RebelDyke

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her/Hers...please no male ID..it's insulting
Relationship Status:
settled and content

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,574 Posts
RebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST Reputation

Respect, honesty, loyalty, and highly affectionate. Like almost giggling high school crush affectionate. Sneaking kisses by the sink or flirts from across the room. One who can appreciate a hot water bottle for their back, lol. Someone who is highly adaptable as well. But above all realistic expectations and admissions. I need someone who is not afraid to be vulnerable, and knows themselves well enough. (did i mention a talker on occasion as well?)

Am I asking too much?
RebelDyke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RebelDyke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 09:16 PM   #222
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,399 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

Balance
Mentally, emotionally, financially, career, educationally, theologically, entertainment, sexually, maturity, culturally, goals, intent, yeah there is probably more but basically it's about balance

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #223
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

There is a bunch of articulate posts by members on what they want and need in an relationship, in this forum thread. I enjoyed reading posts here.

I have dated off and on, with people I get to know locally. I've been in an number of relationships, over my lifetime. Some were awesome, other's were not so awesome.

I also have grown and evolved in terms of what I used to think I would want or need in any given type of relationship. For example, with the small circle of friends I have known here at home (ie, at work or in other private life type ways), we all know each other in up close and personal ways. Our bonds of friendship has lasted years and years, because we each know each other in ways which fosters trust, understanding, and an wide variety of other items which many feel is important in nurturing long time bonds of friendship (reciprocity, loyalty, etc).

As far as Romantic types of relationships, I have an set of expectations (which are many) that helps me to decide if it's wise to be involved with someone in romantic ways.

Some of those expectations are as follows (based on my own life experience and outcomes):

1) Be Honest. Tell the truth. Don't manipulate facts or so-called facts to support your position.

2) Don't monopolize my time or exert control. I'm allergic to domineering, controlling, manipulative personality issues.

3) Be Liberal, where politics is concerned.

4) Be Self Reliant (because I am, I value this trait highly).

5) Be kind. Be courteous. Be pleasant. Above all, be compassionate, yet humble.

6) Value an spirit of willingness to do the right thing, then do the right thing (as long as it brings no harm to others or yourself). This is an tricky thing to do because, in my opinion, on the surface, the premise of this type of thing basically speaks to an much larger social idea about perfection. To me, it's not about being perfect. It's about being able to "Do The Right Thing" when there seems to be no other way to decide the right thing to do. For example, if one spends an significant time getting to know another person and one sees that it just won't work out to be friends or to be in an romantic relationship, then I think it's better to let go and move on, rather than try to make something work that will never work out.

7) Be willing to understand that I have no need or desire to prioritize sex in an intimate relationship. I'm not opposed to an gratifying sex life, but I have been traumatized by past sexual offences committed against me. Don't expect me to be over those past offences. It's an part of my life that has scarred me. It hasn't ruined me at all, but it does serve an purpose in my life: It informs me of an person's intent toward me. If by chance I discover in an getting-to-know-you type of process that an person has undiscovered offensive sexual issues, then that person will not have any place in my life.

8) Value Safety in all facets of life.

9) As an reminder, I don't feel the need to be in an romantic relationship, at this time. I value the peace I feel in my current status of being single.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #224
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Thanked 7,264 Times in 2,158 Posts
Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Balance
Mentally, emotionally, financially, career, educationally, theologically, entertainment, sexually, maturity, culturally, goals, intent, yeah there is probably more but basically it's about balance
Yes, coming from those finely balanced digits, tanned to perfection, I would expect no less.

Mine are scarred, veined, mismatched, strong but soft, but balanced? I'm lucky to put one foot in front of the other most days.
Sweet Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 03:21 PM   #225
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

My list has changed. Im very picky now at what i want and need and who as well.

Albert Einstein
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #226
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,475 Times in 10,186 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

I want romance, flirting, attention, wit to match mine, spontaneous activities, and be able to make me laugh.
Be open to agree to disagree

I need, above all, good communication and real honesty.

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #227
Happyfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Thanked 5,013 Times in 1,509 Posts
Happyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyfemme View Post
I need for the person to be kind, caring, respectful, intelligent, hard working, understanding, protective, and perform gender in a masculine way. Also no issues with alcohol, substances, or other addictive behaviors. The person and I are focused on each other and how to build the relationship. There should never be a situation in which the person is putting me or others down.
I want the person to be older than I am.
I think I enjoy most of these qualities in friends as well.
Happyfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Happyfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #228
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

I was about to add my short list of nonnegotiables and there they are! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bèsame* View Post
I need, above all, good communication and real honesty.
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 09:55 PM   #229
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

I've been thinking about this because I'm putting a big toe back in the dating pool after years away.

I've come to grips being a demiromantic and that it is not what other people really understand or share.

I don't get crushes on people I don't know well. So I'm not going to get butterflys and act goofy over someone I don't know.

I'm a sapiophile as well. I'm not going to go stupid over the way someone looks. Nor am I going to get vulgar over some butches muscles. I mean, I'll think they are *nice*. But I'm never going to throw my panties at them or dribble on them.

I grow in love with people, I don't fall in love with people. I still get there. But not the way most people want, and not in the time frame most people want. Roses and chocolates are lost on me. I don't really get traditional romance stuff.

I get the romance of true friendship. *Really* knowing someone and loving them for the way they climb a tree. Or pour a cup or tea for you. Or how they only eat slightly green bananas. I love the romance of real friendship and how organic that is, that you can't say "oh first you do this, and then you do that, and then, it goes this way."

The is no code, no formula, no ritual to it. It just happens because it does, because you enjoy each other and you allow each other to be who you are.

And because I'm a demiromantic, sex does not make me feel more attached to someone. Or less. Unless its continual sex added to the mix of continual friendship that just keeps organically making its way to a stronger bond.

However, I know that pretty much leaves me out of the 45+ crowd in the USA of butch-femme. Its a good thing I'm in Canada. It mostly leaves me out of the loop here though, as well in my age group.

People 35 and under get this. But they are too young for me.

people put romance before friendship and I can't do that. I can put sex before friendship or romance. But romance does not go before friendship in my universe. I will have a fun shag with someone who's company I enjoy as a human being, but I will not hold their hand having ice cream until I know them as a proper friend first. and I don't mean "oh I met you 4 times" kind of friend. A *proper* friend.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 12:43 AM   #230
Femmadian

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 2,414 Times in 362 Posts
Femmadian Has the BEST ReputationFemmadian Has the BEST ReputationFemmadian Has the BEST ReputationFemmadian Has the BEST ReputationFemmadian Has the BEST ReputationFemmadian Has the BEST ReputationFemmadian Has the BEST ReputationFemmadian Has the BEST ReputationFemmadian Has the BEST ReputationFemmadian Has the BEST ReputationFemmadian Has the BEST Reputation

I've met so many new people in the last six months and reconnected with so many others that with all these getting-to-know-you conversations going on simultaneously, its given me occasion to reflect on what it is I need and desire to have in any relationship, whether friendly, familial, or otherwise.

Beyond the obvious things that I think everyone wants (and in no particular order), at this point in my life I'm finding these things to be important to me:
  • Playfulness.
  • Equal parts intelligence and humility.
  • Someone who knows they don't have all the answers (not necessarily the same thing as above) .
  • Gentleness of spirit and action. Likewise, a life history showing evidence of a compassionate heart.
  • Someone who sees the good in people... or will keep on trying until they do.
  • The ability to be kind when it is tough and a person who, when they see a vulnerably exposed neck on someone else, refuses to go for the jugular.
  • Someone who owns and understands their long term mental health quirks, who actively works to be functional in spite of them and does not lead a life ruled by them. I'm not talking about occasional blips, like situational depression or anxiety in high stress environments/periods in your life. I'm talking life long trends... being self aware enough to know what they are and being proactive enough to work with and around them.
  • A genuine interest in other people. Two way conversations, intentional cultivation, and someone who listens rather than simply waiting to speak... it's so vital for any meaningful connection.
  • Someone who does not clutch their woundedness so close to their chest, white knuckled fist, pained expression, deathly afraid to let it go. As a personality trait, I have no patience for this anymore. I am not discounting or rejecting people's trauma or life experiences but rather the kind of person who builds their identity around being a constant victim their whole life. I can't stand it. Everyone on this green Earth has been wounded, some severely and repeatedly. While the feelings arising from it are valid, woundedness does not (IMO), in and of itself, make someone special. Their resilience in the face of it does. I need someone who knows the difference.
  • Someone who sees and seeks nuance... Someone who sees very little in life as black or white and who genuinely wants to see all the other shades there are in between.
  • Earnestness, enthusiasm, and emoting without shame (or trying really hard to get there; we all have different starting points). Talk about your corniest or weirdest thoughts, geek out enthusiastically, show that soft underbelly, and express those other emotions like no one ever made you feel silly or sheepish for doing so. I think you're brave as anything for doing it and I will admire the hell out of you every time I see you try (whether or not you ever truly succeed).
  • Someone who has a sense of poetry to their lives. Talk of your former friends and lovers with the respect they deserve. Speak of them with love and thoughtfulness, acknowledge the pathos and the joy, and show me your vulnerability while their name is on your lips.
  • Show me the qualities you're proud of. Don't inform me about them. Please don't boast. Show. Me. I want to fall in love with who you are as a human. Please give me the opportunity.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #231
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femmadian View Post
I've met so many new people in the last six months and reconnected with so many others that with all these getting-to-know-you conversations going on simultaneously, its given me occasion to reflect on what it is I need and desire to have in any relationship, whether friendly, familial, or otherwise.

Beyond the obvious things that I think everyone wants (and in no particular order), at this point in my life I'm finding these things to be important to me:
  • Playfulness.
  • Equal parts intelligence and humility.
  • Someone who knows they don't have all the answers (not necessarily the same thing as above) .
  • Gentleness of spirit and action. Likewise, a life history showing evidence of a compassionate heart.
  • Someone who sees the good in people... or will keep on trying until they do.
  • The ability to be kind when it is tough and a person who, when they see a vulnerably exposed neck on someone else, refuses to go for the jugular.
  • Someone who owns and understands their long term mental health quirks, who actively works to be functional in spite of them and does not lead a life ruled by them. I'm not talking about occasional blips, like situational depression or anxiety in high stress environments/periods in your life. I'm talking life long trends... being self aware enough to know what they are and being proactive enough to work with and around them.
  • A genuine interest in other people. Two way conversations, intentional cultivation, and someone who listens rather than simply waiting to speak... it's so vital for any meaningful connection.
  • Someone who does not clutch their woundedness so close to their chest, white knuckled fist, pained expression, deathly afraid to let it go. As a personality trait, I have no patience for this anymore. I am not discounting or rejecting people's trauma or life experiences but rather the kind of person who builds their identity around being a constant victim their whole life. I can't stand it. Everyone on this green Earth has been wounded, some severely and repeatedly. While the feelings arising from it are valid, woundedness does not (IMO), in and of itself, make someone special. Their resilience in the face of it does. I need someone who knows the difference.
  • Someone who sees and seeks nuance... Someone who sees very little in life as black or white and who genuinely wants to see all the other shades there are in between.
  • Earnestness, enthusiasm, and emoting without shame (or trying really hard to get there; we all have different starting points). Talk about your corniest or weirdest thoughts, geek out enthusiastically, show that soft underbelly, and express those other emotions like no one ever made you feel silly or sheepish for doing so. I think you're brave as anything for doing it and I will admire the hell out of you every time I see you try (whether or not you ever truly succeed).
  • Someone who has a sense of poetry to their lives. Talk of your former friends and lovers with the respect they deserve. Speak of them with love and thoughtfulness, acknowledge the pathos and the joy, and show me your vulnerability while their name is on your lips.
  • Show me the qualities you're proud of. Don't inform me about them. Please don't boast. Show. Me. I want to fall in love with who you are as a human. Please give me the opportunity.
That you have a cognitive list of traits is great!!! I think the last one is really important. That it is shown. I do LOVE to natter with folks. Its fun and I am an extravert so for me its necessary for me in order to put my thoughts in order. But no, I don't really hold words for truth anymore from folks, I know better. So as you say, I need to be shown. And not with someone's best date foot forward - I want to see who they are, really.

I hate dating. I like hanging out. I'm not a formal person. I loved going on dates with someone I was *seeing* and already knew and trusted. I loved going on dates with my ex-wife. But I hate dating strangers. It feels like a fucking job interview with forced romance.

Anyway, traits?
  • similar sense of humour
  • interest in sciency or geek shit for those long conversations and fun outings
  • patience. They really have to know how to put something down for a while and go and do something else. Impatient people ride me for things and I can't. Not anymore.
  • the ability to feel connected to others without needing daily contact. That's a big one.
  • Confidence that things are ok right now as they are. And confidence in the ability to change them if they are not.
  • Not looking for another human to bring meaning to their life because they already have that.
  • Not emotionally mecurial, capricous. Emotionally fairly even. I don't mean one feeling, but I mean I am not dealing with extreme emotions every time I see them.
  • Loves independance - for themselves and others. Dosen't need to be needed by a partner. Prefers to be wanted.
  • Dosen't want to live with me or share finances.
  • Wants to wait and see until there is actual trust formed from having time and experience with each other. Not expect payment in vulnerability for time put in. People become friends because it works, not because they expect something at the end of it.

That last one is a big one. If someone is dogpiling all these romantic daydream end points into the friendship, from the very beginning, that's not really how it works. That just feels like pressure.

But the genuine understanding that its ok if this is just friendship or hey, if it turns out it grows into something else, that would be good. And then mentally *leaving it there.*

It's *totally* ok to notice it now and again, the other person's attractive qualities and have a wandering thought.

But I really do notice when people's trajectories are "I wonder when this will be long enough to date." :s and I hate it. Its not sincere friendship.

thanks for the thought provoking post about traits.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 09:09 PM   #232
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

Not many in this big city have what I am looking for so, when I do start really dating, I do not see an easy road ahead of me.

Friends first is what I am going by this time around!

Albert Einstein
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:

Tags
couples, love, relationship, relationships, single