Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #1341
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

"The Tail Wagging The Dog"............

The smallest or least important part of something in control of the larger or more important elements; a reversal of typical roles or dynamics of power.

People talk about the tail wagging the dog to describe a situation where an unimportant part of something or an unimportant person or group involved in something has too much influence over it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #1342
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,124 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation
Default ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
"The Tail Wagging The Dog"............

The smallest or least important part of something in control of the larger or more important elements; a reversal of typical roles or dynamics of power.

People talk about the tail wagging the dog to describe a situation where an unimportant part of something or an unimportant person or group involved in something has too much influence over it.
lol homoe what a mental image lol
Old 12-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #1343
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ocean View Post
lol homoe what a mental image lol

now the idiom........"Running Around Like A Chicken With Its Head Cut Off" THAT is a mental visual my dear!
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #1344
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

My mom was a very wise woman when it came to affairs of the heart!! She used to say this idiom to my hetero sister when she was breaking up with one of her many beau's, something to the effect of................

"It's Better To Cut Off The Dog's Tail In One Clean Swift Stroke"

I think it meant to end things abruptly and not to go back then try and end it things once again.

Sidebar: You never realize how smart your parents really were till you get older!
Old 12-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #1345
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,985 Times in 9,937 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
My mom was a very wise woman when it came to affairs of the heart!! She used to say this idiom to my hetero sister when she was breaking up with one of her many beau's, something to the effect of................

"It's Better To Cut Off The Dog's Tail In One Clean Swift Stroke"

I think it meant to end things abruptly and not to go back then try and end it things once again.

Sidebar: You never realize how smart your parents really were till you get older!
I think it's wise to enforce clean breaks. I've never heard of your mother's saying, but it seems very wise to me!

_____ ______
Old 12-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #1346
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Some Gets Their Just Desserts".............

They get paid back for dirty deeds they have committed.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #1347
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Just waitin' for the Robert E. Lee.

southern saying

Means sitting around waiting for no particular reason and in no hurry to do anything.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walking in tall cotton.

also southern saying

Means that one has had a good crop this year. Plans to make more money than usual come harvest time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cathexis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #1348
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Park Yourself"...............

Sit down

To be honest I have no idea if this is an idiom or just something either my mom or myself just made up......
Old 12-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #1349
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Why Buy The Cow When You Can Get The Milk Free".............

As I recall this has something to do with men getting premarital sex then they wouldn't marry the woman or something to that effect!
Old 12-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #1350
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation
Default ~

Quote:
"Why Buy The Cow When You Can Get The Milk Free".............

As I recall this has something to do with men getting premarital sex then they wouldn't marry the woman or something to that effect!
FREE MILK ~ thank god i'm lactose intolerant
Old 12-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #1351
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Default ~

Quote:
"Park Yourself"...............

Sit down

To be honest I have no idea if this is an idiom or just something either my mom or myself just made up......
I can hear the backup sounds now and see'ing 2 guys w/those thingys backing that thing up LOLOL oy u crack me up lol
Old 12-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #1352
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ocean View Post
FREE MILK ~ thank god i'm lactose intolerant
It's been SO LONG since I have had "milk" I've forgot how it "tasted"! wiggling eyebrows
Old 12-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #1353
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Go To Bad For"...........................

To lend support to somebody or some project.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #1354
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,985 Times in 9,937 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I like that idiomatic expression Go To Bat For

It's interesting to me how the game of Baseball is connected to many social expressions!

For example: First Base....

This fragment of an baseball term is used when articulating how one gets to the first base on anything (An job interview, getting an job, or even how to get to first base on getting a date).

_____ ______
Old 12-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #1355
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Cover All Your Bases"....................

Leave nothing to chance! Make sure you consider all the options and plan ahead for anything that could go wrong.

Sidebar: Yes many idioms do derive from baseball terms indeed Miss Katz
Old 12-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #1356
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Strike Out".........................

To not succeed at something!
Old 12-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #1357
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Hit A Home Run"..................:

To succeed at something.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:06 PM   #1358
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

A Ball Park Figure"................

An estimate or guess at how much something may cost!
Old 12-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #1359
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Throw A Curve Ball"........................

To surprise someone with something.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #1360
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Touch Base".........................

To talk briefly to someone.
Closed Thread