Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 05-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #21
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,908 Times in 1,861 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

It has taken a few days, for me to identify the latest additions, to the backyard, Rock Wrens. Busy little birds!

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/rock_wren/id
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #22
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,784 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation
Default Birding today - Thompson's Harbor State Park

I am either a little too early or a little too late for peak spring migration in northern Michigan. I didn't see nearly the number of bird species that I have in the past few years at this park on Lake Huron. I compared my field notes from the last few years, I saw easily triple the amount of birds two years ago at this park at about the same point in May. We've had some weird weather here the last few weeks, so I don't know if that's screwing with migration this year or what.

Here's my list from today, though. Nothing I don't already have on my life list:

American Redstart
Nashville Warbler
Black and White Warbler
Purple Finch (female only)
Ring-necked Ducks
Common Tern
Red-tailed Hawk
Palm Warbler
Great Blue Heron (that stood statue-still while a yearling deer walked up to it, only to fully spread its wings to scare the deer away when it was less than a yard away -- very cool!)
Wild turkeys (including a male displaying for a female)
And I heard ruffed grouse drumming

Two years ago, I saw at least 6 more warbler species at this park, and flocks of white-crowned sparrows.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #23
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,132 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

They are a dime a dozen here but today I got to watch a Blue Jay chase down a moth.

Apparently there are Caracara's near here as well. Pretty interesting looking birds. I'm going to keep my eye out and take a drive to see if I can't see them.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #24
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
It has taken a few days, for me to identify the latest additions, to the backyard, Rock Wrens. Busy little birds!

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/rock_wren/id
Maybe it's all wrens who are such industrious lil fellers. Around here Carolina wrens abound and will constantly be building nests in and around where you are working. I think they like the co-worker aspect of homebuilding.

I was out in the yard ( at our old place) clearing out a shed and moving stuff from the back porch to the shed. So, the little guys attempted 3 nests that day. One in the shed, one on the back porch and one in one of the holes that run along the top of the truck bed. LOL!

They would always build a little nest in one of my planter boxes too, so we got babies every year.

This year a sparrow has built a nest in Christie's pink hanging begonia! Makes watering a little tricky!
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #25
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

[IMG][/IMG]

Not a great photo but these are the girls' "begonia eggs"!! We'll try to get some shots when they hatch!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #26
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

I spotted one of these yesterday at Emma Long Park here in Austin. Held quite still so I was able to see it very clearly. I did NOT take this picture, though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #27
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

http://sdakotabirds.com/species/phot...le_finch_1.jpg

At our feeder yesterday, a purple finch!
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #28
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation

jess, i love the begonia eggs, how exciting to get to witness baby birds!

thought i should post a link to audubon action center - if anyone is interested in volunteering in or out of state, for the gulf of mexico tragedy.

i'm ready.set. for frontline, if necessary, as i am wildlife rehabilitation certified, et c. from birds to wolves to squirrels!

here is the link, please:

http://www.audubonaction.org/site/Pa...tration_thanks

violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #29
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Default here is the letter you will receive if a rehabber-

May 8, 2010

Dear Volunteer,

We are writing because you indicated that you were a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. We have been advised that all rehabilitation efforts are being coordinated through the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in partnership with Tri-state Bird Rescue & Research. Please see the message below from USFWS, which we have been asked to forward to you. We will continue to communicate with you about additional ways you can help as they arise.

Sincerely yours,
Audubon's Oil Spill Response Team

REQUEST FOR WILDLIFE PARAPROFESSIONAL INFORMATION

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research (Tri-State) who is contracted by British Petroleum to provide wildlife assistance for species who may be impacted by the recent oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. The Service recognizes Tri-State’s expertise in wildlife oil spill response and, while many wildlife organizations and individuals have expressed interest in providing their assistance, all rehabilitation efforts must be coordinated through the Service and Tri-State. Coordination is vitally important for recovery and research efforts, and specific safety requirements and other requirements must be met before anyone will be allowed on-site for any participation.

The Service and Tri-State have designated a Paraprofessional Coordinator (PPC) to compile a list and organize scheduling of potential responders providing the information requested below. Paraprofessionals located within the states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida and Texas will have first preference in scheduling and will be scheduled for efforts located within their home state. If you are located outside of these states and are interested in providing wildlife assistance, please submit the same requested information. All responders will be contacted by the PPC when their assistance is needed.

State rehabilitation organizations, permitted wildlife rehabilitation organizations or private rehabilitators can help now by providing the following information if you would be available to assist in the oil spill response efforts. You must include your name, address including city and state, phone number (prefer cell phone and alternate numbers), email address, if you have prior oil spill experience, and how far you can travel, as well as:

a. If you are a Rehabilitator with at least 6 months of experience;
b. What species you have experience with, i.e. wading birds, raptors, pelagic seabirds, waterfowl, etc. It would also be beneficial to know if you are a veterinarian or an avian veterinarian, a veterinary technician, or a well-seasoned rehabilitator;
c. If you have a minimum of 4 hours of HAZCOM certification;
d. If you have Rabies pre-exposure shots;
e. Your availability. (this can be a rough estimate by identifying dates available)

Please direct inquires or any calls about your interest in providing wildlife assistance to fw4ppc@fws.gov or to 404/679-7049.

A paraprofessional is defined as individuals that:

Either possess, or work directly under a person possessing, an active permit or authorization related to the species to be worked on;
Are affiliated with a wildlife organization working within the Wildlife Branch of the Incident Command Structure (ICS),or are a staff member of a wildlife Trustee agency;
Agree to work under, and abide by, appropriate planning documents prepared by the Unified Command (such as Site Safety Plan, Incident Action Plan, public affairs requirement, etc.) and
Have a working knowledge and experience (at least 3 months) with the general protocol, procedures and safety hazards associated with working on the species of question.
All oiled wildlife calls should be directed to the Wildlife Hotline at 1-866-557-1401 so we can coordinate recovery/rescue.

It is important that you please avoid going to affected areas or handling wildlife until you are part of a coordinated response effort. Thank you in advance for your assistance and for your willingness to help America's wildlife.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #30
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Last year's Hibiscus renters:

First, Mama perches on the Hibiscus bush. You can see that she is egg-heavy here.

The results of all her and Mr. Mockingbird's hard work.

What was interesting to me is that about 5 days into the life of the babies (post hatch) another adult mockingbird was feeding them. I thought I was losing it, until I saw all three at the same time. No squabbling. Not sure how that occurred, but it did. Somewhere I have a picture of the babies actually hatching from the shell.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #31
Enchantress

How Do You Identify?:
A complex confection.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss

Thanked 3,421 Times in 1,201 Posts
Enchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST Reputation
Default Robin Red Breast

The yard is simply filled with the most beautiful full breasted Robins (to date all I've seen are the females). There's something joy inducing about their plump chests...
Enchantress is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enchantress For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 AM   #32
StoneFinn

How Do You Identify?:
Transgressive Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
masculine
Relationship Status:
hog-tied with love

StoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST Reputation

'allo everyone! thank you all so much for everything you are sharing in here (and out with our friends-- don't forget to keep fresh water out )

I will be back after I get some sleep, so much I want to comment on, and reply to... but thought that I would share some photos from this past weekend with everyone...

Violaine- this one is for you-- the Australian White Ibis (in the Royal Botanic Gardens next to the Opera House, Sydney Harbour, Sydney)

Also in the Harbour-- one of our Little Penguins (The Little or Fairy Penguin) Sorry this one is a bit blurry, they only surfaced for a couple of seconds, and I was literally having to jog along the walk to keep up with them trying to get good photos lol

okay-- I will chat with everyone in the morning... hope you are all well!

"If I were to think of and dwell on disastrous possibilities, I could do nothing. I throw myself headlong into my work, and come up again with my studies; if the storm within gets too loud, I take a glass too much to stun myself." ~~ Van Gogh
StoneFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StoneFinn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #33
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Awesome pics StoneFinn! Thanks for sharing them! Hope you sleep well!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #34
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

Smile wading birds - new world vultures are a relative-

http://animals.jrank.org/pages/459/W...TERISTICS.html

to storks and ibis.

* .. .
The New World vultures were moved into this group with the wading birds because they are more closely related to storks than they are to hawks and eagles, but many people still think of all vultures as birds of prey.

All of the ciconiiforms (birds in the order Ciconiiformes) have big bills and long necks, bulky bodies with short tails, long legs and toes, and large, broad wings. They are all medium to very large birds, and males and females look alike. Very few of these birds have colorful feathers—most are combinations of gray, brown, black, or white. But many of the wading birds and vultures have bare parts on their heads, necks, and legs that are very colorful .. . *

there's a VERY good book i would suggest to anyone interested [in new world vultures/old world are covered]- raptors, the birds of prey, an almanac of hawks, eagles, and falcons of the world- scott weidensaul.

thank you for the beautiful image, stone finn!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2010, 12:30 AM   #35
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

Default jobs/internships/scholarships/volunteers

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/netcomm...1737#clojobs=1
The Following User Says Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #36
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

Smile wow!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #37
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Thanked 11,917 Times in 2,700 Posts
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

A piece of film we took of our Crow Family ~ and the new Offspring!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #38
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

I need help. I have a goose in my bathtub. Chinese Goose most likely female from the small knob and type of honk.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #39
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
I want to get a birding book and do some serious, binoculars-in-hand, early-freaking-morning birding.
Another thing for the *To Do* list..

grin...
Old 06-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #40
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Another thing for the *To Do* list..

grin...
I adore you EVEN more now. You are so on!