Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Thinking Harder

Old 12-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #21
Smiling

How Do You Identify?:
with a distinct flair

Thanked 4,382 Times in 1,009 Posts
Smiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST Reputation

Okie,

Quick derail: I read about the drone delivery! Is that absolutely crazy or what? I don't find it so surprising that the technology is possible; but that we are so close to it being implemented scrambles my brain. I guess the FAA is skeptical that they will be able to put the necessary controls on it in that amount of time, though. It will be very interesting to see! They are only going to be able to stem the tide of air traffic for so long, in my opinion; with the flying cars, motorcycles, etc. in the works.

Okay, sorry everyone! Just wanted to say that and we aren't allowed enough characters in rep comments to satisfy my big mouth on this issue, lol.

Carry on....

Last edited by Smiling; 12-02-2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: lol, I can't even type the phrase "carry on" without reading it in a Tim Gunn voice. lol, I just love him.
Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smiling For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #22
PinkieLee

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
I need ya boo, gotta see ya boo

Thanked 13,088 Times in 3,051 Posts
PinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
Saving money can be a challenge and I am always interested in how others put away for a rainy day. Here is what we are currently doing. What's your saving tips?

Red and I are always thinking of fun ways to save money. We are currently on the $5.00 savings plan which means every time we get a $5.00 bill in change we have to put it in our hiding place. We did this for 4 months before fall break in October and had an amazing $700.00 saved for our vacation.

Here is another one we decided to also start for our Christmas spending money for next year.

http://savingabuck.com/
I saw this just the other day on Pinterest! What a great idea!
PinkieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PinkieLee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Yesterday I was cleaning out the freezer and found I had let a few things stay in there to long,it wasn't much but was a waist of $ to put them in the garbage.So with that being said I now have a chart of what's where and how much,when I use something up I can check the chart and restock..hopefully no more stuff in the garbage.I also get thing in bulk if possable that are non perishable then put then in a air tight container.Another thing I have done is I have a large camp stove that runs on butain or charcole even wood chips if thats all I have,it even has a 21/2X21/2 oven on the side to bake with.We use to camp out a lot so I just put this equipment to contenued use in case the stove has a problem,it's a gas stove but the pilot light works with electricty so if the juice is out it wont light anything..a safety measure built in.
With old man winter having the possablity of being bad this year(we are due one) my son is putting a generator to kick in if the power goes out so we won't lose whats in the fridge or either freezer,replaceing the contents would cost a bundle.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #24
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
Yesterday I was cleaning out the freezer and found I had let a few things stay in there to long,it wasn't much but was a waist of $ to put them in the garbage.So with that being said I now have a chart of what's where and how much,when I use something up I can check the chart and restock..hopefully no more stuff in the garbage.I also get thing in bulk if possable that are non perishable then put then in a air tight container.Another thing I have done is I have a large camp stove that runs on butain or charcole even wood chips if thats all I have,it even has a 21/2X21/2 oven on the side to bake with.We use to camp out a lot so I just put this equipment to contenued use in case the stove has a problem,it's a gas stove but the pilot light works with electricty so if the juice is out it wont light anything..a safety measure built in.
With old man winter having the possablity of being bad this year(we are due one) my son is putting a generator to kick in if the power goes out so we won't lose whats in the fridge or either freezer,replaceing the contents would cost a bundle.
We have started menu planning so we do not buy what we do not need or simply because it is on sale and forget about it. I like the list idea for the freezer. Think I'll put the dryer eraser board I am not using on the wall by the freezer and organize everything. That way I can quickly take note before shopping.

Thanks for the great tip.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #25
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation
Default Another tip.

I have always had an herb guarden so I can use them fresh when I need them,I also have a dehydrator that I use to dry the herbs for future use during the winter.As for spices,if they are kept in a tightly sealed container they will last a good while just also keep them in a cool dry place to help it last longer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #26
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I have always had an herb guarden so I can use them fresh when I need them,I also have a dehydrator that I use to dry the herbs for future use during the winter.As for spices,if they are kept in a tightly sealed container they will last a good while just also keep them in a cool dry place to help it last longer.
We use our fresh herbs year around. I have a small indoor greenhouse I keep going year around. Note: If we lived where you are we would be eating out more than we should at the little restaurant that use to be a gas station. :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #27
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

I find if I plan meals for a week, then load the e-coupons and clip the paper ones for things I know I'll use, I can save much $ at the store.

Since I'm trying to be (ahem) smaller, I've been buying my "in-between" clothes at the Goodwill. I can get away with very basic, neutral colors. I buy for my two sons there, also. Just today I picked up a wooden magazine rack for the living room-$5. Most of my art is thrift store, then reframed if necessary.

I mostly watch for sales, if the store is very close. Too far, and it's not worth the time or gas. I have a Target, Kroger, Walgreen's, and a Kohl's all within 10 minutes. I try my darndest not to shop at the nearby Walmart, though.

Something I've noticed-yes, it's important to save, but I've been trying to get value when I do spend. For instance, the other day I was out and about all darn day and starving. Instead of going to McD's and feeling physically but not emotionally full, I took myself to my favorite deli place where I get a huge sandwich, chips, pickle, a drink, and dessert for the same money. I love it there, the people are nice, and I feel like I spent well. So that's my challenge for 2014; to save, yes, but not cheap myself out.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #28
sofimichi

How Do You Identify?:
Femmeinist
Preferred Pronoun?:
femenine ones, "hey you," etc.
Relationship Status:
Engaged!

sofimichi Has the BEST Reputationsofimichi Has the BEST Reputationsofimichi Has the BEST Reputationsofimichi Has the BEST Reputationsofimichi Has the BEST Reputationsofimichi Has the BEST Reputationsofimichi Has the BEST Reputationsofimichi Has the BEST Reputationsofimichi Has the BEST Reputationsofimichi Has the BEST Reputationsofimichi Has the BEST Reputation

*le suscribes to the thread*
sofimichi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sofimichi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #29
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
We use our fresh herbs year around. I have a small indoor greenhouse I keep going year around. Note: If we lived where you are we would be eating out more than we should at the little restaurant that use to be a gas station. :-)

Going out to eat is something I am careful about,there is a small place I like to go once in a while that has the best Italian food that I have found since eating in my grannies kitchen.The family has owned it for five generations,the atmosphere is as old world as they come,they have known every generations of my family since the great grand folks came from Italy If I ate there as much as I would like I would be as big as a barrel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #30
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Quote:
Going out to eat is something I am careful about,there is a small place I like to go once in a while that has the best Italian food that I have found since eating in my grannies kitchen.The family has owned it for five generations,the atmosphere is as old world as they come,they have known every generations of my family since the great grand folks came from Italy If I ate there as much as I would like I would be as big as a barrel.
We will in your town in March! Maybe we can meet up!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #31
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
We will in your town in March! Maybe we can meet up!
Great,let me know when.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #32
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I do a few things. For buying things like food I get all of my staples in bulk beans, quinoa, rice, spices, nuts. I buy fruit and veg that are in season and on sale at a huge ethnic produce stand, then fish/meat at a warehouse store. I do all of my cooking at home. Almost never go out, I like the food here better.

I also do a little game with my regular bills like utilities, insurance, etc. I have a Visa card that gets me Amazon points and I buy non-food items online. I pay all of my bills, most are auto-pay so no forgetting, with the Visa to earn the points and then just pay the card off each month. That way I get the extra consumer protection, maintain my Fico score (otherwise lack of activity drags it down) and net $20-30 per month in points.

All of my transactions are automatically recorded into an online finance tracker (mint.com). It is set with triggers to let me know if anything is off budget and it emails me a summary each week, you can set different intervals.

Mostly though, I just don't spend it if it isn't truly necessary.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #33
Jar

How Do You Identify?:
TG Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, da bomb...
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,340 Times in 534 Posts
Jar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
All of my transactions are automatically recorded into an online finance tracker (mint.com). It is set with triggers to let me know if anything is off budget and it emails me a summary each week, you can set different intervals.
I use mint.com also. It does most everything Quicken is supposed to do (but doesn't) and it's free. It even keeps track of what my condo would sell for. Pretty cool

No matter what life brings you, always learn a lesson from your dog ... kick some grass over that shit and move on
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jar For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #34
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I do a few things. For buying things like food I get all of my staples in bulk beans, quinoa, rice, spices, nuts. I buy fruit and veg that are in season and on sale at a huge ethnic produce stand, then fish/meat at a warehouse store. I do all of my cooking at home. Almost never go out, I like the food here better.

I also do a little game with my regular bills like utilities, insurance, etc. I have a Visa card that gets me Amazon points and I buy non-food items online. I pay all of my bills, most are auto-pay so no forgetting, with the Visa to earn the points and then just pay the card off each month. That way I get the extra consumer protection, maintain my Fico score (otherwise lack of activity drags it down) and net $20-30 per month in points.

Yes, to the paying off the credit card each month, that goes without saying. May parents do what Kelt did and I should do as well, pay all bills with a card (instead of autopay out of my checking account) that reaps me benefits.

Buying in bulk goes without saying as well. I am also super stickler for getting those Select -a-size paper towels. I also only use as much as needed. I find that for most things I only need half of the smallest Select-a-size piece. I also focus on not letting food go to waste (leftovers), that drives me nuts.

Oh, and don't forget to get energy effcient appliances. I also have my temperature control on a timer. The heat goes down during the day (when I am at work)/overnight, automatically. Other small things like keeping lights off in rooms, energy efficient light bulbs, and keeping blinds drawn in the winter to conserve heat.

My spending waste is modifications/upgrades for my sports car. Really though, I only do one project per year and I wait until I get my tax return for that.

Oh, I also hold on to cars. My "daily driver", is a 14 year old car, in fine shape. I have wanted a Wrangler Jeep for years, but have stayed strong! My sports car is 12 years old.

Ok, so it looks as though I could be worse! I am sure I would do better if I used mint.com, as it would motivate me.

Great thread!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #35
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Quote:

I use mint.com myself. I love it. I also am a big fan of any kind of points I can earn.
The Following User Says Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #36
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Eight years ago I bought a 91 caddi for $4,000.00( in cash) it still drives very well with few if any issues,mostly the sensors but It runs good just the same.Having a son who is a mechanic is a plus for the few things that needs doing.
My son is bit by bit going green with the house,this summer we found out we were in a hail storm zone an were eligable for a new roof that the inshrance covered.Then he had blown insalation put in the attic,replaced the old a.c. with a new energy effenct one as the old fart wen't out when it least needed to as for the heater it was put in new right before we bought the house.The next two thing he is doing is a generator,then he is wanting to put solar panels on the roof to have a clean sorce of electricty then sell the excess back to the juice co.new windows are on the list to,probly next year.All the refit's are tax deductable to a point. We have also thinking about a green house with hydrophonic plant system,I have done this before and it worked really good,fresh tomatoes is a plus in the winter.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #37
ruffryder

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
guy ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 9,678 Times in 2,875 Posts
ruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputation

I don't.

LOL

I have a 401 K which I need to start investing more in.

We TRY to eat our leftovers and not waste food at home.

I look for the cheapest place to get gasoline.

I base my food consumption and meals based on what is on sale besides necessities.

I have a bank account that distributes 1.00 to a savings account every time I use my debit card which can be anywhere from 3-15.00 a week. I always tend to take that money out though when I have something coming up to use it for. I guess I'll be saving money in there for a few months for spring break and then our trip to LR next year.

I will be watching this great thread for other tips.
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ruffryder For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #38
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffryder View Post

I have a 401 K which I need to start investing more in.
Make sure you invest at least "up to the match". Meaning, if your company will match up to 3% of the percentage you put in, put in at least 3%. 6% of your income will be being saved then!

Simply don't let it be a choice to not do this. Don't throw away free money!

What I need to get better at (meaning, actually do!), is increase my 401K/403b contribution each year when I get my raise (a measley 1%). I should automatically put that 1% increase into my 403b (or actually, in my case I would put it into my Roth, but, that is besides the point...)

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #39
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Custom Italian suits from Darya Trading, an importer in LA. I bought a lined, custom all weather black suit listed for 1500.00 for 99.00 with shipping. The fabric and craftsmanship are beautiful.

Italian sport jacket listed at 489.00 for 69.00. Lined and custom fit.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #40
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Default Safety system.

We all can think of ways to be safe in our homes,with all the thing that we use an accidental fire or short can happen to anyone.In my kitchen I have two fire extinguishers (one was hear when I got the place) in case it's needed,I also have one in the laundry room,also I have fire & gas detectors in nearly every room.When I was in culinary school we had an issue with the large industrail mixer when it shorted out and the kitchen near went up in flames,there were several of us working there at the time so when it happened we called the fire department but also tried to put out the fire,one student ran to get a bucket of water to put it out,I stopped her then use the fire extengusher to put it out.After it was all over I made shure every student we had a safety class so everyone was up on kitchen safety.This is something we all should think about,first aid is another thing we all should be able to use if needed. Hear at home I have a placard on every front window so the fire department will know I have fur kids in the house so they can help them if they can.In doing all the safety step I have done has dropped my house inshurance to a lower rate.Many years ago I took a EMT class and have stayed current on any new training,one never knows when knowing how to save a life or the need for first aid.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post: