But I also read/listen to other religious beliefs. There is more to God than just one religion. God is in nature. God is in each one of us. We are all children of our creator. To be treasured and loved.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Namaste,
Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #27
citybutch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to "hey you" (either works for me!)
Relationship Status:
19 years together- Very Married for 10 years

Thanked 1,196 Times in 355 Posts
citybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputation

Faith

I am strong, positive and powerful.

Every person has a purpose. I may discover mine when I am troubled by a situation and feel called to be part of the solution. The path may not be perfectly clear; I may not know what action to take. Nevertheless, I begin right where I am. I trust my inner wisdom to show me the way.

Rather than worry about making a mistake, I pray and take one small step. I trust that God will place a lamp before my feet, guiding me as I go.

As I give of myself in sacred service, everything I need is provided. I joyfully do what is mine to do. My faith grows even deeper as I give from my abundance. As I step out in faith, I am strong, positive and powerful.

You see that faith was active along with his works.--James 2:22

http://www.dailyword.com/dailyword/51893

Take care of your body, take care of your health... You never know when the walls cave in and it all changes for good.
citybutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citybutch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #28
gracefaith

How Do You Identify?:
me

Default Andrew I'm responding to your post

Hi Andrew...

I'm glad you enjoy my posts and I thoroughly enjoy your posts too... (smiles...)

You said, "I would love for everyone to get along, and to be a part of our whole community as 1 However, there are people who have different personalities, and different cultures/regions/religions/identities that separate us. Again, we don't know what the masterplan is that God has for us, individually or as a whole."

Me responding: me too., I would love if everyone get along and be part of our whole community as one... And I understand about separation due to these things you mention...

I think this is the most challenge for me is this so call either connection or feeling separated...

I think where its most painful in separation is when it happens in the family from grandparents to grandchildren or parents to their children; something there when separated is so core,

this area puzzles me in hours of analyzing and very deep pull for me to tend to want to fix when I sense this any where,

Another thought to ponder is: does it begin in the family and then branch outward to community in this area of either connection and separation?

if any separation from these things you were speaking of, are they stem from family upbringing if one digs far enough where its coming from?

Also I too, don't know all of God's master plan, but I have been learning why I'm on earth its for my deeper understanding about relationships between God and us and all of us in what sharing means...

You say, "There is a huge difference between being sensitive, taking things personally and defending one's honor vs gossip. It is risky letting people into your life. But God tells us to love each other, help each other, take care of each other, and grow with each other. Over time you learn who is trustworthy and who is not. Who is this or that, and they know the same of you. Same with God. Are you a spectator for God and working on the sidelines? OR a disciple for God?"

Me responding: I do know I'm way overly sensitive and many times take things very personally... This type of personality that I have clashes with other personality that's fast pace on the go all the time...

I feel I'm a disciple for God, I notice an area of learning that's personal, and it might not jive with others if I speak about what I'm learning; this in it self I wonder if God teaches all of us in a different ways and different insights, for our unique personalities...

I hear you about loving others and helping others and take care of others, but also understanding who we can trust, for some might be dysfunctional and might pull us into their dysfunctional ways...

To know these things and not get caught up in it but keep our eyes on God, is even my challenge, I tend to get pulled into perhaps this is gossip now thinking of it,

I'd never thought of it as gossip, but pulled into others dysfunctions and then become very dysfunctional too as I tend to want to fix, I'll look more into this, as this came to me as I'm writing you this posts - I've never associated this with gossip but now thinking of it - its gossip.

You were saying, "Now my house is built on a firm foundation. It isn't built on sand or dirt. The rains will come, and the floods have come. Winds, tornados, winter storms, heat, and on and on. I believe that most people want to do what is right, but deciding to do what is right is hard for them. They want to be a part of a click. That power of emotion is so great. The rock of my foundation comes from God. Pure and simple. I pray, I used to fast, before I was diabetic. I go to Mass. I read/listen to God's Word (Bible). But I also read/listen to other religious beliefs. There is more to God than just one religion. God is in nature. God is in each one of us. We are all children of our creator. To be treasured and loved."

me responding, "I'm glad your house is built on firm foundation and not on sand and dirt... I hear you, as I'm learning more about firm foundation...

My only type of identity that's built on firm foundation is that I'm a child of God. any other identity I understand is temporary and I can't count on them, for if I did then I will have a foundation on sand...

If I could sing, could I rely on my identity that I can sing; no... for singing is built on sand... for what will happen if something happens to my voice, I'll have an identity crises... however weather I can sing or not, I can be a child of God., so this I can count on for my identity...

I'm using singing as an example...

you mention about and I too was writing about emotions; I so agree with you my rock of my foundation comes from God. also I agree with you about other religions; I love learning from other religions as well, I learn form Buddhism about the circle and I apply this in my life...

I also believe we're all children of God... I believe God lives in all of us, and we're not separated from God... its of lies that people believe they're separated, and I think this is what happens in separation of communities is of lies as well...

however there's people who really believe they're separated from God and or from others, even I had believe in these lies when it came to separation from others: especially when it looks like I'm separated from others... feeling alone...

One of the things I hadn't of yet experience is feeling separated from God, I hadn't of yet felt this or believe in this lie of that.,

my life has been more a struggle feeling connected with people and during my dark hours I had only God to go to., so I hadn't of yet experience this lie that I'm separated from God, however I have witness others who actually believe they are separated from God and or believe that others are separated from God...

So I agree with you, how we're all children of God and how we can learn from other religions... as well as I have found the richness form learning from God who lives in me...

Thank you so much for sharing and yes your answering questions; my wondering is how to write a posts, does that make sense?

to articulate is a fine art...

thank you for being you here and sharing...

Quote:

Dear Grace,

Let me start by stating I appreciate your posts. I enjoy them.

One of the questions you asked me is about my life from what I gather. I look at my life like this. I would love for everyone to get along, and to be a part of our whole community as 1. However, there are people who have different personalities, and different cultures/regions/religions/identities that separate us. Again, we don't know what the masterplan is that God has for us, individually or as a whole.

There is a huge difference between being sensitive, taking things personally and defending one's honor vs gossip. It is risky letting people into your life. But God tells us to love each other, help each other, take care of each other, and grow with each other. Over time you learn who is trustworthy and who is not. Who is this or that, and they know the same of you. Same with God. Are you a spectator for God and working on the sidelines? OR a disciple for God?

Now my house is built on a firm foundation. It isn't built on sand or dirt. The rains will come, and the floods have come. Winds, tornados, winter storms, heat, and on and on. I believe that most people want to do what is right, but deciding to do what is right is hard for them. They want to be a part of a click. That power of emotion is so great. The rock of my foundation comes from God. Pure and simple. I pray, I used to fast, before I was diabetic. I go to Mass. I read/listen to God's Word (Bible). But I also read/listen to other religious beliefs. There is more to God than just one religion. God is in nature. God is in each one of us. We are all children of our creator. To be treasured and loved.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Namaste,
Andrew
Old 04-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #29
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Dear Grace,

Thank you for your post to me. I am sure others enjoyed it as well.

For me, I use other religious principles like Buddist, & Judism intertwined with my Christain values. For me, there is no right or wrong when it comes to worship or praising God. It is a means of living life - making the right decisions for me (and me alone).

Life is a struggle for me. Every day is tough. But like I say one day is enough. So I live day to day. For the last 2-3 years I have endured major loss, personal devistation, and my health has really gone down hill. If you have your health, you are so very blessed. It is so expensive to be sick here in the States. That is why I am such a huge advocate for universal healthcare coverage for everyone. My faith is the only thing that has kept me going.

I never wish evil on anyone, but at the sametime, there are some people I just do not wish them well. It is a personal take of mine. I have witnessed karma in action and it is a bear. Something I never want to endure.

People are people every where you go. Good and bad. It is a matter of figuring them out. I struggle with that.

I hope this makes sense.

Namaste,
Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #30
storyofmylife

How Do You Identify?:
silly femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly,Madly,Deeply Engaged ♥♡

storyofmylife Has the BEST Reputationstoryofmylife Has the BEST Reputationstoryofmylife Has the BEST Reputationstoryofmylife Has the BEST Reputationstoryofmylife Has the BEST Reputationstoryofmylife Has the BEST Reputationstoryofmylife Has the BEST Reputationstoryofmylife Has the BEST Reputationstoryofmylife Has the BEST Reputationstoryofmylife Has the BEST Reputationstoryofmylife Has the BEST Reputation
Smile Great thread

What a Blessing to read!
storyofmylife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to storyofmylife For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #31
citybutch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

citybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputation

The Buddha summarized the correct attitude and actions in the Eight-fold Noble Path:

(The first 3 are avoiding the 10 non-virtues of mind, speech and body

1. Correct thought: avoiding covetousness, the wish to harm others and wrong views (like thinking: actions have no consequences, I never have any problems, there are no ways to end suffering etc.)

2. Correct speech: avoid lying, divisive and harsh speech and idle gossip.

3. Correct actions: avoid killing, stealing and sexual misconduct

4. Correct livelihood: try to make a living with the above attitude of thought, speech and actions.

5. Correct understanding: developing genuine wisdom.

(The last three aspects refer mainly to the practice of meditation

6. Correct effort: after the first real step we need joyful perseverance to continue.

7. Correct mindfulness: try to be aware of the "here and now", instead of dreaming in the "there and then".

8. Correct concentration: to keep a steady, calm and attentive state of mind.

Hmmm wonder what it means "avoid sexual misconduct"?... I kinda enjoy some kink! hehe

Take care of your body, take care of your health... You never know when the walls cave in and it all changes for good.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citybutch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #32
citybutch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

1. What Is Right View (Thought)?

When the steps of the Eightfold Path are presented in a list, usually Right View is the first step (even though there is no "first" step). Right View supports wisdom. Wisdom in this sense is the understanding of things as they are, as explained in the teachings of the Four Noble Truths.

This understanding is not mere intellectual understanding. It is instead a thorough penetration of the Four Noble Truths. Theravada scholar Wapola Rahula called this penetration "seeing a thing in its true nature, without name and label." (What the Buddha Taught, page 49)

Vietnamese Zen Teacher Thich Nhat Hanh wrote,

"Our happiness and the happiness of those around us depend on our degree of Right View. Touching reality deeply -- knowing what is going on inside and outside of ourselves -- is the way to liberate ourselves from the suffering that is caused by wrong perceptions. Right View is not an ideology, a system, or even a path. It is the insight we have into the reality of life, a living insight that fills us with understanding, peace, and love." (The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching, page 51)

In Mahayana Buddhism, prajna is associated with the intimate realization of shunyata -- the teaching that all phenomena are empty of intrinsic being.
Cultivating Right View

Right View develops from practice of the Eightfold Path. For example, the practice of samadhi through Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration prepares the mind for penetrating insight. Meditation is associated with "Right Concentration."

Ethical conduct through Right Speech, Right Action and Right Livelihood also support Right View through cultivation of compassion. Compassion and wisdom are said to be the two wings of Buddhism. Compassion helps us break through our narrow, self-centered views, which enables wisdom. Wisdom helps us realize nothing is really separate, which enables compassion.

By the same token, the wisdom parts of the path -- Right View and Right Thought -- support the other parts of the path. Ignorance is one of the root poisons that brings with it greed and ill-will.
The Role of Doctrine in Buddhism

The Buddha taught his followers not to accept his or any other teachings on blind faith. Instead, by examining teachings in the light of our own experience, we judge for ourselves what teachings we accept as true.

However, this doesn't mean the doctrines of Buddhism are optional for Buddhists. Many converts to Buddhism in the West seem to think that all they need is meditation and mindfulness, and that the many doctrines of the Four This and Six That and Twelve Something Else can be ignored. This frivolous attitude is not exactly Right Effort.

Walpola Rahula said of the Eightfold Path, "Practically the whole teaching of the Buddha, to which he devoted himself during 45 years, deals in some way or other with this path." The Buddha explained the Eightfold Path in many different ways, to reach people in different stages of spiritual development.

While Right View is not about doctrinal orthodoxy, that doesn't mean it has no connection to doctrine at all. Thich Nhat Hanh says, "Right View is, most of all, a deep understanding of the Four Noble Truths." Acquaintance with the Four Noble Truths is a big help, to say the least.

As I explained earlier, the Eightfold Path is part of the Four Noble Truths; in fact, it is the Fourth Noble Truth. Right View is penetrating insight into the nature of reality as described in the Four Noble Truths. So, while Right View is something much more profound that merely understanding doctrine, doctrine is still important and should not be brushed aside.

Although these teachings do not have to be "believed in" on faith, they should be understood provisionally. The teachings provide essential guidance, keeping us on the path to genuine wisdom. Without them, mindfulness and meditation can become just self-improvement projects.

A grounding in the teachings presented through the Four Noble Truths includes not just the Truths themselves, but also teachings on how everything is interconnected (Dependent Origination) and on the nature of individual existence (the Five Skandhas). As Walpola Rahula said, the Buddha spent 45 years explaining these teachings. They are what make Buddhism a distinctive spiritual path.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/theeigh.../rightview.htm

Quote:
The Buddha summarized the correct attitude and actions in the Eight-fold Noble Path:

1. Correct thought: avoiding covetousness, the wish to harm others and wrong views (like thinking: actions have no consequences, I never have any problems, there are no ways to end suffering etc.)

4. Correct livelihood: try to make a living with the above attitude of thought, speech and actions.

6. Correct effort: after the first real step we need joyful perseverance to continue.

7. Correct mindfulness: try to be aware of the "here and now", instead of dreaming in the "there and then".

Hmmm wonder what it means "avoid sexual misconduct"?... I kinda enjoy some kink! hehe

The Following User Says Thank You to citybutch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #33
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile TGIF!

CityButch,

For me, it is the 10 Commandments. What part is hard for anyone to really follow? I know that personally I struggle with the commandment about honoring one's parents. Mine are nuts. So with that said, I just go with the flow. I avoid them, as they do me. But really when you break it down, it is a matter of the Golden Rule.

Andrew
Old 04-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #34
citybutch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

2. Right Intention (seems as though the first three are closely related in thought and action):

The second aspect of the Eightfold Path of Buddhism is Right Intention or Right Thought, or samma sankappa in Pali. Right View and Right Intention together are the "Wisdom Path," the parts of the path that cultivate wisdom (prajna). Why are our thoughts or intentions so important?

We tend to think that thoughts don't count; only what we actually do matters. But the Buddha said in the Dhammapada that our thoughts are the forerunner of our actions (Max Muller translation):

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him, as the wheel follows the foot of the ox that draws the carriage.

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him."

The Buddha also taught that what we think, along with what we say and how we act, create karma. So, what we think is as important as what we do.
Three Kinds of Right Intention

The Buddha taught that there are three kinds of Right Intention, which counter three kinds of wrong intention. These are:

1. The intention of renunciation, which counters the intention of desire.
2. The intention of good will, which counters the intention of ill will.
3. The intention of harmlessness, which counters the intention of harmfulness.

Renunciation

To renounce is to give up or let go of something, or to disown it. To practice renunciation doesn't necessarily mean you have to give away all your possessions and live in a cave, however. The real issue is not objects or possessions themselves, but our attachment to them. If you give away things but are still attached to them, you haven't really renounced them.

Sometimes in Buddhism you hear that monks and nuns are "renounced ones." To take monastic vows is a powerful act of renunciation, but that doesn't necessarily mean that laypeople cannot follow the Eightfold Path. What's most important is to not attach to things, but remember that attachment comes from viewing ourselves and other things in a delusional way. Fully appreciate that all phenomena are transient and limited -- as the Diamond Sutra says (Chapter 32),

"This is how to contemplate our conditioned existence in this fleeting world:

"Like a tiny drop of dew, or a bubble floating in a stream;
Like a flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
Or a flickering lamp, an illusion, a phantom, or a dream.

"So is all conditioned existence to be seen."

As laypeople, we live in a world of possessions. To function in society, we need a home, clothing, food, probably a car. To do my work I really need a computer. We get into trouble, however, when we forget that we and our "things" are bubbles in a stream. And of course it's important to not take or hoard more than we need.
Good Will

Another word for "good will" is metta, or "loving kindness." We cultivate loving kindness for all beings, without discrimination or selfish attachment, to overcome anger, ill will, hatred and aversion.

According to the Metta Sutta, a Buddhist should cultivate for all beings the same love a mother would feel for her child. This love does not discriminate between benevolent people and malicious people. It is a love in which"I" and "you" disappear, and where there is no possessor and nothing to possess.
Harmlessness

The Sanskrit word for "non-harming" is ahimsa, or avihiṃsā in Pali, and it describes a practice of not harming or doing violence to anything.

To not harm also requires karuna, or compassion. Karuna goes beyond simply not harming. It is an active sympathy and a willingness to bear the pain of others.

The Eightfold Path is not a list of eight discrete steps. Each aspect of the path supports every other aspect. The Buddha taught that wisdom and compassion arise together and support each other. It's not hard to see how the Wisdom Path of Right View and Right Intention also supports the Ethical Conduct Path of Right Speech, Right Action, and Right Livelihood. And, of course, all aspects are supported by Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, and Right Concentration, the Mental Discipline Path.
Four Practices of Right Intention

The Vietnamese Zen teacher Thich Nhat Hanh has suggested these four practice for Right Intention or Right Thinking:

Ask yourself, "Are you sure?" Write the question on a piece of paper and hang it where you will see it frequently. Wong perceptions lead to incorrect thinking.

Ask yourself, "What am I doing?" to help you come back to the present moment.

Recognize your habit energies. Habit energies like workaholism cause us to lose track of ourselves and our day-to-day lives. When you catch yourself on auto-pilot, say, "Hello, habit energy!"

Cultivate bodhichitta. Bodhichitta is the compassionate wish to realize enlightenment for the sake of others. It becomes the purest of Right Intentions; the motivating force that keep us on the Path.

Quote:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to citybutch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #35
gracefaith

How Do You Identify?:
me

Default what are your thoughts on this?

I can really relate with this:

The Buddha taught his followers not to accept his or any other teachings on blind faith. Instead, by examining teachings in the light of our own experience, we judge for ourselves what teachings we accept as true.

That's great it says color red, I was trying to make that part red... I guess taking me a bit to get the hang of it around here lol...

but the reason why I can relate: is cause this blind faith can be dangerous when following a teaching from someone - remember Jim Jones was his name?

Look what happen blind faith to Jim Jones...

Can you imagine if the followers to Jim Jones would had examine what Jim Jones was saying?

What are your thoughts on this?

gracefaith

Quote:
1. What Is Right View (Thought)?

When the steps of the Eightfold Path are presented in a list, usually Right View is the first step (even though there is no "first" step). Right View supports wisdom. Wisdom in this sense is the understanding of things as they are, as explained in the teachings of the Four Noble Truths.

This understanding is not mere intellectual understanding. It is instead a thorough penetration of the Four Noble Truths. Theravada scholar Wapola Rahula called this penetration "seeing a thing in its true nature, without name and label." (What the Buddha Taught, page 49)

Vietnamese Zen Teacher Thich Nhat Hanh wrote,

"Our happiness and the happiness of those around us depend on our degree of Right View. Touching reality deeply -- knowing what is going on inside and outside of ourselves -- is the way to liberate ourselves from the suffering that is caused by wrong perceptions. Right View is not an ideology, a system, or even a path. It is the insight we have into the reality of life, a living insight that fills us with understanding, peace, and love." (The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching, page 51)

In Mahayana Buddhism, prajna is associated with the intimate realization of shunyata -- the teaching that all phenomena are empty of intrinsic being.
Cultivating Right View

Right View develops from practice of the Eightfold Path. For example, the practice of samadhi through Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration prepares the mind for penetrating insight. Meditation is associated with "Right Concentration."

Ethical conduct through Right Speech, Right Action and Right Livelihood also support Right View through cultivation of compassion. Compassion and wisdom are said to be the two wings of Buddhism. Compassion helps us break through our narrow, self-centered views, which enables wisdom. Wisdom helps us realize nothing is really separate, which enables compassion.

By the same token, the wisdom parts of the path -- Right View and Right Thought -- support the other parts of the path. Ignorance is one of the root poisons that brings with it greed and ill-will.
The Role of Doctrine in Buddhism

However, this doesn't mean the doctrines of Buddhism are optional for Buddhists. Many converts to Buddhism in the West seem to think that all they need is meditation and mindfulness, and that the many doctrines of the Four This and Six That and Twelve Something Else can be ignored. This frivolous attitude is not exactly Right Effort.

Walpola Rahula said of the Eightfold Path, "Practically the whole teaching of the Buddha, to which he devoted himself during 45 years, deals in some way or other with this path." The Buddha explained the Eightfold Path in many different ways, to reach people in different stages of spiritual development.

While Right View is not about doctrinal orthodoxy, that doesn't mean it has no connection to doctrine at all. Thich Nhat Hanh says, "Right View is, most of all, a deep understanding of the Four Noble Truths." Acquaintance with the Four Noble Truths is a big help, to say the least.

As I explained earlier, the Eightfold Path is part of the Four Noble Truths; in fact, it is the Fourth Noble Truth. Right View is penetrating insight into the nature of reality as described in the Four Noble Truths. So, while Right View is something much more profound that merely understanding doctrine, doctrine is still important and should not be brushed aside.

Although these teachings do not have to be "believed in" on faith, they should be understood provisionally. The teachings provide essential guidance, keeping us on the path to genuine wisdom. Without them, mindfulness and meditation can become just self-improvement projects.

A grounding in the teachings presented through the Four Noble Truths includes not just the Truths themselves, but also teachings on how everything is interconnected (Dependent Origination) and on the nature of individual existence (the Five Skandhas). As Walpola Rahula said, the Buddha spent 45 years explaining these teachings. They are what make Buddhism a distinctive spiritual path.

The Following User Says Thank You to gracefaith For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #36
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Citybutch,

There is too much for me to read. Let me focus on 1 item that really came out strong to me. It was your idea on thoughts and prayers. Artdecogoddess has a saying that she says and believes in. I have to say that it has served me well over the years. She says that every thought is a prayer. It is true. Every thought is a prayer. And that is how I try to live my life. Everything and everyone that I am involved with has a thought during any situation I am in. The same with all the decisions I have to make. That thought is positive. Always positive.

Make sense?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #37
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Gracefaith,

I am not sure I understand blind faith in all honesty. I agree with you about the ugly side of it being deception. I have had wayyy too many people who were in authoritive positions/roles in my life who were all talk no action. They lacked integrity if you ask me. That is always why I have a hard time trusting most people.

Enjoy your weekend!

Andrew
Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #38
gracefaith

How Do You Identify?:
me

Default difficulties with their parents

Andrew and to any others who's finding difficulties with their parents...

My dad told me this morning he never wants to see me again nor wants me to ever come over again...

so what does this mean to honor parents.

but what about this: to learn not to honor the verbal abuse from the parent;

I'm really learning this area deeply to learn what is the true parent in the parent - and what is the abuse...

I really feel I fail my dad as he's verbal abusive, it led me to honor his verbal abuse towards me where to the point I panic and now my dad told me he never wants to see me again;

plus, my dad thinks I don't like him:

what?

I've tried so hard to connect with him, but I was trying mistakenly connecting to his abuse, thinking my dad will be happy...

In my trying to connect to my dad's verbal abusing me, I fail to connect to my dad,

however its way to high of an expectation for me to meet to try to connect, as how can I connect to my dad if he clothes in his verbal abuse and doesn't know how to be a parent the truth of a parent,

while I fail at connection and then lost it (my way of losing it is through a means of panic), then my dad told me, he never wants to see me again;...

so honor? isn't it the truth of the parent, for why honor any abuse? What are your thoughts on this?

you were saying about how you handle it with your folks is going with the flow and avoid, I think I need to do this too and stop trying...,

tons of tears fell down my face today. maybe I'm way overly sensitive also...

I love my dad and I did try to show him that I love him, but it fail again...

What is love when I'm not believed

is it then only me going beyond my spirit in an area that is no longer love, but what am I seeking to save then, is save not love - if not love and as I'd analyze this word love, meaning only what God is is love, what am I doing then, if I try and it fails, what am I doing then?

to fail when try to show love is the trying then no good, if I look bad, then what about my trying, or shall I only do what you do, avoid and go with flow;

to try to show love is like an invisible prison.

gracefaith

Quote:

CityButch,

For me, it is the 10 Commandments. What part is hard for anyone to really follow? I know that personally I struggle with the commandment about honoring one's parents. Mine are nuts. So with that said, I just go with the flow. I avoid them, as they do me. But really when you break it down, it is a matter of the Golden Rule.

Andrew
Old 04-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #39
gracefaith

How Do You Identify?:
me

Default judism and christianity what I've notice

Hi Andrew

One thing I learn in Judaism or ones who study Judaism is they tend to to ask themselves what are they learning, where I notice with Christians they tend to cling to repentance,

could it be that the Judaism had given up keeping all their hundreds and hundreds of laws so then decided to find a different purpose and just then learn through asking what they're reading - where as for Christians they only have 10 laws to follow and have a loop hole called repentance so then try to perfect their laws still to this day?

I've notice this; I'm not saying all ok, but I've notice this...

Have you notice this?

Christians rely on repentance to perfect and Judaism rely on asking what they learn to do giving up on trying to follow so many hundreds of laws.

I just notice this seems to be their comprehension aim when reading;

I can't find me to use the loop hole of repentance, but I can go in the area of asking what am I learning; however with the old and the new testament, then, is a combination of Judaism and Christian, however I feel the new testament should had been after Jesus risen,

Jesus walk the earth in the old testament what are your thoughts on this; did Jesus walk the earth during a new testament or still the old testament?

gracefaith

Quote:

Dear Grace,

Thank you for your post to me. I am sure others enjoyed it as well.

For me, I use other religious principles like Buddist, & Judism intertwined with my Christain values. For me, there is no right or wrong when it comes to worship or praising God. It is a means of living life - making the right decisions for me (and me alone).

Life is a struggle for me. Every day is tough. But like I say one day is enough. So I live day to day. For the last 2-3 years I have endured major loss, personal devistation, and my health has really gone down hill. If you have your health, you are so very blessed. It is so expensive to be sick here in the States. That is why I am such a huge advocate for universal healthcare coverage for everyone. My faith is the only thing that has kept me going.

I never wish evil on anyone, but at the sametime, there are some people I just do not wish them well. It is a personal take of mine. I have witnessed karma in action and it is a bear. Something I never want to endure.

People are people every where you go. Good and bad. It is a matter of figuring them out. I struggle with that.

I hope this makes sense.

Namaste,
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to gracefaith For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #40
gracefaith

How Do You Identify?:
me

Default Andrew I respsond in Christ

Life is a struggle for me too; Andrew,

and in my dark time, God is my light; burning in my spirit fire, I feel for you as you injured major loss, personal devastation, and your health...

I wonder what it'll be like someday when we have bodies that won't die and get sick

I"ve learn about my moods which even though you welcome me a great weekend; it'll soon be the weekend; my moods as of right now are on the slight over the the side of where I'm going more into surrender and even more into surrender; ;

and in the midst of my dad saying he doesn't want to ever see me again; this is triggering this mood thats quite interesting; I tell you; in the midst of this mood, I will worship God, allow God to teach me;

for a while I was rebelling against this mood, as I regress backward into my huge panic, as if this mountain of fear and I tell you; I feel I'm on the same page as you, faith that gets me through;

oh at times I'll enjoy dissecting different faiths; such as grammar, did Jesus walk the earth during the old or new testament; fun to dissect...

but there's this: in this mood this mood that I'm in, if I lose everyone if I become homeless I have God.

I won't become homeless now; but I have been homeless before; so I know what that's like; but the point I'm making is; if I lose everything; everything; I have God; I have God who's my home, who's my rock; who's my identity;

all I need is God;

I will live by faith and not by sight; I will be cloth in God's white light; white light that feeds my spirit fire of life; fire of life in my spirit in my chest area; if I fail; God will use it; if my dad never sees my love for him; God will use it; I'm available God;

God I pray; I pray onto you; I give you me; just as I am in this mood; in the midst of this mood; in the shadow I will walk in God; to those who can't forgive me and who never want to see me again; such as my dad; the type of forgiveness where I can't live up to his expectations; if he can't forgiven me then I'll see him in heaven - for he doesn't want to see me here on earth;

to whom rejects me; I'll see in heaven; in this fire of life healing; where there's no death but connection for truth will only be; and this includes even me; where I need healing; my own blame where I went wrong; all can be heal; all is good in God;

I'm in this mood; yet I won't try to rid of this mood; instead in the midst of this mood I'll allow God teach me; yes God yes God a personal relationship;

Andrew actually as this is in this thread; any who reads this; I have zero compass; I had no guidelines I don't know how to be here; I don't know the rules; if I address to you; I'm sure its ok if others writes too; but it is this; I feel God's peace right now; it is God who I will serve, I'm God's child

I might be silent for a while; cause I need God; I need to drink God be alone with God; I need to cry onto God; but I will dress in faith my spiritual clothing God; white light; that lives in me... burns fire of reason to go on;

I'm married to God. God is my husband. I'm God's wife. God is my butch... I'm God's femm...

this I'm attach to, die to self; live as Christ; I will die to self yes and live Christ;

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]